Chapter 10

Alice could feel the adrenaline coursing through her as the man called Bender held her to him with a knife at her throat.

"What do you want in exchange for her?" she heard Ralph saying.

"For you to close the case on Bates, o'course," the man replied from behind her.

"Alright," Ralph shrugged.

"Doesn't seem like you to let this go so easily."

"There's close to nothing that I wouldn't do to protect a woman," Ralph said.

"A woman or this woman?" Bender chuckled.

Ralph said nothing.

As pleasant as their conversation was, Alice would rather they spoke when the tip of a knife wasn't digging into her skin.

"Unhand her, Bender. She's innocent."

"Somehow I find that hard to believe," Bender smirked.

And then he looked at Alice closely.

"She's that chit Bates is after, fancy that," Bender laughed to himself.

Alice saw Ralph' fist close around the pistol in his pocket.

"If yer wondering how I know, he has a large portrait of 'er looking rather disheveled in his study. The man knows no limits when he gets obsessed with a woman," Bender added, shaking his head.

Bile rose in Alice's throat.

"Let. Her. Go." Ralph said, the low tenor of his voice sending a shiver down Alice's spine.

"It would serve him right if I had you before him, wouldn't it?" Bender addressed her, ignoring Ralph, his free hairy hand gliding down her arms.

She supposed it was supposed to be seductive, but she only wanted to vomit.

Alice looked at Ralph who wasted no time as he took out his pistol and shot.

It hit Bender's right shoulder and he let her go suddenly with a jerk, muttering expletives Alice had never heard.

Alice ran to Ralph's side and he quickly moved in front of her, hiding her behind him.

"Take one step forward and I'll aim for your heart," she heard Ralph say.

He began moving backwards, never once removing his gun from Bender while his men stood next to their injured boss, looking helpless.

Only when they reached the exit did Ralph address her.

"Run as fast as you can in the direction of the woods," he whispered.

As soon as they were out, Bender shouted orders at his men to follow them.

Alice ran as if her life depended on it, because it really did. She heard another shot before Ralph joined her, catching up easily.

After a while, he stopped her, looking behind them as he hid them behind a large tree.

"Are you alright?" He asked her, not looking at her face, still looking over her head to watch for Bender's men, she supposed.

"Yes," she said hoarsely.

He looked down then, staring at her face. The expression on his face changed when he saw the light wound caused by Bender knife on her throat.

He brushed his thumb near the scratch, his forehead pulled up in a frown.

"I should've shot him in the head for tearing your soft skin, for touching you with his grimy hands," he murmured.

Alice's breath caught.

"I'm sorry I ruined your meeting," she whispered.

"Think nothing of it, I'm just glad you're alright. I lost ten years of my life when I saw you there," he replied, pressing his lips to her forehead as he hugged her to him. It was as if he was assuring himself of her presence, of her being well.

"Can you walk some more? I only shot one of Bender's men, so the other one is probably still looking for us. He might even have called for reinforcements," Ralph said, pulling back.

Alice only nodded. This was all her fault, the least she could do was to heed to his words now.

"So you're a spy?" she asked, walking by his side, peeking up at him through her lashes.

He gave a single curt nod, his dark hair falling to his brow.

"And Sir Bates is a criminal?"

"A traitor to the crown. I obtained proof of his treachery only yesterday. That was why I'd asked him to meet me here," Ralph replied.

Alice digested that bit of information.

"So how long have you been a spy?"

"Last ten years."

"And nobody knew?" she gasped.

"No one apart from Johnson. And no one can know," he looked down at her meaningfully.

"Of course I wouldn't tell a soul," she sniffed, offended that he'd think this.

"I know you won't. You never spoke about Lady Dolby either," he smiled.

"So Lady Dolby? She was a part of your assignation?" she asked, grinning.

"Yes."

"But you did kiss her," she said accusingly.

"I've had to kiss a lot of women, Alice," he chuckled.

"Humph."

"You sound like my great aunt Mary," he smirked.

Alice only stuck out her tongue at him at which he laughed.

"Why, my Lady? You don't like me kissing other woman?"

"Don't flatter yourself. I don't give a squat."

"Oh really?" He drawled, stopping in his tracks and pulling her to a halt with him.

"Really."

"So you wouldn't care no matter who I kiss?"

"No."

"What about you?" He asked, brushing a stray lock of hair from her cheek, distracting her momentarily.

But before she could reply, he placed a peck on her lips. It was as short as it was mind numbing and had Alice closing her eyes.

She opened her eyes to find him walking forward then, making her sputter furiously.

She heartily wanted to stomp off somewhere else or make a grand exit. But they were in the middle of the woods and it was growing dark. So she had no choice but to follow the infuriating man.

"What about Vitoria Ludovica? Was she your assignation as well?" she asked after a while.

"Yes, I needed to ask her about Bates. And no, I did not kiss her," he replied.

"I never asked you if you had," Alice said pertly, her nose tipping up.

"You wanted to," he grinned down at her.

Alice fell silent because he was right.

Where were they going anyway?