Sickly, Sweet - Book One

By HannahPatrixia

~ Complete~ You can spend decades trying to find your purpose and identity and never find it. I didn't know w... More

Sickly, Sweet
Ch. 1 - Winter Dance
Ch. 2 - Lovebites
Ch. 3 - Double Agent
Ch. 4 - Dead End
Ch. 5 - Chained
Ch. 6 - A Drop Of Sun
Ch. 7 - Monsters
Ch. 8 - Impossible
Ch. 9 - Catch Me If You Can
Ch. 10 - Falling
Ch. 11 - Dances With Bats
Ch. 12 - Sea of Glass
Ch. 13 - Can You Feel My Heart?
Ch. 14 - A Deals A Deal
Ch. 15 - Temptations
Ch. 16 - The Upper Hand
Ch. 17 - Innocent Victims
Ch. 18 - Barely Human
Ch. 19 - Half-Alive
Ch. 20 - Written in Bone
Ch. 21 - Reborn
Ch. 22 - Heartless
Ch. 23 - Breathless
Ch. 24 - So Close But Still So Far
Ch. 25 - The Truth
Ch. 26 - Metamorphosis
Ch. 27 - Raise the Dead
Ch. 28 - Starving
Ch. 29 - Typical
Ch. 30 - Captive
Ch. 31 - Bound
Ch. 32 - Lust
Ch. 33 - Tick Tock
Ch. 34 - Never Leave
Ch. 35 - Power
Ch. 36 - Angels and Demons
Ch. 37 - Kitten
Ch. 38 - Fire
Ch. 39 - Life and Death
Ch. 40 - Secrets
Ch. 41 - Thick
Authors Note + Cover Sneak Peek ;)
Ch. 42 - The Faces of War
Ch. 43 - Dare
Ch. 44 - Hard To Believe
Ch. 46 - It's Not Over
Bittersweet - Teaser
RATH FANS(ANNOUNCEMENT)

Ch. 45 - Revival

14.2K 786 272
By HannahPatrixia

Wooh, I hope you have recovered from your mini heart attacks. I'm sorry to leave with such a crazy cliffhanger. Here's another short chapter. Once this book is finished, I will edit - big time - and combine some of the short chapters. 

***

'The flame of his love scorches my frozen heart and we collide with the passion of a thousand souls.'

***

If you're lucky, you will pass from this life in peace. Most die from old age, sleeping in their beds as their soul transfer from this life to the next feeling like it's all just a dream. Others die quickly, without even feeling a splinter of pain or even a single thought. A quick and painless death was what I longed for but this one is the complete opposite.

It's a slow death and I can feel everything.

Gasping, I clutch my chest feeling the pain of a thousand deaths. My heart beats silently with a sadness that is unparalleled. I open my eyes and see irises as dark at the evening sky but as soft as calm waters. His gaze is locked on mine, not moving or stirring.

"Valentine," I whisper. My voice surprises me because it doesn't sound like me. "I'm okay."

He continues to stare at me and I begin to worry. I pull back in shock as I notice that time has stopped - everything around me had halted and is held in place by an unseen power. Even the air has stopped its howling and the dust has laid still. I lift myself up from a fetal position and I look back in bewilderment as I see my own body on the ground with Valentine hovering over me.

"You've lived quite a long life, doll-face," a voice calls from behind. Rath's strong and powerful presence causes me to turn around and face him. He's still wearing the same dirt-ridden clothing he battled with and the same smirk he loves to flash at me. In all of my years, I've never been around someone as ancient as him and powerful as him. His mere presence makes me feel intimidated and never had I ever felt like this around anyone before. I wonder what makes him different.

"What's happening?" I ask, also wondering how I'm here, yet not here.

"You died," he says flatly without hesitation. Nerves start to dance wildly in my body and I step back not believing what has happened. "Your spirit left your body and I'm here to collect it."

"I can't," I stutter suddenly afraid of what he is going to say.

The Demon King steps toward me, closing in on my floating form. All insecurity rises from my stomach and he does nothing but stare at me with flames burning in his eyes. He's waiting for me - waiting to have me accept my fate. Last year I would have asked him to take my soul in a heartbeat but I've changed. Now, I can't wait to live and actually have the chance to enjoy the life I never paid attention to. My heart sinks at the thought of losing the body I was graciously given.

"You've been wanting this for years, kitten, aren't you glad you finally got your wish?" His smirk grows wider showing his amusement in my frustration. His strong demeanor doesn't even change; he's still the same devilish bastard.

"That was then," I say in a broken tone. "I-I've changed my mind."

A deep and booming laugh erupts through the field as if we were in an empty room. The sounds echo in and through the bodies and trees like they didn't even exist. I flinch at the glare he gives me. I don't know why but I feel as if I must submit to everything he says, even if it contradicts with my own thoughts and feelings.

"Valentine comes into your life and you suddenly change? I've spent thousands of years with all souls that come and depart from this life - you aren't the first to beg for a second chance. You've had over two hundred years to live and you moonlighted as an assassin, feeding off of nothing but darkness while you wallowed in self-pity."

"I never asked for that life," I reply with a surprisingly calm facade. I want to get my point across that I want to spend the rest of my life with Valentine, without anything holding us down. "It wasn't death I wanted, it was a new life. I wanted a chance at living with new eyes."

His expression softens and I relax my shoulders a little. He towers over my height and looms over me with his entire body covering my own shadow. My hands twitch at his close proximity. It's strange, I can still feel sensations course through my body as if I'm still alive.

"And you haven't had enough since then?"

"No." Selfish and blunt, I give him the answer that he is looking for. I know what he's capable of.

"Tell me what you want," he says softly as he touches my forehead with his thumb. I close my eyes as his touch sends a feverish zap down the length of my spine.

"I want," I start to say, not capable of saying it in front of him. "I want to stay."

The sound of my own voice surrounds my head, serving as a constant reminder of my own denial. Instead of looking amused he looks at me with pity. I don't need to explain further. He's been in my head and he knows what weighs my soul down. I feel somewhat bad for him.

He looks into my eyes and delves deep into my thoughts. I know because I can feel him in my mind. I can feel him unlock all of my desires. I should be appalled and should force him out but I have no control. My soul is trapped within his fingers and he has no intention of letting go. He comes closer until his body is only inches from mine, letting me feel the heat of his malevolent birthright. Heavy and quite nervously, I exhale the breath I didn't know I was holding.

He releases the connection between us and he narrows his eyes down at me. He mutters something unintelligible under his breath and I crane my head to try and listen but I get nothing but static. My brows furrow above my eyes as I gaze up in confusion.

"You desire to be with him," he comments, finally.

"Yes," I say in a soft breath, almost choking on my words.

"But he's alive and you're dead? How can that be?" He tilts his head toward me and I shiver as his hot breath hits my cheek and ear. "Are you sure you don't wanna be with me? I've been told I make a perfect cuddle buddy." 

"You're the King of all demons, Rath, I'm sure you can think of something," I provide with confidence and an exaggerated roll of my eyes. "I know the power you hold."

"And what power is that, pray tell?"

"You can bring me back. You ferry the dead to and from hell every day, I know you have the power to extend life, even if it's a life not worth your time."

He raises his brow and taps his chin. He contemplating on my words. "You're forgetting something." He presents a wolfish grin and crosses his arms over his chest.

I hit him with a suspicious glare and I roll my eyes. "You don't give anything for free so you have a price."

"Bingo, I knew you were smart," he chuckles darkly. "There is a price. I know you love making deals, so let's make one."

"No," pull back. "I'm done making deals."

Rath grabs my wrist and pulls me back toward him. He pressed his face against mine and whispers in my ear. "Might want to make a wise decision, kitten. This is your one and only stop before your final destination."

"What do you want me to do?"

"It depends on what your willing to give."

I narrow my eyes at him. He's a demon and the worst of them all but he can give me what I want - what I need. "I'd give anything," I say with a tearless cry.

He looks straight into my eyes and I feel a burning start from within. The longer he holds me the more I can feel my soul wearing thin. He's already starting to collect my soul even before he can give me an offer. He wants me.

"Sell yourself to me," he rasps. "I can grant you the life you want but on a few conditions. One, you will work for me and two, your soul will be mine to keep forever, that means whatever you had in this life with Valentine will be erased from you. You will have no recollection of him, even if you pass each other in Inferus. The time I will give you should be enough to whateve it is you need to with him. That body isn't yours at all so think of this as an extended loan. If you die before then, it's over and your soul goes directly to me."

"How long?" Interrupt and he shoots a very sharp glare at me.

"I'm not finished, kitten. Since I'm still trying to figure out this whole ordeal with you and Scarlett, I'll give you until it's been resolved. That way I can keep an eye on you." His deal, for the lack of a better word, sucks. I should have just promised not to make deals at all. my life has been ruled by it. It's a restrictive rope around my neck and I'm constantly on the edge, threatening to slip - if I fall it will break me.  

"But that could only be weeks or days," I plead with every ounce of me. The unfair deal has my heart falling from my chest and my mind twisting into a painful knot. "That's not enough time!" 

Rath's eyes glow red from the rise in my voice and that alone silences me. I feel a scorching heat from under my feet, crawling slowly but constantly up my leg. The pain seeps into my muscles, enough to make me close my eyes. It's not just a physical pain but a pain of a million heartbreaks. I can remember each regret, each bad decision, and each painful memory.

"Do you feel that, kitten?" He takes my chin into his hands and pulls me up so I can look at him. A lone tear rolls down my cheek and drops to my collarbone. "That's how generous I'm feeling today. Instead of sending you straight to hell, I'm giving you a second chance. Do we have an agreement?"

I nod. 

"I want to hear you say it." 

"Agreed," I gulp hard and wait for him to say something. 

"You know never to see your soul to the devil, right?" He says a little more playfully this time. He's trying to make me change my mind.

"Just do it, Rath."

"Either way, kitten," he smirks. "You're mine now."

My deal with Augustine broke with my death but now I have another. One that is infinitely worse. How many times can my soul be split?

Rath takes my hand and I feel tingles erupt from the tips of my fingers to my arm. He leads me to my body and instructs me to lay down next to it. It's an odd sensation and a weird experience. I glance at Valentine's still body and plead to a higher power that this will work.

"Close your eyes," he instructs.

I follow his command and let my eyes drift. For a moment, I feel nothing then I feel my heart pound hard against my chest. It's not painful nor sorrowful but very light and glorious. It feels good. Like the thrill of being on a rollercoaster or seeing someone you love.

I wait.

The anticipation builds inside me until it rest on the pads of my feet.

"Saphira," I hear my name being called. Suddenly, I am brought back into the world. I exhale a very deep breath and look up. "Sweetheart."

Valentine's amazing blue eyes meet mine and once again, I'm am captured. He looks down at me in joyous bewilderment and touches my body to make sure I'm really there. His touches make me feel more alive than anything else.

"You're here, you're alive."

I nod vigorously and my hands find their way to his. It doesn't take long until his lips are pressed against mine. It's a slow and sensual tangle of passion that has me melting underneath him.

"I thought I'd lost you," he whispers between out tight embrace.

"You never did." I smile and he reciprocates one just as breathtaking.

Valentine lifts me up and I glance at Rath who acknowledges me with a nod and a very obvious wink. I look around and see that the Fae's and Nightshades have stopped to look my way. They have halted in their plight to attack and have brought their weapons down.

As I bring myself up, I look at each of their faces. They're waiting. Anticipating.

"Our Queen," they say in unison with a voices so clear and booming, the entire kingdom would she heard. All at once, they drop down to their knees and bow their head.

An unknown feeling rises in my chest until it builds into a ball just over my heart. This will change everything.

I can kill them or I can command them.

***

One more chapter guys.

Comment the last emoji you used.

VOTE.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54 1 9
A catastrophic event sent the world dark. A "Big Bang" of sorts that caused a human disease. That disease would send the populace into a survival ins...
2.9K 78 21
˜"*°•.˜"*°• 𝙀𝙫𝙚𝙧𝙮 𝙜𝙞𝙧𝙡 𝙛𝙖𝙣𝙩𝙖𝙨𝙞𝙯𝙚𝙨 𝙖𝙗𝙤𝙪𝙩 𝙢𝙖𝙣 𝙬𝙝𝙤 𝙢𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩 𝙗𝙚.... 𝙂𝙧𝙚𝙚𝙠 𝙂𝙤𝙙 ?? 𝘼 𝙥𝙧𝙞𝙣𝙘𝙚 𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙧𝙢𝙞𝙣...
20 0 2
when you realize that you are immortal and your crimes goes unpunished... you become unhinged and borderline insane
76 6 16
You were created during a time of struggles. You managed to escape or be set free. You know nothing about your past. Only your name is the true hint...