I'll Protect You (Original Ve...

By orangechicken

Whoever wished they could live the life of royalty deserved a punch in the face. Meet Park Sparrow, a feisty... More

Author's Note
Introducing Park Sparrow, Princess of Cimeria
Introducing Logan Cross, intellectually gifted and a prodigy agent
The princess and the totally and completely unnecessary bodyguard
Have good taste in ties; kings like that
The poor decisions of Logan Cross
A not-so-friendly game of hide-and-go-seek in the city
Studying abroad equals Not in Cimeria
B.E.F.L: Best Enemies For Life
Sweaters are appealing. Not shoulders.
Welcome to Cimeria; and keep off the dragonlilies
The Greeks have their gods, we Cimerians have dragons
The destruction damage of a white shoe
I'm the Short Demon Loser from Hell, not Gorgeous
Don't be late for dinner.
There's a Code:Red--and there's a Code:Zero.
Mission:Impossible; Park Sparrow is secretly Ethan Hunt.
You need a poker face lesson from Lady Gaga.
Confessions of an iron-heart princess.
It's a happily never after, at least for me.
A duet isn't complete without sparks flying.
ADHD dreams of dragons and monsters.
Quoting song lyrics? I really need a therapist....again.
The princess, the knight, and the wizard all hate each other. That's not good.
I'm going to have nightmares about Tropical Paradise
Two is better than one. Especially as back-up.
CSI: Investigation--Paradise Coffee's Special Edition
I used to love story time--until I found out that I had amnesia.
Where's the assassin when you really need him?!
I hereby declare you Witch!
Betrothals sound more magical in a fairy tale.
High Frequency Sound Wave of Shut The Hell Up
We're star-crossed haters, Sunglass Dude and I.
The royals fight fire with fire.
Nothing good ever comes out of Advanced Chemistry
The secret life of sitting in a hospital, and witnessing a miracle happen
Once upon a time: Archer Sparrow's mysterious and danger-filled life version 2.0
Like Taylor Swift says--No amount of vintage dresses gives you dignity
I heard the Grim Reaper is bad luck; unfortunately, he gave me a boat ride
I'm a walking contradiction--yes, like the song.
Liar, Liar, but my pants aren't on fire
Wake up and smell the coffee--Park Sparrow will always be better than you
Lemon chapstick is beyond amazing
I Legolas You.
Nightmares that sound more like the first five minutes of a horror movie
I know what a stock market is, dammit!
Taking pictures with Santa and the elves.
You can't offer revenge--that's playing dirty!
Cookies and presents: Park's therapeutic care for traitors
Useless autograph? My signature is worth five hundred dollars on eBay!
Arsonage is a rather grim subject. For Sparrows? It's a regular debate topic.
The Order of the Dragons aren't very orderly at all. Trust me.
Introducing Flynn Darkwood: the boy who ran away
A how-many-miles-did-you-just-say hike during the storm of the century
I set fire to the rain--no, no, I didn't mean to do it literally!
Have a little more faith in my survival skills, people.
Alright, who came up with the idea to put seven noble clans in one room?
Trading secrets in Drageryian Hall.
Epilogue

Serenaded with the beautiful Call Me Maybe

507K 7.8K 1.2K
By orangechicken

It was the most frightful, horrifying, bone-chilling, soul depriving, depressing, and nightmare-worthy experience I had ever had. It was worse than all the scary movies I had watched with Archer and Jasper when we were young (by the way, don't watch The Exorcist when you're only nine). Far more terrifying than the graveyard trips Minnie and Zen made with me, or any of our ventures down a feared neighborhood during Halloween.

I was aware of their presence as I made my way out of the academy. By the time I had arrived thirty feet away from the gate, my tolerance snapped into twigs and I whirled around. And there they stood. Those bipolar, mind-washed monsters. Blonde hair, blue eyes, untucked shirts, Versace purses, Gucci glasses, hundred-dollar kicks.

Even the misfits had gathered. They used to laugh at me too. They weren't as smart as the Prada labeled sheep that stood among them, but they had assumed they were higher in standards than I was. Broken glasses, cheap blush, greasy hair all flashed at me and I suddenly felt like a strange creature put on display.

No longer was hatred, discorn, and haughtiness splattered all over their faces. Instead, I saw admiration, intimidation, and a bit of ivy green envy reflected in their glassy eyes. I realized with a horror that was how everyone looked like when Cross strolled into school. Now they looked at me with the same feelings.

"What?" I shot, my voice barely containing the wild desire to run away to Canada and never come back. They'd never find Logan's love interest in that place, now would they?

"You're so pretty!" one of them suddenly gushed.

"She's probably that number two kid on the list!" another shouted. "She's so smart!"

"No wonder Logan likes you!"

Excuse me, headmistress. I believe your students have been replaced with clones created by the government. They're out to destroy me and I think you need to do something about it before I die.

"Can we walk home with you?"

"Will you sit with us at lunch tomorrow?"

"You're so pretty!"

Yep. Ontario, Canada was starting to sound really tempting. Would my old man mind if I told him that we were going to relocate to Canada? I pursed my lips as I tried to figure out a way to make him side with me when someone pushed me.

Yes! my mind screamed in joy. Did someone still actually hate me and wanted to chain me up in the shackles of hell? But as I turned around, frowning to hide the excitement within me, the elated bubble of euphoria burst and was replaced with actual dislike.

It was Cross. He was shuffling from feet to feet, his head bowed down as if to hide a blush. He shouldn't be embarrassed. He was the one that was popular. Whatever he did was right. No one cared if it was wrong. They thought he was being cute.

And there was me, standing there, smokey fumes rising from my head. I wanted to tackle him, beat some sense into him and force him to realize that this situation was not a good thing. I was not supposed to be pretty. I was not supposed to be considered smart. I wasn't supposed to be that girl whom everyone wanted to walk home with or sit with at lunch.

But look at what he made me. Cross had turned me into a female Logan Cross. And I couldn't take all the attention. Wasn't one of the reasons that I had left Cimeria in the first place was to escape all the fame and glory the title of princess provided?

I spun on my heel and strode away, attempting to shove every drop of pride I had in me into my steps.

"Bye, Park!"

"I'll see you tomorroow, Park!"

"You're so pretty, Park!"

Okay, whoever kept calling me pretty was going to have to start watching their back. After i figured out who it was. Though it did sound suspiciously like Pepper.

I heard shoes dash up to my side. Of course. Cross. The name sent infuriating tentacles of emotion throughout my blood. Not even Satan couldn't match my radiating anger and frustration.

"What's gotten into you, Sparrow?" Cross asked, shoving his hands into his pockets as he relaxed from I-Have-To-Catch-Up-To-You-Because-I-Really-Want-To-Ruin-Your-Life to Be-Grateful-That-I'm-Even-Walking-Near-You.

I shoved him. But his resolution to the ground was about five times stronger than I had expected so he didn't budge. At all. What a rock.

"What," I hissed, "do you want? Your house is the other way, if I recall from yesterday."

"Well, so is yours. I'm your personal bodyguard, so wherever you are, I have to be with you. That's why they chose someone your age, remember?" he informed me.

"Leave me alone. I don't want to be with anyone right now, especially you," I shot, venom strong in my tone. If only I could poison people with my words. Then Cross would be on the sidewalk, foaming at the mouth.

"Lovely. And I don't care. So," he said casually, "where are we going?"

"What is with this?" I suddenly screamed at him. "I thought you hated me? I thought we promised to stay away from each other until after school! Look what you did to me in the courtyard. Since when was I pretty to your obsessive fangirls? I'm not supposed to be liked!"

He rolled his golden eyes. "Keep shouting. I'm sure people won't notice," he commented, his voice dripping with total sarcasm. At that he received an iPhone to the face. Hoping that would stall him, I scurried away.

But no such luck followed me. Cross was by my side in a matter of seconds. The worse part was that he was scrolling through my pictures.

"How'd you figure out my password, you creep?" I snapped, snatching my hands out to get my phone back. Logan was taller than me by several inches and he reached his arm up, eyes still focused on the photos as he ignored my bunny hopping.

"Cross!" I whined. "Give it back!"

"0-0-0-0. Simply genius," he answered. "You had short hair? You've always had long hair though!"

I blushed. "I want it back, you freaking jerk!"

"Say you'll let me stalk you for the rest of our lives."

"No! Who would say that?"

"Um, Ninety-nine point nine of the human population," he snorted.

"Oh. So that point one must be me. Tough luck. Give me back my phone," I demanded. "Don't make me go all princess on you."

He broke out into laughter at that. However, he still managed to evade my clawing fingernails. "Oh?"

His voice turned into a soprano falsetto. "Logan Cross, as the crown princess of Cimeria, I must demand that you oblige and return my electrical device to me."

I scoffed at that. "You sound like an old woman."

He sighed. Logan Cross actually gave in! My iPhone was handed back to me. I kissed it on the back and put it back into my breast pocket. But as I turned to walk away, someone's fingers linked themselves with mine.

"Logan," I said heatedly. He didn't respond. I raised my voice even more. "Logan, what are you doing?"

"No prize without a consequence, gorgeous. You got your phone back but you didn't say what I wanted you to. So I'm going to ruin your life and hold your hand."

My first reaction was to pull my hand away. Then I smacked his arm. And then I kicked him. But all those actions failed to prevail. I was already nearing my time limit so I did the worst possible choice: I grinned and bore it.

All the way to Paradise Coffee, Logan and I walked hand in hand. And as I walked, my mind kept burning with thoughts of this moment, and how he called me gorgeous. It was lucky that the red strands of my hair shielded my face, or else Logan would've seen how cherries and I were related.

We didn't talk as we walked. We did at first, asking how each other's day went. I had only responded to Logan after he threatened to walk with his arms around my waist. I tried to be in a good mood until one of the girls from the academy caught us red-handed.

She had screamed in ecstasy, known world-wide as the call of the Teenage Girls. Her friends flocked over and they too began shouting shrilly. They even took photos. My face had burned up so hot that you could've fried an egg on my face.

After that, I refused to talk to him. Cross kept his grip on my hand but he didn't push his luck beyond that.

At last I caught sight of the coffee store up ahead. It was more packed than usual, but it was to be expected. Summer was nearing; students were in their final quarter at school. Or in the academies, they were studying for the summer finals.

"Why are we here?" he asked. "Do you spend your afternoons here? Don't tell me you actually study?"

"I do study. But not today. Technically, yes, I would study here today but since one of my co-workers took a sick leave, I was called in to fill in her spot. So have fun sitting here until six." I dropped his hand and slipped through the thick line of customers. In our dressing room, I changed from the academy uniform into a black dress shirt with its sleeves rolled up to my elbows, skinny jeans the shade of ultra black, and black sneakers.

I tied my startling red hair up into a high ponytail before bouncing out to the counter to greet people. I saw regulars, newcomers, or tourists. But what I focused on three-fourths of the time was golden eyes that guarded the area around me. It wasn't zoomed in on me; instead, my guarding swept the perimeters of the shop every minute. Occasionally, he'd catch my gaze and wink lazily, making my heart beat furiously. Curse you, Cross.

By the time five-forty five rolled around, the large amount of customers decreased severely, leaving me to wipe down tables. I noticed that Logan hadn't budged a bit for three hours straight. He merely sat there, lost in thought, and yet caused every female in the room to faint.

"Thank you so much for covering Alexis," my manager/boss/royal cousin Eli thanked. "We would've died without your help, girlie. Are you going to get anything? It's on the house, sweet cheeks, for helping us out when it's your free day."

Elijah was gay. A very friendly, sweet, gentle-hearted twenty something year old who ran a kingdom of coffee in Montana. And he absolutely adored me with every part of his heart. I got free coffee here about anytime I wanted.

My father and I weren't the only ones with secret identities here in Paradise.

Eli (full name Elijah) moved here after Archer decided to disappear. He became the owner of Paradise Coffee, which was shockingly popular.

I was back in my school uniform, my swinging red hair being brushed back and forth across my back, as I saw Logan head over to my side. This felt different. Most of the time, I would be out the door and on my way home, occasionally excepting Elijah's offer.

And now Fate had decided to play a little prank and game and have the Logan Cross pop up at my side and walk me home.

"Oh. My. Gosh!" Elijah exclaimed. "Who may this boy be?" Elijah tried to nudge me inconspicuously but that backfired as I stumbled and nearly crashed into the black board stand.

"This is Logan, my body--" Logan cut me off first, sending me a chilly look before smiling graciously at Elijah.

"I'm her boyfriend."

No! No! He's my bodyguard, Elijah! I thought as a smile creeped onto his boyish features. I groaned inside when Elijah began dancing up and down in glee. Cross was just out to destroy every peaceful moment of my life, wasn't he?

Oh, yeah. Logan didn't know Elijah was my cousin. And Elijah didn't know that this was the Logan Cross, the legend who was the son of the head of XYZ, the agency Elijah used to work for.

"My little girl is growing up!" Elijah practically sobbed. "Oh my gosh, this is just so emotional! You guys are so perfect together! Park, sweetie, please let me fix you two a drink!"

I shook my head furiously, desperately hoping to get out of here right at the moment. But Logan pulled me up to the counter. And he sent my heart into a frenzied pattern of beating as he ordered my favorite drink.

All around me, my senses seemed to dull except for my sight, which blurred all the surroundings except for Logan. He seemed to shine in a different light, both in a good and bad way. No angels came down to praise his existence or claim him as their long-lost brother. But the comforting radiation of the lamps that hung above created a sweet halo of light that settled upon his dark hair. I bit my lips, carefully studying him. Just what was he up to? How did he know I liked the mocha cookie crumb mix? And why was he still holding my hand?

"Stop biting your lip," Cross muttered to me as my manager bounced away, dedicated to serving the best drink he was ever going to make for his favorite cousin in Montana.

I made a face at him. Elijah moved back to grab his glasses that he had put on the counter by the cashier.

"You look too cute doing it," he said loud enough for Elijah's vampiric hearing abilities to catch. A loving grin was permanently plastered on his face as he stalked away, humming Taylor Swift. I scowled.

"I am going to kill you the moment we step out of this shop."

"What?" he joked. "It's just the truth!"

"Since when did Logan Cross, king of Cross Academy, start dating Park Sparrow, the stupid red head who pisses off Logan Cross because she can't hold a good grade?" I snapped. "Stop calling me adorable or I'll give you a black eye."

"You will never make friends if you act this way," he warned. I made another face, and replied that I didn't need friends as long as I had a cat. Even though I didn't actually have a cat.

Logan laughed merrily, pinching my cheek just in time as Elijah came back over, two venti sized mocha cookie crumbed blend in his hands.

"Can I please have a picture?" he begged, using his irrestitable green puppy eyes that stood out so well against his black hipster glasses. "My little Sparrow is finally dating someone! It's a moment that's on my list of Must-Take-Picture."

Logan didn't object, and whatever Logan decreed, I apparently had to follow. Elijah took out his own iPhone. It took several long minutes. Elijah ordered us to pick up our drinks so it showed that we were matching. After that, he wanted Logan to wrap his arms around me. Then it came a matter of hair when I blurted out, "Elijah, the picture will be fine!"

"That's right!" he agreed. "The picture will be perfect because you two are perfect for each other!"

Sometimes, that boy sounds like a walking romance fanfiction. After that picture, and three more, Elijah permitted us to leave, waving goodbye as we walked away and disappeared around the block.

"Never again will I let you come there with me," I shivered, trying to erase the feeling of Logan's arm around my waist.

"Why?" he complained. "Elijah was so nice to me! He's already sent me the pictures!" To prove his words, he opened up his photos and showed me. Wait, wait, wait. Hold on! When did they exchange numbers? Did I miss all this camaraderie-ing when I stomped on Logan's foot after he kissed me on the forehead.

I glared at the pictures, but had to admit: Elijah was a spectacular photographer, even with a mere iPhone.

The lighting was perfect. I had been hoping that the darkness would cover my smile. Instead, it brought out the laughter that had bubbled out when Eli started gushing over his photography skills. It also pulled out this unknown kindness and fondness that was nestled in Logan's arms and eyes. If it was anyone but me in that photograph, my mind would've bathed in utter jealousy, thinking that this was the reincarnation of Romeo and Juliet, or a fairy tale princess and prince. They seemed to be made for each other. I scowled angrily. That wasn't supposed to happen.

Logan showed me the other three. One had King Cross pressing his lips to my forehead, another had us both sipping our drinks, our fingers pulled into a peace sign. The last one was when Logan suddenly crashed his lips against my cheek, showing a very red Sparrow.

"Oh, and I need your number," he added to his comments on how tomato-ish I looked.

"I refuse. You're already doing a fine job of stalking me without the use of technology," I huffed.

"I will sing if you don't give me your number," he warned. "Trust me; I will break into song in front of all of these old ladies speed walking by if you don't tell me your number. It is vital to my stalking career."

"I dare you," I taunted. Logan wouldn't do it. He was a soulless boy who believed only in the power of education and big vocabulary. And doing secret spy stuff. Plus, if he sang, he would make a very unhappy me. People can't be that perfect....can they?

When Logan saw that I was serious, he cleared his throat.

"Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy!" he sang, a deep, rich, and just plain amazing vocal tone escaping his lush lips. My face drained of blood and was replaced by a fiery, crimson anger. The passersby stopped and gawked, staring at....the thing that was singing to me.

Great. My bodyguard was a stalker, a hot one at that, with genius level intelligence, super spy skills that let him stalk me, and he can sing? Perfect, Father. Just perfect.

"But here's my number, so call me maybe?" he kept on singing while he punched in his phone number onto his screen.

"Give him your number!" one of them shouted, their voice surprisingly loud for something so old and fragile.

"Come on sweetheart! Give the boy a break!"

I was practically fuming when I stole his phone away from his grasp. I angrily punched in my digits. Just as I was about to hit smash the button that would let it save, I changed my name before shoving the stupid piece of technology back into his large hands.

"Thank you, princess," he said smugly. "Good night, love. I'll see you tomorrow." And with that, he turned around, leaving a flustered Park Sparrow behind. I was a brilliant shade of pink as the old ladies in jogging sweats clapped out of amusement.

First the academy, then my boss, and now old ladies who exercised? Just how many people would take his side? What next, aliens from outer space that broadcasting our fake relationship to the world? But as I marched the steps up to my home, I smiled.

I had just survived one whole day with a boy that I thought I hated. The smile slid off my face as I saw the first episode playing. Now I just had to deal with him for the rest of my life.

"How was your day, sweetheart?" my old man called from the kitchen.

"Father, the next time you get my a bodyguard, don't get Logan Cross," I snapped angrily, still thinking about his arm around my waist.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

HI! So I just wanted to say, this chapter might be boring. Or not, if you find Logan and Park arguing back and forth funny to read. I guess these pages were meant for foreshadowing.  

Are they meant for each other like the way everyone pictures it?  

And why does Park hate having friends?

Don't forget to vote/comment! :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 74 25
"𝘉𝘶𝘵 𝘢 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮 𝘪𝘴 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘺..." "𝘞𝘩𝘰'𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘴𝘢𝘺 𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘤𝘩 𝘪𝘴 𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘤𝘩?" ...
1.6K 74 12
A Necromancer without a soulmate A Crown Prince plagued with nightmarish visions A Mage unable to let go of the past ** Diya, the Crown Prince's b...
351K 9.4K 56
𝐀 𝐑𝐎𝐘𝐀𝐋 𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐁𝐈𝐃𝐃𝐄𝐍 𝐑𝐎𝐌𝐀𝐍𝐂𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐘 .・゜゜・ 𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐍𝐀 𝐃'𝐀𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐄 - She's the rebellious princess of Italy. Finding herself...
15 0 7
Welcome to the secret world of the "Therianthrope Wars"! This is a world where the mythical and fantastical have walked side by side with us through...