Dancing with a 구미호 Gumiho

By BorealisCassiopeia

An excerpt previously published in Love Journey's AMBW Anthology: Shades of AMBW: Asian Men and Black Women S... More

Prologue
The Story of the Legend Chapter 1
The Story of the Legend Chapter 2
The Story of the Legend Chapter 3
The Story of the Legend Chapter 4
The Story of the Legend Chapter 5
The Story of the Legend Chapter 6
The Story of the Legend Chapter 7
The Story of the Legend Chapter 8
The Story of the Legend Chapter 9
The Story of the Legend Chapter 10
The Story of the Legend Chapter 11
The Story of the Legend Chapter 12
The Story of the Legend Chapter 13
The Story of the Legend Chapter 15
The Story of the Legend Chapter 16
The Story of the Legend Chapter 17
The Story of the Legend Chapter 18
The Story of the Legend Chapter 19
The Story of the Legend Chapter 20
The Story of the Legend Chapter 21
The Story of the Legend Chapter 22
The Story of the Legend Chapter 23
The Story of the Legend Chapter 24
The Story of the Legend Chapter 25
The Story of the Legend Chapter 26
The Story of the Legend Chapter 27
The Story of the Legend Chapter 28
The Story of the Legend Chapter 29
The Story of the Legend Chapter 30
The Story of the Legend Chapter 31
The Story of the Legend Chapter 32
The Story of the Legend Chapter 33
The Story of the Legend Chapter 34
The Story of the Legend Chapter 35
The Story of the Legend Chapter 36
Epilouge {End}

The Story of the Legend Chapter 14

1.4K 96 46
By BorealisCassiopeia

Amari stared at Su Hyun, stunned. Her mouth has slightly gaped. Her heart started racing, which caused her whole face to flush. Luckily for her, it couldn't be seen because of her dark skin. She gulped down the knot in her throat as she inhaled and exhaled slowly while holding her chest as she tried to calm down her heart.

Su Hyun stared at Amari, smiling warmly at her, awaiting her answer. He found it amusing at how flabbergasted she seemed just by him asking her out on a date. Amari could be so adorable.

"A.... a date?" Amari finally managed to say something.

Su Hyun nodded his head.

"Like a real, actual, date date?" She asked, making Su Hyun chuckle.

"Yes."

"A date that could potentially lead to a relationship kind of date?"

Su Hyun laughed at her. She was getting more and more adorable. "Yes." He told her.
"Are you certain about that? What about work? Isn't there a rule against that sort of thing?"

"I'm the boss. I make up the rules".

"Am I ready for that type of thing?" Amari thought. She thought long and hard, before deciding her answer.

"Okay." She answered. "I'll go on a date with you."

Su Hyun smiled at her. "Great. I will pick you up tonight". He told her.

Amari nodded her head, before quickly grabbing her jacket and leaving, slamming the door behind her. She leaned on the front door, clutching her chest again. She couldn't believe that she agreed to a date with Su Hyun. Dating a boss is going to be difficult. She couldn't think that he asked her out in the first place. She had no idea that she caught his attention in that way. In Hye is going to give her an earful.

Su Hyun chuckled at Amari's reaction. He never knew she could be so cute. Couldn't believe he was just now noticing it.

"WHAAAAT?!" Screamed In Hye as she grabbed her best friend and roommate by the shoulders.

Amari smiled nervously as she nodded her head.

"ARE YOU SERIOUS?!"

"Calm down and lower your voice. You're so embarrassing. The neighbors could hear you, and yes, I am serious. Earlier today, he asked me out".

"Girl... I can't even". She held her chest.

"I never even knew he was interested in me in that way."

"Well, you're a babe for one." In Hye told her.

"Stop," Amari told her, getting embarrassed again.

"It's true. You are. You know how many guys that come up me at work asking for your number? You're hot, girl. That's just part of it, but you got brains to go with your beauty and brawn. You're the whole package. Who wouldn't want you? I'm surprised he took this long to ask you out".

"I have only known him a month."

"Guys be trying to ask you out after one day."

Amari sat down on the couch. "I accepted, but should I do this? I mean, he's my boss".

"What's stopping you, other than yourself?"

Amari shrugged her shoulders. "I guess nothing."

In Hye sat close next to her and hugged her shoulders. "You have a gorgeous, wealthy man interested in dating you unless he has some secret life or something, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't try."

Amari chuckled nervously. "He does a secret life." She thought. She inhaled and exhaled. "You're right. I should at least try to see how this turns out".

"Yes! Now let's get you dolled up for your hot date, tonight!" In Hye told her excitedly.

"Oh jeez. Now I'm regretting telling you about this date. Not too much make up okay?"

"I'm not making any promises."

Amari groaned as she followed In Hye to her bedroom.

Hours later, it was time for Amari to get ready for her date with Su Hyun. She showered, brushed her teeth, lotioned, perfumed, powdered herself all over, before dressing herself in a black dress that she splurged herself on for when she wanted to go out and have a nice time. The moment Amari saw it in the store she instantly wanted the dress. She fell in love with it at first sight. It was perfect for her.

Amari then went to comb and brush her hair, styling it in a fro, before putting on jewelry next. Her mother gave her both a pair of diamond earrings and necklace for her birthday. Her mother wanted her to have beautiful jewelry for any special occasion.

Lastly, were the shoes. Like the dress, Amari instantly fell in love the pair of shoes at first sight. They were a little too high for her, but she eventually learned how to walk in them.

Amari checked herself out in the vanity mirror, twirling around. She liked what she saw in the mirror, smiled and headed towards In Hye's bedroom where she will make her up. She was only going to use blush, lipstick, eyeliner, and eye shadow. Foundation wouldn't work for her since the two friends have different skin complexions, and she doesn't buy make up for herself. She prefers going au natural, except some lipstick here and there.

Amari felt embarrassed as she allowed her best friend to put on the makeup. She gave her mother a hard time with it, but here she is, easily letting her friend do it. It wasn't like she had a choice though. In Hye was going to put makeup on her one way or another. Amari might as well have made it her choice instead of In Hye's.

"Alright, perfect." In Hye said as she finished dolling up Amari.

Amari opened her eyes and stared at her reflection in the mirror in shock. It was like she was looking at a different person. She lightly touched her face, before smiling slightly.

"Wow, you did a great job." She complimented her friend. "It's like I'm staring at a new person."
"Thank you. I wasn't going to miss out on this opportunity to spruce you up a bit. I want this night to be perfect for you".

"It seems like you're more excited about my date than I am." Amari chuckled.

"How can I not be? My friend is finally becoming a woman".

"Whoa, don't get ahead of ourselves, now. It's just a first date. We will see how this goes".

"You know what I mean. Get your head out the gutter". In Hye told her, nudging her in the shoulder playfully.

The two of them laughed until the doorbell rang.

"Have fun, Amari." In Hye wished her friend as she pushed her towards the door, gently.

Opening the door, Su Hyun was caught by surprise and speechless at how drop-dead gorgeous Amari was. He stared at her; mouth opened slightly as he checked her out up and down. The dress she wore embraced her curves just right. The heels made her exposed legs look longer. He didn't know what he was expecting but wasn't expecting this.

Amari grinned as she combed a few strands of hair behind her ear as she waited for Su Hyun to gain his composure back.
"Like what you see?" She asked, snapping him from his thoughts.

"You look exquisite." He told her. "You dressed up for me?" He grinned back at her.

"Yeah, probably won't see a lot of this. Depends on how the date goes". Amari said, flicking his nose playfully and walking past him.

"Have fun." In Hye said, closing the door behind her.

Su Hyun watched Amari, eyes running over her body once more, before walking up to his car and opening the passenger door for her. Amari smiled and nodded, before getting into the car and fastening her seat belt. Su Hyun closed the door behind her and walked over to the driver's side and got in, fastening his seatbelt as well, before starting the ignition and driving off.

First off, Su Hyun took Amari to a French restaurant that offers gorgeous and stunning views of Bukhan Mountain and downtown Seoul. It's a very luxurious restaurant that has a strict dress code. Many people have been denied access because they were wearing the wrong shoes. Luckily, both Su Hyun and Amari were granted access to a luxurious restaurant and were able to dine on the delicious meals offered.

Amari was shocked that she was able to dine here, believing she would never have. She and In Hye would never be able to eat here with their salaries combined. Felt terrible that she couldn't enjoy this with her as well but was still enjoying herself so far.

Next, Su Hyun took Amari to Namsan Tower, where they dined for dessert and where they enjoyed the view of Seoul. It was an exquisite sight to behold. Amari could barely take her eyes from the scenery. Su Hyun could only stare at her as she enjoyed herself and glad that she was.

Lastly, the two strolled around at Banpo Bridge Park and basked in the view of the rainbow fountain. There the two was able to converse about themselves: their favorite food and color, their first loves, first jobs, hobbies, bits about their past. Amari hesitated on thinking about if she should tell him about what she saw that night, him being non-human. She was having such a great time; she didn't want to ruin it, especially now that he was talking about the first woman he fell in love with. A woman named Kali.

"Sounds like my great-grandmother. What a coincidence". She told him.

"She was a remarkable woman; strong, kind, caring, compassionate and courageous. We could have had a life together, but she died tragically in an accident".

"I'm so sorry," Amari told him.

Su Hyun shook his head. "It's fine." "After all it's been over 400 years". He thought.

"Sung Ki was my first love, believe it or not. He wasn't always like how he is now. He was very gentle and compassionate. It was after his mother's death that he changed into that despicable man. His mother was the only one he was close to other than his sister. He never got along with his father, so her death weighed heavily on him".
Amari looked at Su Hyun. Curiosity overwhelmed her. She needed to know what he was. She wanted answers, but how to get them without genuinely exposing her secret of his secret?

"There was this story I was told as a kid." She said, staring at the view.

Su Hyun stared at her, knowing what story she was talking about, but wondered where she was going with it.

"It was about a shape-shifting creature called a Gumiho that lived for thousands of years. It was cursed to live its life as a fox that preyed on human livers and hearts".

"Yeah, I have heard of that story." He told her. "I am that story." He thought.

"However, this Gumiho had met one human girl and then from then on, he wanted to live his life as a human so that he could be with her for the rest of their life. That was his only wish and desire, but he never got it. He had to watch the one girl he had loved die right in front of him".

Su Hyun will always remember that day. He could still feel and see her blood on his hands.

"My mother always told me that story to scare me into behaving as a child, but I always felt sympathy for the Gumiho."

Su Hyun looked at her. "Really?"

"Yeah, he preyed on human organs, but that's how he survived. That's how he lived. He didn't have a choice. I can't blame it for wanting to live".

Su Hyun nodded. "True."

"He only desired one thing, and he couldn't even get that and to top it all off, he had to watch his lover die. I couldn't help but feel like comforting it. Being there for it. No one deserves that, not even a deadly creature such as the Gumiho".

"That's one of the things that makes you amazing, Amari, your empathy for others." Su Hyun thought he said in his head but accidentally said aloud.

Amari's face flushed, as she wasn't expecting him to say that. Su Hyun wasn't even planning to say that. Amari cleared her throat and calmed her racing heart as she continued. "If the Gumiho was still around today, would his desires still be the same?" She asked.

Su Hyun stared at the scene and nodded his head. "I believe so. I don't think it would have changed".

"Why?" Amari asked.
"There's nothing more important to an immortal creature than mortality and spending that with someone they care for. When you have lived a long life, you start to wish of death. Being immortal isn't as glorious as we human beings think. It gets real lonely watching everyone you love and care for die, while you carry on and have nothing but memories of them all".

Amari stared at him, sadness forming in her eyes. "Is that how he feels? He's lonely?" She thought.

"Not only did I sympathize with the Gumiho, but I also felt the desire to grant him that wish of becoming human. I still feel that way. However, I never found out what was needed to be done for that to happen". Amari faked frowned.

"I have heard that the Gumiho has to marry the chosen one for him to be human."

"The chosen one?" Amari asked.

"Yes, this chosen one has the Gumiho's bead embedded inside them, which grants them specific superhuman abilities, which gives the Gumiho an idea of who is his chosen bride. Their wedding is to take place on a specific full moon cycle or else he could never be human".

"What full moon cycle is that?"

"The full moon cycle where Mercury and the moon will be fully aligned and in retrograde. A marital ceremony has to take place at that time".

"Marriage huh?" Amari thought. "That's the only way?"

Su Hyun nodded.

"You know so much about this stuff."

"Yeah, well, I was into the supernatural when I was younger. Studied up on it. Now I'm just a walking encyclopedia of weirdness". He chuckled.

"Ain't nothing wrong with that, exactly quite the opposite." She smiled as she combed through her curly hair. "As a kid, I did want to marry the Gumiho."

"Really?" Su Hyun asked.

"Yeah. He would have never betrayed me and would love me unconditionally and eat all my enemies. He was the perfect husband". She chuckled, Su Hyun, joined her.

"Him being hundreds of years older than you and being non-human wasn't a problem for you? You're sick a freak". He joked.

Amari nudged him in the shoulder, playfully. "Shut up."

"But no. That never bothered me and still doesn't. What matters is what's on the inside, and he was better on the inside than many humans".
"So, if the Gumiho were still around and masqueraded in his desirable human form, you wouldn't be surprised, frightened, or disgusted if he revealed himself to you?"

Amari shook her head, hoping he would get the hint. It was hard keeping this bottled up inside her. She didn't want to pressure him, though.

Su Hyun thought about it. Him revealing himself to her would ease him a lot. He trusts Amari's words that she won't be frightened and run away, but he was still hesitant. This is going to change their relationship, but for the better or worse? He wanted, no needed to tell her. If she was going to be his bride, then she will have to know eventually.

"Okay," Su Hyun decided.

"Close your eyes and don't open them, until I say. Promise me you won't get frightened or disgusted". He told her.

Amari closed her eyes and nodded her head, smiling. "I promise." She told him. "I have already seen it. That's why". She thought.

Su Hyun looked around at his surroundings, making sure no one was around. The two were alone for the time being. They didn't even notice. He inhaled a deep breath, before exhaling. He then started to transform into his actual form, glowing fox body, sharp fangs and talons and all.

"Open." He told her.
Amari slowly opened her eyes and widened them. She knew what was coming but seeing it so close to her was different from witnessing it from the window of his bedroom.

"Y... you're a Gumiho?!" She said, pointing at him, feigning shock.

Su Hyun stayed silent. Amari took that as a yes.

"How? Why? When?"

Amari collapsed to her knees, making Su Hyun chuckle.

"You already knew. When?" He asked her.

"Was my acting that bad?" She asked.

"Yes."

Amari playfully frowned at him. "I witnessed your transformation for the first time when you revealed yourself to Sung Ki. I peeked out the window to see it as it happened".

"Why are you still with me if you knew? Even agreed to go out with me".

Amari smiled at him. "I told you before that I don't care about you being a human or a Gumiho. What matters to me is the type of being you are, and you're not a monster. Look like one but doesn't behave like one. You're still a good person, Hyun-nim. Even though you don't look like one, your behaviors are that of a human, the good kind".

Su Hyun couldn't say anything. Instead, he transformed back and merely stared at her, at a loss for words.

"How do you manage always to drive me to speechlessness?" He asked rhetorically.

"You can say that's my other superhuman ability." She winked at him, making him chuckle to himself and shake his head.

Su Hyun combed through her hair, before softly grazing her cheek. He gently grabbed her chin, lifted it up, slowly leaned forward, making Amari close her eyes, waiting for his kiss before a female voice interrupted them.

"Su Hyun?" Came the female voice, familiar to him.

He frowned and looked behind him to see Ja Kyung. He looked at her confused, along with Amari. She merely smiled at Su Hyun, ignoring Amari's presence.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.7K 1.5K 36
Once, a Nine-Tailed Fox and a human fell in love, but she tragically died in her lover's arms. And for centuries, the Nine-Taled Fox has wandered the...
3.1K 194 15
Two years of working a job she was overqualified for. Ezra had finally had enough! She wanted more for herself and her future. Seeing her boss's girl...
111K 6.8K 60
Daiyu|| noun black jade She is a woman. Insignificant and disposable. -- Akazi is forced with the task of transporting th...
730 25 19
* #1 in Interracialmarriage* This book contains very strong language and well-detailed sex scenes. Read at your own risk. "Ari, I know what you ar...