To Be A Killer

By GravityWillFall01

Book 3 in the in To Be A Runner series. If you have not read books 1 and 2, I seriously suggest you do that b... More

Chapter 1: Break Your Heart
Chapter 2: Safety Dance
Chapter 3: Rescue Me
Chapter 4: Last Kiss
Chapter 5: Left To My Own Devices
Chapter 6: I Would
Chapter 7: Walk Of Life
Chapter 8: Young And Beautiful
Chapter 9: Career Day
Chapter 10: Courtesy Call
Chapter 11: Life's A Happy Song
Chapter 12: The Negative
Chapter 13: Believe
Chapter 14: Give Me Your Eyes
Chapter 16: The Man Who Sold The World
Chapter 17: Nicotine
Chapter 18: Stray Cat Strut
Chapter 19: Halo
Chapter 20: Ready To Start
Chapter 21: Autopilot
Chapter 22: Keeper Of Secrets
Chapter 23: Veronica
Chapter 24: Battle Scars
Chapter 25: Battle Born
Chapter 26: Carry Me Home
Chapter 27: Blackout
Chapter 28: I've Got A Theory
Chapter 29: Descent
Chapter 30: Full Disclosure
Chapter 31: Only Love Can Break Your Heart
Chapter 32: Sin In My Heart
Chapter 33: Your Cheatin' Heart
Chapter 34: I'm With Stupid
Chapter 35: The Moment I Knew
Chapter 36: Return To The Forbidden Planet
Chapter 37: Congratulations
Chapter 38: The Road Goes Ever On And On
Chapter 39: You're Not Sorry
Chapter 40: Brand New Start
Chapter 41: Light Up The Sky
Chapter 42: Blue
Chapter 43: Burn
Chapter 44: A Little Night Music
Chaptet 45: All The Right Moves
Chapter 46: Where's Your Head At
Chapter 47: Submission
Chapter 48: Scream And Shout
Chapter 49: Dynamite
Chapter 50: Upside Down
Chapter 51: Seventeen
Chapter 52: I Crush Everything
Chapter 53: Leave My Brain Alone
Chapter 54: If Today Was Your Last Day
Chapter 55: Old World
Chapter 56: Back In Your Head
Chapter 57: My Demons
Chapter 58: We're Needed
Chapter 59: Colors
Chapter 60: It's Raining Again
Chapter 61: Addicted To Love
Chapter 62: Interiors
Chapter 63: Insane In The Brain
Chapter 64: Human
Chapter 65: Love Is A Stranger
Chapter 66: Satisfied
Chapter 67: Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Chapter 68: Aquarius
Chapter 69: Shoot The Runner
Chapter 70: Comfortably Numb
Chapter 71: Reunion Tour
Chapter 72: Control
Chapter 73: Things I'll Never Say
Chapter 74: Sowing Season
Chapter 75: Lifeboat
Chapter 76: Listen All You People
Chapter 77: Bad Moon Rising (Part 1)
Chapter 78: Bad Moon Rising (Part 2)
Chapter 79: Shiver Me Timbers
Chapter 80: There Is Power In A Union
Chapter 81: Milkman of Human Kindness
Chapter 82: I've Got A Dream
Chapter 83: Into The Light
Chapter 84: Natural Anthem
Chapter 85: Rollercoasters
Chapter 86: War Of Hearts
Chapter 87: Up
Chapter 88: Mombo No. 5
Chapter 89: Sacrifice
Book 4 Announcement

Chapter 15: I Don't Want To Get Over You

182 19 30
By GravityWillFall01

"It doesn't hurt to double check," Sam insists. "You'll be following the Dunderwood-"

"The Dunderwood bypass?" Owen guesses, and Sam huffs. They've done this to him four times already-interrupting him. They're doing it to prove a point because he's said these words about a dozen times so far.

But I wish he'd tell me exactly where we're doing, since I was late. I had to help Penelope with a few last minute math problems on her homework. I missed the briefing because of it. Now I'm sort of just going with it since no one has told me anything.

"Yes, the Dunderwood bypass." I can practically see him rolling his eyes. "And my favorite color is...?"

"Green," Paula and I answer in unison. She scoffs. "Obviously."

"How the hell did you know that? I mean, I told Five, but-"

"I can't imagine any other reason you wore that T-shirt yesterday."

"It was a present."

Louise laughs. "From what? A leprechaun?"

I snicker at her joke, but the laughter fades as I take a look around the area. I remember it, vaguely. I've ran by these areas a few times but never went too close to it because I didn't want to get shot. I think of my half missing ear, and the scar on my forearm. I don't want to go through that again.

"Why... why are we in Deadlock territory?" I question. "We shouldn't even be on the edges of Deadlock territory. I'd like my body to not be full of bullets by the end of this mission, thanks."

It seems that now everybody remembers I have no clue as to what we're doing. After some shared smiles of equal embarrassment for forgetting, Paula starts to explain.

"We're hunting for one of Van Ark's bases. I know he had one somewhere in Deadlock territory. I think it might be where he kept his Comansys research. He never told me the precise location, but without any other leads to follow, it's gotta be worth a nose around."

I nod. Yes, that makes sense. I remember Paula telling us how Van Ark was obsessed with Comansys, and he believed they were the ones who really started the zombie apocalypse. He might've been right, seeing that Patient Zero worked for Comansys. Still though, just because he's right about that doesn't mean he knew everything. His notes might not be of any use to us, but it's worth a shot, especially since I've not been able to get enough time alone in the coms shack to look up anything on Roufflenet.

"Yeah, and the last known sighting of the Phantom of Abel was around here too," Sam adds.

My shoulders tense. "Can we please not talk about that? We have an actual mission to focus on. We didn't come all this way to-to look for some sort of-some sort of nonsense."

"Five, are you saying that to convince me the Phantom of Abel isn't real, or are you saying that to convince yourself? Either way, you're doing a terrible job."

"It's not real," Paula says firmly as she rolls her eyes. I try to keep a straight face, and Louise looks undeterred by the subject. Owen looks a little skeptical, but it's Sam who actually is starting to think this Phantom might actually exist.

"I don't know. Some weird stuff's been going missing lately. I've even lost things from the coms shack."

Owen snorts, his brown eyes shining. "They're probably buried under all the curly-wurly wrappers."

I laugh, but I use my hands to cover my mouth to muffle it. I can't draw too much attention to us. Deadlocks have deadly aim and we already know they shoot to kill. If I'm going to risk getting shot, I want it to be because I'm running away with files about Comansys in my hands.

But that'll only happen if we can find the base, and if that base has anything actually useful to us.

I hope it will. I don't want to end up getting shot in the arm or shoulder or something only to find out there was no reason for it.

"I think we should start over in Moreland Park," Paula says. "Lots of empty space for Van Ark to hide a facility."

"And lots of Deadlocks, so be careful."

Silence falls over us shortly after, but seeing how I can't keep my voice from straining when the Phantom of Abel is mentioned, I think it'd be best if I kept quiet.

This seems like the type of place Van Ark would put a base holding crucial files and documents. It's dangerous here, and there's a possibility of us being seen and shot at any second. That's how he kept this stuff safe, I'm guessing. Van Ark was crazy, but that doesn't mean he wasn't smart. He knew what he was doing when he put this place here. At the time it was heavily guarded with his men, plus the Deadlocks helped since it was their territory and they never like visitors. It's the perfect hiding place.

He knew we'd never even think of it since Paula wasn't with us at that time; And even if we did think of it, we wouldn't go in because only an idiot would go into enemy territory without proper proof that what's needed is actually there.

Van Ark also thought I'd be easier to kill. A tiny teenager who was mute for the longest time and also had one hell of an attitude-surely it couldn't be that hard. That's probably what he thought. I sure did give him a run for his money.

It's been almost five months since he died. It's August thirty-first. It'll be five months in thirteen days. He died the same day our people left. That all seems like an eternity ago. I remember it all, of course. I remember the experiments he did on me. I remember when he dragged me behind that damn jeep. I remember when he got bitten when I first officially met him, and he ran off, making us all believe he was a good person.

How blind we were.

But... this seems so much worse than what he was planning to do, simply because we don't know what Comansys has planned. At least we knew what Van Ark wanted to do, so we could find a way to stop it. This... we have no idea.

I'd rather go through a full cycle of Van Ark's testing than have Caleb gone, or Maxine gone, or Ed or Grant (although he's dead now). If I could trade myself to get them back, I would. The pain that I'd go through would be worth it because they'd be safe.

Too bad life doesn't work that way.

Up ahead is a big fence, with holes torn through it from the zoms. Thankfully no zombies are around right now. At least, there's none that I can see. No Deadlocks either. Good. Makes things easier for us.

"I'm guessing this is the park entrance?" I ask.

"Yeah," Sam answers. "No one's ever mapped in here. Wasn't any reason to risk it. You'll need to quarter the area, see what you can find."

"And what if the Deadlocks show up?" Owen questions, his hands twisting and picking at his right sleeve nervously. "Our plan is to wing it?"

Louise grins slyly. "That's what I do best. What's that thing they say? You know, about God laughing?"

"When man plans, God laughs," Paula says. "Maxine was always saying that."

"Maybe she learnt it off me."

"Yeah... I suppose she must have."

An awkward pause settles around us, and Owen and I share a slightly nervous look. Paula and Louise don't... talk to each other that much. I mean, Louise was Maxine's first girlfriend, so I guess that must be awkward for Paula. They don't show any hard feelings for each other. At least, not that I've seen. They may hate each other in secret or something. That's a girl code thing.

Does girl code even exist now that the world's ended?

"Okay then," Sam says, clearing his throat. "Deadlocks are dangerous and unpredictable to say the least. Try to get this done fast, guys."

"We'll do it as quick as we can," Paula says as we head inside.

It's quiet, but not suspiciously quiet. Still, I'm glad I brought my gun with me, along with my trusty axe. Owen and Louise have also brought weapons along, but I'm not sure about Paula. She doesn't like handling weapons because of her... condition. One scratch, one drop of blood on any of our skin and we'll turn in minutes or less. That's how it was with Van Ark-that's how it with zombies who have been zombies around three and a half to four years and longer.

We haven't tested it with Paula, but we don't need to; We know, as does she.

So far I can't see much-just a crap ton of bushes. They need to be trimmed, but I know that's not really a priority in the apocalypse, and it's really not something you want to do if you're trying to hide a secret villain base.

You wouldn't want to do it if you were hiding a secret hero base either, but that's beside the point.

Remaining silent, my eyes scan over the bushes and the few shacks that definitely belong to the Deadlocks. We try to avoid those since someone could be in there with a gun, and I'd rather not lose another chunk of my ear. I mean, if I wore leather and had a tattoo that said 'I LOVE MOM', I'd look the stereotypical cartoon biker, except not as intimidating.

Something about this place seems awfully familiar, which is odd since none of us have ever been here before. I've been in Deadlock territory before, but not here. I went to that factory district once when Nadia wanted to kill me, and we went through a construction site belonging to them when Sarah, Simon and I had to stop a chemical spill in Abel.

God, that seems so long ago... and in reality it was just a few months ago.

It happened in early February, I think, or maybe late January... Funny how quickly things can change.

We keep going, and I keep quiet, picking up the few minuscule things I find-a paper clip, a note pad, a sports bra.

"Why would anyone even leave a sports bra just lying around?" Sam asks, and I shrug.

"Maybe it wasn't in her size?" I shove it in my backpack. Out of everything I've seen, an abandoned sports bra is a highlight to my day, especially since I can never find anything in my size since I'm so small. I think puberty is just starting to kick in since I've grown about half an inch, so it's more like a nudge instead of a full blown kick anyhow. I've already accepted the fact that I'll be short forever.

"First quarter done," Paula announces. "Nothing but bushes and Deadlock shacks. Can't say I think much of their lamb entrail decorating style. I mean, it's fine for the Passover, but the rest of the year..."

In all honesty, I didn't even notice the blood. I mean, I did, but I thought it was only human entrails that were scattered about, from the zombies and the Deadlocks. I've almost gotten used to the faint metallic smell that's permanently in the air. It's like after a large battle. Blood paints the skies and its scent is heavily in the air. Death was here, and the mark of death will always be here to remind us that no one escapes it.

"Reminds me of dirty protests in the nic," Louise says with an eye roll. "Never saw the point myself."

"Actually, this place reminds me of a Demons and Darkness campaign-Moonbeast of Mogdenermors," Sam says. "It was so cool. There were these-"

"Oh, my God," Paula interrupts, her eyes lighting up. "The invisible monsters. That was Maxi's favorite. She was so proud of those monsters."

"You know, as hard I try, I still can't understand that game, even when I do mange to stay awake the entire time," I say.

"That's because you don't understand magic or wizards or seers or like, ancient prophecies."

"Prophecies? I don't understand prophecies?" I laugh. "For one, I'm Christian, meaning I believe in Jesus Christ who was prophesied to do many things, which He did. And I believe in prophecy that He will return." I pause and let out a small hum. "And what else? Oh! Tony and Chrys."

The three running beside me look confused as hell at that last part-Paula looks a bit suspicious-but Sam understands exactly where I'm going with this.

"Oh, right. Yeah... Have you-"

"No," I lie.

I hear an intake of breath, as if Sam is going to question me more, but before he can Louise screeches to a halt.

"Wait." She points ahead. "That bush just twitched, and it wasn't the wind."

I grab my gun that's strapped to my hip, pointing it ahead. "Think it was a Deadlock?"

"I don't know. There was... it looked like a face, but it wasn't right. It wasn't human."

Sam hums. "I'm getting nothing. It's like whoever it is-whatever it is, knows where to hide, like it knows where the cameras are."

"Well, that's comforting," I say.

"Really? Now's the time you choose to be sarcastic?"

"What better time than when our lives could be in danger?"

"Funny, you are."

"What do you think it is?" I ask, my tone becoming serious.

"Could be the Phantom."

I scowl. "Not funny, Sam. You get onto me for being sarcastic, but then you say that."

I stop suddenly, taking a look at the three that are watching me. Their eyes are focused, curious-not exactly concerned, but bordering on it.

It's because they can see it. They see it on my face.

They know I'm afraid.

And I am. I'm afraid that this might be the dream-the dream about the Phantom of Abel.

No, it can't be. I was alone in that dream. I was being chased by enemies. I'm not alone, and we haven't seen a Deadlock yet, besides that thing was not the Phantom. Everything's fine. Everything's fine.

"What?" I ask a bit too defensively, and Paula clears her throat.

"Or it could be someone Van Ark left to guard the base. The Phantom isn't real, Sam."

"We need to split up," Louise suggests. "Circle 'round-pincer movement."

Owen pales. His blood drains from his face so quickly, I fear the young man may faint. "Split up? You know that's how horror movie starts now, right?"

She deadpans. "The dead have risen from the grave. We're already in a horror movie."

Paula nods. "And we have to find out if there's someone here. Come on."

"Okay, then uh, Owen, keep going straight, Five, head west, and Paula and Louise, you head east and then split off," Sam says. "I see no zom activity except for a few stranglers far out towards the east. I think you all should be good."

I've already started to head off, putting my gun back in its holster. A heavy weight settles in my stomach as I look back, watching everyone disappear in the trees and bushes. I'm all by myself now.

I'm completely alone... in enemy territory.

No. That's not... the Phantom of Abel can't be real... can it?

Of course, it can, The logical part of me says. That's a surprise, since usually that's the part of me that usually says something isn't real. But I'm pretty sure if my logical side had a physical form, she'd slap me for being so stupid.

Zombies are real, there was a man who was literally immortal, mind-control exists, there are little girls who can pimp out excavators. I mean, how can I actually be asking that?

It might not be real, though... There's no enemies. We're still safe. I'm still safe.

For now.

I gulp, my mind racing and my heart pounding in my chest. But I don't say anything; I don't make a single sound, I keep it all inside, my face expressionless even though there's no one to see my face anymore. I can't freak myself out, especially since I don't know if it's actually my dream coming true.

This could just be me being paranoid. I'm paranoid a lot, so this being one of those times wouldn't be all that surprising.

But also my dreams have been very accurate in the past, so this being one of those times wouldn't be all that surprising either.

"Okay, nothing so far," Sam says, "and no Deadlocks. Just keep heading out a bit further. We want whoever's in there to think we've given up looking, and you've covered half the area now."

Half the area and we've still seen nothing.

"Louise," Paula says, "can I... can I ask you something?"

"Yeah. Anything, as long as it's not where I hid the loot," She jokes.

"No, I-well..."

"You want to ask me about Maxine."

She sighs. "Yeah. You were her first. You-"

"Recruited her?"

Paula laughs lightly. "From what she told me, she didn't need much persuading."

"Yeah, she was a natural."

There's some more light laughter, but I ignore it as I take another look around, nearly turning myself around completely to see what's behind me.

Nothing. Well, I see nothing. That doesn't mean that there's nothing there though. There's this... feeling swirling in my chest, making me grab my backpack strap. I feel as if I'm being watched.

"It wasn't like that with her and me. I had to convince her to give us a go."

"But she's crazy about you, Paula," Sam says, and I'm sure Paula's shrugging, wherever she is.

"But she was a gold star, like you, Louise, right?"

"Yep. Never been with a man. Never really saw the point of them in the trouser department. I mean, no offense."

"Um, none taken?" Sam says awkwardly.

"Maxi had a real problem with me being bi when we first started going out." Paula tells. "You know how lesbians can be sometimes."

"Not really," He mumbles.

"I think she was always worrying. 'What if Paula cheated on me with a man?'" She snorts. "It's like she thought I would wake up one night, look at the woman I love and think, 'What I need right now is a good, hard male rogering.' Ya know?"

"I do now," He mutters uncomfortably, and I have to bite the inside of my cheek to keep from laughing.

"I know what you mean," Louise says. "Maxi was just so afraid you'd leave her, she thought it'd be best not to get involved at all."

"When it comes to her feelings, she's so cautious, but in every other way, she's such a risk taker."

"Yeah, she was wilder than all of us back in the day," She agrees. "Did you ever play poker with her?"

"Oh, God, yes. I remember once she went all in on a pair of duces. She lost, so we went to my parent's house for Jewish Christmas. Roast turkey, carols, but absolutely no baby Jesus in a manger."

But that's the entire meaning of Christmas, I think to myself.

"Maxi always likes to bet, even when she has nothing," She continues. "I... think about what's happening to her now."

"Yeah, I thought about that-Comansys and whatever they've done to her."

I try not to. I try not to think about what could be happening, or how much pain she might be in. I don't want to think about that.

"If she got the chance, she'd make a break for it or try to send a message," Paula says, and I know she's right. Maxine would try to get back to her-to Abel. And she'd tell us what happened there, even if telling the truth would make her life harder.

"Okay, guys, start heading back the way you came," Sam says as I approach the fence-it's not the entrance, but I could quickly scale it and get out of the park area. "If there is anyone in that wooded area, you've got most of the escape routes covered."

"Nothing from my direction," Owen says.

"Nothing here either," Louise adds, her tone holding the slightest bit of disappointment, "except for a few zoms. Only a few shamblers though. They're on my tail, but I'm ahead of them."

We're still apart, looking around for that base. So far the search has been fruitless, and I'm starting to become restless. I can feel eyes on me, but I'm not sure if there's actually someone there or if I'm just psyching myself out.

But I hope we can regroup soon. I have my axe with me, and my gun, but I'd rather just be with someone. I think that would help with my irrational fears.

"I've got a few figures to my four o'clock, Sam," Paula says.

"Looks like fast zoms. They-they haven't spotted you yet, I don't think. Just keep moving," He replies.

"Nothing I can't handle. It's amazing how quickly you can get used to something."

"Maxi said you were a fast learner." There's a smile in Louise's voice, and there's surprise in Paula's.

"You talked to Maxi about me?"

"After Abel helped us out, she wouldn't stop going on about you. 'Oh, Paula's so clever. I miss Paula so much. Paula's so beautiful. She's the love of my life.' Bored the tits off me."

I snicker at both her remarks and her failed attempt at an American accent.

"Oh," She says in surprise. "I thought she-I don't know. I thought maybe you and her-I mean, I wasn't there and-"

"Listen, I know what you wanted to ask me." She sighs. "Thing is, Paula, me and Maxine started easy and ended over easy. No feelings involved. You never forget your first, but you never stay with them either, not if you've got any sense. It's not like I've been huntin' for some action. There's a reason they set poor movies in women's prisons. You know what I mean?"

"Yeah, I suppose so. Listen, we should get together and-"

A bullet whizzes past my face, hitting a nearby tree instead of my head. I hear gunshots over my headset.

Crap. This is not good.

"What the hell was that?" Owen shrieks.

"Oh, bugger!" Sam spits out. "The Deadlocks. I was concentrating so hard on the zoms, I forgot about them."

More bullets fly past me, the sound nearly deafening. One flies past and nearly takes a chunk out of my side. If I hadn't jumped out of the way, I'd be dead.

"They must've been hiding, watching us," Paula says. "They're trying to keep us from meeting up."

"It's working," Louise says. "I'm cut off."

"It's okay. I'll make sure you all get back to Abel. Uh, we'll have to chase the Phantom another day," He replies. "Just run!"

My heartbeat pounds in my chest as I run. Every step, every breath-it could be my last if those Deadlocks get a good enough aim.

The trees help shield me, just as it helped hide them. I can hear Sam talking to Owen over his headset, telling him where he should go, what he should do. I don't really listen, though.

They've managed to box Louise in, but Sam said something about him finding a hole in their grouping. I know she's going to make it out. I know they're all going to make it out.

I was alone in my dream, meaning the others must get away.

"Five, I want you to-"

"Don't worry about me," I force out, my mind screaming at me because my thoughts on this are actually really stupid. "I'll be fine. Focus on getting the others out. I'll jump the fence. That'll slow 'em down a little bit."

"But-"

"Sam, get the others out. You've gotta trust me on this one. I... I know what I'm doing."

At least, I hope I do.

Now I hope this is the dream becoming reality. I hope this mysterious Phantom comes to save me. If he doesn't, I'm going to die.

He sighs heavily. "Runner Six, I need you to keep going straight and then make a hard left in about thirty feet. You can use the trees as cover..."

He keeps talking, but it's hard to really hear him from all the gunshots. From the sound of it, they've a half mile behind me, maybe less. They'll still be after me when I leave the park, but there's a patch of trees just outside it-about a half mile away. If I sprint, I can reach it before they leave the park, and then they'll loose sight of me, hopefully.

The fencing is just ahead. It's not in the best condition, but I can climb it. Might even be able to do some parkour shit if I keep running at this speed.

I jump, grabbing onto the fence and swinging my legs over it, hitting the ground, not wasting another second before sprinting off. My heart is pounding, and there's drops of sweat dripping off my nose. I can get there in approximately four minutes if I don't slow down.

God, I hope they don't see me. Please let them be too far behind for them to see me-

There's gunshots from behind me.

Shit.

That patch of trees will not help now since there's no use in trying to hide. So I divert into one of the nearby roads, still going as quickly as I can. There are a few trees and bushes and other things of nature that help shield me. That combined with the fact I'm so far ahead of them keeps me safe for now.

"How's... how's everything going, Sam?" I pant.

"Um... not that great for you, I don't think. I thought you said you knew what you were doing."

"I did-do... kind of." The gunshots are becoming fewer and farther in between, but that's not because they've stopped perusing. I'm just too far away from them to get a good shot, and they thankfully don't have any snipers with them in those trees.

"It-it doesn't matter. Keep going down that road until you get to the T-junction. The good news is Louise, Paula and Owen are in the clear and heading back to Abel. The bad news is it's because most of the Deadlocks have decided to focus on you. It's-it's becoming kind of hard to trust you here, Five."

"I'm gonna be... okay. I think. If he comes."

"He? He who? Your guardian angel?"

I roll my eyes at his sarcasm. "Uh, no. I actually don't know who it is and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be angry when I see him, but if I'm right then he's going to help me."

"This isn't the time for jokes."

Says the guy who was just being sarcastic.

"I'm not joking."

"You're not making any sense, Five!"

I force a laugh. "When do I ever?"

"Look, just keep going, and conserve ammo unless you're in immediate da-wait, hang on. Who's that ahead of you?"

"I don't know." I grab my gun just as static starts coming through my headset. The figure ahead is wearing a mask. It covers most of its face. It's heading right for me.

It's him.

"Five, you need... be careful... Damn it! What... hell... this signal!" His voice is coming in and out, and the figure's getting closer. "Can you... hear me, Five? I think... someone... Phantom... Just run!"

His voice cuts off completely, and I look up at the man approaching me. I screech to a stop. My chest tightens, and even though I know what my dream says will happen, I fire a warning shot.

"Don't think I won't shoot..." My loud voice dies off when the figure gets closer. I see his face-not all of it, but just enough.

"No," I whisper. "No. No. No."

My hands start shaking as the man keeps coming, although now he comes towards me a little more cautiously.

This is impossible. How can he...

I know who this is. I thought I'd never see him again. I'm not supposed to ever see him again. He's supposed to be dead.

The man puts out his hand cautiously, and he looks me straight in the eyes.

"Woe, put that gun away, Five. You don't want to shoot me, do you?"

I shake my head, but keep the gun pointed at him. I'm frozen in shock. This isn't possible. It can't be. He can't-

He smiles beneath the mask. "You don't want to hurt your old friend Simon-your old friend, Runner Three-now would ya?"

A/N: Hey! Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. That certainly was a plot twist, wasn't it? Are you surprised to see Simon again? Did you miss him? Be sure to tell me in the comments.

This chapter is dedicated to Natalie81013.

Thank you all and have a blessed day!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

To Be A Leader By Gravity

Mystery / Thriller

3.8K 459 64
Book 6 in the To Be A Runner series A missing general, hired assassins, a crazed Prime Minister, a voice in my head, and two sides on the verge of wa...
To Be A Rebel By Gravity

Mystery / Thriller

4.6K 678 61
Book 5 in the To Be A Runner series. I suggest you read the other four (and short story) before reading this one to avoid confusion. An evil governme...
957 400 24
After stalking down her murderer ex-boyfriend, Zephrilia is kidnapped and learns the truth of the reason her former lover, Elias committed horrendous...
436K 17.4K 43
Highest ranked- #10 in action 2/16/2017 A promotion. That's all I wanted. I didn't want to run for my life. I didn't want to be kidnapped...