The Last Princess

By kakpie291203

amazing cover by @ellebonnett #1 Fantasy 1/20/2018 *warning* completely unedited, so proceed with caution EDI... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Epilogue
Author's Note
The General's Wife
Bonus Chapter : Panic

Chapter 15

83.5K 4.2K 231
By kakpie291203

Complete silence.

No one said anything for the longest time while I stood there, pressurizing them with my eyes. Finally, Sir Arvid, a very old Council member, who had been there while my father was ruling, and since, stood up. "She's right. This Law oppresses the elves' rights."

I knew Ivy would have kicked him off the Council a long time ago, had he not been so influential and respected. I figured he was my greatest ally in the room. Possibly the only one who didn't completely agree with my mother.

The silence in the room broke up as it filled with tense whispers. I waited for the final verdict.

Then Sir Nairn stood up. "Princess, what you are suggesting is- to say the least- completely unheard of. While it may, in some ways, make the elven people unhappy, it also enforces the Queen's complete authority on our Forest. The elven people cannot see the big picture, but the Monarch thinks of the whole Forest and acts for it's benefit."

"And what if the reigning Monarch follows their own individual goals instead of working for the betterment of the Forest?" I asked.

There was a collective intake of breath.

Most elves' eyes were divided between me and Ivy, but I didn't have time to look at her. I focused on Sir Nairn. He continued, "Princess, such a thing has never happened before."

I felt like rolling my eyes. I restrained myself and said, "But in the future? You cannot account for what future rulers will do, Sir Nairn. What if they do not rule for the Forest, but for themselves?"

"Princess, how can anyone descended from your just line of ancestors do so?"

"You can still not account for future generations, Sir Nairn. Anyhow, assuming elves from the Elowen line cannot be untrustworthy- though they can- what about someone who's married into our clan? How do you know what they, or their descendants, will do?"

Another huge gasp.

I noticed a bead of sweat trickling down the side of Sir Nairn's face. It gave me immense satisfaction. But he was a seasoned player, and he wouldn't back down so easily. "Princess, I think you can trust your clan to marry the right people. Surely they can differentiate between good and bad?"

"And if they are deceived? Duped? Or compelled?" I said quickly.

"How could the ruler of this Forest, bound by no regulations, be duped or compelled?" He said smugly.

But this was getting off-topic. I had to steer the conversation back in the right way. "Sir Nairn, you have forgotten what we are talking about. Not the decisions of the Elowens in marrying, but how this Law oppresses the elf people's rights."

"You are right, Princess. Even so, to abolish this Law does something which cannot, in any cases, be allowed." Branch said from his seat, not bothering to stand up.

I turned my attention to him. "What?"

He smirked. "It undermines the Monarch's authority."

Ivy suddenly stood up. She didn't even look at me, but the glare in Forreston's eyes chilled me to the bone. She spoke to the whole Council. "I have heard both sides of this argument, but I cannot disagree with Sir Branch's point. And so, Princess (she turned to me), the Law will not be abolished. Adjourned."

Her glare was much darker than Forreston's now.

She turned, and with Forreston at her side, swept out through the door in the back. The rest of the Council stood up and filed out from the normal doors. Sir Arvid went last, shooting me a worried look while going.

I was left standing there alone, and I allowed the tremble I had suppressed till then to take hold.

My plan had failed. And now my punishment would be terrible.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54 1 18
Lily was a beautiful girl. She loved the big, wide world. She grew up within her castle walls, supposing to be the next queen. But she's messy, loves...
6.1K 308 45
Old feuds, new worlds, and a love that will last a lifetime... Ever since her dad mysteriously abandoned her family, life on the Clifton Estate hasn'...
436K 28.6K 39
Highest rating: #19 in fantasy! Edlyn has never fit in. With her unusual white hair and silver eyes, she sticks out from her village of brown. To mak...
308K 20.3K 41
DAILY UPDATES amazing cover by @ellebonnett Edited version of the #1 Fantasy 'The Last Princess' ****************************************************...