Rebellion

By Reed-ink

Prolific Author - Dayo Tijani has returned home to Nigeria from the United States, after invoking a one-year... More

Rebellion
Foreword
Prologue
1. Fairy Tale
2. Unlike Poles
3. The Meet
4. Fading Void
5. Collision Course
6. Projection
7. Accidentally On Purpose
8. Pillowtalk
9. Catastrophizing
10. Two To Tango
11. Date Protocol
12. Triggers
13. Blunt Adhesion
14. The Easy Part
15. Black Mirror
16. The Plunge
17. Paradise
18. Monument Point
19. Clean Slate
21. Deuce
22. Faith in Fate
23. Old Flame
24. Heart Strings
25. Rebels
Epilogue
Author's Note
Project '18
Lake County
Black Rose
Resurgence
Revolt
The Gentleman's Guide To Wooing A Lady
Black Rose
Tinted Scars
Update Your Library
musings of a jaded poet
Singing Tendrils

20. Blank Space

1.1K 189 98
By Reed-ink

Everyone’s allowed to be in love with the wrong person at some point. In fact, it’s a mistake not to be.” – Harriet Evans.

•••

Mr. Tijani, what are your plans now that you’ve returned to the country once again…”

“Just about a year ago, you took off after a month without reason and here you are once more…”

“Are you going to be around for another month, before you take off…”

Dayo maneuvered through hordes of press staff and media, in the arrival lounge. Damn it, he thought. Where the hell was Victor? He was supposed to have arrived about an hour ago, just like he had promised. Well, he wasn’t surprised. He knew better than to trust his best-friend with matters pertaining to punctuality.

Should have sucked it up and called – Deji, instead.

He and his younger brother weren’t on the best of terms, ever since his past departure. Matter of fact, he wasn’t really on good terms with any member of his family anymore. Except Dolapo, who still found time to call him, but she was just seventeen and a fresh-man in college. She didn’t have a license yet.

“Hey, you’re back so early!” A voice from behind brought his mind back to the present, and he wore a frown as he turned around.

“I should be the one saying that, Vic.” Dayo growled. “And my tone should be laced with sarcasm, because well you’re way behind schedule.”

“Don’t blame me, how am I sure you wouldn’t decide out of the blues to stay put in the US.” Victor smirked, and motioned to the barricade of men to fend the press off. At least he had done something reasonable in the compensation of his lateness, Dayo thought. “You know the same way you decided to take off last year after you got your heart broken.”

Don’t be melodramatic,” Dayo said, as they commenced the short walk to the garage of the airport. “You’re not my mom or girlfriend, who I have to keep on apologizing for a deed of the past. If you can’t get over with it, and move on then that’s your problem.”

“Perhaps, I should get it over with, move on and leave you stranded here in the airport then at the mercy of the mob.” Victor joked, a devilish smile dancing at the edges of his lips. “Anyway, how long do you intend on staying this time around. Or rather, how long do you intend on tricking us, before you take off again?”

“Once again, if you can’t get it over with, You know what not to do.” Dayo quipped, invoking a light chuckle from his friend. “I’m back for real, Vic. Like for real. The only time I’d be leaving this country, is when I want to take a break. You know like a vacation of the sorts, I want to settle down finally.”

“Really,” Victor’s nose scrunched. They were in the garage already – headed towards a segment of cars. “What about your books? You don’t need to be there, anymore?”

“Nope, I reached a deal with Penguin.” Dayo cleared his throat. About a year ago, when he returned to US and to former agency – Harper Collins, to resume his work; the agency hadn’t been so hot on the new idea of his book. His change of genre, and so they had turned the manuscript down despite his success status in the company. He was bewildered, and took off straight to the nearest house interested and that was Penguin.

“I don’t need to be there to pen a book. All I have to do is write, and collate through online means with my editor.”

“And this individual happily accepted the nature of such stress?”

“She is a friend,” Dayo smiled. Brenda had done the wildly honorable thing and had taken off from HC also, despite the fact that there was no guarantee Penguin would offer her employment. But Dayo had insisted that she had to be his editor, if he was ever going to work with them and they had agreed after much negotiation and compromise.

“Besides, I’m not trying to boast or anything, but it’s not everyday she’d find an author of my status to work with. I’m pretty much the biggest person, she’s going to work with. Further more, the huge success of – Nuclear, has now cemented her as one of the most renowned editors of the new age. She isn’t in my shadow anymore.”

“Nuclear, huh? It’s been a while since a book has been that Nuclear.” Victor commended. Nuclear, was the title of his most recent work, which was the Romance book centralized on the struggle and strain of a relationship involving two individuals of differing personalities. The book went on to defy all odds, and even his expectations. It sold over Thirty million copies worldwide and also went on to snag him a handful amount of literary laurels. It was his first work which was both a critical and of course – a financial success.

“Victor, giving me a compliment. Hmm.” Dayo’s brows rose as they finally came to a halt in front of the familiar – Range Rover Sport 2017. “A lot must have changed in the past year. But not important things such as the model of this car for instance, since this is 2018.”

“Hey, replace your car on your own time and money.” Victor snarled, shoving the car keys in his face as the men he brought along – loaded his luggage into the car. “Just like you said earlier, I’m not your mom or girl-friend. I see no concrete reason why I should take up such responsibility.”

“You’re not even going to drive?” Dayo stared blankly at the keys in his hands, as his friend went around the car to get on board. “Later they’d ask me why I’m always so anxious to ask you for help.”

“I know right? Beats me too.” Victor scoffed, just as he got into the car also. Dayo shot a backward glance at the trio of men, who stood static behind the vehicle. “Aren’t we going to give them a ride?”

“You tell me, I’m not the owner of the car.” His friend shrugged. “I paid them to come fend the mob off, not to enjoy free services. So if you feel the need to take them wherever they’re going because you know, you have nothing tangible to do with your time and you’re not exhausted from your flight, which BTW their destination is in separate places – well go on ahead. Just keep in mind that I paid them, okay? So you’re still going to pay me back. So can you see? You’re paying them to butter them up? I don’t think so.”

Dayo’s glare drilled imaginary holes into his friend’s temple. “You couldn’t have just said, they wouldn’t be needing the ride? And BTW, I’m not paying you shit. You come over the way here to welcome me, and you can’t even drive. You should be happy I’m not dropping you off with the rest of the men standing outside. Which BTW, me taking you back home – acts as a payment for your money. So if you want actual money, you could get down and join the cool guys outside.”

“And deprive you of my company?” Victor shook his head. “I’m not that cruel. Oh and don’t worry, I won’t charge you for that.”

Dayo’s lips quirked, as the engine of the vehicle sprung to life and the car jerked forward. “I wonder how much it would cost to get you to keep your mouth shut.”

“That’s just it. You can only – wonder,” Victor smiled, his fingers drumming gently on his thighs. “There is simply no price that would be enough to compensate. Anyway, there is a little dinner, Eloho is organizing for you tonight. Think you can make it? Tiolu would be there.”

Tiolu.

His throat bobbed upwards. “By will or by obligation, or by ignorance? Because I know you, you’re capable of nonsense like that.”

“And you know I won’t answer your question.” Victor winked. “And the previous question was just a statement. You can’t decline dinner. Eloho is still furious at you for leaving in the first place. If you cherish your friendship with her, you would come over.”

“If I don’t, she’d pretty much come drag me over anyway.” As always, his attention on the road ahead was undivided, and his grip on the steering – unwavering. “How is she, these days? Tiolu. Is she well, okay, happy?”

“What, you think she’d be moping and be miserable because of you.” Victor burst out in a raucous laugh, that sent a cold chill down his spine. It was just as he feared, Tiolu must have indeed gone through a phase and become rejuvenated. She’d probably visit a library and get bored to death by its environment, than to meet up with him again.

His friend’s left hand, wrapped round his right bicep. “Brother, Tiolu is a lost cause. And I was just kidding earlier when I said she’d be around for dinner. Do you think you intrigue her that much? Even if she has not gotten over you, I’m pretty sure she wouldn’t want to come off as needy.”

“So, she wouldn’t be around then?”

Oh, she’d be around to help Eloho prepare dinner…”

Huh?

“Eloho knows Pounded Yam and Egusi soup is your favorite, but she doesn’t exactly know her way round Egusi soup or even pounding Yam. Tiolu would be around to help her cook, that’s all. She probably doesn’t even know the dinner is for you. If she does, she probably wouldn’t come. But now that I think of it, she could be around to put poison into your food or something. That’d make sense.”

His mouth was wide open, and his eyes were broadened in shock. His gaze however remained fixated to the road ahead. He couldn’t believe his ears. Did Victor just say Tiolu was going to prepare Egusi soup and Pounded Yam? Someone who couldn’t boil potatoes well? The same Tiolu Keye?

“I’m sorry, but did you just say Tiolu could prepare soup and pound yam?”

Victor’s expression connoted that he expected his surprise. “Yup, pretty shocked, right? Well let me tell you now, that Tiolu has gone through one heck of a transformation. She still looks like her old self, might I even say hotter but that’s not the point. She now works as a curator at that popular museum, can’t remember its name now, though. But she’s doing really fine now.”

“Okay,” He swallowed, his hand on the steering – tightening. The manner in which his friend began and ended his explanation, felt like there was perhaps something more to it. Like he wanted to say something more, but was keeping it to himself. Perhaps, something he wanted Dayo to find out on his own.

What the hell could it be?

“Do you think it’d be good for me to call on her?” He managed a brief glance at Victor, to read his facial expression. “You know, I mean it’s not like we’re enemies now. I just feel it would be weird if I discard her totally, like we weren’t friends once upon a time.”

Victor’s hands were clasped, and he didn’t return Dayo’s quizzical stare. “For some reason, you didn’t think of doing that all through the past year? You think you could just call on her now, like you hadn’t ignored her for the past year. You’re either very ignorant in a stupid way, or just very stupid.”

“Well, I wasn’t the one who broke up–”

“You were the one, Dayo–”

No, she ended it herself–”

“You ended it eventually.”

“I’m sorry?”

Victor sat up. “You ended it eventually. Dayo, when a woman breaks up with you no matter how aggressive or vociferously, she still expects you to–no, protocol still demands for you to still go on to plead that the relationship continue. No matter how pointless your points may be, especially when you were the cause of the argument. But what did you do? You neglected her, and took off to the US, like the break up was some sort of job promotion you’ve been waiting for all your life.”

“Oh, so I’m supposed to ask for her permission before I can leave the country?”

“That’s your problem Dayo not mine.” Victor held his hand up. “Now get ready to face the consequences of your actions. Just please, and please I beg you – leave myself and my wife out of this and keep your business someplace else. I don’t want my home to go – Nuclear.”

Dayo bit his lower lip, as a comfortable silence descended between them. No matter how harsh Victor sounded, his words were the truth. He had to face and deal with his problems alone. How he was going to go about them, he had completely no idea.

Maybe returning to Nigeria, wasn’t such a good idea after all.

*****

“Miss Tolu, where would you love to place the artifacts again?”

Tiolu beamed down at the staff in amusement. “Right in The Attic. Keep going down the hall, you’d see a large door labelled the Attic. It’s kind-off the storage room, where we keep all unsorted objects. It’s the sort of thing you should know now, since you’re not really new on the job anymore.”

“Thanks, ma’am.” The female Corper nodded curtly, before walking off.

“Oh and it’s – Tiolu, not Tolu. Name didn’t change after the last five times I corrected you.”

“Sorry ma’am, would also keep that in mind.” The Corper bellowed back in response, before stalking off with the group of heavy duty men loaded with the objects. If it was a regular staff that exhibited ignorance around the Museum grounds continuously, she might have been pissed. But it was a worker under the nation’s NYSC (National Youth Service Corps) program, and therefore she had decided it within herself to be lenient and warm towards such staff. It wasn’t just her who adopted such principle when dealing with the youths. It was virtually every worker in the country.

Sep 2nd, 2018. 12:02 P.M.

She took a cursory glance at the humongous digital clock at the end of the hall-way, and sighed in frustration at the rate of which time went by slowly. It was indeed true, that when one was awaiting an activity or expecting the arrival of a certain individual – the time rate of movement slowed down to an annoyingly sluggish pace. In her situation, she wondered who was being sluggish. Time or her boyfri

Baby,” A warm air fanned her neck, before strong, huge and masculine arms wrapped round her waist. Took him so long, she thought. As he lowered his head to press a kiss to her neck, she withdrew abruptly.

“I told you we can’t do that here, Chile.” She grimaced, as she latched unto his wrists and held him at bay. “For goodness sake, I just got the job. And I don’t wanna give off a bad impression. There are cameras everywhere.”

“Pretty sure, there was a time where you didn’t care about people watching you.” Her boyfriend smirked as his hands dropped to his sides. “And just like you said, you just got here and you got the highest job. Don’t you know such post can’t be lost just because you’re fooling around? You know the powers that got you here. And it’s not a bad impression if it’s the right one. Or are you trying to give off an impression that doesn’t define the type of person you are?”

“I’m not trying to give off any impression at all.” Her lips quirked in amusement. “BTW, I should be the one scolding you, not the other way round. Why the hell are you late?”

“Unlike you, I’m uncomfortable with acting.” Chile folded his arms. “And I’m giving off the right impression of myself, be it bad or right. I’m a latecomer, Tiolu. I never cared much for punctuality. So here I am, late as always. You’re gonna have to get used to that.”

“Just keep that on, and you’re gonna have to get used to the fact that you’d be single once again in the next couple of months.”

“Oh, you’re willing to stay with me that long even if I don’t change that bit about myself. You love me so much, don’t you?”

Oh, please.

Love? She wouldn’t exactly use the particular word to label her feelings for Chile. Feelings, she did have for him. He was witty, funny, great company, brilliant – although exuding traits of being dumb and very masculine in an attractive and endearing way. But love? She didn’t think her feelings had gotten to that stage yet.

Which was really nerve-wracking and bothering, since it took her less than four weeks to fall in love in her previous escapade, but had been dating Chile for more than four months now and yet – she wasn’t that, crazy about him. In fact, she wasn’t that irritated that he had shown up late. She was slightly apathetic about it. It bothered her, that she wasn’t bothered about things she was supposed to be very bothered about.

“I’m just kidding I got held up by traffic. It was a grid-lock.”

Traffic?” Her nose scrunched, as they began the walk to her office. “On a Sunday afternoon?”

“Yeah, you know he is back. And the entire media and press were trooping to the airport like he is one of the pioneers of our democracy or something. He wasn’t this hyped, the last time he was in the country though. I wonder why.”

By ‘he’, Chile meant Dayo of course; the man who had taken her heart and had squashed it to pieces, or rather thrown it to the floor and stomped on it aggressively without pity, remorse or any facet of regret. She wondered why the mention of his name didn’t make her blood boil in anger; instead, it still seemed to cause some sort of emotional stir in her. She had gotten over him of course, the action was no easy task but she had overcome it. Now, her life was proceeding in a manner in which she loved. She had a great job, fantastic family and a handful of supportive friends, but he just had to resurface again, didn’t he?

He just couldn’t stay away, and let her live in peace.

“You been in contact with him?”

What!” Her glare projected daggers and lasers into his. “You know how he left me, you think I’m that nice? I haven’t spoken to him since last year, when we broke up. And I have no intentions to.”

“Good, I love that. Stay out of his way then.” Chile nodded satisfactorily. “And I’d do my best to do the same also, because I’m afraid I might just pound him to the floor if I see him.”

She smiled, Chile’s gallantry was indeed endearing. “Nah, you wouldn’t be able to. He has a small stature, unlike you. He’d wriggle out of your hold and run. And believe me, you won’t be able to catch him. Something tells me, he has definitely been a victim of bullying and would therefore have experience in escaping beatings.”

“And something didn’t tell you that I’d have been a perpetrator of bullying?” He smirked. “And so, would have experience in catching people who run as fast and swift like rats. Believe me, dealing with him should be no big problem. I’d handle it quite well.”

“Just leave him, alone.” Tiolu held her left hand up, as they proceeded into an hall-way of offices. Hers was at the utmost end of the room. “Something tells me he has been hammered by guilt in this past year, if he has a conscience of course. But judging by the way he took off immediately last year, I wouldn’t be so sure. But still leave him, the lord will fight my battle and I shall hold my peace.”

“You’ve come with your Bible verses again?” Chile growled from behind her. She couldn’t help it these days, keeping her spiritual life separate from her regular life. It wasn’t like she was the holiest of all saints, but she had become moderately devoted to her religion and also found the Bible as entertaining as a novel.

“Don’t talk like I say them all the time,” She smiled as they halted right in front of her door. She retrieved her key-card from the inner pocket compartment of her jacket and slot it in, before punching in a pass-word. After the door made way, they both proceeded into the office. Before she could slump into the sofa just by the door, Chile caught her by the waist and brought his lips down on hers.

Well.

Instinctively, her hands went round his neck and drew him closer. The kiss was of optimum standard, the sort that would shake any woman’s world and make them reel in passion, perhaps even beg for the activity that it could incite. Make them climax and reach their orgasm, but she still couldn’t figure out why it didn’t render such intoxicating effect on her. It was steamy and sent her systems into a frenzy but not in the way a kiss of such high class should.

When his lips travelled to her collarbone, she protested. “Chile, not here.”

“Then we should take a rain-check on the date then,” His voice blared of vile want and desire. “Go to your apartment perhaps, or mine any where you want. Take this to a place that’s more suitable.”

“No, I didn’t mean that.” She was beginning to become uncomfortable. She wondered why it was so. Kissing was an activity that was once very casual to her. “I meant not here and not now. The time isn’t right.”

Chile’s arms fell and he pulled away. The pain in his eyes, made her feel guilty. “Then, when? It’s been four months, and twenty-two dates. When is the time ever going to be, right? Is it until we’re married?”

Well, yeah.

Not like she was game on the idea of getting married to him, but she just didn’t see herself giving her virginity just like that to him. It was one of the numerous principles her past training had instilled her. But she couldn’t tell him just that, it would make him pull away. And she also didn’t want that. She didn’t want to be lonely.

Chile was a great boy-friend, whether or not she loved him or not, she didn’t want to lose him. During her stay at her parents home, her dad and his had initiated the romance between them and ever since then she couldn’t deny that things were progressing well. But she knew men like Chile, and she also knew more than to expect more from him.

He wasn’t exactly the – one lady type of guy. Of course, he was doing his best to remain exclusive with her. But she preferred a man who wouldn’t try too hard not to cheat. The sort in which such restrain would come to naturally. It was a pity, some men with such nature were jack-asses.

She wondered if she didn’t want to let Chile go because she actually, genuinely wanted him or didn’t just want to be alone.

“Marriage, we both know you aren’t serious.” She reached out to his left cheek, and squeezed it affectionately. “I just don’t want to rush things, okay? Things have been going really great. I guess the time where it would be fine with the both of us would still come, okay? But it just doesn’t seem right to me now. I hope you understand.”

“It’s not like if I don’t understand, I’d get sex anyway.” He bickered, taking her left wrist into his mouth before sucking on it gently. “I don’t have any choice than to wait.”

“Oh, please don’t make it sound like you’re my son and you’re waiting for the punishment I’d give you for failing math.” Tiolu giggled, as his lips on her fingers provided a tingly sensation.

“My mom would never scold me for anything in the world,” He corrected, biting gently on the edges of her fingers. “My dad would, but it wouldn’t be something irrelevant like failing math. Losing a business deal, failing in an auction, not meeting up to dead-line. The list is sorta endless, because he taught me that a business man should never accept defeat. That he should always find his way through every obstacle and short-coming.”

Chile,” Her chest rose in desire, as the effect his lips rendered on her fingers pulsated through her being – stirring up wants in forbidden places. “Chile, I’m–” were the words she heard herself speak, before his mouth crushed down on hers in a punishing way. As if to scold her for refusing initially, and this time – she gradually found herself floating away on the tides of pleasure and loosing her hold on the anchor of logic.

The club isn’t the best place to find a lover, so the bar is where I go…

Urgh!” A growl escaped Chile’s lips, before he broke the embrace and let her go to pick up her ringing phone on the large desk.

“Hello,” She said after picking up the call and lifting it to her ear.

Hey, Tee. What’s up, you’re on your way right?”

“On my way? I don’t under–”

Oh, the dinner!

“Today is Sunday?” Her lower jaw dropped open. “I’m so sorry, Eloho I forgot. Its not too late for me to come around right? I’m an hour late.”

Nah, c’mon it’s not like you’re my maid or something. I don’t think you should bother again, it’s pretty much late–”

“I’m just an hour late, don’t worry I’d make it–”

Honey, the guest is kind-off the person who wouldn’t want an extra party–”

“He won’t see me, I swear. I’d be sneaky and subtle. Please let me do this, I’d feel totally awful if I don’t. I promised, and I hate going back on my promises. I’d be there in a few, okay?”

Okay, okay. I’d see you then.”

“Thanks!” She squealed in delight before turning on Chile. She wondered why Eloho was hesitant on her not coming again, who could they be having over – who she didn’t want her to see? It couldn’t be a criminal on the loose, could it? She didn’t exactly know any criminals, so she doubted she’d identify such person if she saw them.

“Chile, I’m sorry we’re actually going to take a rain-check on this date. And to make it up to you, the date would be in my apartment, okay?”

She wasn’t exactly comfortable with such setting, but she figured she owed him that much after bailing out of the blues. Besides, it wasn’t like she was egging him on. They were still going to maintain the previous restrictions they had on the relationship. Just as expected, the fact that their next date would be in her house succeeded in quieting Chile.

“Fine, fine. But you’re cooking, okay?” He heaved a sigh of disappointment, as she strode over to plant a kiss on his fore-head. “You’re cooking that soup with the yellow stuff that looks like marshmallows.”

“Melon soup, it is then.” She laughed gently, before leaning over the desk to retrieve her bag. “I’d call you when I get home in the evening. Lock up, when you’re done here.”

“Of course,” He winked at her. “Bye.”

Bye.”

She slammed the door behind her, and dashed down the long hall-way to the life outside. After hopping into her blue Mercedes Benz 2018 E-300  Sedan, she glanced at her wrist-watch again and made a note to herself.

Must get there within an hour.

*****

“The food better be done by now.”

Victor said amidst shut eyes, as they ventured into the main building of the house. The drive from the airport had been unexpectedly long and tiring. The traffic grid-lock was of course caused by the fuss of the press and media heading to the airport for his arrival. On another day such thing might have given him joy and pride, but not today.

“The way you’ve been ranting and talking about dinner all day, I’m actually beginning to doubt if it was for me or you forgot to get me a home-coming gift as always, and just decided to label this grand dinner in my name since it coincides with my arrival.”

“I can’t even express want on food being cooked in my own house, with my own money?” Victor shook his head, as they walked into house. The maids pitched at the entrance had plucked his luggage from his hands and had proceeded to lodging it in the living room, while he and Victor proceeded to the dining room where another set of maids were setting the table.

“Once again, you could have just gotten me a gift and save yourself all these stress.” Dayo snickered, as he took a seat on the table and Victor took the one opposite it.

“You should have said I shouldn’t have anything out of the food at all, that you want to eat it all.” Victor said as he motioned towards a maid, and whispered something along the lines of them being around and giving Eloho the information. He wondered if Tiolu was still around. According to Victor, she was supposed to have arrived some hours ago, cook and leave before they had the dinner. But he couldn’t help but wish that something had kept her. A cold chill ran down his spine, and his heart-beat also quickened when he thought of the possibility of her being around.

Uhm, Victor. Eloho would like to know if–”

The voice trailed off, as the figure materialized out of the dimly illuminated section of the room. He knew that voice anywhere, any day.

It was Tiolu.

He took in her figure as the light fell on her. Still exquisite as always, he thought. Her hour-glass frame was rounded up in a short red sleeveless sequined lace gown with her ebony dark-hair cascading down to her shoulders. He saw the way her body flinched in shock as she set his gaze on him, and he knew at that point that she definitely didn’t know he was going to be around.

This wasn’t going to be good.

“I’m sorry, Tiolu.” Victor sighed, rising to his feet and obstructing Dayo’s view by stepping in front of her. Dayo braced his hands on the table for support, as his eyes fell to the ground also. He couldn’t stand the accusatory stare on her face; the one that was laddered with resentment and nigh hatred. He was a big fool for thinking, that she might be pleased at seeing him. A big, big fool.

“Its just that, we knew if you knew it was him that would be around, you wouldn’t want to come help us anymore. That’s why we didn’t want you to be around till now, and Eloho kind-off suggested you stay away after you informed us that you forgot about this.”

“No, It’s okay.” She sounded calm, but the wails of horror was still audible in her voice. “It isn’t like, Dayo and I weren’t bound to run into each other at some point. It’s better we saw each other now, in a friendly atmosphere like this and get it over with.”

Get it over with?

Victor nodded. “Perhaps, you guys would need privacy to have a word?”

Sure,” Tiolu said, before he heard Victor’s steps fade into the distance, and it was then that he finally lifted up his gaze back to hers.

Hey,”

“Hey.”

The initial shock had disappeared from her face, and she had replaced it with some sort of forced smile. Perhaps, she wasn’t so angry after all.

“I uh–I’m sorry, you had to be dragged into this.” His voice was shaky, and he was pretty sure he was fidgeting in fear. “It’s just that anytime Pounded Yam and Egusi soup comes up, logic and reasoning pretty much flees from my mind. I should have insisted that they kept you out of this.”

And there was her laugh. Its melody, pleasant to the ears like the voice of the most fine-tuned birds chirping.

“It’s okay, Dayo. You don’t need to feel awkward with this. Once I’m done preparing dinner here, I’d pretty much be leaving. It’s been a hectic day for me and I just want to go home and zone out.”

“I see,” He bit his lower lip. “So, I hope it isn’t–inappropriate to ask how you’ve been?”

“I’m doing great, thank you.” She nodded. He could sense the unease was mutual. “I know you’ve been doing more than great, in the past year? Every normal human with a life that knows that. With the way you’ve been in the news lately, one would think you’re the biggest, youngest break-out star in the music industry.”

His smile was genuine. “That’s just my public life, I wouldn’t say my private life has come close to being that pleasant. But It’s not like that’s any of your business.”

“I asked how you’ve been doing, didn’t I?” She tilted her head. “Nuclear was great, BTW. I Loved every single thing about it. It’s something the world needs to know. That not all relationships can work out. Not all relationships is capable of overcoming all odds and ending happily.”

His heart sank even deeper upon hearing her words. Of course, she knew Nuclear was their story right? Just altered in a few aspects, to make it more foreign and appealing to a wider audience? Of course, she picked up on that cue or didn’t she? Was she that oblivious to the fact that it was their story? Or she didn’t want to point that out.

Seeing her now, Dayo had come to numerous conclusions that he didn’t want to previously. One, was that she seemed rejuvenated like Victor had mentioned earlier on their ride. It was a miserable thing to want her to be miserable, after everything he had put her through – but he knew one thing, if she was indeed reborn and wasn’t wearing a façade, then there was a huge possibility that she might not want anything to do with him again, and was only conversing with him now out of obligation and in the sake of pleasantries.

He wondered if it was a good idea to bring up the past.

“Yeah, I–of course, that was the impression I was going for. I just–okay, here goes. I know this might be the last thing you want to hear now, but–I’m really sorry for what happened in the past. I don’t want to dwell in the past, since I can see you don’t want to do the same also but there is still need to apologize for my behavior last year–”

“You don’t owe me an explanation, Dayo.” She shook her head, convincingly. “It’s not like you beat me up while we were dating or you cheated on me with someone. No, you simply had your way with the relationship, which you couldn’t change and I couldn’t accept. Remember, that I broke up with you, okay? You were every bit as right as I was, so please there Is no need to dwell on that. Let’s put that behind us.”

Phew!

He wondered if she indeed spoke the truth, and didn’t resent him because earlier – he had caught hurt and despair in her stare when their gazes locked. He hated this. Not knowing how to read her facial expression and knowing where her head was. He could do that so perfectly in the past, without difficulty but now the task was quite insurmountable.

“Thank you, I was going to ask you if you would like me to rush to the kitchen to get you a pestle, to pound me with.”

And she laughed again, genuinely. “No, I don’t hate you, Dayo. Don’t think like that. Maybe, I did hate you a little bit after everything that happened last year but not anymore. I’ve gotten that behind me.”

Great.

“So you’re assisting Eloho in the kitchen, huh?” He stated overzealously, folding his arms. “Who would have thought?”

Her shoulders slumped, as he fought to keep his eyes on hers. The gown hugged her body so tightly, and her shape bulged out – enticingly. The slit on both sides of her waist, didn’t do much in discouraging him either.

“It’s been a year, Dayo. What do you expect? You can’t exactly tell me you haven’t undergone some sort of change.”

“Well, its certainly not growing taller or any other thing that’s essential.” His quip made her smile again. “A lot has changed, fame has gotten more intense. Private life has become less private and life more trying.”

And lonely also.

“It’s just more difficult to get by day by day, for some reason these days.” He swallowed the huge lump forming in his throat. “That’s why I ran down to Nigeria, I can’t take it anymore. My new agency is awesome, BTW. Sometimes, you just discover that family maltreats you just because you’re family. I’m referring to HC, my previous agency. Ever since I left for Penguin, It’s been less stress working really. I don’t know why I didn’t leave a long time ago.”

“Just like you said, HC was family.” She replied. “And it’s always difficult to leave family behind, no matter how much they misbehave or maltreat you. It’s good to have you back, I hope you really do rest this time around and take your fun life seriously.”

“I’d try to, when I’ve settled down and all.” He nodded. “Speaking about fun and leisure, would you like to hang out some time? You know just for old times sake, I’d really love to know what has been going down here for the past year and also share my experience. That wouldn’t be inappropriate, would it?”

He felt as vulnerable as a naked man, thrown into a lion’s den – at the mercy of the wild animals habiting it. Something within him told him he had taken the wrong decision and had pushed his luck too far. But he just couldn’t resist it. She looked as dashing as always, and didn’t exactly appear to be his biggest hater in the world. The words were imminent.

“I’m sorry, but yes that would be inappropriate and I don’t think I’d be able to take you up on that offer.” She replied with a blank expression, her statement void of an explanation. Of course, she didn’t owe him one but he couldn’t help but wonder why she had declined – in such effortless manner.

“Why, if I may ask?”

“It’s pretty obvious,” She gestured in an haphazard manner. “You’re my ex, Dayo. I don’t need to rake up past memories by hanging out with you, or peel healed wounds. They are things I want locked up permanently, things I have no intention of opening whatsoever.”

“I’m not saying we should go back to being–”

“I’m not interested in whatever you’re offering,  Dayo and I need you to understand that bit. Besides, I have a boyfriend now…”

Damn.

“…I don’t think he’d be comfortable with the idea of me hanging out with my ex. So, yeah inappropriate.”

He almost asked who the guy was, but he stopped himself from doing so in the last minute.

“Let me just make this clear to you, in case I’m coming off as incomprehensive. We’re nothing more than acquaintances, Dayo. Right now, I feel no need to extend any form of friendship towards you. Even if I wasn’t in a relationship, I still wouldn’t because I just don’t see the reason behind it.

It’s not like we were friends before we got into a relationship, our initial attraction was erotic and now that its died down, everything between us has pretty much died down. So, I’d like you to refrain from making contact with me in any form at all. Perhaps, when meetings like this bring us together, we would of course be obligated to exchange a few pleasantries, since we have quite the numbers of friends in common now but nothing more than that, okay?”

It took him a while to register the words in his head. It was just as he feared, she wanted nothing to do with him again. He couldn’t exactly blame her. He hadn’t been the best boy-friend during the time they were in a relationship, and he hadn’t exactly been the best ex-boyfriend after the relationship either.

It was a silly thing to do, asking her out to a date. He was usually smarter than this, he thought. Protocol would have demanded that he let the tension between them cool off and die down, and after the expiration of a couple of weeks – he’d then ask her out perhaps. But, what he hadn’t anticipated was her being in a relationship with someone else. Which was absurd, because she was one of the most attractive females he had laid eyes on in the country, so definitely – women of her breed and caliber didn’t experience difficulty in finding a male suitor. But it had caught him off guard and he knew the reason why.

All through their relationship, she had been the devoted, enthusiastic and crazy girlfriend – madly in love with him. He had gotten used to her immense display of affection, that he hadn’t for one moment paused to think that she could direct it somewhere else, or worst of all – it could die. He was such a big fool. She had indeed gotten over him, and the worst part was that – he hadn’t gotten over her.

Damn it.

Oh, of course I understand. Totally, I just felt it would be nice to clear the tension and all but it’s okay, I totally understand. It’s been nice knowing you, Tiolu.”

“Oh, please don’t say it like I’m your wife and you’re going to the war or something.” She gave him a light shove on his right arm, the action startled him a bit. She looked so unmoved about the entire thing. So apathetic, yeah apathetic. The one trait that defined him and was absent in her, was now what was dominant in her demeanor. It was like they had swapped personalities.

Sorry, I could be melodramatic sometimes.” He concluded, just as Eloho and Victor walked into the room. He figured they’d been clearing their throats, signaling for their attention.

“I guess I’d be going then,” Tiolu announced as Eloho walked over to her, and handed over her hand-bag. She faced Eloho and hugged her briefly. The latter expressed gratitude and so did her husband. Then she turned on him again, with the remnants of her previous smile still on her face. And this time, he could have sworn that he saw – affection.

“See you around, Dayo.” She tugged at his arm, affectionately before walking out of the room but he knew better than to read too much meaning into her action. He had to face the ugly truth, the woman that just walked out of the house – was no more his and would never be his.

“Bro, let’s eat.” Victor beckoned to him, and motioned towards the table. His disappointment had caused his appetite to disappear, but when he remembered that it was Tiolu that prepared the meal – it came crashing out back from its hidden place.

And that evening, as he dined with his best-friends and thought about Tiolu, he made a resolution that went against everything he stood for. A resolution, that he was not only comfortable to make but also happy to.

He wasn’t going respect her words, and leave her alone like she had implored him to. No, he was going to do the exact opposite.

---------------------------------------------

So we’re back !!! Phase 3 underway. How did you find this chapter? Drop a comment and tap that star.

So, so, a lot has changed huh. It’s a year after Dayo left the country. Also, tell me the change that caught you off guard. Things are about to get really interesting, and drama is about to go down. Remember, its only five more chapters to go.

Thanks for the love and support so far, to everyone. And please if you haven’t been commenting, please, please do. I’d love to hear from you, and i always reply. Thanks again.

------------------------------------------------

Glossary:

Terms.

1. NYSC (National Youth Service Corps) – is an organization set up by the Nigerian government to involve the country's graduates in the development of the country.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1M 202K 90
What will happen when an innocent girl gets trapped in the clutches of a devil mafia? This is the story of Rishabh and Anokhi. Anokhi's life is as...
58.7K 9K 28
"God! Kemi I'm so sorry I shouldn't have..." "You're sorry?" she asked her eyes misty with unshed tears. "What do you feel for me Nnamdi?" "Christ!"...
378K 13.1K 16
oh my god! he's a really bad boy. (i wrote this story in 2019 when skz were 9... so i apologise if that makes it a bit uncomfortable, but it would be...
20.9K 4.6K 45
"You still don't want to tell me your name. Just name ooo I'm not asking for your number na" "Miracle" "It's definitely a miracle because I've...