Reflections Beginning (Book 2...

By SandraCorton

Charlie is a girl who lives in two worlds. Her teenage years have been full of demands on her time so she can... More

Chapter 1 Holidays in another World
Chapter 2 - A stranger in the mirror
Chapter 3 - A plan is hatched
Chapter 4 - In need of rescue: one prince and one would be hero
Chapter 5 - One too many surprises
Chapter 6 - The problem with twins and an incredibly old lady
Chapter 7 - Conversations with myself
Chapter 8 - Fairies and Flying Horses
Chapter 9 - Home truths to swallow
Chapter 10 - Frightful dreams and petty jealousy
Chapter 11 - City Dramas
Chapter 12 - Dinner, Dancing and Life Bond Truths
Chapter 13 - Hot kisses and farewells
Chapter 14 - School shocks and dramas
Chapter 16 - Wait there are two?
Chapter 17 - Nothing but strange news
Chapter 18 - Mysteries and Madness

Chapter 15 - Some BFF time

4.9K 141 4
By SandraCorton

Chapter 15 – Some BFF time ©

Izzie’s look of hurt bit at me deeply, I guess it was because I had always told her of everything that went on in my life until now. The problem was I had always left out so much as well. I grimaced but prepared to answer.

“Izz I didn’t know he’d be here, honest.” I told her truthfully.

“But you didn’t feel you should tell me about him? When did you intend to tell me?” She said it very quietly and I felt my heart lurch. The one thing Izzie was not was quite.

“When I got up the guts to I guess.” I shrugged.

“It’s actually my fault Isobel. I never informed her that I was arriving today; I wanted it to be a surprise. I have never been to a school like yours before so I became a tad confused about things.” Caden explained and Izzie looked at him seriously, and then glanced at me.

“He’s telling the truth isn’t he?” She asked me and I nodded.

“He’s been home schooled.” I said quietly and Izzie grinned as she hugged me. I sighed with relief as I hugged her back.

“Alright I forgive you then.” She told me as the bell rang. We started moving but I noticed that Dwayne had been silent through our whole exchange. I looked at him but he refused to look me in the eye. Geez another thing for me to worry about.

We made it to our last class and I was finally breathing a sigh of relief that we had made it through. Caden sat next to me so when I heard his sharp intake of breath I glanced over to him to see a shocked expression on his face. My eyes followed where he was looking only to see Mr Campbell staring back at Caden in just as much shock.

“Alright what the hell is wrong?” I asked him in my mind.

That’s….that….I do not think I should tell you Charlotte.” He replied and I raised my eyebrows at him.

The class started but I noticed that Mr Campbell was definitely off his game. At least until he caught Caden’s eye and something passed between them. I was almost jumping around in my chair with the curiosity attempting to overwhelm me.

“Charlotte stop you are distracting me.” Caden told me and I just grumbled at him.

I stared out the window for the rest of the class and was surprised when Mr Campbell called out my name and Caden’s to see him after class. I was as curious as I was a tad worried but I waited until everyone left. I waved off Izzie’s hesitant pause to tell her to go ahead.

“Ambassador, Your Highness.” Were Mr Campbell’s first words and I almost collapsed onto the floor in amazement.

“Okay who are you exactly? I thought you were just my teacher.” I finally managed to say while he just smiled at me.

“I am one of your protectors Ambassador. I am here as always to make sure you are safe and looked after.” He explained in a far different voice than I was used to.

“Okay then I’ll come back to that. How do you two know each other then?” I pointed between them and Caden chuckled.

“He is a Master Warrior. I learnt all of my skills from him.” Caden turned to face Mr Campbell and bowed politely “Might I add Sir that I have finally found someone who could best me.” It was now Mr Campbell’s turn to look shocked.

“May I ask who?” He asked with keen interest and Caden grinned broadly.

“You are looking at her Sir.” Caden said excitedly and Mr Campbell turned to me, his eyes alight with a fervour that was just a tad intimidating.

“Could we really have another Master in our midst?” He asked eagerly “I must test you immediately.”

“Uh no I have to go and see Ben for a lesson.” I tried to evade him as I picked up my bag.

“Wait! The Ambassador does not know about this?” He asked in amazement.

“Uh no I didn’t tell him.” I muttered while Caden murmured “I forgot.”

“Right you two stay here and wait for my return.” Mr Campbell said determinedly and disappeared.

I turned a glare to Caden who just looked back at me innocently. The last thing I needed right now was more attention focused on me. When Mr Campbell and Ben arrived back they were both looking overly excited if you ask me.

I groaned this was not going to be a fun afternoon. Mr Campbell hustled us all down to the hall where he brought out all the fencing equipment that the school thought was a good idea - yeah right. Unluckily for me that shortly after that he decided to be my opponent.

So I got to spend the next while trying to thwart my teacher who was also apparently my protector. Sweat broke out on his forehead even while he grinned broadly. But just like when I fought Caden, I saw my opportunity and I took it. Within seconds he was unarmed with my sword point at his jugular.

“Well done Charlie.” Ben shouted to me while Caden cheered.

“I warned you Sir.” Caden told Mr Campbell whose grin took up his whole face.

We all stood stock still when the door to the hall was opened and when Izzie walked through, there was nobody more surprised than me. The determined angry look on her face did not bode well for me as she marched over.

“Who are you?” Were the only words she asked me as she poked me in the arm.

I quickly dropped the sword, upset that I would have to go through this again. I could only hope that this time she would forgive me as well. With my heart in my throat I stepped cautiously towards her but she moved away, making me want to cry.

“Just let me explain Izzie.” I said as calmly as I could.

“Explain what exactly? The fact you just beat a man with a sword, the fact that man is our teacher or the fact that he called you Ambassador and Caden a prince!” She yelled at me and I winced.

“Will you calm down and I swear I’ll tell you the truth.” I promised.

So we all sat for God only knows how long and I told her about Argonia and everything else. She listened, she forgave me and then I dropped the bombshell of having to change this afternoon by going into the past. As usual she freaked just a little but eventually agreed.

I came back after making sure she left the school before Mr Campbell outed us and as usual I felt so sad that Izzie still didn’t know me. Caden hugged me which was soothing but I still felt bad for Izzie as I did every time she got suspicious of me.

I felt my eyes fill with tears at all the deceptions I kept. Izzie was my true and honest friend. My problem was that I did nothing but lie to her every day of my existence. It broke my heart sometimes that she was my most trusted friend but I could never trust her with the truth of who I was.

“It will be alright Charlotte?” Caden whispered reassuringly.

“How do you know? I have to lie to her so very often about myself. She will never know that I am Ambassador to Argonia; she will never know that I can travel back in time or have any magic whatsoever. She’s right, who am I to her? Really who am I?” I struggled out of his arms and marched away.

“Charlie stop this nonsense! She is just a human girl.” Ben said in a straight forward manner which just made my anger snap to life.

“She may be nobody important to you but to me she is one of the only people in this world that knows me and cares if something happens to me.” I shouted as sparks flew into the air.

“Ambassador I know how much Isobel means to you but I have to agree, you will outlive her by many hundreds of years-“Mr Campbell stated.

“Don’t-" I interrupted “Don’t you dare bring lifespan into this! Do you think I don’t know that? It doesn’t matter to me! It makes me appreciate her all the more because I will have to live so much of my life without her.” I finished sadly as the tears began to fall “I’m going home and I’m not having a lesson with you today.” I pointed to Ben as I staggered out of the room.

I heard footsteps behind me and I turned with a growl to see Caden. He stopped and held his arms open; I ran to him, throwing myself at him dramatically. He caught me as I cried into his shirt while he picked me up and cuddled me close.

“Where do you want to go Charlotte?” He asked quietly as he brushed my hair back off my face.

“I just want to go home.” I said through my sobs.

“That is just fine but you will have to tell me how to get there.” He said as he kissed me softly on the forehead.

“You can’t carry me all the way home.” I told him croakily while he just smiled at me.

“I think you have forgotten that I have powers you have no idea about. I am strong enough to carry you as far as necessary.” He told me seriously and I couldn’t help but crack a smile.

“So it’s Warrior, Strength and Disguise then?” I asked curiously as I dried my tears on my sleeve.

“Correct. Apparently the other two balance with the Warrior.” He explained and I sighed as I snuggled into his warmth.

He walked all the way home, never tiring but I was glad that darkness was descending so we weren’t so obvious. We stayed quiet, each of us mulling things over. When I finally pointed to my house he walked over and let me down at the doorway.

“I shall see you tomorrow.” He promised me quietly and I smiled timidly at him.

“Okay you look like you need to go home anyway. You shouldn’t have carried me all that way when we could have zapped here.” I chided him

I noticed how sickly he was looking and felt instantly worried. The twinge of blue around his lips meant he was almost up to the last stage. Just before the shaking started that meant get back to Argonia or prepare for death.

“To have you in my arms for all that time was worth it my Charlotte. Will you be well?” He asked quietly.

“Yeah don’t worry. You go home and I’ll see you tomorrow. Just don’t disappear- Damn!” I muttered as he gave me a chaste kiss on the lips and was then gone.

I glanced around the neighbourhood praying that no one saw such a strange occurrence. Which of course was when I noticed something odd, Izzie stood at her window looking down at me. None of her usual vivaciousness surrounded her and I realised she may have seen Caden disappear.

"Can you come over and talk to me?" She called out to me and I nodded at her.

"I'll just go check in with Mum and Dad first okay." I told her.

I walked into my house feeling a nervous energy about how Izzie was acting. I was worried in fact, incredibly worried. I found Dad in his office and explained that I needed to talk to Izzie. He of course asked about the whole Caden deal but I fobbed him off.

I also briefly told him about what had happened this afternoon. He looked surprised but proud when I told him I beat Mr Campbell. Mum, dammit Mags was nowhere to be found which was kind of disappointing.

I went over to Izzie's soon after with my heart pounding as I wondered what was wrong. She answered the door with no outward emotion and I felt even more concerned. She led me up to her room and I sat down on her bed nervously waiting for her to say something, anything to still my frantically pounding heart.

"I went back to look for you at school late this afternoon and I heard you say some strange things Charlie. Do you really lie to me every day about who you are?" She asked me, her voice completely emotionless while I gaped at her. Obviously she had heard my conversation with Ben, Mr Campbell and Caden, but all I could wonder was how she got home so fast.

"Yes I do." I finally answered my voice stricken.

"So you can do magic, your some sort of important person who used a sword against our teacher and apparently you’re going to outlive me." She labelled everything I had said or done, her voice disbelieving and I frantically wondered what I should tell her.

"Will you believe me if I show you?" I asked quietly and she glanced quickly at me. "I can make fire with my bare hands." I showed her by creating a flaming fireball in my hand

Her eyes widened at me "I thought you were making up some kind of story but its true isn't it?" She asked as her eyes watched the movement of the fireball in my palm with fascination.

"It’s all true and I'm so tired of lying to you about my life Izz, so very tired of it. So if you can keep the biggest secret of your life then I'll tell you everything." I told her and I meant it.

"You've told me before though haven't you?" She asked and I looked at her in amazement as I nodded "I thought so there was something so familiar about what you said." She murmured.

"Izz I've told you the truth at least ten times over the years but I've always had to go back in time and change it so you never remember." She gaped at me and an intense anger came into her eyes "But I'm not going to this time as long as you don't talk to anyone but me about it okay." I promised and she nodded again.

She walked over to her dresser silently and got something out of her jewellery box. I watched her curiously and then understood when she brought back a chain with an ancient Argonian symbol on it that I gave her for her last birthday.

"This is a part of where you come from isn't it?" She asked and I agreed "What does it mean?"

I looked at her and wondered whether to be truthful. I mean she might run screaming away or never want to talk to me again. I fiddled with the edge of the bedding and she sent me a glare. She really did know me too well.

"Fine I'll tell you the truth but don't freak out okay." I raised my hands to her.

"You can't say that and not expect me to freak out." She told me looking intimidated and fearful.

"Pass it here Izz and I'll tell you." She hesitantly handed me the necklace which flashed brightly in my hand causing her to back away "I gave this to you for your protection. My magic can sometimes be a bit unpredictable and I never wanted to harm you. I really do wish you'd wear it when you’re around me." I explained which only seemed to make her more nervous.

I then realised she was staring at the fireball in my other hand. I quickly snapped my fingers and it disappeared but she was still edgy. When I handed the necklace back I finally realised that she was barely holding herself together.

"And Caden he just disappeared, I saw it." She stated her voice reaching hysterics.

"Izzie please I'll show you what he did. Tell me a place you want to go that we have been to before." I explained as calmly as I could while she just gibbered "Alright lets go to the zoo. Remember the hippos you loved so much?" She nodded "Then I'll take you there."

I reached out a hand to her and she shakily placed hers in mine. I pictured the hippo enclosure down to its finest detail and zapped us there. She stared open mouthed and wide eyed around at the darkened enclosure. I let her get her bearings before I did anything else.

"That was so cool." She finally said in an excited voice and I breathed a sigh of relief as I zapped us back to her bedroom.

"All Caden did was zap back to the Gate and go home. He had to because he was starting to get sick from being on Earth too long." I said quietly "That’s why he stands out like a bit of a sore thumb. He's not from this world."

"But then neither are you." Izzie stated and I grinned at her perception.

"Technically I am from both worlds." I raised my finger at her as she looked anxious to respond "I was conceived there but then I was born here which is how I can be next Ambassador. I can live in either world."

"Wow you do know how bizarre you sound right now?” She asked but I just grinned more, at least she was finally being Izzie.

"Yep now let me tell you the whole story."

In between Izzie's Mum bringing us dinner and calling my Dad to say I was staying at Izzie's for the night, I finally told her my story. She listened intently only occasionally interrupting with a question. I was exhausted by the time I was finished, I mean I had done this explanation twice today. Unfortunately I had one more thing to do before I could rest.

"Izz I need that necklace." I said and she handed it to me wordlessly "You know that I trust you right?" She nodded "But I have to put a kind of spell on this for both our protection." I explained.

I muttered the spell and felt the air charge around me before it slipped into the necklace. I handed it back to her but she took it rather hesitantly.

"It won't hurt me will it?" She asked anxiously and I rolled my eyes.

"Izzie I gave it to you so it would protect you. Why would I ever hurt you? It will just prevent you from talking about Argonia so that nobody finds out that I told you. If they do find out they will use a memory erasure spell or make me come back to this moment and tell you a pack of lies. So if you want to keep this knowledge then you will wear this necklace and never take it off okay." I explained thoroughly.

She quickly put the necklace around her neck and did up the catch. I beamed at her, so very happy with her choice. I've hated not telling her the truth for so long now.

"I would rather know everything about you no matter how crazy. So tell me where Caden fits into this. I noticed he was rather absent from your story." She asked curiously as she snuggled down in bed and I blushed.

"You girls know it’s a school night. You have another hour until I want everything quiet in there." Izzie's Mum yelled out.

"Yes Mum.” Izzie shouted back before turning to me with a raised eyebrow and a cheeky grin "That’s long enough for me to find out about Caden."

"Alright already! I met him in the holidays, we had a rather crazy adventure and now he’s coming here every day to prove to my Dad that we are right together." I quickly told her.

"So have you two gone all the way?" She giggled and I blushed deeper.

"Of course not." I said emphatically

“He seems pretty protective of you. I saw the look he gave Dwayne and it was pretty feral.” Izzie said and I winced, she always noticed everything!

“Yeah sorry about that.” I muttered.

“Why be sorry? I kinda wished Dwayne would look at other guys like that for me, it was hot.” She winked at me and I just put my head in my hands.

“Can I just sleep now? I think I’ve had enough embarrassment for one day.” I moaned.

“Fine just answer one question.” I looked over at her “Why does he look so familiar to me?” She asked and I just rolled my eyes. Ugh God I was going to have to tell her the truth about him as well.

“Do you remember the day I left for holidays?” I asked and she nodded “Remember the magazine you forced me –" Her squeal interrupted me.

“He’s the guy from the front page.” She screamed in sudden recognition and I was forced to agree however reluctantly “I read that article, that guy was a prince that had been missing for ages.”

She started bouncing on her bed and I forced myself to nod again. She stopped abruptly her mouth dropping open in shock at me. I would’ve laughed but I felt a bit uneasy about telling her the rest.

“Well I’m the one that found him.” I whispered and all she could do was stare at me.

“Wow that’s kinda crazy.” She finally stuttered.

“You have no idea.” I said with a rueful grin “Now can I sleep?” I asked and she nodded but looked at me like she had a zillion other questions. But I determinedly closed my eyes which made her laugh as she turned off the lamp.

The screams echoed around shattering the peaceful silence. Izzie sat up in bed her eyes wide with panic as she watched me. My heart hammered with trepidation while it ached with longing. I sat shaking, my head in my hands, my throat raw but still the screaming continued.

It took me a minute to realize that it was actually throbbing through my head. I felt Izzie hug me close but I was having extreme difficulty snapping myself from Caden’s mind.

“Are you okay Charlie?” She asked me almost fearfully.

“Yeah I'm okay but I’ve got to talk to Caden for a minute and help him settle down okay?” I told her and she just sent me a puzzled look “Caden Shhh, it’s alright I’m fine. You need to calm down. Everything is perfectly alright.” I tried to say as soothingly as I could, still surprised that our mind talk spell was working between the worlds.

“Charlotte?” His whispered word was so heart felt but worried and scared.

“I’m staying at Izzie’s tonight and we just scared the crap out of her. It seems to be far worse the further apart we are.” I told him with a sigh.

“Are you well?” He finally asked.

“Yeah I’m fine, just a bit shaken up. I could hear you screaming in my mind. I think I might have to get rid of this spell.” I muttered

“No!” He almost shouted back at me “I like that we have a connection especially when we are so very far apart.” Awwww he was just too cute for words sometimes!

“Okay but I have to go and make sure that Izzie’s alright. I’ll see you in a few hours.” I told him and he agreed, so I switched back to a rather terrified looking Izzie who was shaking me like crazy “Izz stop it!” I yelled at her.

“You just scared the beejeebus out of me! It was like your mind just disappeared.” She told me her voice shaking “Wait is that what you were doing this morning when you weren’t listening to me?”

“Yep Caden was acting weird so I had to tell him what to do.” I muttered.

“Are you girls alright in there?” Izzie’s Dad asked as he knocked lightly on the door.

“I had a nightmare, sorry if I woke you up but we are just fine.” I told him and then heard him walk away.

“Does that happen much?” She asked in a whisper as we snuggled back down.

“Yeah, ever since I met Caden, I’m sorry I didn’t warn you. That’s the first one I’ve had since I left the palace.” I explained.

“Are you kidding me? Now there’s a palace?” She asked with a tiny screech.

“He is a prince Izz, where else would he live.” I replied sarcastically and her eyes just widened.

“You live such an awesome life. I wish I lived on Argonia.” She grumbled enviously and I looked over at her in the shadows.

“Well I’m bloody glad you live here otherwise I would have no BFF.” I told her firmly.

She looked at me and smiled which I returned and I knew that we would be alright. I was glad that she finally knew the truth, that she knew the real me and was so very accepting of it, which I appreciated far more than she would ever know.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.5K 239 30
Isabella is leaving to move to her father in Forks, where she is learning about Vampires. Isabella has one sister who she deeply misses. Her sister...
729 50 25
'There's something beyond the mirrors...' She should probably be choosing her majors for college, considering a career, and the direction for the res...
137 8 10
Things become strange when Viralla and her mother are both suddenly sucked into a new magical land from a portal in the bathroom mirror. Sphere City...
155 58 58
In his dreams, seventeen-year-old Charlie lives in another world where he can escape the depression that consumes him. Most days, it is the only thin...