Second Chance

By The_Black_Butterfly

Meet Ciara Johnson, your average teenager who- *flips table* Let's start again, ever since high school, Ciara... More

One: An Unexpected Customer
Three: I'm Not Jealous!
Four: Reasons for Returning
Five: An Official Date
Six: Girls Do Eat a Lot
Seven: A Girls Day Out
Eight: A Lovely First Encounter
Nine: Mona, the Notorious Gossiper
Ten: A Request
Eleven: A Chance
Twelve: Sleep Over
Thirteen: Realization
Fourteen: The Confession
Fifteen: Want to go Home
Sixteen: A Phone Call
Seventeen: An Unfortunate Twist
Eighteen: Taylor's Resolve
Epilogue: I'll Always be There for You

Two: The God of Pick-up Lines

3.1K 58 5
By The_Black_Butterfly

Two: The God of Pick-up Lines

Ciara turned the tap off. Rivulets of water droplets rolled down her figure, and the warm steam caressed her body softly in its embrace. She slid open the glass door and reached for her towel, drying herself. She threw on her pajamas and exited the bathroom.

Ciara flopped onto her king-sized bed, taking in her room. Her parents were one of the richest people in the entire town, the reason for her three-floored mansion. Her own room was way too big for her comfort, and she didn’t need half of the clothes she owned. Not for the first time, she wondered how many starving children she could save just by renting out all the unused rooms in the third floor.

She shook her head to clear her thoughts. Summer had just begun, and she was already bored out of her mind. Her cell phone flashed out of the corner of her eyes, and her hand shot out to her bedside table. She gritted her teeth, the tip of her index finger millimeters away from her phone. She crawled upwards and snatched the phone in her hands. She flipped it open to see a new message from an unknown number.

Hey, I’m Jared. :D This is my number. Are you free this Saturday? Wanna meet up?

A small smile formed on her face. That was fast. Her Grammar Nazi sense awoke, mentally appraising him for not typing like an illiterate. She quickly texted him back.

You mean tomorrow? Sure, I am free.

Seconds later, her phone beeped. Ciara couldn’t stop the smile from spreading across her face.

By the way, are you seeing anyone? I don’t want your boyfriend – if you have one – to misunderstand.

Nah, I’m not seeing anyone. Yet.

You’re not? What a waste. You’re way too pretty not to have a boyfriend.

Ciara’s fingers paused on her phone’s keypad. He should know she was never the prettiest girl in school. Actually, that was an understatement. Her beauty never stood out in a crowd for the only word that could describe her physical features was plain. That was it. She was simply average in looks.

You there? How about let’s go watch a movie. I still haven’t gotten a chance to watch Avengers. There’s also a pretty awesome Italian restaurant nearby. :P

Ciara shook her head and buried her thoughts behind. This was Jared, the person who would never judge someone based on their looks. She should have known better.

Me too! I had work when my friends went to watch it. Yes, they watched it without me. D: D:

Awww, tomorrow it is. I’m picking you up at 2. Send me the directions to your house.

Ciara chuckled, mentally imagining Jared saying ‘aw’. She typed in her direction and stood up. Flicking off the lights, she snuggled into her bed. Her phone’s screen flashed, and she quickly reached for her phone before it could beep.

Hey, hey, wanna hear some pick-up lines? I’m the God of Pick-up lines!

Ciara rolled her eyes but couldn’t stop the grin from widening further.

Go ahead.

If I could rearrange the alphabets, I’d put U and I together.

That’s…let’s just say that’s older than the universe.

I have another one! Are you an alien? ‘Cause I think you just abducted my heart!

Aliens. You mean those green extraterrestrial beings with antennas and funny eyes?

Fear not for I have more! If you were a booger, I’d pick you first!

Even though that might sound disturbing, she struggled to contain her laughter. It came out as a snort through her nose. Glancing up at the glow-in-the-dark clock by her bed, she knew she’d stay up late tonight.

“Honey!”

Ciara pulled the cover higher, covering her ears and eyes. She could hear birds twittering in the background, but she was too tired. Plus, after roaming her mind for a few minutes, she remembered today was Saturday.

“Honey! It’s ten! Get your lovely bum up!”

Why was it so noisy? If she could have super powers – admit it, every single human being had dreamt about having super powers – she would choose to have the power to tune out any noises at any time she wished.

Ciara rolled over and moaned. Just a few more minutes, she wished. It’s still early.

“Honey!”

Ciara heard loud footsteps approaching, and if possible, she pulled her blanket even tighter. She snuggled closer and willed her mind to resume her much needed -

“CIARA HARLY JOHNSON!”

Ciara bolted upright. She let out a small whimper at the deafening yell, and she came face to face with a stunning woman in her mid-forties. Her curly and wild blond hair enhanced her anger, but as soon as the woman saw her awake, all traces of anger vanished from her face. Her eyes twinkled warmly, and she enveloping her in a tight hug.

“Oh, Darling, I didn’t want to wake you up, but I just had to say hi to you.”

“Mom, you didn’t want to wake me up,” Ciara repeated tightly, struggling to breathe as her mother refused to loosen her hold. The woman was either oblivious to Ciara’s sarcasm or chose to ignore it completely. Knowing her better than anyone else in the entire town, Ciara surmised it was the latter. “Mom, I can’t breathe.”

The woman immediately let go and patted her on the back. Hard. Several times. Ciara glowered at the other blonde from beneath her eyelashes. Sometimes, her mom acted more like a teenager than Ciara herself. Her mom laughed and winked at her.

“Get up, Darling. It’s a beautiful Saturday -”

“Saturday!”

Memories of last night came rushing back to her. A goofy grin appeared on her face, and she swung her legs to the side, almost losing her balance. The older woman’s eyes narrowed suspiciously as she watched her rush to the bathroom.

“Whoa, you’re so eager now. Do you have a date or something?”

“Yup.”

Unlike some parents, her mom had no problem with her dating anyone. For the first time since entering her bedroom, the woman looked at her daughter with concern. Ciara rolled her eyes at her mother’s uncharacteristic look.

“Don’t worry. He’s nice,” she mumbled out as she brushed her teeth.

She raised an eyebrow skeptically and uncrossed her arms. She walked to the door, the concern fading away. “Is he picking you up?”

“Yeah.”

“What’s his name?”

“Jared.”

“Oh well, I guess I’ll judge him myself when he comes here.”

“Mom!” Ciara yelled, poking her head out from the bathroom door frame. Her eyes were wide, and her mouth gaped open. Horror was etched into every feature of her face.

“Don’t worry, Darling.”

“Mom!”

The only reply was a loud guffaw as Ciara’s mom exited the room. Ciara could imagine her mom’s smug look perfectly in her mind. As if aggravating the situation, images of a few possibilities of the two meeting flashed through her mind. Her stomach churned nervously. She desperately wished she could forward time and avoid this – extremely possible – mortifying meeting.

Ciara hummed softly to herself, curling a strand of her golden locks around her index. Ever since half an hour ago, her stomach’s been doing moves that would make a profession gymnast hung her head in shame. She paced around the room, her feet tapping the wooden tiles metrically.

Her heart skipped a beat as the familiar ring of the doorbell reverberated through the walls of the mansion. Profanities streamed through her head, and for a second, she wondered if she should fake sick. No, this was her only chance. Plus, she’d already chickened out once, and she regretted it dearly. She wouldn’t do it again.

Checking her hair one last time, she hurried down the stairs. Ciara almost lost her footing seeing her mom walking towards the door.

“Mom! I’ll get -”

“Welcome! You must be Jared, right?” She beamed happily, and Jared smiled warmly back.

“Yes, Mrs. Johnson.”

“Ciara will be down soon. Where do you plan to take her?”

Although she kept her tone light and casual, her eyes held a certain menacing look. Because Ciara’s father had died when she just a mere child, her mom was the only one bringing her up. It was a difficult task, especially when her mom worked for a large company. Ciara smiled slightly to herself and descended down the stairs.

“A movie and dinner, Mrs. Johnson. Don’t worry,” he said, winking at her. “I’ll make sure she’s safe, and I’ll bring her back before ten.”

“Good, good,” the blonde said, clapping him on his arm because she wasn’t tall enough. She glanced back and nodded subtly to Ciara. Ciara let out a relieved breath, feeling some of her nervousness vanish.

“Hey, Jared,” she said, feeling her stomach doing a flip flop. Her knees felt weak and jelly-like as she approached the two standing by the door.

“Have fun, Ciara,” her mom said, smirking knowingly.

Ciara resisted the urge to roll her eyes. “Bye, Mom.”

“Bye!”

Ciara tugged Jared, and together, they made their way to his car. Like a gentleman, Jared opened the door for her. Ciara swiftly climbed in, and Jared went around the car.

“Nice dress,” he said. His tone was playful and light. “That dress would look even better accelerating towards my bedroom floor at 9.8 m/s2”

“Why, thank you, God of Pick-up Lines,” she said, biting her lips to stop herself from laughing out loud at the choice of pick-up line.

“I know right! I’m a pro at pick-up lines.”

Ciara laughed. It was a strange experience, laughing so whole-heartedly and having your stomach filled with giant birds flittering around. The two joked around some more before a large blue building came in sight. The car skidded to a stop, and Jared motioned for her to stay in the car. Ciara watched him open her door with amusement written clearly in her eyes. Being at the age of twenty-one, she’d gone out with plenty of guys. She can proudly say that none of them had ever had any effects close to what Jared had on her. She shook her head. It was probably because they’d been in the same high school, not to mention she’d had a huge crush on him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4K 53 30
Ciara Welsh is your average teenager but with one exception she lives on her own, her parents got divorced so they split up and she's on her own but...
18K 1.7K 24
"You had no right to do that," I snap, trying my best to out walk him. His chuckle was loud behind me and his hand griped on my forearm, stopping me...
51.1K 1.5K 41
Taylor grew up without knowing her mother ever since her mother died after giving birth to her. Taylor had to live with her father and two older brot...
15.7K 870 34
She's lost everything because of one night. One mistake she made, that she'll regret forever. Now she's lost everything, her job as a model, her mone...