Dragon's Heart ~ Hiccstrid

By SilentBriar

Hiccup goes missing, Astrid is faced by daunting questions, and so much more happens at Berk an the Edge. Doe... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
~UPDATES~
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24 (mini)
Chapter 25
Epilogue

Chapter 8

145 7 1
By SilentBriar

Hiccup flopped onto the bed, tears streaming freely now. He wasn't sure why in the world he had done that, it's not like it was anything new from Snotlout. In fact, Snotlout was being mild. Hiccup had no reason to react like that, he knew it was too much, but he just couldn't stand Snotlout criticizing him again.

Normally in situations like this, he would go for a fly on Toothless, but... yea.

He turned over from the soaked pillow to face the wall as a crack of light shot across the floor, and the door creaked with someone's arrival. 

"Hiccup?" Ugh. Astrid. He didn't have the energy to deal with her, or anyone else at that moment. "We need to talk."

"Dang it." He heard a sigh from around the corner.

"Hiccup, I understand you're upset, but that was really unnecessary.." The voice came closer to him.

He didn't respond.

"Hiccup, you need to pull yourself together! I apologize if I'm being too honest and whatnot, but you've been so self obsessed! You just sit around all day and do nothing, mourning over your stupid lost dragon. How about actually doing something about it instead of moping around all day?"

"Astrid, do you realize how hard this is for me?!" He sat up, facing her with his brows furrowed and tear stains streaking across his face. "I've lost my dragon and everyone's trust all in one week!"

"You wouldn't have lost their trust if you weren't so stupid! Why the hell did you even have to hit Snotlout in the first place?!"

"This is not about Snotlout!" Hiccup had risen from the bed and was now half yelling. 

"Yes, it is! But it's also about you!" Astrid's eyes were slowly filling with tears as her voice raised slightly.

"Have you ever lost your dragon? Have you ever had your cousin criticizing you all your life and constantly trying to one-up you? Have you ever been whipped until you couldn't stand anymore, Astrid?!"

"I lost my parents when I was just a babe Hiccup! You think I don't know what it is to lose something that important?! I didn't even get to know them, I don't remember a single thing!" Hiccup's face seemed to distort at this, baring his teeth.

"Ugh, Astrid, why do you have to be so- so- ugh!" He threw his hands into the air as tears began to fall from Astrid's watery blue eyes. 

"You're not yourself lately Hiccup. And until you are, I can't keep living like this. You ned to change, or you're going to lose someone else important to you as well." And with that, Astrid breezed out, shoulders shaking with silent sobs when she shut the door behind her, leaving Hiccup in the darkness, and once again, alone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He couldn't believe it. She had threatened to break up with him and left him alone, again, just when he needed comforting most. He stood there in shock for a moment, staring at the closed door before running into the room, searching frantically for something, anything, to take his anger out on. 

Grabbing a pillow, he flung it across the room with a half hearted yell, then stood there for a few moments before slumping and collapsing onto the ground. 

"Oh, what have I done..." He looked up the ceiling with tears gathering in his eyes again, curled up into a little ball. "Dad, I need help." He burrowed into his knees again, shoulders shaking as he muttered to himself over and over again, that Snotlout was right, he's an idiot, and Snotlout is right. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                                  THE NEXT DAY

Astrid frowned as she dropped the note to the ground, watching as the little slip of paper danced before resting on the splintered ground. 

"What does it say?" Fishlegs looked at her questioningly before picking up the folded note. "Can I read it?"

"Yea, go ahead. It's for all of us." Astrid didn't look back as she headed into Hiccup's bedroom, where the unmade bed stayed just as it had been last night, when she had fought with Hiccup. The twins and Snotlout were in the kitchen, listening as Snotlout retold the story as Hiccup being weak and stupid, yet somehow being a horrible villain at the same time.

"Guys, listen, it's a note for all of us!" Fishlegs gestured for the three to come over, and to drop the pepper that Tuffnut was attempting to sprinkle into Snotlout's blue and black eye. "And stop telling the story like that Snot, Hiccup did not do that." Snotlout scowled at Fishlegs, but still sauntered over with the twins behind him.

"Here, lemme read it for them." Astrid grabbed the note out of Fishleg's fingers, and promptly began to scan the neatly written lines over before reading it aloud.

Hey guys, it's Hiccup.

I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for what happened last night, for Snotlout and Astrid, and I also apologize if I scared anyone. Snotlout, you should probably put some frozen fish on that eye, trust me when I say it works, I've had to use it way too many times before. 

And Astrid, I just want you to know that I'm sorry if I haven't been myself lately. I'm sorry to the rest of you too about that, actually. Especially Astrid though. 

I've gone off to try and find Toothless on my own, since I tracked the flight back to Berk and don't need help from my mom. I should be back in about a week, but if I'm not, I just wanted to let you guys know that you'll be fine without me, and Astrid, I love you.

Astrid's cheeks warmed slightly as she read this, pausing for a moment, but then continuing.

I'll hopefully see you guys in a bit. But until then, I'm sorry.

~Hiccup

Astrid let her hand fall as her voice faded off on the last word, leaving the hut in silence. They all stared at the ground, letting Hiccup's words roll around in their minds. Finally, Fishlegs broke the silence.

"So? What are we gonna do about it?" Fishlegs looked around the circle of nail biting and nervous looking vikings.

"We're going after him. No complaints." Astrid pressed her lips together before dropping the paper onto the ground and turning to leave. "Everyone at the stables in 5 minutes." After she shut the door, They all turned to look at each other. 

"Sounds like something happened between Astrid and Hiccup." Ruff turned to look at Tuff, a strange look on her face.

"Yeah.."

"Since when have you guys been noticing anything important?" Snotlout threw his hands into the air before storming out suddenly, off to the stables to avoid a beating from Astrid.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the black dragon descended towards the island fort, the young man riding it took in a sharp breath. He was back. 

As he approached the island, the pale moonlight softly illuminated the rows of working men that were loading ships silently. The dark dragon was invisible in the dim fogginess, circling the island and slowly descending. As the two came near the loading docks, the rider leaned over to whisper into the dragon's ear.

"Alright bud, plasma bla-" He stopped abruptly. This wasn't Toothless. Sighing, he leaned to the dragon's ear again. "Fire." The dragon swooped down, spouting a wave of blue flames from its mouth. The rider gulped as the dragon ascended again, leaving the screaming and confused men behind. 

It wasn't fast like Toothless. It was good, but not good enough.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Alright, so now that it's literally past midnight," Astrid shot a glare at the twins, "are we finally ready to go?"

"I think so." FIshlegs grunted as he dropped the pile of scrolls onto the table, sending the little rolls of papers flying everywhere. 

"Fish, come on, we need to hurry, and all your little papers aren't gonna help." Astrid sighed as she said this, shaking her head as the twins began to lose focus again. Man, it must be hard being Hiccup. "Guys! Focus! We're leaving in 2 minutes, get whatever you think you need, and then we're going after him! Is that clear?"

"But Astri-" 

"No buts! We're going right now, wether you all like it or not!" Astrid then mounted the anxious Nadder, and flew off to the training ring to prepare.

"Dang, she's just like Hiccup! Only a much sexier Hiccup." Snotlout grinned creepily, as the twins began to gag and rush to get onto Barf & Belch to escape him. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The dragon landed loudly onto the leaf covered dirt, causing the rider to cringe. Toothless would never be this loud. One of the guards had run from the fire into this area of the forest, and Hiccup was determined to catch him before any word was spread about the attack. 

Leaving the clumsy dragon behind, Hiccup began to carefully make his way into the wood, listening for any crunching of leaves or branches snapping. Silence.

Then he heard it, very soft, but still there. The quiet breaking of a twig. He broke into a run, crashing through the forest and throwing himself on top of the, thankfully, much younger and weak looking teen. 

The juvenile's eyes popped wide open as a masked Hiccup pointed a dagger at his neck in a flash, covering his mouth in the same instant. 

"If you scream, you're dead, if you run, you're dead. Try anything funny, you're dead. Got it?" The young boy nodded frantically as tears began to fill his red looking eyes, which looked strangely large on his disproportioned face. "Good. You're gonna have to answer some questions for me."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I'm a guard in training. Blu- Bludvic's nephew through marriage. I- I'm sure he doesn't want me here though. He doesn't like me." The boy began to tear up again, his lower lip quivering as the light from the small fireplace danced across his freckled face.

"Do you do anything other than cry?" Hiccup immediately regretted saying this, but it was a truth. The boy had been a crybaby and very weak the whole time Hiccup was questioning him, which was a good thing, he supposed. 

"Y- yes. I used to help my mum with the afternoon sewing. I- I miss me mum." The young teen looked downcast, gazing into the fire as memories seemed to play before his watery eyes. 

"Never mind. I did this to you because I need to know where the ships with important dragons on them are taken." Hiccup stopped pacing and sat on the log opposite from the boy, gazing into the fire through his mask with him. 

"W-Why do you need to know that?" The boy was quivering with wide eyes as Hiccup rose and walked over to him, looking menacing with his riding mask still shielding his face. 

"Because they took my dragon. They took my best friend from me, and he's very possibly the last of his kind. If they kill him, that entire species of dragons will be wiped from the face of our earth." Hiccup crouched next to the boy, searching his grey eyes for any sign of sympathy. "I'm sure you know about losing things. With your mum, I mean." The boy looked down into the fire again. "I lost my father just two years ago. You may not have lost your mom, but I do know how it is to miss someone. Please help me." The boy looked back up at Hiccup again, trembling as his eyes searched the mask for something, anything. "Would it help if I took the mask off?" The boy then nodded vigorously, shaking as Hiccup rose and pulled off the riding mask. 

"I-It's you!" The young teen slid to the edge of the log, trembling as his eyes widened even more than before. "You're the one that escaped! H-How did you do it?! A-And I'm supposed to capture you back, but.." The boy looked up to Hiccup's kind and forgiving face. "I don't want to. You've been much nicer to me in the past ten minutes than Bludvic has ever been in my entire life. I-I want to help you." He took a deep breath and seemed to sit up straighter as he said this, looking Hiccup straight in the eye. "I'll help you." Hiccup smiled at the boy, chuckling softly at his determined, yet still scared, face.

"Alright, then let's go get my dragon back!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

YEET! Did you guys like it? Tell me what you think and give me any ideas in the comment section pls! 

Also, sorry if this was kinda a short chapter, but I (half) promise that the next one will be longer! Shoutout to @DOryDilson for voting and commenting! Luv u guys!!

~ElmothePug

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 20 16
(Various x reader) Y/n is Astrid's little sister. She develops a crush on Hiccup while he fell for Astrid. What happens when Toothless bonds more wit...
4.4K 101 15
Hiccup and Astrid are married and live happily. Peace had been on Berk for the past year, but at a price. After what Hiccup went through with the Sha...
134K 3.8K 58
Astrid lived a life full of struggles while her dad and brother were in Arizona her mother worked hard to earn money to feed and pay for Astrid's sch...
18.1K 360 16
Y/n is a young girl in Berk who never wanted to hurt a dragon and doesn't believe dragons are as bad as everyone thinks they are. She believes that t...