THE GOOD SISTER

By ANNwithnoE

Richard Faulkner, Jr. and Madeline "Dei" Mendez have been best friends since college, with a hint of somethi... More

Chapter 1 - Ampersand
Chapter 2 - Ellipsis
Chapter 3 - Sidebar
Chapter 5 - Flush
Chapter 6 - Dagger
Chapter 7 - Justify
Chapter 8 - Leading
Chapter 9 - Typo
Chapter 10 - Corrigendum
Chapter 11 - Rough
Chapter 12 - Stet
Chapter 13 - Callout
Chapter 14 - Kerning
Chapter 15 - Bracket
Chapter 16 - Bold
Chapter 17 - Flag
Chapter 18 - Footer
Chapter 19 - Proof
Chapter 20 - Uppercase
Chapter 21 - Subhead
Chapter 22 - Manuscript
Chapter 23 - Legend
Chapter 24 - Bubble
Chapter 25 - Caption
Chapter 26 - Face
Chapter 26B - Face to Face
Chapter 27 - Full Measure
Disruption
Chapter 28 - Display
Chapter 29 - Hyphenation
Chapter 30 - Headline
Chapter 31 - Apostrophe
Chapter 32 - Justify
Chapter 33 - Italics
Chapter 34 - Cross-Reference
Chapter 35 - Abstract
Chapter 36 - Margin
Chapter 37 - Flush and Hang
Chapter 38 - Brace
Chapter 39 - Dead Copy
Chapter 40 - Citation
Chapter 41 - Hard Copy
Chapter 42 - All Caps
Chapter 43 - Edit
Chapter 44 - Quote Unquote
How are you guys?

Chapter 4 - Backslash

4.3K 414 25
By ANNwithnoE

Good morning everyone, slept early last night hence no update. I was so tired from attending the ADNFest but it was fun, and seeing MaiChard in the flesh is always a nice treat. I met up with a lot of ADN Friends but was not able to stay at the writer's booth because early on, even before they opened the registration, I got so dizzy from the heat and standing so long outside. The security guys were really nice and escorted me inside and a medic attended to me. I hope those among you who also graced the event had fun. 

Anyway, I'd like to thank you guys for reading my new fic and for the really nice comments. I always get fired up with your appreciation. Our story starts kinda slow, because I want to show you how their friendship developed, before I reveal the main plot. The first few chapters actually give you an idea of how things will escalate later on.

Hope you like this chapter and share what you think. I am always happy when I see interaction in the comments section. Have a great week ahead, my dears :)

Dei was seated in front of him in class, and that was the way he wanted it. Sure, he wanted to be close to her but he preferred have a constant view of her. When he was bored with the lectures, he'd watch her absently playing with her hair while listening to the professor, and from time to time she would look behind her and smile at him. She had the best smile ever, her eyes crinkled at the corners and her perfect set of teeth looked good enough to be part of a toothpaste campaign.

Today was the day he'd ask her out, he'd been itching to do so since this morning, but the subject of her sister cropped up. He was glad to have been of help, her sister has since added him to her friends list. She was pretty like Dei, maybe still chubby with baby fat, but had the potential of maturing into a real beauty as well. She sent him a direct message and said hi, he responded with a smile emoticon but that was it.

The boring lecture was finally over. He rose from his seat and walked to the end of his row, waiting for her to walk with him. She was talking to Paddy and noticed how Paddy was touching her arm. It was the first time he'd seen paddy do this and to see Dei not minding it bothered him. He looked away, irritated. Wasn't Paddy already pursuing Shaan?

A light tap on his shoulder made him turn around, and Paddy and Dei were there in front of him. His heart sank, it must mean there wouldn't be time for him to talk to Dei alone. He looked around for Shaan.

"Uhmmm, Paddy. No Shaan today?"

"She's coming in late, couldn't make it to this class. Why?"

"Oh, nothing. Seeing you without her doesn't seem normal. You're always together."

"We're not a couple yet, don't get the wrong impression. It seems she has eyes for you, and that kind of makes things hard for me."

"Me? No way......I never noticed."

"How could you? You're like a horse with blinders. Your eyes are trained on Dei alone. But I don't blame you."

Paddy looked at Dei appreciatively and Dei merely laughed at him.

"Stop it guys. Look Paddy, I need to talk to Jay alone. We'll catch up with you and Shaan later, ok?"

She didn't give Paddy a chance to reply and linked her arm through his. Together, they walked out of the room.

"Thanks."

"For what?"

"For a moment there I thought he would be coming with us. I wanted to talk to you alone."

"You looked like you were about to hit him, I had to do something."

"What did you want to talk to me about?"

"Well for starters I wanted to thank you for talking to my sister. I hope she listens to you."

"Dei, she will listen to you soon. I'm just mediating for you."

"Yeah, well. She's always had an axe to grind with me, I don't know why."

"Maybe she looks up to you and feels left out with all the things happening. I always wanted to spend time with my brother but he had his own set of friends. I know what being left out feels like."

"Hmmm......maybe you're right. It's just that she's such a brat all the time. My mom spoiled her rotten, she always gets her way even when it's wrong."

"Just try to understand her more, you're all she has. Be there for her, so that she won't turn to friends who might be wrong for her."

"Yeah, maybe you're right."

They were outside of the building now, walking along the lane filled with trees, only a few students were walking around. He stilled her with his hand and made her face him.

"Dei.........there's something I want to ask you."

"Sige......mukhang serious ha, ano yun?"

"I'm........shit. I..........wondered if you'd like to have dinner—"

"Sus, magkasabay tayo kumain all the time. Sure."

"This is different......I'm asking you out........like....um....on a date?"

"Oh."

"Yes....this Saturday?"

"Hmmm......"

"No?"

"Does Paddy know about this?"

"Paddy? Anong kinalaman ni Paddy?"

"Are you on a bet with him or something? Because he also asked me out."

"Ha? No, hindi kami nag-usap.  What did you tell him? Are you going out with him?"

"No. I was weirded out actually, isn't he pursuing Shaan? Why is he suddenly asking me out?"

"I don't know. Did you turn him down because of Shaan only? If there was no Shaan, would you say yes?"

"I don't like him, Jay."

"Okay."

There was an awkward silence after that. He took her hand and they continued walking together, his heart hammering. It looked like she wasn't interested after all. Maybe she was just being nice, she might prefer Paddy to him.

"Jay?"

"Hmm?"

"What time will you pick me up on Saturday?"

She was looking at him, biting her lip, trying hard not to smile too widely. He hugged her and let out a whoop of joy. She covered his mouth, embarrassed when students looked their way.

Calm down, heart. Calm your weak heart, Dei.

-----

Dei changed her dress for the fifth time. She seesawed between too formal, too casual, slutty, and prudish and blah. In the end, she chose a white dress and flat sandals, wore her hair straight and loose and applied minimal make-up to complete her look.

Her doorbell rang, she nervously spritzed on some citrusy scent and opened the door. He stood tall before her, in a blue shirt tucked into snug-fitting jeans, and dark brown loafers with no socks. He looked devilishly attractive, but he was staring at her as well.

"Dei.........you look........wow."

"Stop staring. Let's go, you're making me nervous."

"Ang ganda-ganda mo. I can't stop looking."

She covered his face with her hands, her fragrant, soft palm brushing against his lips. He puckered to press his lips against it, making her get goosebumps.

"Ugh, naco-conscious na ako....... Jayyyyyyy........I'm not used to dressing up, seriously, stop staring."

She was blushing as he held her clammy hand. This was not the first time for him to fall for someone, yet it felt like a first to fall this hard for this enigma of a girl, who had so many layers, who kept him at arms' length yet showed him she had feelings for him.

He took her to Tapas Barcelona, a cozy restaurant near the uni. They sat across each other on a table far away from the entrance, hoping the restaurant wouldn't be too crowded on a Saturday night. Richard ordered for them both, taking care to ask if it was ok for them to order wine. Dei declined, shyly saying she never took anything containing alcohol, because her body reacts quickly to it.

Just as their orders were being served, the last two people they wanted to see walked into the restaurant. Paddy and Shaan were walking towards their table and already they both felt the night was going to be a failure.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

81.7K 2K 17
[ Book 3 in the Something Real series ] "Not your style, Blaine?" He mocked, taking slow steps over to me. "No," I said. Hayden stopped, his knees nu...
86 0 30
Dustin is a 30-something year old man that has only been in love once in his life, it was when he was 18 years old. No matter how hard he tried, he w...
14.2M 100K 9
He teases her. He challenges her. He fascinates her while he irritates her like no other. He drives her insane. He makes her...ughh, so mad she could...
338 79 48
Thalia "Sin" Reed has always been in love with him. But no matter how impulsive or reckless she was, she could never bring herself to confess. If tim...