To tame an Earl (four hoydens...

By ashmita1321

Lord Ralph Orford, the Earl of Morley is the ideal gentleman, well liked, a definite catch on the marriage ma... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chpater 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Author's note

Chapter 6

22K 1.3K 36
By ashmita1321

"My Lord, a missive arrived for you this morning. I believe it's from Lady Fortescue," Johnson, his butler said, standing by the door of Ralph's study.

It was unlike Rosalyn to send missives.

He took it from Johnson's hands and scanned the contents quickly.

Ralph, I'm  joining Theodore in Derbyshire and I'll be gone for a week. I'd promised to take the girls to the Opera tonight. They'll be disappointed and not to mention, furious with me if they miss it. The famous singer Vitoria Ludovica is performing. Be and darling and take them, will you? I owe you.

Love,
Rosa.

Ralph groaned.

He didn't want to go the bloody Opera. He wanted to get this case over with and put an end to his days in espionage.

He reread the name of the Opera singer.

Vitoria Ludovica.

While she'd mesmerised all the Ladies of the ton with her voice, she'd mesmerised all the men with her voluptuous body.

If his memory served him right, she'd also had an affair with Bates. He'd paid an enormous amount of money to win her a few years back. But their tryst had come to an abrupt halt and no one had seen Vitoria for several weeks.

Maybe he wouldn't mind going to the Opera, after all, Ralph thought slyly.

That night.

"Don't you think that it's a bit too much? Or I'd rather say, too less..." Lady Woodbury said to her daughter who was checking her appearance in the mirror.

"Mother, it's unlike you to be prudish. Besides, no matter what I wear, I couldn't outdo Petal," Alice grinned.
She thought she looked splendid in the cream coloured gown she wore. While the colour was virginal, the gown was not. It certainly wasn't indecent, but the bodice was such that it exposed just a hint of what was inside. It might make her look like a tease. But Alice had selected this gown intentionally.

Ever since this season has begun, she'd been feeling as though she'd lost some of her edge. She was going to use this occasion to regain her confidence. And something about leaving her peers vulnerable to her charms made her feel stronger, as twisted as it was.

"You do look stunning," her mother sighed happily and left the chamber.

Once Alice had donned her cloak, her father knocked on her door.

"Ralph is here, my love," he said.

Ralph? Wasn't Rosalyn going to take them?

Good god, she wasn't ready to face Ralph yet again. She was still confused about his credibility.

She made her way down, seeing no other alternative.

"You look lovely as ever, Alice," he said politely, bowing over her hand.

Alice only grinned. He was going to flip and possibly explode with anger when he saw what she was wearing underneath that cloak.

"What happened to Rosalyn?" She asked him.

"She had to join Theo in Derbyshire," Ralph shrugged.

The traitor.

"You're not very excited about this, are you?"

"No," he said simply, sounding very much like a petulant child being forced into doing something dreadful.

Alice chuckled. Ralph had always hated the Opera.

She was surprised by how well she knew him. It seemed so normal for her to know these things. He also hated yellow, she thought.

She found that disconcerting because she could name a hundred things that Ralph hated or liked easily. She didn't want to know these things. She hated him. Or at least strongly disliked him.

"Sarah and Vanessa are already there. They left without me because I was late," he said, conversationally.

And Alice realised that they were all alone in the carriage. Her parents would never allow her to be alone with an unmarried gentleman, even if it was for a few minutes. But this was Ralph and he was practically a family member.

Except, her recent awareness of him troubled her. It wasn't the sort of thing one felt with a family member.

No.

She discarded her wayward thoughts when they reached the theatre. She was determined to enjoy this night.

She removed her cloak and handed it to the footman at the entrance.

She smiled when she saw Ralph's eyes widen as he took in her gown.

He was going to kill her, she thought happily.

"What are you wearing?" He hissed, coming to take her hand.

"Uh...clothes?" she asked innocently.

"You know what I mean," he said dangerously.

"Oh come now, it only appears that way. All the other ladies are showing much more of their bosoms than I am," she said, a touch defensively. She'd die before saying the word 'bosom,' in front of any other man. But this was Ralph and he was used to her speaking this way...

Ralph swallowed.

She was right. Of course the other ladies wore far more daring gowns. But there was something about the cut that teased him as surely it would tease the other men. It was the kind of gown that would bring grown men to their knees.  And much to his chagrin, he was no exception.

"Let's go inside," he said stiffly. There was nothing else he could do of course.

"Let's," she smiled up at him and he had to close his eyes against the force of that smile.

"Oh Alice, you're a vision. I wish I could wear something like that," Vanessa gushed as soon as Alice entered the box.

"You couldn't possibly pull it off," Sarah grinned, signalling to Vanessa's chest meaningfully.

"At least I'm not fat," she huffed while Alice and Sarah laughed at her annoyance.

But then Sir George Bates entered, putting an end to their fun.

He bowed to them before turning his lewd gaze to Alice.

"I don't have enough words to describe your beauty, Lady Alice," he kissed her hand and Alice had to make an effort to not cringe.

"My lord," she curtseyed, not knowing what to say. She just wished him away.

He was smiling at her in that oily way of his that did nothing to improve his barely above average features. Some might call him handsome she supposed, with his sickly looks.

And then Ralph walked in. Alice couldn't help but compare them. Ralph practically looked like a Greek god when he stood next to Sir Bates. And his height certainly added to the effect.

Alice had never liked short men.

Alice had never paid attention to Ralph's looks either.

She sensed Sir Bates's irritation when Ralph entered even though he tried his best to hide it as he spoke about the Parliament with Ralph.

"Don't you have a box here, Bates?" Ralph asked casually.

He knew very well that he didn't. George Bates was a mere Baronet and such privileges were reserved for those of higher ranks.

It was an insult and  Alice would've felt sorry for the man when he said, "I'm afraid not," and left shortly. But strangely, she was glad that he was gone.

           ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello dear readers, I hope you guys let me know how you liked this chapter. I don't normally write about anything other than the stories, but I had to make an exception this time. Cause I had to wish you all a very happy new year! May this year bring you lots of love, good health and happiness because those are the most important things in life. I also thank all of you for your support and overwhelming response.

Love,
Roma Goyal.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8M 148K 43
Lady Victoria Ashdown will do anything to protect her inheritance and defeat her conniving stepmother, even if it means competing against the young...
10K 995 28
After losing three fiancés in tragic accidents over the past six years, Lady Elphi Matson knows three things for certain: heartache only maims its vi...
718K 35.6K 23
HIGHEST RANKING #1 in historical fiction. Rosalyn is living her life. She's reckless, stubborn, unladylike and all the other things a Lady isn't sup...
4.5M 199K 36
"Deliciously captivating! It's the perfect amount of laughs, love and drama. You won't be able to put this book down!" - Grace K @ HQ. When Agatha be...