1 | Gods & Monsters ✓

Od hcwilhelm

[Featured on WATTPAD PICKS] The last thing you'd imagine Earth's General having is an identity crisis, let al... Více

GODS & MONSTERS
ACT I
PRELUDE
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
ACT II
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
AUTHOR'S NOTE
GLOSSARY
SOUNDTRACK
COVER EVOLUTION
PREQUEL BOOK

Chapter 37

263 31 66
Od hcwilhelm

"Ava, where are you!"

Gio. Is that you? Ava reached out. Brother.

Blurry figures ran towards the wall, Gio in the lead, thermal goggles covered his eyes. He ran as fast as he could, but when the twins popped up, Marc blocked her view.

Marc unsheathed his long sword and stabbed it into the ground. Black vines flared from the blade like a fire engulfing a field, snapping at whoever got too close. This was the curse mark of the Crown Prince—the dark art of manipulating the shadows into whatever plant he conjured.

Branches crawled over the barrier and blocked out the sun, but with so many thorns they couldn't possibly block out all the light. He looked back once they were covered under his protection. "I was hoping I didn't have to kill anyone else. But since you had to mess everything up, you've left me no choice."

No. Why does everyone have to die for me! Her heart clenched when she spit blood onto the grass. The spell absorbed it, consuming it whole, and for a split second, she imagined it doing the same to her body.

The winter air steamed into heat, baking them slowly within an oven. Marc wiped the sweat from his forehead and frantically searched the perimeter. A spot burned through the veins, and through the opening, a fiery white falcon flew high in the clouds.

That was the ability to control a sun's spirit. There were only two beings Ava knew who had this ability—Caterina and Gio.

The falcon's flaming wings engulfed the sky and rose far above the dome. Its body was so massive it blocked out the sun. It cried a horrendous scream, cracking the crust beneath the spell's solid glass base. Marc swiftly wrote out the character for barrier in quick movements as a surge of electricity spiked their hairs.

Ava prayed to the stars for salvation on her mom's soul.

The sun's own flames doused the earth, burned through the dirt and black vines, shattered the first barrier and then the second. It was so hard to breathe. Her entire body shook like she'd be ripped apart. The air stank of molten lava and burnt toast. While others feared Caterina's power, Ava strived to be at her level of greatness.

But it still wasn't enough.

Caterina collapsed to one knee. She used everything she had. Scorched marks sizzled across the entire terrain, smelling of charred remains, and yet the spell was intact. Not even a sun could take it down. If Mom can't destroy this, then can a reaper really help me?

Marc stood with only a few healing burned scars and singed hair. The curse mark crawled on his arm, wrapped his sword. He was getting serious if he was using the full strength of that curse.

Struggling, Caterina clutched her arm. Her silk robe was in shambles, torched at the sleeves with smoke wafting off her hands. When she limped towards Marc, she stumbled forward, landing face first into Gio's shoulder.

"I knew I should never have trusted you—an Ama," Caterina sneered. "You will burn for this Crown Prince! I will see to it that you do!"

Her left hand engulfed in flames. Fire licked her fingers, enchanting those who watched. Gio held her back by. She refused to flee, but Gio refused to let her go. He covered her with his body as a bright light crashed next to the barrier. Black swords clashed with a white blade. It was so blinding at first, it took a moment for Ava's eyes to re-adjust.

The air quickly chilled and nipped Ava's skin. Her hair rose, her whole body shivered. She never felt so frightened before in her life from just staring at a sword. Yet, it was the most beautiful sword she'd ever seen. It was intricate and fragile, the thin blade of an angel's wing.

Darious held the white blade steady, pressing it further into Marc's swords, hoping he'd give into the pressure. The Crown Princes' curse mark slithered its way up Marc's shoulders to his face, and cloaked his right arm in thorny vines.

He easily pushed Darious back with his new strength. "You told me to let her go."

"I didn't tell you to kill her!" Darious snapped back.

Darious overcame Marc's strength. The swords slid up his blade. He kicked Marc back into the dome and stabbed the tip straight into his shoulder, centimeters from his neck. A sharp noise pricked Ava's ear, she flinched.

Marc strained to keep Darious back. He caught the white blade before it sliced off his neck. Darious applied more pressure. The sword inched further into his skin.

"Go ahead and kill me," he grunted. "It won't matter. The spell is set in motion. It won't stop until she's dead."

The blade dug deeper into his neck, but even then Darious didn't finish him off. A dark laughter bellowed from Marc. "The god of life is useless in a fight if he can't kill his own opponent. I guess it's not my time to die."

"Why I haven't killed you, yet, has nothing to do with my abilities as a god. It's because I have a heart. And locking you up would be much more entertaining."

Josh appeared with a giant hammer and struck hard where they stood. Marc dodged the attack. Rocks burst into smithereens, shook the ground under a miniature earthquake. A horn blared into Ava's eardrums. It didn't damage the dome wall at all, instead showed the wall curved deep underground. I'm trapped in a fucking ball.

Ava hacked and coughed onto the glass floor. More blood disappeared into the spell. She was nearing the end. She didn't know how much more she could take. The pain was so excruciating. I might die at this rate.

There was a knock on the wall to her right. Shocks zapped her body under a faint pulse. When she turned her head, she found Mika standing there. He searched the exterior wall—but like Ava he found nothing. But he was here. She pulled herself together.

Using her forearms, Ava crawled over and forced herself to sit upright. She pressed her hands on the wall. Mika crouched to meet her level and laid his palms flat over hers. It was faint, but she felt his heat. It made her smile.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry," he said. "I knew the risks, and I still left you alone. I should have stayed... This is all my fault. I'm sorry."

Ava shook her head. "It's not your fault. I thought I could trust Marc. I never thought he would..."

She stopped talking. She still couldn't say the words out loud, because even now, she wished this were a nightmare. It all felt too unreal, too dream-like. But it wasn't. Ava was really going to die. I'm so stupid. So stupid.

Caterina and Gio sat at Mika's side. Behind them, Sam moved his finger and created a barrier of his own as the fight against Marc continued on.

Caterina was exhausted—sweat covered her entire face and labored breathing came out in heavy waves. Gio helped her sit up or else she'd been lying down. The Reaper still hadn't come back yet, and Ava wasn't sure how much time she had left.

Holding their mom steady, Gio swiped out his scimitar and aimed for the wall. "Stop." Ava gasped. "Don't do that. It makes me lose more energy."

"There has to be a way out. There's always a way out of a spell. Right?" Gio said, but the twins stayed silent. They had to recognize these markings.

At least Mika did. "Not with this one. The Doku made certain no one could escape this cursed death." His hands balled into fists. "Not even the gods can stop this."

Ava leaned on the wall for support. What was the point, then? Why agree to a contract if he can't rescue me? Was he only giving me false hope?

Marc collided with the barrier and dug the tip of his sword into Darious' side. Shocks pierced Ava's skull as she covered her ears. Magnificent drums bellowed through the dome. A scorching hot rip tore across the back of her neck. Tons of energy flowed out of her.

I'm running out of time.

Once the drums seized, pain quenched her muscles, her heart, her lungs. She could hardly breathe, her throat was on fire. Ava heaved on the ground, blood spilled from her mouth as her vision went in and out. Gio argued with the twins. Caterina cried into her palms. Ava couldn't remember the last time she'd seen her mom cry this much, yet even now, she still looked so graceful and poised.

No matter how much she tried, Ava could never be like her. She couldn't live up to her expectations. Maybe that's where everything went wrong.

She gently touched the wall. "Mom, I'm so sorry."

Caterina violently shook her head and pressed her palm over Ava's. "Don't say that. You have nothing to feel sorry about. We will find a way to get you out of here. Just hold on. Okay? Can you do that for me, baby girl?"

"I'll try—" The world suddenly turned sideways.

Ava collapsed to the glass floor. Her hand slid down the wall, blood trailing behind. Then two things happened at once: Caterina screamed and Mika ran outside.

He dodged the attacks, slipped by Marc and Darious as they fought. With the area changing so much, Mika could only teleport short distances. He picked up the pace, determined with every stride.

Shrapnel cut his cheek as he ran though soft wheat ripped apart during the fight. Josh's hammer collided with the earth. Dirt exploded into the air, blocking Ava's view of Mika and what he was after. What is he thinking? He'll get himself killed.

Darious slammed into the wall. He strained against Marc's super strength. Marc unbound his short sword from its hold, and swiftly stabbed Darious in the gut, stained his pastel colored clothes with pink blood.

"Stop!" Ava cried out. "Don't kill him!"

I'm tired of others dying over my mistakes.

Marc clenched his jaw. "Is he the reason you changed your mind so quickly?"

He dug the blade deeper, twisted it. Darious grunted, and kept Marc's other sword at bay. "Look at you. You're like a wounded child. Hurt over having your plaything taken away."

"Shut up!" Marc knocked Darious away and grabbed him by the neck. His fingers squeezed him without mercy—face turned red with seething anger.

Josh ran up and swung his battle ax at Marc's side. He sent Marc flying across the debris like a rag doll, hitting rocks and stones and slammed into a bent up piece of flat land.

It was still and quiet.

Heavy, exhausted breaths filled the spaces in between.

Mika dug through the rocks and wheat.

Marc crawled from his resting place. Maroon blood dripped off his mouth and head, puddles under his boots. He summoned the swords to his hands and locked his cool gaze on all of them. Ava trembled as the dark tattoos on his skin devoured the blades.

He cracked his neck. Josh and Darious tensed, prepared for what would be the final fight. When he got closer, his eyes shifted to Mika, who had reached the bottom of the pile. Mika yanked the Bō out of the rubble and held it high in the air, triumphantly. And it all made sense now. Ava finally understood.

Mika was supposed to save her. Not the Reaper. Mika.

Confusion took hold of Marc's cold demeanor. "What's he doing?"

Darious chuckled under his breath. "Exactly what he was born to do."

He vanished and appeared before Marc, his sword clashed against his two blades. Marc barely caught it in time and was forced back. "Being the Crown Prince doesn't open the pathway to our family secrets. You have to earn that right!"

Marc pushed the swords up and maneuvered around Darious. He took off towards Mika, dodging Josh. Darious chased after Marc's trail, soon reached his side.

Darious swiped at Marc, the tip cut close to his chest. Marc stepped away and blasted a veil of vines—separating them. Marc gripped his swords and unleashed thorn after thorn of vines towards Mika. But he was too late.

Mika twirled the Bō above his head and slammed it on the Earth.

Energy burst out, circling him in a dark and eerie dense fog. There was a break in the thickness, and for a split second, Ava caught the black skull mask.

The god of death.

A long blade cut through the black haze. Large animalistic horns swirled out of the mask, while a dark, long cloak draped over Mika's uniform. It whipped back as the sword sliced the air with quick silence—bringing with it death.

He took off.

Marc stabbed both swords into the dirt. Giant mushrooms sprouted like parasites and blocked Mika's path. Branches attacked Mika as he ran through the forest. He dodged, cut at whatever stood in his way. Even as they caved in, he cut them down in slick movements.

Darious and Josh attacked Marc, the trees appeared one after the other. Mika stopped and aimed his sword at Ava. In one fell swoop, he sliced through the air with such an enormous surge of energy Ava covered her head before Sam yelled out.

The Earth shook. Rocks tumbled. A mirage of buildings collapsed in Ava's mind. Wind whistled as if a train were nearby. It sounded like the world was ending. It felt like a nightmare and it pushed its way inside and consumed her.

Strong hands pulled Ava upright and into an embrace. A tiny hole closed at the top side of the barrier. Black hair tickled her cheeks as she stared at the Bō lying outside the wall. He wasn't able to bring it in. And he wasn't able to get her out either.

Dust fragments drifted about, slowly settling. She took Mika's face between her hands and yelled at him. "Are you crazy? Why did you jump in here? You might die along with me!"

The thought of crying now seemed so pitiful, but even if Ava wanted to, she couldn't. She finally used them up. Mika tightened his hold, and it took everything in her to hold him back. Yet, it took nothing to bask in his warmth.

"We don't have time to argue. I need you to listen." He brought her face close. "I thought I was in love once... I thought I knew heartbreak. But I didn't understand the true meaning until I found you trapped in here where I couldn't reach you."

Ava's heart raced. Mika brushed his thumb across her cheek, his tender gaze drew her in. She hardly noticed when he took her hand. "I like you."

He paused, searched her eyes, tried to gauge her reaction, but Ava was so shocked she couldn't respond. "I've liked you since my birthday. I might have liked you before then, but I was too stubborn to accept it. And I'm certain at the rate we're going, I'll be falling in love with you soon, and I can't see a future without you."

Ava finally cracked a smile. "This sounds like a marriage proposal."

"That's because it is."

Her eyes grew as he dug through his pockets. "Well, kind of. It used to be. It might still be, so I'm just preparing you for the outcome. But I don't know how my grandparents will react. They might lock us up, instead of accepting the marriage. Or they'll accept it. They can be unpredictable."

Mika stopped rambling to pull out Marc's necklace. It crackled in his hand. He flinched when it snapped at him, and fought against the protective spell—against this death sentence. No wonder Marc wanted it back.

"This is the only thing that can save you. Once we complete the spell on this pendant, it will change your name to mine. It should stop this curse from taking your life, but I don't know all the consequences that come with it."

Hope grew the longer she listened, yet she still shook her head. "This—this is all happening too fast. You can't just jump in here and ask me to marry you, Mika. We just had our first kiss like, what? Two hours ago? This is insane—"

Ava coughed, hacked onto the grass. Mika tried keeping her upright as her head rolled to the side. She felt nauseous—sick to the core.

Rocks showered the outer wall. Josh and Darious were still fighting Marc and were struggling to keep up. Marc was a master swordsman, after all, but Ava was just as skillful with a knife. If she were fighting, she could kill him. She knew all his weaknesses.

"Ava, we don't have much time," Mika pleaded.

"Okay," she said. "Okay, let's do it. So what do I need to do?"

Mika removed his gloves. "You only need to follow my lead. I'll do the rest."

He placed the pendant on his palm and swiped two fingers across it. Like a mechanical puzzle the flower pattern shifted, weaved between other lines and indentations until an opening appeared. A tiny blue orb floated from the center. In seconds, it shot off, spread into a flat star with thousands of Ama characters and symbols rushing about.

In the gaping hole of the pendant sat a needle as sharp as any needle Ava had ever seen. Mika pricked his finger, maroon blood dripped off his hand when he traced a misshaped star on her forehead. Tingles ran through her skin, ran with his touch from the center straight down her nose and gently over her lips.

After helping her remove the gloves, Mika took her hand and pressed her index finger on the point. He didn't wait for her hesitation. It stung—a reminder that she was still alive and that she wanted to live to feel these pains and emotions.

Mika helped Ava trace the symbol on his forehead. A line ran straight down the center as she continued drawing. Excessive black and red blood dripped off her hand and onto his cheek the further she drew over his nose and lips.

The deed was done and just in time. Her body weakened further, breathing got harder. She grabbed hold of his shoulders for support. He trembled, scared like her. She met his gaze and for once let herself be honest.

"I do like you, Mika. I like you more than I probably should," Ava whispered. "So please, don't make me regret this."

Smiling, Mika gripped the back of her head and pulled her into a kiss.

When their lips met it was rough. It was everything she remembered, lustful and passionate. It diluted their taste buds with sweets and iron. It burned her throat, her veins. She wrapped her arms around his neck to be close—to make sure she didn't run away.

"Stop! You can't do this!" Marc banged on the barrier's wall. "You need to stop. She will kill you. She will destroy us all. Mika!"

Mika held her tighter, pressed their lips closer. His eyelashes fluttered, brushed her cheek. His body grew warmer, nearly suffocating, burned her skin and body alive. Pain surged through her body.

She took one last breath.

Her eyes popped open. A bright star dropped from the sky and drenched them with water and crashed through the spells barrier. The pain was gone. The stars danced as sparklers do to their own rhythm. They chanted such a hypnotic melody, it was both beautiful and haunting.

And then everyone froze.

Darkness zeroed in with a chilling laughter.

Mika's touch faded to nothing, a whisper in the wind.

.

Ava slipped, ice crawled on her hands, over her skin.

.

She shivered. Terrified, alone. A black hole opened beneath her.

.

.

And she fell and fell until there was nothing left but her last... dying breath...

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

63.7K 1.4K 29
"Secrets I've held in my heart, Are harder to hide than I thought. " ♡♡♡ 𝘐𝘴 𝘪𝘵 𝘸𝘳𝘰𝘯𝘨? 𝘐𝘚 �...
12.5K 757 39
Born an elf into a world where elves are hunted and killed, twenty-two year old Faeda fears she may be the last of her kind. Hiding amongst those who...
172 48 14
In a post-World War V world, global divisions have given rise to factions vying for resources and power. Amidst this tumultuous landscape, Kaya finds...