Tere Liye | ✔

By NB_Collections

Following the arrest of Shyam Manohar Jha, Arnav and Khushi have found a new spirit to build their lives toge... More

Chapter One - A promise
Chapter Two - Rekindling
Chapter Three - An Accident
Chapter Four - A Friend In Need Is A Friend Indeed
Chapter Five - Junior ASR
Chapter Six - Interrupted Romance
Chapter Seven - Opportunity
Chapter Eight - The Awaited Union
Chapter Nine - The Looming Danger
Chapter Ten - Rising Doubts
Chapter Eleven - Family Time
Chapter Twelve - The Challenge
Chapter Thirteen - The Match
Chapter Fourteen - Fears and Promises
Chapter Fifteenth - Destroyed In Love
Chapter Sixteen - A Bleeding Heart
Chapter Seventeen - Devastation
Chapter Eighteen - A Prank
Chapter Nineteen - Coursing Shock
Chapter Twenty-One - Near Yet Far
Chapter Twenty-Two - That Day
Chapter Twenty-Three - A Date To Remember
Chapter Twenty-Four - What He Lost
Chapter Twenty-Five - An Allergic Reaction
Chapter Twenty-Six - The Solution
Chapter Twenty-Seven - Appalling Virulence
Chapter Twenty-Eight - Concealed Love
Chapter Twenty-Nine - The End
Chapter Thirty - Punishment
Chapter Thirty-One - Aarav
Chapter Thirty-Two - Alleviation
Chapter Thirty-Three - Healed
Chapter Thirty-Four - Perfect Family

Chapter Twenty - Aghast

13K 749 461
By NB_Collections

"I am sure this is all a plan of this family. Of course it's them. They never liked me being close with Arnav and that's why they are doing all this. They think they'll scare me away on the name of Khushi? Like hell they will."

Sheetal muttered as she paced the length of her room. She has been thinking over this matter since the past half an hour before reaching this conclusion.

It must be it and it seems so much simpler and even plausible for them to be the culprit, she thought as she sat on the bed, seething at the audacity of these people.

If they really think they would be able to separate her from Arnav then they are mistaken. She has tread a long way. Did so many things, crossed so many limits that she can't retrace her path and accept defeat. That's not an option for her. In contrast, the only thing left for her to do is move forward and eliminate anything or anyone that blocked her path. 

Her fists gripped the bed sheet as anger seared through her again, triggering that same madness that once reigned her when she was at risk of loosing Arnav to Khushi and her baby.

If they want to play games then they are most welcome to do so, but then, the consequences they'll face can't be blamed at her. She has already taken one life, two if she now thinks about it and if staying with Arnav required taking more, she would gladly do it. Without even flinching. 

The terrifying glint in her eyes faltered and she stood with a start, hearing a tumbling sound outside her room.

Well, looks like someone is not tired of playing games for the night.

She mentally muttered as she walked towards the door and outside her room, this time being careful of where she was keeping her feet. She then tip toed along the corridor, following the footsteps she was hearing, then froze as she reached the end of staircase and saw a shadow pass by on the wall. 

"Now I'll teach you a lesson. In just one day you have made my life a living hell, now it's your turn." She gritted. Taking hold of the vase from the table, she hurried behind the pillar and positioned herself and watched the shadow intently, keeping track on when to attack.

Smirking, she lifted the vase over her head and jumped out from her hiding to strike just as the shadow approached. However, a familiar screech, followed the shattering of glass froze her to the spot, as she realised who was really in front of her. 

"Payal?"

She yelled, incredulously at the shaking figure in front of her. She glanced down, the shards of the broken jug everywhere. Looking back up at Payal who hid her face behind her palms, dreading the hit, she opened her mouth to speak - to ask her clearly what she was doing here despite the answer being quite obvious. 

Nevertheless, her words never got to escape her throat as soon after, the dim hall enlightened and the sounds of running feet resonated as the entire family rushed down, panicking at the bloody-Mary scream they just heard.

"Payal?" Escaped Akash's bewildered mouth as he rushed to her shivering form, scared to death since he identified that cry as hers. 

"Are you, are you okay? Are you hurt somewhere?" He asked, taking her hands off her face to inspect any injuries.

"A-akash.." Payal in turn exhaled, deeply in relief. She held on to him, pointing towards a visibly shocked Sheetal.

"She's-she's crazy, Akash! I was just coming back to our room with water when she tried hitting me with that vase!" She accused, her round eyes both angry and surprised as they stared at the psychotic lady in front of her.

Everyone gasped, then gaped at Sheetal when they caught the sight of the vase actually in her hands. Sheetal noticed their gaze and that was when she realized she had been still holding onto the vase. She unclasped it from her fingers hurriedly, its crashing sound causing everyone to retreat and look at her with an increased fret, fearing that she might have actually lost her mind. 

Sheetal hissed, scandalized at how all of this turned out to seem. 

"I, I was not intending to hurt her." She started, trying earnestly to explain her case and control the damage. "I just heard a sound and I thought the person who was trying to hurt me was there. That's why I, I took this. I swear I wasn't planning on hitting Payal!"

Her explanation did nothing but deepen the wariness of those who heard her and Akash gritted, a shaking Payal in his arms.

"I seriously don't know what's wrong with you but whatever it is, I request you to control it before I, or anyone of us started taking matters in our own hands. We don't want to risk our lives like this anymore." He barked at her brusquely, making her go silent at the intensity of his suppressed fury.

"Akash, calm down." Anjali rushed to place her hand on his shoulder, afraid that his patience would snap completely at Sheetal. 

"Payalji is scared. Just take her to your room." She blinked at him when he tried to retort, forcing him to swallow his anger and leave the spot with Payal. 

She sighed, now turning to look at Sheetal who had her eyes stubbornly fixated on the ground.

"And you, Sheetalji." She started, her voice laced with exasperation. "What is even going in your mind? What do you think, we are all trying to kill here?" She paused as if expecting an answer from Sheetal, then went on. 

"For God sake, neither us nor anyone else is trying to scare you here. So, please, stop scaring us in turn." She folded her hands in front of her, utterly tired and worn out of her drama.

Biting the insides of her cheeks, Sheetal could only nod. There was no way to convince them that what she was feeling was real and thus, she chose not to waste her time and humiliate herself more than she already was.

"Sheetal, you look tired. I think you should take some rest as the doctor suggested."

Eyes rolled and shoulders slumped as Arnav spoke his concern for his dear friend whilst moving to stand in front of her.

"Some sleep will refresh your mind." He added, tapping Sheetal's shoulder slightly and making her aware that at least he was there for her. 

Sheetal smiled through the tears of embarrassment and nodded meekly at him, a usual blush creeping up on her.

In contrast to her reaction, Anjali bore a comical face. Her lips quirked to one side at Arnav's words which seemed sweeter than honey, giving her a sickening feeling in the pits of her stomach. Her eyes widened the next second, as she saw Sheetal about to wrap her hand around Arnav's arms and she rushed to stand between them, much to Sheetal's surprise and irritation.

"You know what, Chotte? You're right. She really needs some sleep. So, let me stay with her, I'll make sure she sleeps well. Um, NK Bhai?" Anjali maintained a smile on her face as she called out.

"Can you look after Aarav meanwhile? He's in my room." She requested and upon a nod from NK, started moving with Sheetal.

"Let's go, Sheetalji." She said, glancing down at Sheetal who couldn't hide her resentful eyes soon enough for her (Anjali) to miss it. Nonetheless, pretending like she did not see anything, Anjali simply trudged along the hallway and towards the guest room. 

The thoughts that Payal's scream had interrupted started running through her mind again and she exhaled, agreeing to the previous voice in her head who told her something.

Maybe it was time for Sheetalji to get her apartment at last.

___________________

The next morning, as the family were seated around the breakfast table, Anjali had approached Sheetal - Her hands behind her back and a smile set in a perfect line on her face. 

"Sheetalji?"

Her soft tone and her friendly attitude had taken Sheetal by surprise and she stood up from her chair, lips stretching into an uncertain smile. 

"Ye-yes, Anjali Di?" 

Anjali inched forward and kept her hand on Sheetal's shoulder, blinking amicably. 

"First of all, I would like to apologize for my behavior last night. I shouldn't have shouted at you like that." She sighed, as if dejected by her own actions. 

Confused, Sheetal's eyebrows shot high, almost disappearing behind her side-parted hair. "Ji?" 

Anjali cupped her face, ignoring the deepened shock in the latter's eyes.

"Yes. I realized quite late yesterday that I should have understood you. After all, you must have been so tired from taking care of Arnav for so many days after what happened to Khushiji. I should have been thankful to you, and understand that it was so hard for you too to cope with this atmosphere. But instead, I thought only about myself and my family."

She withdrew her hand from Sheetal's face and pretended to wipe off the tears that never pooled up in her eyes. From the corner of those eyes, she saw an enraged Akash standing up, his confusion fading into pure anger as he opened his mouth to object her behavior. Her eyes turned rigid, gesturing him to stop and with a resigned exhale, he took his seat again, sharing glances with his utterly horrified family. 

Anjali sighed at him and looking back at Sheetal who was still trying to make sense of what's going on, she resumed her forlorn expression.

"But now I can't continue with this injustice. You have endured a lot, ever since Khushiji has gone missing and even though your support has helped Arnav tremendously, I can't force you to live this like just for our betterment. That's why," She paused, bringing her other hand which clutched a note, to Sheetal's view. 

"That's why I have decided to free you." 

Her confusion disappeared in thin air as Anjali's intentions at last became clear, settling in her mind with an awful intuition and she gaped at her note, her mouth going dry with the possibilities.

"What is it?" She asked, trying but failing to sound stable as her hand reached from the paper. 

"Broker's number." Anjali's response as well as the number perfectly scribbled on the paper as if punched her in the throat and she looked up, unable to speak.

"I have already spoke to him. Everything is set, you just have to sign some papers."

Sheetal's mouth hung low. "But why?" 

"Because you deserve to be away from this commotion. We have no right to drag you in our family matters and neither do you need to suffer due to our crises. As much as we have loved your help, it's also true that we don't want our problems to take a toll on you, more than it already has, apparently."

Anjali's voice was consistent with calmness and feigned concern, the sarcasm of which got to Sheetal and also made an appearance in her eyes in the form of red. She swallowed, blinking to ease the bubbling steam and made an attempt to revert what Anjali was trying to do. 

"But Anjali di, I, I can't accept this." She forced a smile on her face and forwarded the note back to Anjali. "It's too much. I can't let you offer me this." 

Anjali's smile stretched with a pique fakeness. "Oh c'mon Sheetalji, do you think I would ever disregard your morals like this? Of course not. That's why don't worry, it's not a charity but a loan. You can return the money to me at your convenience later on." 

A small eruption of titters was heard from her left and Sheetal inhaled, glancing at the family members who looked elsewhere, their mouth pressed shut to control their laughter at her reddened face. 

"Any other problem, Sheetalji?" Anjali cocked her head and looked at her with a suppressed yet sly grin. 

"Not at all." Sheetal replied through clenched teeth, trying hard to keep the storm that brew in her at bay as she passed by Anjali. She racked her brain, almost ransacking everything in there in her attempt to search for an excuse effective enough to trick this Anjali. Finding none, she sighed in despair and gripped the railing. 

The next second, it was as if God Himself heard her prayer, for a firm familiar voice boomed in the hall. 

"Sheetal is not going anywhere."

Her eyes lit up with hope and she spun around, smiling widely to see Arnav. His confused eyes traveled from her to his Di, as he marched inside. She straightened her posture, thanking the lord for sending Arnav home so soon from his early meeting. 

"Di, what's going on? Why are you sending her away?" He asked Anjali, his brows pulled together, expressing his strong dislike of her decision. 

Anjali stared at him, her mouth set in a tight-lipped.

"I'm not sending her away. I'm giving her the apartment she wanted ever since she came to Delhi. I'm helping her." 

"Yeah but," Arnav started, darting his eyes towards Sheetal before meeting his Di's. "You know how she's been since yesterday. As such, she needs to rest to get better. How will she manage alone in such condition?" 

His retaliation peaked something in Anjali and she clenched her jaw, feeling a knot of suppressed resentment forming in her throat, threatening to fall out in the form of words. 

"Exactly." Swallowing past the ball of bitterness, she retorted. 

"She needs rest and the atmosphere here is anything but apt to seek peace from. As such her condition will only deteriorate. That's why it'd be better if she stays away from this house, and from us." 

"Okay but again, how will she manage alone? And what about Aarav? How will she take care of herself, her work, the house and him altogether?" 

"If we can get her a house then we can surely get her some helpers as well, Arnav." Anjali's voice turned more rigid as the anger started tainting her tone and voice. Next to be tainted was her words.

"I honestly see no reason why her staying here is in any way beneficial for her. Except for your intense wish to have her around you. Tell me Arnav, what do you even want her here so bad? Who is she for you after all?" 

There was a seethe in her eyes as she demanded and Arnav took a step back, momentarily shocked by the fury she seemed to be carrying. 

"She's my friend. A support system for me ever since Khushi.." He halted, giving out a wince as if the memory of Khushi pinched something inside of him. 

As if. 

"Arnav." Anjali gritted. The sorrow he forced into his eyes fueled her anger more and more as she took a step towards him - her eyes, on the verge of tearing up, stared right into his which were on the verge of blasting at her persistence. 

"What is she to you?" She repeated her words, chewing on them with vehemence and profounding Arnav's dubiety. 

Tired of being a silent spectator, Akash rose to his feet and stepped towards his siblings who were ironically eyeing each other like opponents. The tension thickened in the air, forcing him to step in the conversation. 

"Di, let it be." 

His quivering voice requested, dreading the turn this was taking - his condition quite akin to those who stood behind him, scared of this conversation. 

"One second Akash." Anjali's palm rose and he stopped in his tracks, his shoulders slumping in helplessness as he eyed the two. 

Bringing her hand down, Anjali again looked at Arnav. The reminder of his behavior from the past week followed by his visibly pretentious grief flashed in her head, deepening her rage as well as the acrimony in her words whose effect would be way more disastrous than she intended.

"Tell me." She started, clearly no longer in control of her emotions. "What is she to you? A friend? A support system or a mechanism who so effectively made up for Khushiji's absence in your life?" 

Her double meaning statement ignite a gasp among everyone as no one was naive enough to fail in grasping the underlying claims she was making. 

A silence followed that spasm of gasps. Anjali's question hung in the air, dense and thick as it continued to worsen the state of Arnav, who gawked at her.

"You're crossing the limits." He stated - his tone composed but his appalled eyes flaming with wrath and daring her to continue. 

However, instead of intimidating her, his statement made her chuckle mirthlessly. 

"I'm crossing the limits?" She asked, her shoulders shaking in her humorless laugh, until it disappeared and she re-embraced her resentful face. 

"Three days after Khushiji goes missing, what does her husband do instead of looking for her? He mingles with his friend, goes out with her, enjoy her company, play with her son, and goes on to live his life as if nothing ever happened." Her chest rose and fell in slow motion as she breathed furiously, stepping closer to him. 

"So who crossed the limits? Me?" She pointed towards herself, then poked the same finger on Arnav's chest. "Or you?" 

"We're just friends." 

Arnav held her finger, bringing it down as he forced the words out of his throat, his low and shaky whisper holding a plea for her to stop. But instead of stopping her, his statement fueled her fury and she bellowed, throwing her hands in the air exasperatedly.

"No! No, you're not! This is not friendship, Arnav! It's not. It's just a blatant deceit." She paused as her eyes flooded with tears. "To the person you once claimed to have loved." 

Her hands latched on his collar and she shook his frail body vehemently. 

"Do you even remember her?" Her breaking voice asked. "Do you remember Khushiji? The girl you used to, or used to pretend to love? She is not here Arnav. She is missing and you are not even bothered about her." She spatted and left his collar with a jerk, causing him to stumble a few steps back with misty red eyes. 

Payal leaned against Akash at the scene. The mention of her sister and the reminder of what she must be going through weakened her heart. Akash looked at her through a blurry veil, before holding her slumping body from touching the cold marble floor whilst Manohar and Manorama held a weeping Devyani who broke down silently, unable to belief that she was seeing such a tiff between her children - her two pillars.

An ache was present in Anjali's heart as well and there was a voice in her mind that rebuked her for every word that she uttered - reminding her that she owed her whole life to the person in front of her and that she should shut her mouth and accept his happiness. But at the same time, she knew his this happiness was a disgrace, to her mother and to her sister-in-law who did not deserve what she got. 

"And even if she's dead Chotte," Her voice lowered into a croaking whisper, bringing Arnav back from the stupor he had slipped into during the brief pause. Her throat pained, feeling constricted by emotions as she continued with great difficulty, earnestly trying to reach out to her brother who got lost somewhere in his own body. 

"..even if she's no longer with us, her body must be just laying somewhere." A sob left her and shook her shoulder with a jerk as she spoke. "It's been a week and we haven't even got a news about her body because you stopped the investigation." 

Her finger again poked through his chest, her words acting like needle and piercing even deeper into his heart. 

"We haven't even had a proper funeral for her. Her death just went unnoticed as if she was not someone who saved our lives but just a stranger whose face and name we happen to remember. Is this not crossing all the limits, huh..huh Cho-tte?" 

His hollow eyes simply stared at her instead of replying and a wave of grief washed over her as she staggered back at his lack of response, shaking her head in utter devastation as a soul-racking conclusion corroded her mind, making it difficult for her to think straight and she ended up blurting the words out. 

"You know what," Her deadpan voice started again, coldness seeping into her every word. "Today you're making me wonder whether you ever truly tried to overpower the blood of Malliks in you. You proved it Arnav, that you're just a product of Arvind Mallik who deemed his wife just as a trophy he won against Shyam, then went to hide under someone else's cocoon when the same wife was no longer able to fulfill his needs."

She regretted her words the second they leapt out of her mouth and hit Arnav's with a force, paralyzing him to such an extent where he couldn't even join the rest in gasping. His fury had disappeared completely, she noted, and was instead replaced with a sheen of horror as her words seared and cut through him. She winced along with him as it seemed like her words was twisting knifes in his heart and as a lone of utter angst rolled down his cheek, she felt an intense hankering to reach him and apologize, for she indeed had crossed a limit this time. 

But despite that pain, her resentment against him who murdered her brother was still lingering in her bruised heart and so she stood firm on what she said, refusing to take her words back. 

His insides shook at the look she gave him - look that told him she didn't regret a bit of what she said and neither did she misspoke and unable to bear the anguish, he turned on his heels and sped away from the suffocating atmosphere. As he crossed the threshold of the house and ran outside, he missed the frantic shout of a gobsmacked Sheetal along with a thud sound of a body slumping on the floor. 

___________________

The car came to a screeching halt and Arnav glanced at the house through the window. His eyes were red and his breaths were heavy, denoting the stream of tears he shed while driving recklessly to this destination. 

Taking a deep breath, he opened the door of the car and started moving towards the entrance of the house. His hands shook, partly because of the biting cold air and partly because of the inner torment that gnawed at him, as he rang the bell then waited impatiently as he heard a female voice responding. 

The voice was followed by sounds of footsteps and he braced himself when the door creaked open. A pair of warm brown eyes met with his and the girl frowned at his abrupt visit.

"Arnav?" She called out, her forehead creased with lines. "Are you okay, what are you doing here at his hour? And why is your eyes so red? Is, is everything alright?"

He swallowed and nodded in his head in a slow 'yes' while entering inside.

"I just need to meet her." He hoarsed and started moving towards the room, when she stopped him.

"She's not there." She said, still unconvinced about him being fine. "I moved her upstairs because there was some cleaning going on. Come, I'll take you to her."

Nodding, Arnav followed her silently. The pain in his heart heavied as she opened the first door once they reached upstairs and moved out of the way so he could enter.

"I'll be downstairs if you need." The sighing girl next to him said and trudged away, not expecting an answer from him as he stood gaping at the figure that laid inside.

Lifting his heavy feet, Arnav made an effort to enter inside the room and closed the door behind him, before turning back to witness the sight that manages rob him off his everything every time he look at it.

His wife. His love. His everything - His Khushi.

She was laying on the bed, the fiery bright color of the bedsheet contrasting with her ashen skin as her whole body laid lifelessly on it. Drips and tiny plastic tubes were attached to her delicate skin, piercing into her body - A ventilator and several other machines settled around her and as he moved forward, the bandages on her pale face and hands caught his eyes.

He sniffled, dropping himself to sit on the recliner he had once set next to her bed and stared at her. His pained eyes yearned to see her innocent hazel eyes blink at him with mischief and love, his whole body shook with the need to feel her honey-like voice dissolve the bitterness of grief inside of him but alas. At this moment, he could hear nothing - except for her shallow breathing that simply showcased one thing - her soul was living inside her unmoved body.

_______________

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

111K 4.2K 12
Khushi rescues Arnav from Shyam's clutches. Arnav and Khushi returns safely to Raizada Mansion. Khushi confrontation with Shyam takes place, NK suppo...
218K 11.1K 27
A split second can change your life. Every second you live, every second you chose to live later and every second you wasted can all change your life...
20.7K 1.7K 10
They met at very wrong time but they end up together?
532K 14.1K 13
*Ranked #1 in redemption(11-8-18) #3 in recommended(26-5-18) #641 IN FANFICTION(21-3-17) Arnav calls Khushi the biggest mistake of his life and more...