The Last Princess

By kakpie291203

amazing cover by @ellebonnett #1 Fantasy 1/20/2018 *warning* completely unedited, so proceed with caution EDI... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Epilogue
Author's Note
The General's Wife
Bonus Chapter : Panic

Chapter 28

74.5K 3.7K 209
By kakpie291203

"Try again!" Birch urged.

"This isn't working." I groaned.

"Do it again." I sighed and closed my eyes. I tried to feel the Forest around, tried to heighten my senses and hear every rustle, every whisper of the grass or leaves. I pulled to make one little leaf fall into my open palm. Nothing. I strained my head and kept trying.

After another five minutes, I opened my eyes. "This isn't working." "Maybe..." Birch trailed off. "I've told you, I'm powerless! I can't do this."

It felt awful. I'd been given hope, that maybe I wasn't as helpless as I'd always thought. But no. That had been crushed too. I really was powerless.

"What about the headaches?" Birch persisted. "Maybe it was a coincidence. Because this clearly isn't working."

"It's okay, we all take time to learn. It took me a really long time." Arden soothed. "Not me." Aiden muttered under his breath.

The three of us ignored him. He'd moved from unreadable grunts to sarcastic little comments none of us wanted to hear.

"Maybe you're right," I sighed, "Maybe I can't learn in one day."

Hours later, we were fed up. And by we I meant Aiden and I, though I didn't show it as much as him (he had stalked inside an hour ago, muttering furiously under his breath all the while). The other two were more optimistic. So it was happily we  went for lunch at Grove's beckoning, eager for a distraction.

We ate vegetable chowder in silence, only broken by Meadow's occasional chattering.

I was only drowned in my own thoughts. Was I going to be helpless and dependent on other people like this for the rest of my life? And weak and powerless and helpless and hopeless and pretty much a waste of space? I was the most undeserving of my sisters to live, and help defeat my mother. Any of the others would be an asset, not a burden. Unlike me.

After lunch, more hours were wasted, and finally Birch and Arden gave up (Aiden having no part in it at all), both insisting that the day hadn't been entirely a waste and that we would try again tomorrow.

I went to bed early.

Hearing the sounds of everyone going to bed didn't help me in trying to fall asleep. Soon the house was silent.

But I was awake.

How useless my birthday  had been. It was like a new life. Without a good start.

Happy birthday to me.

As I was wallowing in these depressing thoughts, I heard a creak outside. I jolted up straight, ignoring my heart pounding.

The door creaked open quietly, cautiously, like whoever was opening it didn't want to be heard.

It opened, and I saw who it was.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.2K 1.2K 145
This is the sequel to the Locatlie series. To be able to understand this story, you will have to read the seven books of the Locatlie series first. T...
436K 28.6K 39
Highest rating: #19 in fantasy! Edlyn has never fit in. With her unusual white hair and silver eyes, she sticks out from her village of brown. To mak...
308K 20.3K 41
DAILY UPDATES amazing cover by @ellebonnett Edited version of the #1 Fantasy 'The Last Princess' ****************************************************...
182K 11.5K 36
Alera lost her mother early in life and was raised by a strict king for a father and the many nursemaids who crossed themselves before touching her...