Nodus Tollens

By memoirsofjess

Juliet Harrington, a wealthy teen, who has a throne in the Hills and the world at her feet leads a pretty hec... More

Copyright.
Nodus Tollens.
I.
II.
III.
IV.
V.
VI.
VII.
VIII.
IX.
X.
XI.
XII.
XIII.
XIV.
XV.
XVI.
XVII.
XVIII.
XIX.
XX.
XXI.
XXII.
XXIII.
XXIV.
XXV.
XXVII.
XXVIII.
XXIX.
XXX.
XXXI.
XXXII.
XXXIII.
XXXIV.
XXXV.
XXXVI.
XXXVII.
XXXVIII.
XXXIX.
XL.
XLI.
XLII.
XLIII.
XLIV.
XLV.
XLVI.
XLVII.
XLVIII.
XLIX.
L.
LI.
LII.
LIII.
LIV.
LV.
LVI.
LVII.
LVIII.
LIX.
LX.
LXI.
LXII.
LXIII.
LXIV.
LXV.
LXVI.
LXVII.
LXVIII.
LXIX.
LXX.
LXXI.
LXXII.
LXXIII.
LXIV.
LXV.
LXVI.

XXVI.

2.5K 133 48
By memoirsofjess

My fingers flew across my the screen of my phone as I weaved through the crowded school hallway, my focus entirely on the conversation I was having with Jade. Well, argument really.

She was insisting that Chanel was better than Versace, which made her more of a nutcase than I originally thought. Sure Chanel was seen as the superior brand, but Versace's designs were on a level Chanel just did not touch.

I stumbled back when I bumped into what felt like a brick wall.

"Ugh, can you watch where you're go-," I paused when I saw it was Lucas and rolled my eyes. "Ew."

I stepped around him, ignoring whatever he was beginning to say and continued yelling at Jade in my messages.

"Juliet," Lucas said, coming up next to me. "Can we talk?"

"Fuck off, Lucas," I said, my eyes glued on my screen. "I'm in the middle of something pretty important."

"Come on," he grabbed my arm and pulled me to the side of the hallway.

"Excuse me," I slapped his hand away and glared at him. "Do not touch me."

"Jules," he sighed, his blue eyes showed hints of exasperation. "It's been a few weeks now. Aren't you done with the temper tantrum?"

"It's not a temper tantrum, Luke," I crossed my arms across my chest. "I meant it when I said I was done with you. You broke my heart for goodness sake. Did you really think that was something I would let slide?"

"To be quiet honest I didn't know you had a heart to break," he said seriously.

"Oh, that's funny," I moved to walk away, but his arm slipped around my waist to hold me in place. "What did I say about the touching?"

"Okay, okay, I'm sorry," he said sincerely. "Really and truly sorry. You're absolutely right, I should have never messed around with Stac-"

"Don't say her name in my presence," I warned him.

"Her," he corrected himself. "I should have never messed around with her. It was stupid and wrong and it was a complete downgrade from you. Anyone is a complete downgrade from you."

"Well, I'm glad you've finally acknowledged you were wrong, and that it doesn't get better than me," I smiled and nodded.

"So...are we good?" He asked hopefully.

"Of course. I'm not one to hold a grudge," I patted his cheek lightly. "We still aren't getting back together though."

"Woah, woah, woah," he tightened his grip on me when I tried to squirm free. "Are you serious?"

"What? Oh, come on, Luke even if I wanted to get back together with you, which I do not, I couldn't. Do you have any idea how bad it would look if I got back with my cheating ex," I scoffed. "I have a reputation to uphold. Plus, I've already deleted every one of your pictures across social media. It's a shut and close case, buddy."

"You are so full of it," he snapped, sounding completely annoyed. "Why are you acting like you haven't cheated on me before?"

"Do you have any proof?" I cocked my head, trying not to smirk. "If not, you shouldn't go throwing around accusations like that. You look unreliable."

"Is it someone else?" He questioned. "Hmm? You found someone else? Is that it?"

Coincidentally enough it was at that moment that Arsen and mousy Ashleigh decided to pass by on their way to class.

He smiled at me as he walked by, and I returned the smile back automatically, lifting my hand in a wave.

When I looked back at Lucas he was giving me a disgusted look.

"What?"

"Oh, how cute," his voice oozed with sarcasm. "You've fallen for your tutor. A little cliche don't you think, babe?"

"Jealous?"

"Jealous of what? I can get any girl I want."

"Didn't you just admit that anybody that isn't me is a downgrade?" I smiled sweetly.

"You may want to warn your nerd that getting involved with you wouldn't be the best thing for his state of mind," he gave me an exceptionally flat look. "Dating a vapid and emotionally unavailable bitch kind of sucks. No matter how hot she is."

"And dating a self-centered jock who has the IQ and personality of a rock isn't that much fun either," I patted his chest. "May wanna slap a sign on your forehead for your future conquests. That is if you can spell it out."

I stepped around him and started off only to get hauled back over.

"What?"

"Do you have a date for homecoming?" He smiled, gripping my hand tightly.

I blinked, more than a little thrown off.

"Do you have a multiple personality disorder?"

"Is that a no?"

"That's a it's none of your damn business."

"So, no."

"I'm not going with you if that's what you're getting at here," I tugged on my arm. "Like I said before, I have a reputation to uphold."

"The only reputation you have is being a bitch," he smirked. "No, but seriously we should go together."

"Do you just pick and choose what you want to hear when I speak?" I demanded.

"Listen, after this pleasant conversation I'm beginning to realize I really don't miss....well, anything about you really."

"Oh, how charming," I placed a hand over my heart. "You really know how to sweep a girl off her feet. This is certainly the way to get me to go to Homecoming with you."

"Let's just go together for images sake," he proposed. "The King and Queen should walk in arm and arm. Plus, the corsage you ordered for me to give to you came in the mail the other day. I can't even try to give it to someone else seeing as you've banned the entire female population from wearing anything with even the slightest hint of purple on it."

I stopped trying to get away from and began to consider his words. He made a good point, unfortunately.

In the grand scheme of things there really wasn't anybody else who would be fitting to accompany me to the dance. I had been planning this particular Homecoming with Lucas for months in advance. Even, as he said, reserving my color, making it clear through a mass message that purple of any shade was off limits for this event.

And it wasn't like there was a question about whether or not we were going to be crowned King and Queen. It was a simple fact we would be getting majority of our class's votes.

Plus, I intended to have my girls stuff the ballot box as an insurance policy.

Homecoming was in the next few weeks. There was no time for me to uproot all my plans that centered around Lucas and I, and in truth nobody I could've possibly gone with would be at Lucas's level. He may've been a dick, but he was a popular dick.

"Fine," I finally said. "I'll go with you, but only because it was the original plan to go together. You know, before you screwed my friend."

"Friend?" He snorted.

"I use the term very loosely," I pulled my hand from his loosened grip. "I'll unblock your number so we can coordinate."

"How gracious of you."

"You're also only allowed to touch me at designated times. I'll send you a schedule," I turned on my heel and continued on my way down the hall.

__________

"Red."

I looked up from my locker to see Arsen coming up beside me. I smiled brightly as he leaned against the locker next to mine.

Ever since Arsen and I's shared moment in the garage, the slight feelings that I had been, well, not avoiding, but refusing to fully acknowledge, were making a racket in my chest. More so whenever he was in close vicinity.

"Orphan," I stuffed my notebooks in my bag. "You know, ever since I've been on this studying kick I've had to actually carry around a backpack instead of my blood red Valentino purse. It's really upsetting."

"You poor thing," he snorted, his words not sounding at all sincere.

"I know," I sighed, shaking my head. "The things I do for education."

"So," he said, folding his arms across his chest. "You and Lucas back together?"

I furrowed my eyebrows as I extracted a tube of mascara from one of the corners of my locker.

"Ummm...no?" I extracted the wand from the bottle and sighed when I saw it had completely dried out.

Ugh what a waste. I needed to stop throwing my make up products all over the place.

"Why would you think that?" I asked, tossing the mascara back in my locker.

"Oh, you two were just hanging all over each other earlier so I just assumed...," he shrugged.

"Well, you assumed wrong," I grabbed the small bottle of hand lotion I kept on the top shelf and squeezed the cream on the palm of my hand. "It's around the time I would normally get back together with him, but honestly since this particular break up I've grown as an individual. I've learned a tiger can't change its spots."

"Leopard."

"What?"

"The saying is a leopard can't change his spots," he explained. "Because they're the ones with spots...and tigers have stripes."

"Oh," I paused. "Right. I knew that. Anyway, my point is Lucas is a waste of time. He's boring, rude, annoying, not a good conversationalist, and he slept with my archenemy. I hate him and everything he stands for."

"Okay, then," he nodded, clearly trying to suppress a smile.

"I am going to Homecoming with him though," I threw in, studying my reflection in the mirror pinned on the door of my locker.

"You hate him and everything he stands for, but you're going to Homecoming with him?" Arsen paused. "Does that make sense?"

"Well, I kind of have to," I waved my hand in the air as I explained. "I've planned my whole night around us months and months in advance, so changing it up now will just throw everything completely off. Plus, he's going to be crowned King, and I'm most certainly going to be crowned Queen, so it only makes sense we walk in together. It's really only for aesthetic purposes."

"That...still doesn't make that much sense, but okay," he shrugged.

I hesitated on the question dancing on the tip of my tongue, unsure if I really wanted to know, but my nosiness overpowered any and every other emotion I could be possibly feeling.

"Who are you going to Homecoming with?" I asked, peering up at him expectantly.

"I don't think I'm going to Homecoming," he replied.

"What?" I gasped. "Why not?"

"Dances aren't really my thing."

"Dances aren't your thing," I repeated. "Drinking, partying, skipping, and doing drugs also aren't your things. My god, you're like every parent's wet dream. Are you antisocial?"

"No, Juliet," he sighed. "I'm not antisocial I just don't find school dances to be that fun."

"What are you talking about? I always have a blast at them."

"Because you're always the center of attention."

"True...," I nodded. "But still! You should totally go. It's the last Homecoming we'll ever get the chance of experiencing. These are the moments you just don't get back."

"I'm okay with that," he shrugged.

"Killjoy," I shook my head. "And I was so looking forward to dancing with you."

"Oh, yeah?" A small smile turned up the corner of his lips.

"Mhmm," I nodded. "I can't think of anyone else I could use to escape Lucas."

"Well, now that you've put it like that I just have to go now," he laughed.

I giggled and smacked his arm. "No, but seriously. You should really consider coming. You may regret it one day."

"I'll think about it," he said. "I make no promises though."

"I suppose I can take that. For now," I turned back to my locker and continued sorting through my bag.

"So, listen,  you wouldn't mind if I were to cancel our study session tonight would you?"

"You're cancelling?" I asked, feeling inappropriately disappointed. "How come?"

"My friends and I were going to head down to the beach."

"Oh."

One of the major perks of living in California, in my personal opinion, was that it was beach weather almost all year round. Even as October was coming to its end, the humidity just wouldn't let up.

"Okay," I nodded, shutting my locker. "That's fine."

Arsen chuckled and fell into step with me as I headed down the hallway.

"Why do you look so disappointed?" He asked. "Have you suddenly become keen to study?"

"I'm not disappointed I just don't like sudden changes in my schedule," I shrugged. "But like I said, it's fine. Any excuse not to study is more than okay with me. You go have fun."

There was a brief pause, and then he said, "Maybe this is weird to ask you, but did you want to come?"

"Come?" I furrowed my eyebrows. "To the beach? With...you? Really?"

"Yeah, I mean, if you want to," he smiled a little. "It's weird, isn't it?"

"No, no...well, maybe a little," I admitted. "But just because I don't really think your friends would appreciate me tagging along. I don't know if you noticed, but aside from Lauren they don't really like me."

"Justin likes you," he reminded me.

"Justin likes my clothes...which is completely understandable. They're amazing."

"Well, to be fair you don't like them that much either."

"Because they're all annoying."

Arsen gave me an unamused look, and I shrugged. They were.

"Point is," I continued. "Nobody would want me there, and I try to avoid places where I'm not wanted...usually...depending on the circumstances."

"I want you there," he said, sincerity coating his voice. "If you don't want to that's fine, I know you tend not to hang out with people lower than you, but if you do want to you should."

I pressed my lips together and pretended I was contemplating my options. The answer was of course yes. Spending time with Arsen had become increasingly fun, and any excuse to be with him was an excuse I would take. I, however, did not want to come off as too eager. That was such a turn off.

"I'll to move a few things around in my schedule, but...sure why not? I need to work on my tan anyway."

"Awesome," he grinned. "We were planning on heading down around four. I can pick you up?"

"That sounds great," I smiled, playing with a strand of my hair.

Additri walked up beside me and looped her arm through mine.

"Hey, hey," she smiled over at Arsen. "Hi, Arsen."

"Hi," he nodded at her, and then turned his gaze back on me. "So, I'll see you at four?"

"See you at four," I nodded, and he walked away.

Additri waited till he was out of earshot before she started up.

"What's happening at four? Are you guys going on a date?"

"No, we're not going on a date," I bumped her shoulder.  "Be quiet."

"How he's not gotten the hint that you're into him is beyond me. Especially since you're being so full on."

"I'm not being full on," I said defensively.

She dropped my arm and began to twirl a strand of her hair around her finger while batting her eyelashes.

"That sounds great, Arsen," she said, doing what I was assuming was an impersonation of me. "I love you sooo much, we're totally soulmates. Can we get married? How many kids do you want?"

I laughed and shoved her. "Stop! I don't sound like that."

"Yes, you do," she giggled. "No, but seriously what's happening at four? Don't you guys study around six?"

"We're going to the beach...well, me, him and his irritating friends. Which reminds me," I pulled out my phone. "I need to cancel practice."

"Wow, cancelling practice and hanging out with his loser friends? You're in deeper than I thought, Jules," she whistled.

"I like his company," I shrugged, typing a message out to the group chat. "Doesn't mean I'm deep in anything."

"Isn't what they all say?" She laughed.

"Whatever," I rolled my eyes, smiling slightly.

__________

"Inez," I yelled, running down the stairs and to the kitchen. "Ine-"

"She's grocery shopping," Dad said, tapping away at his laptop on the island.

"Oh," I dropped my handbag on the counter with a sigh.

"Anything I can help you with?" He glanced up from his computer.

Seeing as I was going to ask Inez for some boy advice, which was a conversation I most certainly did not want to have with my dad, I quickly declined his offer.

"Uh, no," I sorted through my bag to make sure I had all my stuff. "I'm going out. That okay?"

"Sure, just be home by curfew," he nodded.

"Since when do I have a curfew?" I asked, pulling out my compact mirror to check my make up.

"Since always," he gave me a look. "Ten o'clock on weekdays. I would hope you don't take advantage of my sometimes absence and ignore the rules I've set for you."

I paused a moment longer than I should have before shaking my head. "Nope."

"Mhmm," his eyes cast back down to his computer. "Speaking of which, I'm going to be out of town for the next few weeks. I've got some business in Tokyo I need to attend to."

"Didn't you say you were going to try to stick around for a while?" I asked, walking over to the fridge. "It's barely been two months."

"I'll be back before you know it," he assured me.

In other words, I would be lucky if he showed up in time for Christmas.

"Are you taking Alexis with you?" I asked hopefully, pulling out two icy bottles of Evian.

"No, she'll stay here," he said absentmindedly.

"Great," I didn't bother trying to sweeten my tone, instead I allowed it to come off as sour as I felt.

The tone seemed to catch my dad's attention because he pulled his eyes away from his computer and focused on me.

"How are you two getting along anyway?"

"I try to avoid her at all costs," I said honestly, dumping the water bottles into my beach bag.

"Juliet," he sighed. "Can't you make an effort?"

"Why should I?" I began sorting through my bag to make sure I had everything. "Look, you should grateful I'm ignoring her. If I gave her any type of attention it would be the giving her Hell type, which would probably run her out of here."

I pointedly ignored my father's gaze and zipped up my bag slowly.

"You know I really like her," he finally said, and I had to suppress my eye roll.

"Good for you," I said shortly, placing my hands on my hips.

"And I really want you to like her," he continued.

"I really wanted the last season of Gossip Girl to be longer," I blinked. "It wasn't, but I learned to deal with it."

"Your attitude isn't very attractive, Juliet," he said, now beginning to sound fed up.

"No, you know what isn't very attractive? Moving your girlfriend of the month into our house without discussing it with me, and then acting shocked when I don't like her. That is not attractive, Dad."

The sound of our doorbell rang through our house before he had the chance to answer, and I grabbed my bag.

"That's my ride."

"Juliet, don't you walk away from me," he stood.

"Don't wait up," I stormed out of the kitchen and hurried to the foyer.

"Hey," Arsen's smile greeted me when I swung open the door. "Ready to go...what's wrong?"

"My life is imploding that's what's wrong," I pushed him out the door and slammed it shut behind me.

"Imploding?" He paused. "Like really imploding, or 'Juliet's a dramatic person, and believes her life is imploding when it's really not' imploding?"

I gave him a look. "Hilarious. Let's just go please."

"After you," he motioned towards the steps that led to the packed car sitting on the stone driveway. "And please, try to behave yourself."

"I make no promises," I shrugged, descending down stairs.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A/N: Sorry for the late update guys. College is kicking my ass 🙄😓. Hope you enjoyed the chapter though!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

224K 6K 34
Jessica is your everyday not-so-stereotypical nerd. She does not act like regular nerds, who are obsessed with having perfect grades, although she is...
1M 47.2K 36
**A Wattpad Featured Story** Madison Carlisle isn't just popular, she's the one girls want to be and the guys want to be with. But what's a girl to d...
1.1M 36.2K 32
[C O M P L E T E D] crooked grins, sly hands, and one dangerous voice "Corbin Foxx. 18 years old. Spoiled snobby kid born with a silver spoon who thi...
365K 7.3K 23
When the anxious, new girl to the school runs into the popular boy and his friends she couldn't be more mortified. He couldn't be more godsmacked. ...