Searching for Mr. Darcy

By RachelHamm

Maisie is unlucky in love. Not that she considers herself special, or anything - who hasn't been disappointed... More

Author Note
Scene One
Scene Two
Scene Three
Scene Four
Scene Five
Scene Six
Scene Seven
Scene Eight
Scene Nine
Scene Ten
Scene Eleven
Scene Twelve
Scene Thirteen
Scene Fourteen
Scene Fifteen
Scene Sixteen
Scene Seventeen
Scene Eighteen
Scene Nineteen
Scene Twenty
Scene Twenty-One
Scene Twenty-Two
Scene Twenty-Three
Scene Twenty-Four
Scene Twenty-Five
Scene Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Scene Twenty-Eight
Scene Twenty-Nine
Scene Thirty-One
Scene Thirty-Two
Scene Thirty-Three
Scene Thirty-Four
Scene Thirty-Five
Scene Thirty-Six
Scene Thirty-Seven
Scene Thirty-Eight
Scene Thirty-Nine
Scene Forty
Scene Forty-One
Scene Forty-Two
Scene Forty-Four
Scene Forty-Five
Scene Forty-Six
Scene Forty-Seven
Scene Forty-Eight
Scene Forty-Nine
Scene Fifty
Scene Fifty-One
Scene Fifty-Two
Scene Fifty-Three
Scene Fifty-Four
Scene Fifty-Five
Scene Fifty-Six
Scene Fifty-Seven
Scene Fifty-Eight
Scene Fifty-Nine
Scene Sixty
Scene Sixty-One
Scene Sixty-Two
Scene Sixty-Three
Scene Sixty-Four
Scene Sixty-Five
Scene Sixty-Six
Scene Sixty-Seven
Scene Sixty-Eight
Scene Sixty-Nine
Scene Seventy
Scene Seventy-One
Scene Seventy-Two
Scene Seventy-Three
Scene Seventy-Four
Scene Seventy-Five
Scene Seventy-Six
Scene Seventy-Seven
Scene Seventy-Eight
Scene Seventy-Nine
Scene Eighty
Scene Eight-One
Scene Eighty-Two
Scene Eighty-Three
Scene Eighty-Four
Scene Eighty-Five
Scene Eighty-Six
Scene Eighty-Seven
Scene Eighty-Eight
Scene Eighty-Nine
Scene Ninety
Scene Ninety-One
Scene Ninety-Two

Scene Forty-Three

1.7K 111 6
By RachelHamm

The hallway off the front door was filled with boxes. A very narrow sliver of carpet had been left bare as a walkway into the apartment. Maisie squeezed her way through, biting back an urgent need to remind her friend, that she (Maisie) wasn't as skinny as her (Talia).

The living room was filled with boxes and bags. Bags on the couch - on top of Talia's precious babies - boxes on the coffee table and all over the floor. Some stacked, some half-unpacked with contents strewn on the carpet in front of them.

The kitchen was filled with crates. I guess she did run out of boxes, Maisie thought. The crates were filled with bubbled-wrapped dishes and mugs and bake wear Talia had never used.

The apartment was filled with her stuff, but Talia was nowhere to be found.

Maisie went to her room to change and lay down, but found that it, too, was stuffed with her best friend's possessions. She signed and grabbed the closest item - a lamp - and picked her way through the chaos to the spare room. It, of course, was empty except for Talia's bed, dresser, and vanity.

"Naturally." Maisie set the lamp on the bed and went back to her room for more. Once she'd transferred everything and finally laid down, the front door swung open and a laughing Talia and George came in. Maisie stood to shut her door against the noise, but was too slow and her friends saw her before she could close it.

"You're back!" Talia said. She checked her watch. "We weren't expecting you yet. What happened with the mortgage lender?"

"Once he found out what I did for a living we ceased being on a date. I did learn a lot about new programs for first time home buyers, though." Maisie rolled her eyes.

"That sucks," George said. "I thought it would be good that you had something in common with him."

"What, work? I'm not super interested in dating anyone from the industry."

"Why not?"

Maisie shrugged. "It's like that expression 'don't shit where you eat.' It just doesn't seem like a good idea."

"Hey!" Talia exclaimed, poking her head into Maisie's room. "Where'd all my stuff go?"

"Your room," Maisie answered.

"No! I haven't figured out where everything is supposed to go yet. It'll be so much harder to organize with a room full of stuff."

"Imagine how difficult it is to take a nap with a room full of someone else's stuff," Maisie said.

Talia crossed her arms. "We weren't expecting you back yet. I would have had it all cleared out before you got back."

"But you didn't, because I was back and you weren't even here. It's fine - I just want to take a short nap and forget about the awful business meeting I hadn't planned having today, and then we can have dinner and play Settlers.  Where are Aubrey and Kent?"

"Kent threw his back out," George said, taking a step closer to Maisie.  She wondered if he was trying to play the mediator between her and Talia, who still looked upset that Maisie had interrupted her organizational system.  "And we-" he gestured to himself and Talia, "were coming back to start the unpacking process.  We'll do that, you take your nap, and we'll let you know when it's time for dinner."

"I can help," Maisie said.

"No, you should rest," Talia said, her voice slightly cold.  Maisie couldn't understand why her friend was being so dramatic.  After all, it was Maisie who'd come home to find her entire apartment had become the site of a disorganized estate sale.

"I want to help," Maisie reiterated.  "You've helped me so much these past couple of weeks.  Let me help you now."

Talia's stern face softened.  "Thank you.  That would be great."

George clapped his hands together in a 'let's go' motion.  "Perfect.  Where do we start?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 97 20
Lizzie Daniels is dreading Christmas at home because everyone around her is happily married or happily in love. Unlike them, she's never been in love...
96.2K 7.9K 32
Eros thought he knew everything about love. Being a Cupid and all. But that was before he met Penelope... For nearly a decade, he's tried-and failed...
165 37 28
Stacey is a girl who doesn't have a sense of direction on what she would do after graduating from university. When she met this new guy in the city...
1.8M 57.1K 51
Highest rankings: Chicklit: #1 (11th May 2020) Soccer: #1 (21st June 2020) High school: #6 (22nd August 2020) Crush: #27 (22nd August 2020) Follow my...