chapter three

When the brothel finally closed in the early hours of the morning, the rest of the girls made their way downstairs to have a good drink of some liquor, but Rosie stayed in bed, her eyes glued to the ceiling. Tommy Shelby had been running through her mind all night meaning she had been too focused on him and not the customers at hand. If they complained then Rosie would get a bollocking from the boss, but she couldn't think about that right now, all she could do was picture his face in her head. A combination of feelings ran through her when she spotted him outside the doors, his face lit up by the bright red sign that was half-hanging from the wall. She knew immediately that he recognised her, but she wasn't going to let him know who she was, not ever.

Tommy Shelby did not seem like the type of man to be around brothels. Rosie could understand why John and Arthur made appearances, their boyish, childlike attitudes suited the place perfectly but never in a million years did she expect to see Thomas there. Deep down, a part of her was thankful that she had seen Tommy as it brought her a sense of the past when times were happier, and she had no worries in the world apart from deciding what dress to wear for school.

Rosie was so caught up in her fantasy that she didn't notice Lauren slip into the room, placing down a glass of Gin as she watched the peaceful Rosie. "The boss wanted a word with you, but I managed to persuade her to wait until tomorrow."

Rosie moaned and sat up before downing the drink in one. "I don't want to listen to her moaning at me. I know that I did a poor job tonight, but I promise that I will be better tomorrow."

"She doesn't want to moan at you," she said, giggling a tad. Lauren sat down next to Rosie and thrusted her shoulder into Rosie's, a playful action that confused Rosie. "She is actually impressed with you, like really impressed. She didn't mention much to me, but you went for a cigarette break and apparently every man in reception was staring at you."

Rosie rolled her eyes, not believing a word that came out of Lauren's mouth. She had a habit of over-exaggerating things for effect. "I wasn't paying much attention if I'm being honest. I just wanted to get some fresh air and the smell of the first lad off me," she responded, trying to hide the minor excitement that was building up inside of her. If what Lauren was saying was true, then Rosie couldn't help but feel satisfied that men admired her beauty.

"You should have payed attention and flirted with some of them, you could have earned some right money tonight. Did you get any extra tips?"

Rosie laughed loudly and shook her head. "No, tonight was awful. I couldn't focus on anything and I was extremely exhausted," she answered. "I saw John Shelby on my way downstairs, he was looking for Rachel's room."

Lauren nodded. "Yeah, Rachel hasn't shut up about it since we closed. Treated her like a proper princess apparently and left her a large wad of cash. She must've made some kind of impression." Lauren paused and turned so she was facing Rosie. "I also heard that you had a run in with another Shelby brother."

Rosie's heart dropped, she had believed that her and Tommy's brief encounter had got unnoticed, but she was wrong. If anyone was going to get the truth out of Rosie, then it would be Lauren. "Yes, I spoke to him outside, but it was nothing major. Tommy just spoke about his brothers and that was it. Anyway, have you had a good night?"

"Don't even try and change the subject because I'm not stupid. Tracy said that you looked uncomfortable, why was that?"

"Would you not feel uncomfortable around Tommy Shelby?" Rosie asked.

"No, I'd try and seduce him because my Lord, that boy would pay big money."

"That's where me and you are different then, isn't it? I have no interest in getting Tommy Shelby into my bed or seducing him. I didn't even want to speak to him or be near him, he was the one who came outside and found me."

"Does that not say a lot?" Rosie looked at Lauren with a blank expression. "He came and found you, it must mean something."

"Even if it does, I am not interested. If you don't mind, I'm going to go to sleep because I must go down the market tomorrow for the boss. Good night, Lauren."

"Good night, Rosie."

+++

Walking through the market was always an experience. The women of Birmingham were unaware of who Rosie was and payed no attention to her, believing that she was just a random woman doing her daily shopping. The men stared at Rosie, most were aware of her job and what she did as they had seen her on their visits to the brothel. Rosie always felt guilt when she saw men that she had fucked in the past with their wives and children, but she had to remember that this was her job, she wasn't forcing the men to fuck her. Rosie's head hung low as she picked up the fruit and veg from the market like the boss had asked, handing over the money with a false smile before waving good-bye.

This trip to the market was different. Rosie had spotted him as soon as she had arrived at the market smalls, his blue eyes watching her every move. Tommy was puzzled and had been awake most of the night as he tried to remember this woman. He did not know her name, but her face was recognisable, and he was sure that she was someone from his childhood.

Rosie ignored his stares and prayed that he would not attempt to make any conversation with her. She had not slept much and was aggravated, her stomach filled with nerves as she silent prepped herself for another night of fucking.

"I know you." Rosie sighed at the familiar voice and walked away, not wanting to interact with him so early in the day. Rosie was not stupid though and she knew that it would only be a matter of time before he clocked on. This was Tommy Shelby, the most intelligent man in Birmingham. "Are you going to ignore me?" he asked. Rosie continued to walk away, her eyes fixated on the floor. "Hello..."

"I don't know you, I'm sorry." Rosie turned to face Tommy and was slightly taken back by his beauty. "I have never seen you before in my life and you have never seen me before, just like I explained last night."

"No, you're lying." Tommy was becoming frustrated at himself for having such an awful memory. "What's your name?"

"That's none of your business, Mr. Shelby."

"Yeah?" Tommy grabbed hold of Rosie's arms and turned her, so she was facing him. "I need to know your name because I'll be visiting you tonight."

"No, you won't be."

"I will, and I will get the truth out of you, even if it kills me. I will see you at about nine."