Afraid To Fall In Love

By halimalili

A muslim love story about a lady called minal who 's world comes crashing as her love life takes a drastic tu... More

Final Year
The Boyfriend
The Bachelor
The Blind Date
Surprise!
Graduation
Home Sweet Home.
Unwanted Guests
Bumped
Eid Mubarak
Rain And Rainbows
Wedding Bells
The Ultimatum
Next To You
Wishes
The Employee
Signed,Sealed....
Twists and Turns
Pretence
Hurricane
Twinning
New Friends
Mine
Apologies
Something New
...Of The Past
...Of The Past 2
Confessions
Unintended Promises
Money For Love
Truth
Court Case
Moving In
Baby Steps.
Under The Stars.
With This Ring
Hearts As One
Feels Like Home
Broken
Untold Stories
About That Night
Love At Last.
Little Secrets
Zara
New Book

Living Nightmares

4.7K 483 10
By halimalili

Its been a while since I started tolerating  Mahmud and his tantrums, he really doesn't seem that bad but I still find him really annoying especially the way he follows me around like a lost puppy.

The promises I made to his mother keeps tormenting my soul, though as time goes by I feel more relieved trying to keep up with it. I am starting to notice the way he looks at me as if I am the only living person in the room, and when our eyes meet it's like the world is at a stand still, "weird right?"

Today for the the first time after several days of pleading I had agreed to go out with Mahmud for lunch and I can't stop thinking of what to wear and why I am so anxious and enthusiastic about this lunch.

I performed a two raka'at prayer before Zuhur and went into the bathroom soaking away my worries in a perfumed bathtub as the warmness of the water relieved me of very bit of stress.

It took me an our to decide on what I was going to were, and finally I settled on a peach and ash long sleeved couture dress with a very light makeup and a peach scarf to go with my lovely dress I came out looking elegant and breathtaking as the comments kept coming from Mamie and Amani who were waiting for me in the living room not to forget the teasing from Nasreen.

I met him outside in the garage, he was looking like a picture on the cover of a fashion magazine, he almost caught me staring. He opened the front door ushering me in. I wasn't in love with him but it sure felt good... Really good.

He pulled over at some Italian restaurant I have never even heard of, it was so classy and posh, the red carpet isle, the maroon and gold deco was to die for. I was carried away by the huge Chandler in the middle of the hall giving a glossy spark to the gold fabrics on the tables as he confirmed our reservations.

"May we?" A tiny voice brought me back from my little imaginary world, it came from a young lady standing right next to me with a very bright smile. I smiled back following behind her as she led us to our table.

"Did I mention how gorgeous you are looking?" He asked with his eyes stationed on mine as he gave me his seductive smile, I smiled back then looked away..shyly going through the menu.

"What would you like to have" a middle aged man asked patiently waiting to take our orders.

"I would have some cotoletta and spiced shrimps" Mahmud answered politely.

"Spaghetti and meatballs would do" I request,

"Right away" he answered pouring us each a glass of cold water before leaving.

It took a couple of minutes before our food was served and in that period I had to put up with Mahmud running his mouth telling me how much he loves my smile alone, it was an essay long I tell you.

As soon as i had the first bite my phone began to ring in my clutch, I hung my head down reaching for the phone before it drew any more attention, but he was quick to hold my hand.

"No phones!... Remember?" He gave me a convincing pout so I place the phone next to me on the table muting it.

I watched the phone ring over and over again, though it was a number unknown to me I was still tempted to answer, I kept staring at the phone ring while he spoke about God knows what.

"Minal" he spoke reaching for my hands, " I guess its important" he continued seeing the way the phone is ringing non stop.

"Salamu alaikum" I answered waiting for a response.

"Wa alaikis salam my Minali" I heard his voice coming through from the other side of the line, his melodious voice that was once music to my ears, the only person who called me his, the only man who loved me the way I wanted to be loved and tore my heart apart when I needed him most, the same man that loved me as much as he hurt me. How was I suppose to react, he caught me off guard, I couldn't say a word, it felt like I was being buried under all sorts of emotions,

"Are you there" I heard him say

"Ah..ermm...yeah...yes" I began to stammer as I noticed Mahmud's attention on me.

And then the call was hung, But I couldn't keep the phone from my ear, I wanted more of the voice I have longed for, slowly I placed the phone on the table quietly playing with my food as I have lost my appetite.

"Are you okay" I heard Mahmud say,

"Oh yeah...I am okay" I lied

"Then why are you so quite...who was that on the phone?" he asked noticing how absent minded I was.

"Ohh just a friend" I replied
"Can we leave now?" I added putting my phone in my clutch getting ready to leave,

" but you barely ate!" He stated pointing to my plate of spaghetti.

"Yeah! I am not hungry" I replied sheepishly.

He got up and paid the bills before leaving the restaurant, it was a quite drive back home, and as soon as he pulled over I got out and walked straight to my room as he trailed behind, I could hear Mamie asking him if he did anything wrong right before I got into the room locking the door behind me.

I leaned on the door and then slowly sloping to the ground, I needed to let it all out, I needed to cry it all out, I just wanted to be alone.

My phone began to ring again, i rushed to open my clutch bag, I had a lot of questions I wanted to asked... Where he had been, why he left, why he didn't contact me all this while but as soon as I answered the call the only thing that came out of my mouth was "why, why" as fresh set of tears took over the conversation.

"Calm down My minal, calm down... I can explain" he kept muttering

"Why" I asked again

"I was arrested just before our Kamu, but I promise I had nothing to do with it, it was just a business deal gone wrong but because all the evidence was pointing to me I had to go to jail to await trial" he tried to explain.

"What!" I shout in shock,

"I am innocent please believe me, I have been cleared of all charges and now we can get married peacefully" he went on.

"Its to late Nazeer... Its too late" I tried to explain as more tears ran down my cheeks.

"What do you mean Minal?" He asked impatiently.

"The wedding went on without you, you didn't show up, there was no message from you... I am Married to Mahmud" I replied

"What the hell Minal!" He yelled, "you couldn't even wait for me, you promised.... You promised Minal" he kept yelling and all I could do was cry.

"It wasn't me, I waited... I swear" I tried to defend myself.

"Whatever!... You don't think I will let you go like that do you? you are my wife, and mine alone, I will kill who ever looks at you in a different way, I will kill him..... You are my wife" he kept yelling, he has never been this aggressive with me, I have never seen this side of him, could it be the effects of being in jail for several months? I kept trying to convince myself but I was scared to death.

"What has come over you?" I managed to ask

"You are mine, and nobody can take you away from me, I will ruin who ever tries to separate us Wallahi! " he shout just before hanging up the call.

I began to feel feverish coupled with a bit of dizziness, I tried to reach for the bathroom but slumped to the floor before I could open the door to the bathroom.

Mahmud

I couldn't find peace after the way we parted even though Mamie suggested that I give her a little space to calm down, I walked to her room when I noticed that Mamie has left to her room. I kept knocking on the door calling her name but there was no answer, I could feel it in my heart that something was wrong otherwise she would have opened the door out of annoyance.

"I will break down this door" I yelled but there was no answer, she was scaring me, what if something bad had happened to her? I kept asking myself, I had to break down the door only to find the love of my life laying there almost lifeless on the floor.

I carried her in my arms and rushed out to the car. I called Mamie to let her know before reaching the hospital. But telling her not to worry or panic was as useless so I hung up the phone and concentrated on driving so we could get there faster.

The doctor attended to her as soon as we arrived at the hospital and I was asked to wait outside in the waiting area. I have never been so worried in a long time. A year ago I could care less that she was brought to the hospital in this condition but look at how I am going crazy seeing her in this state.

"Ya Allah, save my wife...save my Minal" I muttered with my face in my palm

Mamie and the girls arrived after a short while and sat next to me as we waited for the doctor attending to her.

He came out of the room shortly assuring us that she was going to be fine after getting enough rest. We went in to see her sleeping peacefully. It was getting late so I asked Mamie to go home while I stay over for the night, she agreed after a lot of persuasion and I was left alone with Minal.

I stared at her innocent face as I prayed to God that she recovers fast so I could tell her how much she means to me.

"Naa.." I heard her mutter under her breath so I moved closer thinking she was awake,

"Naa... Nazeer" she muttered again,

"Oh Allah, she still calls his name in her sleep, even after all this while" I murmured as jealousy and anger filled my heart but I still couldn't let go of her hands.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

72.1K 6.6K 26
❤️Amina is a beautiful,smart ,loving ,chatterbox and a caring person. She's a straight forward lady until she met Muhammad ❤️ ❤️Muhammad on the other...
3.1K 40 13
Nothing just "Our story".
9.3K 904 35
Meet Umma Khalthum Mayana, an orphan whom lives with her uncle and his family, a beautiful, intelligent and pious lady. Jovial is what you'd describe...
262K 12.7K 41
It is just a love story with mixed emotions, some ups and downs of life which was overcome at last. A long journey of relationship fulfilment and dut...