chapter eighteen

[so you aren't confused, the bits in italics are flashbacks to before the war]

"Tommy Shelby," Rosie squealed, her hands dropping onto his shoulders as he spun her around in circles. The two of them was stood at the end of the garden, surrounded by rose flowers that her mother had embedded during the enjoyable weather that Britain had been blessed with. Tommy placed one finger on Rosie's lips, quietening her shrieks and giggles in case anybody overheard them and came to investigate. "Put me down."

Tommy obliged and cautiously dropped Rosie until her feet were pressed against the soil and mud. "I haven't seen you in ages and I've missed you more than anything," he whispered, pushing one strand of hair behind her ears. Rosie's cheeks became red, so she turned her face to the side, not wanting Tommy to see the effect that he had on her.

"I'm sorry, I truly am. It's all been very demanding these last few weeks. I've been so busy with the horses, helping my dad with the business and I just haven't had the time," she said, a sweet smile on her face. "I'll make it up to you."

"And how will you do that?" Tommy raised one eyebrow and wrapped his arm around Rosie's waist, dragging her ridiculously nearer.

Rosie placed one finger on her cheek as if she was in deep thought. "How does dinner on Friday sound?"

Tommy opened his mouth to reply to her question but before he could utter a word, Rosie had pushed him behind the shed. The sound of her mother's voice echoed through the gardens and the two of them were doing their hardest to not get caught. Rosie looked up at Tommy, who was struggling to hide his smug grin, before wrapping both of her arms around his neck. Tommy's arms remained around Rosie's waist as the two of them shared a passionate kiss, the first one in a while. Tommy pressed Rosie against the shed, his tongue entering her mouth in a desperate attempt to keep her close and not forget the taste of her. Rosie whined softly when Tommy pulled away and pouted.

"Dinner on Friday sounds perfect," he said, responding to her previous question. Rosie bit her lip before nodding slowly. Her attention turned back to the garden and she gave Tommy a sad look. "You can go. I'll pick you up from the usual place. Wear that red dress that I like, please."

+++

The familiar lane came into view as Rosie walked past all the run-down buildings that held dark secrets. It was silent for lunchtime, no men howling and shouting at the woman, no coppers walking up and down as they supervised the area thoroughly. The place was full of corrupt memories and stomach-turning feelings, things that she never wanted to experience again. Lauren was her main concern and getting her away from the troubled life that she had led since being a teenager.

"Claire," she said, looking towards the bar where her previous boss was stood. Claire looked up from the money that she was counting at Rosie and snarled.

"Did Tommy Shelby not work out then?" she asked with a conceited grin. "I knew it wouldn't. Let me guess, you are here to get your job back. I'm afraid that someone has already took your place."

"Actually, no. I'm here to visit Lauren if that's alright with you." Rosie remained confident, refusing to be demeaned by the woman who had pinched money off her for years. The rent was ridiculously high at the brothel and some nights, the girls didn't even receive any of the money that they had earned.

"She's upstairs."

Rosie nodded and sarcastically smiled at Claire before walking towards the stairs. Rosie's old room came into view, sending a rush of detestation throughout her body. Rosie couldn't believe the state that she used to live in. The hallway was plagued with cigarette butts, stains were placed all over the floor, the wallpaper was tattered. There was an overpowering smell that made Rosie want to be sick, but she remained focused on getting one of her closest friends out of the chaotic situation.