LVIII.

"Hey, Arsen," I slid into the seat beside him at his unusually empty lunch table.

"Hey," he smiled, looking up from his sandwich. "Sitting with us today?"

"Us implies your friends are coming?" I couldn't stop myself from making a face. "I think I'll pass."

"I wish you all would just get along," he sighed, sitting back in his chair. "You know, they really are great people."

"Really? I couldn't tell."

"Juliet," he smiled a little.

I shrugged and smiled brightly, leaning a little bit closer to him so that our arms were touching. "Are you excited for tonight?"

"Ahh the dreaded winter formal," he said, making a face.

"Oh shut up," I rolled my eyes. "You asked me to go!"

"I know. I'm joking," he laughed, gently nudging me. "I'm very excited. It should be fun."

"I spent so much time looking for the perfect dress. I haven't been this stressed out since...well...the last dance."

"I'm sure that anything would have worked for you. In case you hadn't noticed, you're kind of beautiful."

I tapped my fingers against my chin. "Only kind of beautiful? Not really, extraordinarily, jaw dropping beautiful?"

"You are way too much for your own good," he laughed, shaking his head.

"That's why you like so much."

"Among other things," he grinned.

"Oooh like what?" I sat up straight. "Go on. List off a few things."

"I've done enough for your ego for one day," he tapped my forehead.

"As if you won't be showering me in compliments when you see my world shattering dress," I smiled smugly.

"You'll get a 'you look nice' and nothing else."

"You better not," I slapped his arm. "Don't do that. I'll refuse to go anywhere with you."

"Sensitive, sensitive. You just need to be praised all the time don't you?"

"Anything wrong with that?"

"No. I'll just make sure to follow it up with a treat and head rub as well."

I ducked away as he reached for the top of my head and smacked his arm away.

"I ran into your mom at the mall the other day," I said as my giggles slowed down.

"Oh, yeah she mentioned she saw you," Arsen nodded. "I hope she didn't do or say anything that would embarrass me too much."

"Nah. I mean, there were a few baby pictures she brought up on her phone, but other than that..."

"Very funny," he poked my side.

I leaned back and grabbed his hand. "Stop."

"Did you guys talk about me?" He asked, not attempting to remove his fingers from my grip.

"The world does not revolve around you, Arsen," I stated.

That couldn't be considered a lie. It a mere statement of fact.

"Right cause there's only enough room for it to revolve around you," he said, pulling his hands away to pinch my sides.

"Ow! Arsen," I protested, slapping his hands away.

Unfortunately, the laughter and fun air didn't last for very long as his friends began taking their seats around.

I didn't bother muting my groan, which earned me a kick from Arsen. He gave me a look, and I gave him one right back.