1. FIGHTER - the maze runner...

By xoAwkwardDiamond

I didn't know what I was really doing most of the time. It may have seemed like I did but to be completely ho... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
SEQUEL
SEQUEL IS UP!

Chapter 4

136K 2.6K 14.4K
By xoAwkwardDiamond

Don't Play - Halsey
__________

      I slept with the calm satisfaction that this place was familiar. I don't understand why it calmed me. I knew it should've scared me; but it didn't. I couldn't come up with a reason as to why the familiarity of this place gave me even a semblance of peace.

I wasn't really sleeping either. Well...I was...but very lightly. It was like half my mind was asleep but the other half was awake.

I couldn't see or feel anything but I heard everything. I heard the distant snores from the boys outside. I heard my slow inhales of air as my figure slept. I heard the gentle breeze that still swayed the trees and whistled through the leaves. I heard the creak of the wood from the walls and floors of Homestead. I heard Newt breathing smoothly from the other side of the room. But the sounds that really frightened me, were the sounds from outside the wall.

There was the sound of metal scraping against concrete like it was being dragged. Then there was a loud repetitive clicking sound. Ending with the sound of whooshing and whirring.

Were those the monsters that Chuck was telling me about? What were they called again...Grievers, I think.

I wonder what they actually look like up close. I mean the way Chuck described the Grievers just made me more curious than scared about the Maze.

Every once and awhile, Ben's screams would sound through Glade but no one was really effected by it.

It was sad.

By the middle of the night, I was still a jumpy mess from the screams. Though I some how managed to fall into a deeper sleep where reality felt like nothing but a dream, and where the screams felt like nothing more than a dog barking in the distance.

I think I had a dream.

I heard voices. Male and female voices. One male. One female.

Like in the box, I couldn't hear what they were saying, but I knew they were having a conversation that was beyond serious. I wanted to yell out at them. Tell them to help me get out of this place, but before I could even think of what to say, the male voice spoke clearly. As if directed to me.

You forgot to tie your boots up...you never listen. The voice chastised me as if speaking to a long-time friend. It made me want to roll my eyes, but before I could even blink, the voices were gone and so were their presences.

Empty. That's what I felt.

I woke up just as the moon settled behind the wall and the sky transitioned into a light purple. I didn't move. I just stared up at the ceiling and counted the many nails that weren't fully hammered into the wood. It's amazing how this building actually stood.

"Good morning, Greenbean." I heard a hush voice say.

I jumped, snapping my head to the left. My cold glare softened when I realized it was Newt waking up. I relaxed into my sleeping bag, letting my nerves settle.

"Morning." I croaked.

"Did you sleep good?" Newt turned onto his side, propping himself up on his right elbow, staring at me with tired eyes.

His morning voice.... My thoughts screamed, while I blinked at Newt.

I quickly shook my head before rolling onto my side and facing Newt, "I was sorta...half asleep and half awake. So...I am pretty tired. Though I don't think I'll be able to get back to sleep any time soon."

Newt nodded before speaking, "Yeah...it happens to most Greenbeans. No worries though. Over time you'll get more comfortable."

The corner of my lip tugged up while my eyes drifted off to some random place on the floor.

I thought back to what I continued hearing last night. The Grievers. I want to ask about them but I mostly wanted to know what they looked like. What kind of beasts were the Gladers dealing with? If I begged Newt for answers, would he give in?

"Whatcha thinkin', Greenie?" Newt's voice pulled me back to reality.

I looked back to him but quickly looked away trying not to get distracted by him.

He now laid on his back with his hands behind his head, stretching his torso and arms. His blanket laid around his hips, exposing his bare chest. His biceps flexed as he woke his muscles, causing my cheeks to turn crimson.

He's flexing on purpose.

I feel it.

I scratched the side of my head, purposely staring at the wall while trying to distract myself from the attractive shirtless boy that was stretching in the sleeping bag next to mine.

"I- uh...I was just-t thinking about...uh...something that Chuck said yesterday." I stammered trying to collect and steady my words as much as possible.

Newt suddenly froze, staring at me with curious eyes, "What'd the little bugger tell you?"

"The Grievers. He didn't tell me a heck of a lot but it was enough to make me curious." I told truthfully, hoping that Chuck doesn't get in trouble for me ratting to Newt.

"Well, don't." Newt said sharply, sitting up straight.

My brows furrowed together in confusion at the boy's sudden mood swing, "Excuse me?"

"Ever heard the saying, 'Curiosity killed the cat'? Well, in this case, you'll wish you've been bloody killed after coming across one of them shucking Grievers. They don't just kill you. They torture you. And they don't do it because their tummy is a rumblin'. No. They do it for sport. They do it 'cause they can," Newt stared into my eyes, sending waves of terror down my spine, "They're monsters, Ame. Bloody monsters."

I watched him carefully, studying his every move. Fear tore at my chest, my exhales wavering as I felt my heart go out for this man. He's been here too long. Too long for his own good.

My gaped jaw slowly closed as I diverted my eyes away from the blonde boy. I whispered to him quietly, feeling guilty and anxious that I set him off into this fearful mindset, "Sorry for mentioning it. I didn't mean to upset you. I was just...curious to know what they were."

I laid myself back down, gazing back up at the unsteady ceiling, feeling the slightest bit of dread sprint through my veins, erasing all the tranquil thoughts of familiarity.

I heard a sigh of aggravation come from Newt before seeing him stand up and walk towards the leather trunk. I gazed over to him, watching intently how he opened the trunk and pulled out a white, long, puffy blouse. He quickly pulled the shirt on over his head, then slipped his shoes on.

"Where are you going?" I asked, curiously, worried he was upset with me for bringing up my plaguing thoughts.

"You wanna know what a Griever is? Then let's go see one. Throw on your boots." Newt stated, tying up his boots with a huff.

My eyebrows shot up at Newt's blunt attempt to cure my curiosity while I rolled myself out of the silky covers, and shuffled towards my boots.

Grabbing my thin leather jacket that I had thrown onto the floor yesterday, I slipped it over my arms not bothering to zip it up.

I reached for my boots, pulling them towards me before I noticed something that is considered insignificant to most.

The shoe laces were untied.

It wouldn't have bothered me like yesterday, but after having that strange dream last night, it made me a little unsettled. The voices sounded close, like they were in the same room. Not to mention that boy's voice. How did he know about my shoelaces being untied? His voice. Why did it sound so familiar? Could it have been my conscience lecturing me to tie my shoes?

"What's wrong, Greenie?" Newt questioned.

"M-my boots.... They're...they're untied." I breathed.

Newt sent me a side glance, more than likely questioning my sanity. Though he easily shrugged it off, and continued to buckle up his belt.

I slid on my boots loosely before tying them up tightly, double-knotting the shoelaces so that they won't become undone again.

Hopefully, my strange conscience will be at ease now. I thought tentatively, brushing off last night's dream.

Newt and I walked out of a Homestead, having to step over several sleeping bodies before stalking over to one of the walls. The walls were still closed, causing my heart to clench at the idea of being trapped in here forever.

Newt walked over to a wall of ivy that seemed to be thicker than the others.

"What're we doing here, Newt?" I asked, throwing an unintentional dash of sass into my tone.

"Shh," Newt shushed me with a pointed look, then said in a low whisper, "You're curious about the Grievers, well...now you won't have anymore questions after this. Just don't klunk your pants when you see one."

I was about to retort back but Newt cut me off when he pulled the curtain of ivy back, exposing a thick yellow, mildew-covered window. It was hard to see out of but I guess you could see a little clearer if you like...pressed your face against it.

Which is exactly what Newt did.

He looked through the window, his forehead resting on the glass, his nose barely skimming it.

I watched his eyes intently. I saw his eyes grazing every nook and cranny of the place beyond the window.

Finally, his brown eyes froze in it's spot, finding whatever his eyes were searching for.

He stood up straight, then without removing his gaze, he waved me over, stepping back to give me room to look out.

I was scared. I'll admit that. But I didn't show it.

I just strolled over with a curious look.

I copied Newt's position to the window, and stared out. There wasn't a heck of a lot. A few walls with thick and thin vines decorating the concrete, shadows draping the floors like carpets. I could only see a dark corridor, the vague sunlight dawning over the top of the walls and poking at the harsh shadows.

It took me a second to realize that I was peering out into the Maze, staring only at one long corridor.

I stared out a little longer, only seeing shadows and concrete. I was about to stand straight again but then...

I saw it.

It creeped down the corridor on six legs, slime oozing off of the beast and coating the poor concrete beneath it. The dawning sun glistened off of the metallic legs and machinery that protruded from its large sluggish body. Whirring came from the slightest of movements, an eerie clicking coming from the back of its throat. It's head was small but it's eyes were piercing, gnashing it's honed teeth at anything that moved or shimmered in the morning glow.

It was a monster. An actual monster.

A gasp left my lips, air trapped in my throat, horrified at the creature before me.

Grievers. I thought as icy terror shivered across my frozen form.

The beast's soulless gaze scoured the corridor for any sign of life, it's movements slow and chilling. It's metallic legs crept heavily across the concrete floor, it's slimy tail dragging horribly behind it.

I've never seen anything like it before.

Then, in the middle of searching, it's sharp beady eyes fell onto the window.

I stopped breathing, it's harsh inhuman gaze solely on me—staring like it could see my very soul.

Suddenly, it's jaw slacked and a sharp earth-shattering scream came from its grisly mouth. 

It echoed off the walls, reverberating through the Maze and barely exuding into the Glade.

Then, with ghastly speed, the monster began sprinting towards the window—towards me.

It was gaining speed.

My heart pulsated aggressive against my ribcage, as if trying to run away from the beast itself. My curious expression was gone, replaced with panic and terror.

It was a few feet away.

I wanted to step back, or move away from the window but I was frozen. My feet felt like lead, weighing me down.

All I did was stare, watching the beast inch closer and closer to the window, bloodlust swirling its lifeless eyes—for my blood.

Come on, Ame, move!

Then, the Griever launched forwards, ramming it's monstrous head into the thick window.

A sharp gasp left me as it collided into the window. I pushed myself away from the window, stumbling back into Newt's body.

He gripped my shoulders as the Griever continued to ram its body into the window, snarls and aggressive thuds coming from behind the thick plaster.

Would the it break? Could it?

No. The window looks like it has been here for awhile. I reassured myself.

The Griever must've been trying really hard to get in this time, because every few seconds there was a loud thump followed by the sound of it's wired legs hitting the concrete before another loud thump. Every thump and snarl that echoed from behind the window made my heart skip a beat. I wanted to leave but I was strangely fascinated by this highly disturbing moment. I was frozen with dread but again, my risky curiosity got the best of me.

"See, Greenie. Those things are deadly. They will go to any measurement to get one lick of your blood." Newt told over the loud thumps from the window.

The sun rose during those ten minutes of us just staring at the ivy-covered window, and many of the boys began to wake up. Eventually, the loud thumps came to a slow stop, allowing me to realize how badly I was shaking.

My whole body trembled.

If I hadn't been behind the glass.... I shook the thought.

I felt Newt's grip on my shoulders, sending me a comforting and reassuring squeeze. He waited patiently for me to steady my breathing, only letting go when I unconsciously walked towards the window. I pulled the curtain of vines back and stared through the window, shaking with anxiety.

I scanned the area once again, only finding the shrinking shadows and cracking concrete. Though, just in the last second, I watched a the Griever round the corner of a wall, disappearing into the morning light with a flick of its tail...or, uh—claw.

I took an unsteady step back, letting the vines drape over the window once again. I turned back to Newt, awkwardly, gnawing on my bottom lip. I half expected to see Newt with an I-told-you-so smirk, but as my eyes rose to his face, my heart warmed at the sympathetic and apologetic smile directed only to me. His eyes nervously glanced into mine for a moment before gazing down to his feet.

"I'm sorry for being so harsh on ya'. I just wanted to prove to you how dangerous our curiosity can be. But I shouldn't have done it this way. I'm sorry, Greenie." Newt licked his lips, his brown eyes only glancing at me for quick seconds before looking anywhere else. He played with his hands as he patiently waited for me to respond.

I blinked at Newt in awe, my ears heating up slightly.

"Don't worry about it. Besides...at least you answered one of my questions." I played, a gentle smile curling onto my cheeks.

Newt's nervous expression melted into a soft grin. We shared silent forgiving smiles towards each other for a few seconds before Newt scoffed lightly, patting my arms, friendly. "Good that, Greenbean. So, now that everyone's up, you feelin' hungry?"

Newt nodded towards Homestead where most of the boys groggily shuffled into the first floor.

To answer his question, my stomach lurched letting out a loud, hungry growl.

We both paused, chuckling at the perfect timing.

"If that wasn't a good enough answer then yes, I'm hungry. In fact, now that you pretty much scared me half to death, I'm...uh...shucking starving." I emphasized their slang, partly saying it as a joke and partly seeing how it felt on my tongue.

Newt friendly grin slowly rose into an amused smile before it grew into big fits of loud laughter. My ears rung at his melodic laugh. I was confused as to why he was laughing though, but I ended up smiling a little in return.

"What?" I chuckled with furrowed brows.

Newt opened his mouth to answer but all that came out was more laughter. He gripped his knees as he tried to collect his breath and his laughter.

"What's so funny?" I demanded with a chuckle.

"It's so funny when you try to use Glader-slang! Highlight the word try." Newt laughed, nearly falling to the ground.

At the realization of his fits, my confused expression dropped as I deadpanned. I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms, waiting patiently for him to calm down.

After another two minutes, I finally cracked, grinning at Newt's adorable cackles, "Oh, shut up! It wasn't even that funny."

"When you've lived here for as long as I have, you'll understand." Newt took deep breaths to calm down while having small giggle fits in the middle of his sentence.

My smile faded as I realized that Newt and many of the others had actually been here for a long time. At least, I believe so. If one Glader comes up a month and there's about fifty to sixty boys here, that means for the majority of them, they've been here for more than a year.

I looked around at the society these boys have made. Everything had a system and order. There was justice and law. Anything that a real society needed was already here.

These young men have been trapped here for so long that they had to create a system in order to move forward. Meaning, they've been trapped in this Maze, working all day, waiting for what? For someone to find a way out?

Newt must've noticed my sudden grave look because I no longer heard his angelic laughter.

"Ame, I—" Newt started.

"Newt, how old do I look?" I interrupted, suddenly nervous for the answer.

Newt was slightly taken aback by my question. It was so out-of-the-blue that it even took me by surprise.

"What?" Newt blinked.

"How old do I look?" I asked again, standing straight, holding out my arms.

Newt scanned my body and my features, trying to make a mental estimate of my age. His eyes trailed over my frame, and I couldn't help but notice his pinking cheeks and sheepish gaze.

I grew a little self-conscious at his observant eyes, my nervous gaze flickering anywhere else as I ignored my stirring stomach.

Newt studied my face, tilting his head side-to-side before speaking, "Seventeen, I think. Seventeen at the most."

Seventeen. That's it? I'm just a teenager. Everyone here was only a teenager...we're just kids.

My chest swarmed with cool anxiety, more questions poking and prodding at my scattered brain.

"How old were you when you first got here?" I pushed, pressing my lips shut, thoughtfully.

Newt dragged a large hand through his shaggy blonde hair, looking irritated, "Ame, you know you're breakin' the first rule Alby-"

"I don't care," I interrupted, closing my eyes.

Opening them again, my desperate gaze sunk right into pools of conflict, "I'm sick of the secrecy and it's barely been a day. When you first showed up here, don't tell me you didn't have any questions."

Newt gazed away from my stubborn eyes, silent as he mentally determined whether he should give in or not. He turned to me but kept his gaze to the ground,  clenching his jaw, "Alby said—"

"Newt," I said softly, taking a closer step forward, trying to tilt my eyes to meet his, "Put yourself in my shoes. Imagine if you were me. Surrounded by people with most of the answers to your questions."

Newt stared off at my feet, sucking in a breath. I held a strong but pleading expression on my face, actually begging the Brit for answers.

"I was sixteen," Newt spoke softly, never moving his gaze from the ground, "I was sixteen when we first got here. At least, I think. No one here really knows their age. I was one of the first Gladers in Glade. They sent groups of us at first. We didn't know what to do. What to think. We had no memory of our lives. Only our buggin' names...like you. Every week came supplies and every month came a newbie. Sent through that bloody Box. So...we worked with what we got and we did what we had to do. We tried to escape every way possibly. But it always ended up with someone injured or dead. So...our last option was going through the Maze. It's been two years. Two shucking years in this bloody Maze. And we still haven't found a way out."

My heart stopped.

He answered more questions than I asked, I realized as I stared at his solemn face trapped in a memory.

Newt glanced towards my dumbfounded face, dragging a hand through his hand.

"No more questions for now, l'right?" He said, softly.

I nodded, wordlessly, too shocked to say anything else.

Two years. Two years since the first Gladers showed up. And two years since they began their trek to find a way out. And still no progress.

To fracture my anxious thoughts and throw me back into reality, Ben screamed. It echoed across the Glade like a siren before being interrupted by the Doors screeching open for the day.

Both made my heart lurch into my throat, but I didn't have a flip like yesterday when I thought the world was gonna end. Of course, the sensory overload wasn't much help to my ever growing anxiety and terror.

Once the walls were fully opened and the sound became only a slight hum and ring, my overwhelmed and perturbed gaze flickered across the Glade.

"This really is hell." I uttered, uneasily.

Newt chortled slightly from behind, before patting my shoulder gently, "Let's go get some breakfast. Before Chuck eats all the bacon."

A tiny smile curled up onto my left cheek at the thought of my young and joyful friend.

Friend.

Newt and Chuck.

My only friends.

That'll hopefully change over time. I thought to myself as I walked towards Homestead with Newt at my side.

Watching as I slipped into my thoughts, he nudged my side playfully, in attempt to distract me. I smiled slightly at his attempts, but still felt my thoughts cloud my mind.

Once we were inside, I grabbed a tray and walked towards the kitchen that stood in the back of the Homestead.

Waiting in line was entertaining. A handful of Gladers tried to make conversations with me.

Of course, after the terrifying episode with the Griever that morning, I really didn't feel like talking to anyone. It was all so overwhelming.

Yet, I didn't want to be ignorant and brush them off, so I just gave them single-worded answers while smiling and nodding. But I have to admit, they were all pretty funny and most of them were kind.

Newt was speaking with a few others in line, talking about maps, I believe.

I wasn't really focusing on his conversation, I was more focused on the smell of this bacon that was cooking. It was heavenly.

I was one person away from getting my bacon and eggs when an Asian boy about my age with big muscles and spiky hair cut me off.

"Hey, Fry, I need you to pack me three extra sandwiches. A few more guys plan on hitchin' along this run. Annoying Shanks. They finally made up their shuck minds three minutes ago just as we were all ready to go. Man...I was this close to beating the klunk out of one of them." Spiky Hair ranted with a slight pant.

The boy who I assume is named "Frypan", nodded giving Spiky Hair a slight smirk and a chuckle while walking off to the back.

I stood there with an annoyed look, throwing my head back, my hair landing in my eyes. I blew them out of my face, making it sound like I was letting out an annoyed huff.

Which I wanted to do, as well.

But I didn't.

However, Spiky Hair heard it and turned to me. Once his dark brown eyes landed on me, he smirked, leaning his arm against the wooden wall.

I gave him a pulled smile that clearly said, "I don't wanna talk, leave". But obviously, he didn't get the hint and began talking to me.

"Hey, Greenie. How you liking your stay at Lacosta de Glade?" Spiky Hair smirked, raising an eyebrow.

"Oh, it's just dandy." I smiled tightly, words laced with sarcasm as a bitter feeling nagged at my brain, wanting to push Spiky Hair out of the way.

I was real hungry.

Spiky Hair sent a wide smirk at me before asking with a nod, "Oh yeah? What's been your favorite part?" He definitely felt my sarcasm. Heck, I think he was feeding off of it by the way he was smirking at me. It made me even more bitter.

I scoffed in return before speaking with sarcastic enthusiasm, adding a fake smile as I taped my foot impatiently, "There's so many good memories! Which one to choose? I mean, I love arriving to places in a box-lift like baggage and then immediately being dibbed on by pubescents that can call me hot but can't tell me what the hell is going on. And-oh! I would have to say, being cut off in the food line by sweaty, spiky-haired boys that prevent me from receiving my food as quick as possible. That's pretty fantastic, too."

Spiky Hair stood quiet for a moment before busting out into hardy chuckles, throwing his hands onto his stomach. Everyone in Homestead went silent for a moment, watching Spiky Hair slapped his knee as he proceeded to cackle.

He wiped away a tear as he calmed his hysteria, giggling fondly, "I like you. I like your view of the situation. You ain't a softy like most of these shanks."

I smirked back raising my eyebrows saying with sarcasm lacing my voice, "Thanks. Means a lot coming from you."

Spiky Hair's smirk widened before laughing and slinging an arm over my shoulders, "I have a feeling we're gonna be great friends."

"Think so, huh?" I smirked back.

"Oh, hun...I know so." Spiky Hair spoke smugly.

I stared up at the Spiky Hair dude, liking him more and more already.

"I'm Minho." He held out a hand to me, taking his arm off my shoulders.

"Ame." I shook his hand.

He flashed me a pearly white smile before Frypan came back from the kitchen holding three sandwiches. He handed them to Minho with a smile while saying, "Good luck in the Maze today."

Minho thanked him and began walking away. But then...it hit me. "Runners"—I remembered Chuck mentioning them yesterday. They were the ones allowed in the Maze. The ones that search for a way out.

My eyes widened and I quickly reached out and grabbed Minho's shoulder, spinning him around. He faced me with a slightly surprised but smug look.

"May I help you?" He smirked.

"You're...you're a Runner?" I questioned stupidly.

"Yup." Minho smiled proudly, popping the 'P'. Before turning around and striding out of Homestead.

I stared at where he used to stand, dumbfounded that he just left before turning back around to face Frypan.

Before I could even get a word in, Frypan smiled and spoke up, "So you're the famous Ame I heard so much about?"

"Yep. And you must be the famous Frypan I heard about. Well...you and your bacon." I smiled crookedly back, feeling my stomach grumble.

"That's me. My bacon is a pretty big hit." Frypan grinned, placing a plate filled with bacon and two cooked eggs onto my tray.

"Thanks." I smiled, giving him a nod.

He grinned in returned as I began walking away.

I'm going to devour this plate.

"Ame, wait!" I heard Frypan call me.

Turning around, I gazed at him curiously, arching a brow.

The cook waved me over with the spatula, making it almost look comical. Suspiciously, I teetered towards him, wondering what on earth he would what to talk to me about.

Is he gonna give me more bacon?

That'd be a nice welcome gift.

He leaned over the counter, gripped my shoulder gently and smiled, "I voted that you were good."

I paused in confusion, before remembering the Gathering.

A genuine smile curled onto my cheeks, my chest warm with appreciation. Nodding gratefully, I whispered, "Thank you."

Frypan gave me a goofy grin, swinging the spatula around his index finger before winking and turning to the boy next in line.

Uplifted and smiling, I stalked out of Homestead.

There were a bunch of picnic tables dotted around the front of the wooden structure, most occupied with boys waving me over. I politely smiled but then, I noticed that there was a handful of them that glared at me.

Watching me with dislikable suspicion and detest.

Furrowing my brows and facing forward, I ignored the spiteful glances and focused on finding either an empty picnic table or my young friend.

Some think change is bad. I remembered, feeling their scornful stares poke at my skin.

I looked around before spotting Chuck sitting alone at a broken picnic table furthest from Homestead, his back facing me as he gleefully munched on his eggs.

Then, I had an idea.

A mischievous smile crossed my face as I slowly creeped up toward Chuck. I took slow cautious steps toward the boy, trying to be as quiet as possible.

Then once I was right behind his back, I jumped up and screamed, "What're you doing!"

Chuck jumped and accidentally fell out of his seat and onto his back. I placed my tray on the table, laughing at the scared Chuck.

"Chuck...you're face was...priceless!" I spoke between fits of laughter.

But my laughter soon faded when I realized...

Chuck was choking.

"Chuck?" I paused as the boy continued to gag and cough, "Oh shit, Chuck!"

Leaving my tray, I dropped to the ground next to him, clueless as to what I should do. I pressed my hand to my forehead, racking my brain on how I could help.

My mouth went dry and I was frozen in terror. I made the kid choke on his own food.

"Oh my—Chuck!" I shook him, not knowing what else to do.

Suddenly, his choking turned into laughter while he rolled over looking at me and pointing a finger at my face.

"You should've seen your face! It...was...priceless!" Chuck laughed, rolling around on the ground.

I stared at him in pure horror, inwardly trying to calm myself down from the panic attack that began to fester.

But I soon joined in, collapsing to the ground next to him and rolling around laughing at how quickly my scare towards Chuck became a scare towards me.

Once our genuine laughter died down and turned only into little giggle fits, I pointed my finger at Chuck, "You...are a little...a little—"

"Shank?" Chuck said for me with a snicker.

"Yeah!" I laughed.

"If you wanna see a good prank, follow me after breakfast. It's so funny!" Chuck laughed helping me up.

All through breakfast, we talked about different pranks and which would be good victims.

And Chuck was right! The bacon is awesome!

After breakfast, I followed Chuck around Glade, still giggling about the pranks we pulled on each other earlier, mimicking one another's face and expression.

Right now, we were hiding behind a tree beside the outhouse. Whoever the poor sob was inside, was about to get a disturbing surprise.

"Okay, so on the count of three we run over and shake it. Got it?" Chuck whispered with playful mischief twinkling in his youthful eyes.

I gave him a thumbs up, waiting for the countdown to begin.

"One..." Chuck began giggling a little between each number.

"Two..." I sniggered into the sleeve of my leather jacket, waiting for the time to run.

"Three!" Chuck hissed running towards the outhouse.

I followed behind Chuck, pumping my legs as adrenaline lit up limbs, a gleeful and giddy feeling tickling my chest while I giggled like a child.

I gripped the corners while Chuck gripped the other side. Then we shook it with as much force as we could muster without trying to make it fall over.

We heard water splash from inside the outhouse and shouts of confusion from the victim. We shook it for a few seconds, suppressing our buoyant giggles and impish snickers.

Then, we released the outhouse, watching it wiggle to a complete stop as the victim released a loud grunt.

"Run!" Chuck suddenly whispered, disappearing behind the tree-line.

I raced after him before ducking behind the tree I originally hid behind, releasing tiny childlike giggles as I watched Chuck retreat behind a tree farther away.

Once again, Chuck was right. This was fun.

I slide down the tree, throwing my hands over my mouth to keep myself from exploding with laughter and giving away our position.

Then, from beyond the tree-line, an angry roar echoed from our miserable victim as he emerged from the outhouse, followed by the priceless squish squish from their soaked shoes.

"Who's out there? Show yourselves!" The victim hollered angrily.

That voice.... My eyes widened and I was having an even harder time keeping myself from laughing out loud.

The voice belonged to Gally.

My laughter couldn't hold itself anymore and I ended up giggling insanely.

It didn't help when the squish squish of their shoes continued to grow louder the closer Gally paced to me. It was comedically horrifying.

Albeit, my laughing became silent and my face dropped.

Ah, shit.

I stood with hesitation, adrenaline pumping through my nervous veins. Then, just as I was about to round the tree and apologies to Gally, I felt a rough hand grab my shoulder.

They shoved me back against the tree, making yelp in surprise.

Gally stood in front of me, gripping my shoulder. He was soaked with water. His face was comforted with vexation and outrage—which is very reasonable.

"Oh, hey, Gally." I smiled at him nonchalantly.

Play it cool. Keep Chuck out of this. I thought to myself.

He growled, "You think this is funny?"

"I think it's hilarious." I smiled, nodding.

"Well how 'hilarious' will it be when I bust your lip?" Gally snarled.

Gladers which heard the commotion, slowly formed a circle around us, watching in anticipation to what will happen to the only girl in the Glade.

I scoffed at Gally, lifting my eyebrows as I tried to remain calm, "Well, aren't you a gentleman."

He scowled, speaking in a low tetchy voice, "I know you from somewhere. Not just from yesterday. I saw you in the Changing. You ain't good. And I am very willing to get rid of anyone that is a danger to Glade."

The Changing? I thought to myself. He saw me in the Changing?

I squinted my eyes at him in pure confusion and frustration, "Hun, I don't care about your fantasies about me."

Gally growled once again, gritting his teeth in chagrin, but before he could speak, Chuck pushed his way through the crowd of Gladers.

"Gally, the prank was my idea. Ame was just laughing at something I said earlier." Chuck explained.

Gally and I stared at the kid, both of us taken aback by his bold statement. Gally narrowed his fuming gaze on the child, while I shook my head slightly and watched him with wide eyes.

However, Gally was easily convinced. With a shove, he pushed me away and began marching towards Chuck.

His trek traced with the inappropriately hilarious squish squish.

Chuck took a few steps back but gave up knowing that Gally could easily catch up even if he did run away. But I wasn't going to let that jerk hurt my new friend.

I watched as Gally gripped the collar of Chuck's shirt, reeling back his right hand into a fist.

Chuck had a mixture of fear and courage in his eyes, but I knew the kid must be terrified on the inside.

My feet moved briskly across the grass.

Roughly grabbing Gally's wrist to prevent it from levitating forwards, I twisted him around and shoved his chest, pushing the bully away before he could harm my young friend.

"You don't touch him." I growled through clenched teeth, standing in front of Chuck protectively.

From my peripheral vision, I watched Alby and Newt push their way to the front of the group, and I was absolutely grateful. However, just as Newt was about to step forward and stop the fight, Alby held a hand up in front of him, telling him to let me handle my own problems.

Asshole. I thought while inwardly glaring at Alby.

I turned my attention back to the fuming and soaked Gally once again, glaring stubbornly at his irksome face. He looked at me indignantly before laughing with humorlessly.

"That's pretty bold for a woman of your height and no fighting skills. I applaud you on that. But you're in the Glade now, lady shank. You want to live with us then you're gonna be treated like one of us. So, in this instance, Chuck confessed to...this," he gestured to his soaked clothing, "being his idea. In the Glade, he deserves what's coming to him, Greenie. I suggest getting out of my way so I can follow the order...and teach him a lesson." Gally jeered.

Gritting my teeth together, my eyes remained narrow on the towering bully. His reasoning made sense but Chuck didn't deserve it. That's not how you actually deal with issues. Especially when it's a harmless prank like this. I would possibly understand if Gally was hurt in the process but he wasn't. All he wants to do is refill his damaged ego.

At the thought of Gally's idea of justice to Chuck, I clenched my fists to contain my retort bubbling up inside of me and remained firm in my place in front of Chuck.

Gally must've noticed my white knuckles and my defensive stance, misinterpreting it completely. This made him laugh cooly, "Really? You wanna fight me?"

My face shrunk into one of confusion at his assumption, wondering for a moment where he got that from before realizing that it was just him and I standing in the middle of a Glader circle, both of our fists clenched.

Shit.

He laughed, amused at the situation, before slowly stalking forwards, taunting me, "C'mon, Greenie. I know you want to fight me. Let's face it. You hate me after yesterday. So, punch me. Just do it, Greenbean. Do it. I know you won't. Don't you think? C'mon, lady shank. Just do it."

Gally stopped inches in front of my face, hunching his back to actually come face-to-face with me. He held out his arms, daring me to hit his face. Oh I wanted to. I was tempted and burning with the constant poke of his taunts. I was very uncomfortable with his presence in my personal bubble but I refused to move. I didn't even flinch when he began to chuckle in my face.

He leaned back moving away from my face with a smug look, shrugging his shoulders, "I knew you wouldn't do it. You can't. It hasn't even been your first day yet, you're still scared klunk-less. You're scared of me. That's why you can't do it. Even though you don't like me- hate me- despise me. You still can't do it. Because you're scared. Because you're a girl," Gally began to gaze at the Gladers around him, as if telling them how weak I was, "I dare you to do it. I shucking dare you to prove me wrong, lady shank. I know you won't. How could you? You don't have the guts! You don't have the bal-"

I cut him off when one of my fists connected with his nose. Gally flew back and landed on his arse. He held his nose, flailing around on the ground yelling muffled curses at me. I stared in shock at him. I didn't even see that coming.

Oh my god, I punched him.

I held my right hand in my left, trying to hide the fact that my right hand was throbbing and more likely bruised. I was shocked but I remained stone in my expressions, continuing to glare at the flailing boy.

I noticed some Gladers had the same shocked expression on their face while some laughed or grinned in astonishment. I looked down at Chuck who was laughing with a surprised expression.

"Nice punch, Ame." Chuck smiled to me.

I smiled nervously back, before looking back at Gally. Some of his friends helped him stand up while Gally still cried like a baby.

He turned to me, using his left hand to hold his nose and his right had to point to me, "You'll regret that, Ame!"

His friends pulled him away and towards Homestead, glaring at me the entire time.

"But you told me to!" I shouted after his already distant form, my voice somewhat taunting as a small grin tugged on my left cheek.

Several Gladers stopped in front of me, telling me how awesome and unexpected that was—patting me on the shoulder or high-fiving me before returning to their daily routines.

I couldn't help but feel really good about it. I punched an asshole and I got congratulated for it.

Though, everyone soon cleared from the area, leaving Chuck, Alby, Newt, and I alone.

I glanced up at Alby apprehensively, realizing how I'll either be chastised or receive some snarky comment that'll put me in a bad or perplexed mood.

Finally I took a deep breath and looked up at Alby nervously, failing to look nonchalant, "Pfft, hey, Alby. Didn't—I didn't see you there."

Alby had his arms crossed and had an eyebrow raised, tense silence drifting over the four of us. A full minute passed by, but I still fiddled with my hands and chewed on my bottom lip sheepishly. I felt like a child waiting to get a grounding from their parent while they got the stink-eye that said, "Really?"

Finally, after what felt like years, Alby spoke up, "What did I tell you about making more enemies?"

"You didn't say anything about making enemies, you just said to stay out of trouble. And technically, I didn't make more enemies, I just added more fire to the fiery-hatred my first enemy had since yesterday." I muttered, scratching the back of my neck.

Alby rolled his eyes while Chuck snickered and Newt grinned. Alby strolled over to me, grabbed my elbow, then began to drag me along with him.

Slightly shocked, I spoke, "W-where are we going?"

"It's Tour Time, lady shank." Alby told, releasing my elbow.

A confused expression scrunched up my face at how quickly Alby just brushed off the fight between Gally and I. Still flustered and overwhelmed by the very recent event—and feeling the sting of my fist—I awkwardly smiled at Alby. I was bittersweet about the tour. Mostly because my hand ached, my heart felt like it was going to pounce out of my chest, and I really just wanted to sit down for a bit.

But at least I'm getting some answers. I thought to myself, hopefully.

Though I was excited for some answers on the Glade, more questions arose in my mind.

What did Gally mean? What's the Changing? How could he possibly know me?

It just seemed like the longer I was here, the more questions I had. And with every answer, ten more questions came out of it.

This place is exhausting. I thought.

__________________
Gif and song are not mine!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31K 1.4K 21
Luna Louve is introduced to the world of Instagram and connects with the pack online. Now that Theo's gone, she also decides to write her own journa...
31.3K 386 25
"𝙄 𝙙𝙞𝙙 𝙞𝙩 𝙩𝙤 𝙨𝙖𝙫𝙚 𝙮𝙤𝙪, 𝙉𝙚𝙬𝙩! 𝙎𝙤 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙖𝙡𝙡 𝙤𝙛 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙘𝙤𝙪𝙡𝙙 𝙜𝙚𝙩 𝙤𝙪𝙩 𝙤𝙛 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙢𝙖𝙯𝙚!" "𝙉𝙤, 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩'𝙨...
82.5K 3.4K 20
❝ i'm just a teenage dirtbag, baby ❞ - 𝗜𝗡 𝗪𝗛𝗜𝗖𝗛... a boy who is the equivalent to a teenage dirtbag and has nightmares falls in love with t...
1.2M 32.2K 80
"In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how well you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Book 1. Di...