Shingeki no Jiyu

By Its_Beaumont

Before the fall of Shinganshina and Wall Maria. To advance against the Titans, humanity's strongest began a p... More

A/N
CHARACTER PROFILE
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII

XIII

104 3 1
By Its_Beaumont

      On their return, the group was greeted by the procession of new trainees. It dawned on Adria how fast time can go; three months passed since being in Hana with Susanne, and now, the newer bait was awaiting their address. Keith left Sheena after the meeting with His Majesty whilst Erwin, Mike and the four remained for a few more hours.

      By the time Viktor, Graham and Leo disarmed by the stables and were allowed through the Trost gates, the presentation was already in session. Keith gave his speech almost identical to Erwin's, minus the mention of shifters. He was in the process of naming the top ten of the Thirty-Seventh class when Adria caught Neal's eye.

      As predicted by Hanji months ago, he was ranked first. He stood as if he was free from unblemished character and multiple murders weighing down on him. Neal's shoulders were pricked behind him as he stood, Adria tried her best to refrain from eye contact but she could still feel the ice blue eyes follow her. A spark of something rose inside her chest and almost impulsively, Adria reached out and latched onto the hood of Viktor's cloak.

      He hadn't spoken since her agreement towards the Black Battalion, brooding was Viktor's downfall and he was more than aware of it. Even though she didn't put force behind the tug, Viktor willingly came to a halt and faced her. Surprisingly, his features held no malice as she predicted—his eyes drooped in exhaustion and his arms came around her in an embrace.

      She supposed he was that relieved for finally knowing his identity that the ordeal grew too much; Viktor had never learnt to supress his emotions, he was either placid or everything at once. Now, was that moment. Adria stood limp while a few stray cadets cast glances whilst others made googly eyes and cooed that they were 'star crossed lovers'.

      "Thank you," Viktor murmured, breaking away.

      As Adria dragged her heels behind him, the orange spark that danced around Neal's knuckles went unnoticed beneath the guise of the green unicorn.

* * *

     In the mess hall, Adria lay asleep beneath the book Neal had gifted her. At the end of the table, the group chatted over their next moves. Viktor carefully pried the journal from Adria's elbow and returned to his seat across from Hanji—Adria had attempted to find information on the Tybur family yet succumb to the accumulated fatigue from the last couple of months.

      "So far everything has gone to plan," Hanji templed their fingers. "Neal cooperated with Abram's orders and had a perfect score to seat first—he even surpassed your training results, Viktor. He's made no violent advancements towards Michael or I, though his motives remain unbeknownst. Neal made no relationships in the Thirty-Seventh, nor did he speak at all."

      Mike tipped the neck of the draught beer to his lips, "And what is the plan? We have no current objective."

      Erwin smoothed down the map which the Titan had produced in their earlier expedition, "I think we need to focus beyond Hana and scope new territory. Now that the Eldian and Marley dots have been connected our priority should remain on Titans and expansion."

      "Even if we do find land beyond we're powerless to reaffirm the defences of the Walls out there, why do you think Hana is such an isolated colony? They're bait," Keith dropped his legs up at the end of the map. "That Titan which approached Adria had intent, in the hearing against the Internal Brigade she confessed that she can sense Titans. . .I wonder how far that ability can stretch."

      Viktor's fist clenched on his thigh as Keith's gaze narrowed at Adria's sleeping figure.

      "I agree with Erwin on the premise that more expeditions need to take place," Keith's voice darkened. "Hanji, even though you said Neal wouldn't communicate did you catch any form of conversation with himself or notice anything out of the ordinary?"

      Hanji's brow furrowed, "He has a razor attached to a chain which he uses to mutilate himself for shifting. We made sure he was frisked once at camp but Michael and Abram's found nothing. On a search of his belongings we did find something. . .disturbing."

      "Being?" Keith tipped back in his chair slightly.

       "Unsent letters. . .to Adria. They documented what he intends to do with her—sexually and otherwise, plans to leave the Walls, usurping the royal family, theories about the Yelts gene. . .honestly, I thought it was utter nonsense but I'm afraid if he gets close enough to her, your best chance against the Titan's will be lost," Hanji swallowed. "I think he plans on taking her to Marley and exploiting her Yelts characteristics."

      "He's not going to fucking touch her," Viktor bared his teeth. "Adria and I are a team, Neal can't split humanity's strongest duo apart because he's got limp-dick."

      "Don't speak too soon," Keith's lips flattened. "Even though Brant Yelts defected from Marley to start anew, if Neal pushes Adria far enough to the brink of her own humanity she could turn against us. The brutality against the MPs which raped her mother was just the precursor for her demise. You seem to forget that Neal is a Jørgens, our own breed of super-soldier, his family have served the Walls for generations. . .he wants to create a genetic hybrid with his cousin."

      Erwin chuckled slightly at Viktor's grimace, "How do you think bloodlines are kept pure? The royal family and Ackerman's partook in incest for generations. However, what I don't think Neal realises is that after Adria's transformation, her recessive Yelts gene became dominant and is now genetically fully Yelts with no trace of Jørgens blood."

       "Yeah well that's not going to happen, he may be a Jørgens but the King seemed to talk up my family too. Shifter or not, he doesn't hold one of the original Titans," Viktor slammed the book down.

      Hanji lifted their goggles and scrubbed their eyes, ". . .Well actually, Neal's Titan is coined the Defence Titan—a biproduct from the Founding Titan's spinal fluid. No matter your ability Viktor, you can't underestimate him."

      Adria opened her eyes, but strangely, Trost didn't greet her. She stood on a wall twice that of Sheena, Rose and Marianext to her, Brant and an older man with the same peach hair overlooked the scenery. Brant's senior had a thick beard the same colour and tightened the military coat around his chest.

      "I'm disappointed in you Brant, you're exactly like your brothers. I promise you, there is nothing worth sacrificing your life here for, in Paradis," he said. "All Paradis offers is high-class whores and the remanence of Eldia's strength. We control over eighty-five percent of the original population behind Marley's walls and you're wanting to go to the brainwashed left overs beyond the hill?"

      "The Ackerman are there; the King has two serving as part of his Black Battalion. Imagine what it would be like to have an Ackerman as a shifter," despite his reserved demeanour, Adria noticed her father cringe. Was he trying to sell a lie to Old Man Yelts?

      Old Man Yelts guffawed, "Ackerman are scum, they don't deserve Ymir's power."

      Brant folded his arms. Adria noticed he wore the long trench coat of the Survey Corps, did he revisit wherever they were between his rescue of Viktor and asylum in Civil District as Commander? Though it was a memory, Adria was certain he smirked at her.

      "Don't you want to challenge your right to the throne? You were married to one of the princesses. . .they named a Wall after her, you should see it," Brant commented.

      Old Man Yelts took a step back from the edge of the fortification, "Don't remind me of your mother. I regret every moment throwing her and her sisters off this fucking thing."

      "And yet we continue the practice of sacrificing individuals to the Titans and creating more, when will you realise that Marley's only enemy is itself? You've done your job as general and scared Paradis with these monsters now it's time to give it a rest. My brothers haven't forgone fighting your man-made Titan's for nothing," Brant's lips turned down.

      "I will stop once this last venture is done," Old Man Yelts produced a flip knife from the pocket of his coat and flicked the blade out with his thumb. "Take me to the Walls."

      Brant flicked the hood of the green Survey Corps cape covering his jacket and watched the familiar bolt of lightning strike his father. Once the flash faded, Brant witnessed what he considered his father's true forma muscular hunk of armoured filth. He couldn't contain the look of distaste, even when he fastened himself to the Defence Titan's nape.

      The Titan's gaze remained firmly in front across the green hills and small bodies of water; Brant took the opportunity to slide the metal container from his belt. It hadn't been hard to procure, Marley's downfall was their arrogance, and Old Man Yelts had the habit of leaving syringes lying about due to the mass amount of Eldian-born he turned.

      Adria manifested on Old Man Yelts' shoulder as Brant extracted spinal fluid from a crack between the spinal plates. He obviously hadn't felt a thing as the Titan sped up the pace towards Paradis.

       They seemed to run forever, the lines of pine trees blurred into one as Adria rested on her supposed grandfather's shoulder. It wasn't until Brant detached from the nape to ride his white stallion, when Adria was brought to attention. Old Man Yelts' Titan dug its toes into the earth to propel its body faster, crossing its plated arms over its chest and neck to protect itself from Maria's cannon fire.

      From the Vanguard's position on the Walls, they didn't notice Brant hurdling across towards the gate. At this point, Adria was unsure whether Old Man Yelts realised that Brant was leading him into a trap. Adria's breath clogged in her throat when Gregory crouched on the Wall, regarding the Titan with scrutiny. Beside him, Keith and a few other veteran Scouts prepared an attack.

       "Wait, is that the Commander?" murmured one of the men.

      Keith nodded, "He went on a lone expedition after those stray colonies beyond the Walls were massacred. . .I guess he found the answer to our predicament."

      "Are we going to assist the Commander?" Erwin folded his arms.

      "Brant Yelts is the Eleventh Commander for a reason," Keith raised the jockey prod and waved it in front of him. "Just watch."

      Adria's eyes widened at the atmosphere Brant gave off. Without warning he shot from his horse towards Old Man Yelts' jaw, hacking off the tip of its nose. This caused Old Man Yelts to cry out in pain and cover its face, this left the Titan open to Brant's disposal. Adria gripped onto one of the spinal plates while Brant spiralled to gouge out the Titan's eyes before setting to work on the unprotected underside of the Titan.

      Without much effort at all, Brant brought the Defence Titan to its knees in under a minute without breaking a sweat. Tearing open the nape with the Yelts Signature, Brant expelled dark coloured smoke from the canisters to conceal Old Man Yelts. He wasted no time hauling his father's struggling body from the fleshy mass and propelled them towards the Wall. Brant didn't acknowledge the questions hurled as he threw Old Man Yelts and himself into Maria.

      "Captain, should we go after him?" Erwin withdrew his swords.

      Keith raised his hand, "I have complete faith in Commander Yelts. I'm quite positive the hostage he's carrying lead that beast to the Walls."

      An animalistic desire awoke in Brant, he tossed his father into the air and with every throw, proceeded to punch or kick him to the ground just to be heaved up once more. He had the Yelts' strength to thank for to aid his brutality throughout the city. Civilians watched as Brant executed swift and agile movements, almost like a mid-air routine before reaching the gates of Sheena.

      The Internal Brigade that stood on the fortification aimed their rifles as Brant spiralled down to his father with a round-house kick. Old Man Yelts landed face first against the side of the Wall, spitting blood. Unbeknownst to Brant, Gregory's curiosity had surmounted Adria's, enticing him to follow. So, as Brant wrestled his father on the edge of Wall Sheena, Gregory fastened himself against the side.

      "I want her face to be the last thing you see," Brant bit. "Look at her."

      Old Man Yelts struggled to clear his eyes of blood to observe the carved effigy of his wife. The sharpened tiara affirmed the royal status which Paradis' population worshipped, the memory of royalty caused Old Man Yelts to grimace, glowering at his son.

      "Make use of yourself Gregory and give me that rope."

      Blinking from his confusion, Gregory grunted and lunged for the coil left by one of the support flags. Using this moment to his advantage, Old Man Yelts wriggled to find his footing against the supply tracks atop of the ridge. Exhaling through his nostrils, Brant crossed his swords either side of Old Man Yelts' shoulders to cease his upper body movements.

      Who is this man? Gregory followed Brant's silent prompt and bound Old Man Yelts' ankles before pacing back a few metres with the rope clutched tightly.

       "You will pay for this," Old Man Yelts gurgled. "Mark my words. . .the beast will find you."

      Oddly, Brant gave a crooked grin.

      Instinctively, Adria lunged forward when Gregory heaved the rope. Old Man Yelts was flung over the Wall, his back hit the carved forehead of Sheena while he tried to struggle out of his bonds. She felt the shackles rise on her neck when Old Man Yelts swayed enough to loosen the knife from his pocket, opening his mouth wide, he extended his tongue for it to be slit.

      Brant struck as the green bolt of lightning parted the clouds above. Before it could touch Old Man Yelts, Brant spiralled towards his father and swung his blades. Upon contact, Adria was knocked back from the force of the blastshielding her eyes from the light and smoke, she wasn't sure if the Defence Titan was successful in transforming or Brant himself had activated his gene.

      "Yeltsie!" Gregory peered over the edge.

      Her father was fastened to the side with his swords drawn as if he'd paused at the end of the swinging motion. His face was smeared with blood as was his Survey Corps uniform. His amber eyes were glued to the seamless brick work in front of him as the headless body of Old Man Yelts tarnished Sheena's face.   

      Speaking his thoughts aloud, Brant hissed, "Severing the spinal cord kills shifters. They can regenerate and transform any section of their body as long as the spine remains intact. . ."

      "Then what do you propose as our next move?" Mike glanced at Hanji.

      "I will monitor Neal further and run customary tests, but if you're so adamant venturing beyond the Walls for another expedition I have no objection," they shrugged. "I can't wait to observe Viktor's Titan if called upon during a battle and witness Adria's progress in her own abilities."

      Keith heaved a sigh, "No further expeditions are required to Hana so if we venture further the focus will be on Marley and Eldian connections to the present day. I'm still unsure as to how the King was privy to the Tybur family lines or their defection to Marley. I must warn that our guard must be increased at the threat of a Marlian infiltration."

      Erwin tapped his fingers against the parchment, "You said earlier that Titan spoke to Adria. . .if it threw this up, perhaps we should find it. It knows something."

       Keith's eyes glimmered but no excitement could quell the cold sweat trickling down his neck at the thought of betrayal, "We will convene later. I think we should follow in Ms Jørgens footsteps and retire for the evening. Mr Tybur, are you able to take Adria to her quarters?"

      Viktor blinked at the use of the surname.

       "Get used to it Viktor, you finally know who you are," Keith stood and loosened the tie around his neck. "Look after Adria tonight, I don't want Neal Yelts-Jørgens within ten-feet of her."

      Once the Captains left, Viktor pocketed the Almanac and went to Adria's body. She remained in deep sleep but a crease appeared on her forehead as if she were dreaming. He cradled her head in the crook of his shoulder and cupped his right beneath the crease of Adria's knees.

      He dragged his heels across the sandstone towards her old quarters in the tower. Viktor couldn't remove his caramel gaze from her pastel hair, an overwhelming need consumed him as he thought more and more over the Marlian threat. Viktor felt indebted to her, if it wasn't for the Eleventh Commander he would've ended up like Neal—brainwashed and batshit. Out of all the comrades he'd been with, Adria was there from the start—they were so compatible yet in a way also couldn't stand each other.

      Viktor considered Adria tainted, after learning her connection to the Saints of Maria and incestuous relationship with Neal. He grew hot and anxious when she exerted her Yelts gene, but deep down he held her in the highest regard. Viktor couldn't label what he felt.

      Swallowing, he lifted Adria's body so she hung limply over his shoulder; only kept in place by his right hand brushing her calves. The shackles rose on his neck when a grappling hook shot through the stone window on the approach to Adria's quarters.

       Instinctively, Viktor lifted his left palm to his mouth.

      "Don't think you're special," Neal snarled, pulling himself up over the ledge. Between his teeth was a thin razor easily taken from shaver. "I got warned about you, the Tybur's were all in it for their personal gain. They disgraced their Eldian birthright and abandoned Marley. . ."

      "If you shift, by the order of His Majesty, I have the authority to put your head on a platter and serve it to Keith Shadis," Viktor didn't bother turning around.

      "I'd rather you give it to Adria. She's devoured me before," Neal ran a hand through the sides of his quiff. "That aggravates you, doesn't it? You wish you could've tasted what's between her legs, felt her lips around you. . .I claimed her, by right she's mine—I'm her family, her lover. I hold her grandfather's Titan, I'm more of a Yelts than you think."

       "You honestly make me want to vomit," Viktor stopped walking. "I don't know what they put you through as a kid in Weiss, but one thing's for certain. . .Adria isn't anyone's, she's a human being—and by the Walls, I'd rather die than have you treat her like some sex-toy." 

      "You would understand my position if you ever fucked her like I have. . .surely you crave it, you're inseparable. As if you haven't had the urge to see what was underneath that uniform," Neal laughed. "You envy me." 

     "I don't see you holding her right now, so who's the real winner here," almost instinctively, Viktor adjusted her body against his chest. "Touch her again and I'll fucking kill you." 

      Surprisingly, Neal didn't pursue. He smiled darkly, "Don't count your breaths outside the Walls."    

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1K 66 10
When you signed up to be a part of the Survey Corps, you sought an adventure of the world beyond the walls. You always had an honest relationship wit...
29.7K 600 13
Erwin Smith; Commander of Survey Corps, is in love with you and wants a relationship. But there's rumors going around that he used women for his nee...
62.3K 1.6K 41
Sakura thought her life was perfect her dad was the Chief Lieutenant of the Survey Corps and she constantly trained with him so she could some day jo...
298K 7.6K 90
{Levi Ackerman x FEM! Reader} The artwork in this fanfic's book cover isn't mind. Credits to the rightful owner. [Slow Burn] Synopsis: Y/N never thou...