unspoken - phan

By MeeHidden

Dan, depressed and anorexic, gave up on speaking years ago. He was lost in alcohol and loneliness until a bla... More

invisible.
noises.
decisions.
darkness.
nobody.
too young.
smoke.
selfish.
clamor.
something.
fire.
tuesday.
beautiful.
thin.
heartbeat.
almost.
here.
for some time.
friends.
not alone.
bubble wrap.
silent.
reminded and forgotten.
cold hearted.
like or love.
me neither.
i've got you.
pressure.
lost connection.
stared at.

lies.

4.5K 104 20
By MeeHidden

[a/n; excuse my english, please correct me if there are any mistakes)

I ran through the hallways, not exactly knowing what my destination was. I was so concentrated on running, that I almost forgot why.
Breathe in, run.
Breathe out, run.
Even those simple tasks were overwhelming. Basically everything was.
But when I stood in front of the green colored door, it came back to my mind like a hurricane, which made breathing and running more simple than anything.

It was my first day at school and I was late. I didn't know when the bus came, so I missed it. I never was good at planning things, I mean I could've looked up when the bus usually comes, but I didn't.

Blame it on my laziness or the fact that I spent my morning with staring at the ceiling, questioning my whole bloody worthless life.

There was no better start in my new life, than coming too late. Wasn't that a great metaphor for the future? Messed up and too late.

I gasped, I had to enter the classroom and introduce myself. I had to talk. I had to open my mouth and I had to let words come out, simple words.
But I wouldn't talk. I couldn't talk.

It's called selective mutism, even though I never really selected it. It just happened one dark, staring at the ceiling night.
There was no one who I could have talked to, so why was I talking at all?

I felt my anxiety growing and before I could have decided to just run back home, I knocked at the door. A male voice asked me to enter and I still thought about fleeing, like an antelope in the sight of a lion , but - oh what a coincidence - it was too late for that.

My heart skipped a beat, when I entered the familiar place called classroom. Brown, old tables and chairs. A board covered in chalk dust and eyes, way too many eyes.
There was that feeling that I knew way too good. It was fear.
I expected comments on my black shirt, my black jacket and my same colored skinny jeans. Where were the "nice haircut" yells or the paper balls hitting my head? I was shaking, but I crossed my arms, tightening the grasp to stop my hands from shivering.
This time it had to be different, but I knew it wouldn't. This time I should just mind my business. No befriending with others, who could see how fucked up I was after a while and then leave. I was sick of bullying, sick of fake friends and tears rushing down my ugly face.

I still stood in the doorway, biting and licking my lip, already feeling the bitter metallic taste on my tongue.

Average people would say something like; 'Sorry that I'm late, my name is Dan' 
But I wasn't average.
I kept my mouth shut.

The teacher stared at me, so did the students. I wanted to scream. What do you do in such a situation if you're not talking?

My instinct shouted run but even if I tried, I was frozen.

"You must be the new one, Daniel right?" I nodded. "Then welcome at our school! I'm Mr Fadarral, you can sit next to Philip" he pointed at a light skinned boy with a black fringe. I nodded again, still heavily breathing from my sprint.

It's fine Dan, nobody laughed.

I sat down, relieved that I didn't have to talk. "Hi Daniel, I'm Phil" the boy turned towards me. He looked full enthusiastic.
A wide smile was on his milky face, framed by pitch black hair in contrast to his intense blue eyes I dared to stare at.
I panicked again.
Should I ignore him?
That would have probably made everything worse, even if this Phil guy didn't seem like a bully. He would have thought that I'm a awkward loser and -

"Huh? Are you alright?" he asked. And I nodded as a yes, not making eye contact. Totally fine.
"So, where do you come from?"
I wanted him to stop talking to me, but I couldn't. If I told him that I was selective mute, he would have laughed. Everyone did.

Who selects to be mute?
Wtf you're so weird.

I swallowed, as I grabbed a pencil and my notebook, which I always carried around with me. Shakily I wrote down six letters, still unsure if I made the right the decision.

'I'm mute'

Philip looked at my bad handwriting and his eyes widened.

Weirdo.
Freak.

"Mute? You can't talk?"
I shook my head.

You ruined it Dan.

"Since birth?"
I thought a second before I answered.
I wasn't born mute, I stopped talking when I was 14. I bit my lip again, the metallic taste on my tongue.

Who chooses to be mute?

I shouldn't have done that, but I did it.
I nodded.
How should he have known I was lying? He couldn't tell, he didn't know me.

And I thought that would've been our last conversation.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.9K 2.3K 18
"I see a lonely boy. Someone who trusted another person & that person person left him & stopped talking to him all together. I see someone who deserv...
25.7K 1.2K 41
Phil Lester is a well known youtuber. He hides behind the camera, he acts the way that he wants to but he scared to be himself at school. He's popula...
3.5K 212 31
When Phil, one of the nicest guys at school, starts falling down the hole of depression and getting bullied, he meets Dan, the popular fuck-boy of th...
104K 4.4K 20
Young Dan Howell, who lives with his alcoholic father, lost his mother to cancer less than a year ago, and is killing himself. Phil Lester, a boy pic...