working girl » tommy shelby.

By johnshelby

❝six inch heels, she walked up in the club like nobody's business. goddamn, she murdered everybody and i was... More

introduction
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
authors note
chapter nineteen
chapter twenty
chapter twenty-one
chapter twenty-two
chapter twenty-three
chapter twenty-four
chapter twenty-five
chapter twenty-six
chapter twenty-seven
chapter twenty-eight
chapter twenty-nine
authors note.
chapter thirty.
chapter thirty-one
chapter thirty-two
character moodboards.
chapter thirty-three
authors note again
don't hate me but not an update

chapter eighteen

7.5K 200 13
By johnshelby

[so you aren't confused, the bits in italics are flashbacks to before the war]

"Tommy Shelby," Rosie squealed, her hands dropping onto his shoulders as he spun her around in circles. The two of them was stood at the end of the garden, surrounded by rose flowers that her mother had embedded during the enjoyable weather that Britain had been blessed with. Tommy placed one finger on Rosie's lips, quietening her shrieks and giggles in case anybody overheard them and came to investigate. "Put me down."

Tommy obliged and cautiously dropped Rosie until her feet were pressed against the soil and mud. "I haven't seen you in ages and I've missed you more than anything," he whispered, pushing one strand of hair behind her ears. Rosie's cheeks became red, so she turned her face to the side, not wanting Tommy to see the effect that he had on her.

"I'm sorry, I truly am. It's all been very demanding these last few weeks. I've been so busy with the horses, helping my dad with the business and I just haven't had the time," she said, a sweet smile on her face. "I'll make it up to you."

"And how will you do that?" Tommy raised one eyebrow and wrapped his arm around Rosie's waist, dragging her ridiculously nearer.

Rosie placed one finger on her cheek as if she was in deep thought. "How does dinner on Friday sound?"

Tommy opened his mouth to reply to her question but before he could utter a word, Rosie had pushed him behind the shed. The sound of her mother's voice echoed through the gardens and the two of them were doing their hardest to not get caught. Rosie looked up at Tommy, who was struggling to hide his smug grin, before wrapping both of her arms around his neck. Tommy's arms remained around Rosie's waist as the two of them shared a passionate kiss, the first one in a while. Tommy pressed Rosie against the shed, his tongue entering her mouth in a desperate attempt to keep her close and not forget the taste of her. Rosie whined softly when Tommy pulled away and pouted.

"Dinner on Friday sounds perfect," he said, responding to her previous question. Rosie bit her lip before nodding slowly. Her attention turned back to the garden and she gave Tommy a sad look. "You can go. I'll pick you up from the usual place. Wear that red dress that I like, please."

+++

The familiar lane came into view as Rosie walked past all the run-down buildings that held dark secrets. It was silent for lunchtime, no men howling and shouting at the woman, no coppers walking up and down as they supervised the area thoroughly. The place was full of corrupt memories and stomach-turning feelings, things that she never wanted to experience again. Lauren was her main concern and getting her away from the troubled life that she had led since being a teenager.

"Claire," she said, looking towards the bar where her previous boss was stood. Claire looked up from the money that she was counting at Rosie and snarled.

"Did Tommy Shelby not work out then?" she asked with a conceited grin. "I knew it wouldn't. Let me guess, you are here to get your job back. I'm afraid that someone has already took your place."

"Actually, no. I'm here to visit Lauren if that's alright with you." Rosie remained confident, refusing to be demeaned by the woman who had pinched money off her for years. The rent was ridiculously high at the brothel and some nights, the girls didn't even receive any of the money that they had earned.

"She's upstairs."

Rosie nodded and sarcastically smiled at Claire before walking towards the stairs. Rosie's old room came into view, sending a rush of detestation throughout her body. Rosie couldn't believe the state that she used to live in. The hallway was plagued with cigarette butts, stains were placed all over the floor, the wallpaper was tattered. There was an overpowering smell that made Rosie want to be sick, but she remained focused on getting one of her closest friends out of the chaotic situation.

"Lauren." Rosie banged on the door noisily, hoping to gain the attention of the older woman.

The door to Lauren's boudoir swung open. Lauren stood on the other side, her mouth opens in shock as she looked Rosie up and down. "Back already?" she asked, smirking a little. Rosie rolled her eyes before stepping into her bedroom.

"I'm only here to come and see you. How are you?"

"I was alright until last night. I had Damion Barker come in, the real sweaty, atrocious one. He usually goes for Jennifer but for some reason, decided to switch up. God, I can still feel his hands on my skin." Lauren gagged before patting the duvet. "So, how are you and Tommy?"

Rosie sat down next to Lauren and tried to hide the smile that was on her face. She did not want to brag about the life that she was now living in elaborate hotels and the club that she partly owned because of Tommy's compassion. "It's good."

"Just good?"

"Really good. He understands everything and doesn't judge me for what I've been through. I told him about Manchester..." Rosie trailed off and shrugged her shoulders. Lauren was the only person who knew about Manchester and what had happened up there before Rosie had made Tommy aware of the problems she had faced. Lauren rubbed Rosie's shoulder to comfort her and waited patiently for Rosie to continue. "Tommy was dead nice about it and even brought up getting some tests done to find out if I could have children or not. It's something that we are going to consider in the future, not right now."

"So, Tommy Shelby does have feelings," Lauren jested. Rosie pushed her away before sniggering. "But seriously, why are you here? You swore that you would never return to this dammed place but here you are. I know it's not just to visit me either."

"Tommy has a club down in London and he has given me half of it. I stay down in London, coming back every other weekend, and run the club. I've come here because I want to offer you a job."

"A job?"

"Yes. You can be whatever you want to be, I promise. I've employed dancers to put on shows, there will be musicians playing and different events. You've done a lot for me in the last couple of years and I want to return the favour."

"What if you and Tommy don't work out and we both end up out of work?"

"Me and Tommy are going to work out, I can promise you that one. I'm giving you the chance to get out of this callous routine, please take the jump and return to London with me. Tommy is renting me and Arthur a house to stay in while we are down in London, so you can stop with us until you get on your feet. You have no family around here, so you've got nothing to stay for."

"This brothel is all I have ever known," she said, her voice soft and quiet. "I don't know how to adapt to new surroundings. I haven't moved or changed jobs in nearly fifteen years."

"This is your chance, Lauren. I am not returning to London until you come with me." Rosie was stubborn and refused to give up. She wanted to give her best friend the chance to have a decent and respectable life.

"And what about the boss?"

"Do you really give a shit about her?" Rosie raised one eyebrow and chuckled. "Me and Arthur leave for London in about a week. I will send someone over with more information about travelling arrangements and what we will be doing down in London. If you choose to come, then be at the Shelby house next Wednesday at three in the afternoon."

Lauren closed her eyes before sighing. "Arthur Shelby, you say."

"Yes, Arthur." Rosie grinned.

"Well, I guess I'll be seeing you next Wednesday."

+++

Rosie rolled off Tommy's lap as she attempted to get her breath back. She giggled to herself as she saw the marks on his chest, all from her. Tommy gave her a look of adoration as Rosie rested her head in her hand, her elbow pressed into the duvet. Rosie's finger trailed up and down Tommy's chest before lightly pressing a kiss to the skin.

"Did you want to scream any louder?" he asked with a smirk. "You've probably traumatised poor Finn."

"Oh, shut up. You weren't exactly quiet now, was you?"

Tommy rolled his eyes but didn't disagree with her comments. It was gone midnight and the moon was shining through the thin curtains, illuminating the room slightly. A few drunken men could be heard as they banged on the doors of their houses, shouting up to their wives. Rosie was able to sleep through the noise most of the time, but she remained awake and watched Tommy as he looked up at the ceiling. The two of them remained in silent, their breathing moving in sync.

"I went to the brothel earlier on," Rosie said, interrupting the peacefulness.

"Why?" There was annoyance in his voice, but Rosie ignored his attitude.

"To see Lauren, I'm going to hire her at the club. She needs a new job, decent money and a better life."

"That's nice of you, love," he replied, not fully engaging in the conversation. "Can you promise me something?" Rosie nodded. "Don't ever go back to that place again. I can't stand the thought of you being there, even if it's just a visit."

"I'm done with that part of the town, Tommy. From now on, it's me and you." Rosie smiled and linked her fingers with his. "When can I meet your sister?"

"Whenever you want to meet her. She lives down in London and I'm sure she would love to meet you one day. Beware, she will probably talk politics with you for a few hours before finally introducing herself."

Rosie laughed before shaking her head. "I'll probably engage in those conversations with her. Let me guess, she's into communism."

"Indeed. It all came from her ex-husband. I thought that she would grow out of it but she's just as a determined as ever."

"It's nice that she enjoys something."

"Not nice when we can't even have a dinner get-together without her ranting about the wages that we give our employees." Tommy paused as he reached into the draws to grabs some matches. The pipe and opium caught Rosie's eyes and she quickly leaned over Tommy's body to pull the draw back open. Tommy sighed, knowing that he had been careless and let Rosie find his stash. Rosie's hair tickled his chest as she tuned to her head to the side to look at him with an unamused expression. "Don't start."

"You made me get rid of my cocaine, so you can get rid of that." She aggressively pointed towards the door before sitting up straight, her legs tucked underneath her thighs.

"I'll do it in the morning," he groaned. "Come on, let's go to bed."

"No, I want you to go and get rid of that."

When Tommy didn't move, Rosie took things into her own hands and jumped up from the bed. Tommy watched Rosie as she buttoned up one of his work shirts that had been carelessly thrown to the floor during their heated passion. Her hand reached into the draw and grabbed the pipe and drugs.

"I need them, Rosie," he said. So far, he had been taking things as a joke and didn't think that Rosie would do anything with the drugs that calmed him in the late hours of the night. Rosie didn't respond to Tommy's pleading and stormed down the stairs towards the garden. Tommy sighed before throwing on some clothes and following her. "Rosie." Tommy stormed through the betting office until he reached the back door.

"You don't need it, you have me." Rosie looked at Tommy with comforting eyes. "Just get rid of it, please."

Tommy licked his lips before nodding his head. Rosie smiled before placing the pipe and drugs into the bin. She felt like a mother scolding her youngest child, but she did not want to think about Tommy, all alone with nothing but his dark thoughts.

"I love you, Tommy."

"I know, I love you too."

+++

Authors note: Shitty ending but whatever, life goes on. Please vote, comment, leave feedback and other things. Thank you.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

167K 4.3K 77
"𝐒𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐟𝐫𝐚𝐠𝐢𝐥𝐞, 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐟𝐫𝐚𝐠𝐢𝐥𝐞 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐚 𝐟𝐥𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐫 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐟𝐫�...
1.3K 62 8
-𝐅𝐑𝐎𝐌 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐑𝐄𝐍𝐂𝐇 𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐄𝐄𝐓- "It all started from the French street" "And it will end there" J...
41K 1K 16
angel of small heath? supposedly. devil in disguise? maybe. his lifeline, his everything & soul? definitely. [slow updates] the peaky blinders. thoma...
487K 10.2K 32
the youngest petrovna gets tangled in an affair with a peaky blinder. john shelby complete