Searching for Mr. Darcy

By RachelHamm

Maisie is unlucky in love. Not that she considers herself special, or anything - who hasn't been disappointed... More

Author Note
Scene One
Scene Two
Scene Three
Scene Four
Scene Five
Scene Six
Scene Seven
Scene Eight
Scene Nine
Scene Ten
Scene Eleven
Scene Twelve
Scene Thirteen
Scene Fourteen
Scene Fifteen
Scene Sixteen
Scene Seventeen
Scene Eighteen
Scene Nineteen
Scene Twenty
Scene Twenty-One
Scene Twenty-Two
Scene Twenty-Three
Scene Twenty-Four
Scene Twenty-Five
Scene Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Scene Twenty-Eight
Scene Twenty-Nine
Scene Thirty-One
Scene Thirty-Two
Scene Thirty-Three
Scene Thirty-Four
Scene Thirty-Five
Scene Thirty-Six
Scene Thirty-Seven
Scene Thirty-Eight
Scene Thirty-Nine
Scene Forty
Scene Forty-One
Scene Forty-Three
Scene Forty-Four
Scene Forty-Five
Scene Forty-Six
Scene Forty-Seven
Scene Forty-Eight
Scene Forty-Nine
Scene Fifty
Scene Fifty-One
Scene Fifty-Two
Scene Fifty-Three
Scene Fifty-Four
Scene Fifty-Five
Scene Fifty-Six
Scene Fifty-Seven
Scene Fifty-Eight
Scene Fifty-Nine
Scene Sixty
Scene Sixty-One
Scene Sixty-Two
Scene Sixty-Three
Scene Sixty-Four
Scene Sixty-Five
Scene Sixty-Six
Scene Sixty-Seven
Scene Sixty-Eight
Scene Sixty-Nine
Scene Seventy
Scene Seventy-One
Scene Seventy-Two
Scene Seventy-Three
Scene Seventy-Four
Scene Seventy-Five
Scene Seventy-Six
Scene Seventy-Seven
Scene Seventy-Eight
Scene Seventy-Nine
Scene Eighty
Scene Eight-One
Scene Eighty-Two
Scene Eighty-Three
Scene Eighty-Four
Scene Eighty-Five
Scene Eighty-Six
Scene Eighty-Seven
Scene Eighty-Eight
Scene Eighty-Nine
Scene Ninety
Scene Ninety-One
Scene Ninety-Two

Scene Forty-Two

1.7K 109 2
By RachelHamm

The mortgage lender, also known as Malachi, waited for Maisie outside the restaurant. He was cute, in a generic kind of way. He hold out a hand to shake as she approached, and his three-piece suit looked like it belonged more in a boardroom than the Tupelo Honey Cafe. Maisie's jeans and nice t-shirt seemed excessively casual by comparison.

"Hi!" Maisie greeted him, a little too enthusiastically, overcompensating for her nervousness.

"Nice to meet you finally." He held the door open for her and gave his name to the hostess, who immediately showed them to a table.

"Looks like you found the only brunch place in Raleigh that takes reservations." Maisie accepted the chair Malachi pulled out for her. "Thank you."

"You're welcome."

Once they'd placed their order for two bloody marys ("Aren't you so glad they passed the brunch bill?" Maisie asked), Malachi got right down to business.

"What do you do for a living?" he asked.

"New Home Sales," she said. His entire face lit up and his posture changed so quickly an observer might have thought a wizard used a growth spell on him.

"Oh really?" He reached into his breast pocked and pulled out a stack of business cards. "You need to hear about the new loan programs we have available right now."

Maisie automatically took the cards offered, but had no intention of using them at work. "I already parter with some great lenders."

"They can't get you the same kind of deals I can. Let me ask you - do you own your home?"

"You know what? Let's leave the shop talk out of this. We're on a date. I just want to get to know you."

"Of course. What company do you work for?"

Maisie hesitated. She couldn't tell from his tone if he was continuing the getting-to-know-you conversation, or the let-me-sell-you-a-mortgage-loan conversation. "H&L Homes."

"Oh! You definitely need to hear about these new programs, then."

For the next hour, through two bloody marys, an appetizer he ordered without asking for her input, and the entrees, Malachi gave Maisie his best sales pitch. She had to promise to bring him at least one client meeting in order to get him to change the subject while they were waiting for the check to arrive.

"How do you want to split this?" he asked when the waiter laid it on the table. "Oh, wait! I'll use my company card. We talked about business - it counts." He actually winked as he pulled the card from his wallet and handed it to the server.

"We sure did," Maisie said flatly. "Well, now that that's covered, I think I'll head out. My friend is moving today and I promised I'd help. Thanks for brunch." She stood so fast it was as if the wizard from earlier had summoned her. Between Bastian and Caleb, she had learned that a good date was possible. That chemistry existed. She wasn't going to waste any more time on anything else.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

750K 42.4K 47
After a car accident leaves Riley Perez in a coma, she wakes up in the hospital a year later. With the absence of the memories of her loved ones, she...
1K 56 12
Curves were just one of Iris' problems. The other? Her baby that she could barely care for. Working for long hours at the coffee shop was just enoug...
523K 27.4K 40
❝Darling, you're a fool to think he feels the same way. ❞ ❆ In which a girl is dared to date a random guy for a month. And then dum...
2.9K 267 27
After a devastating breakup, Jane started her Junior year by completely detaching herself from romantic relationships. She had finally hit the point...