Golden Boy

By ExpressCookies

This is a rewritten version of Golden Boy! It's completely new except for the names of the characters. Every... More

P R O L O G U E
O N E
T W O
T H R E E
F O U R
F I V E
S I X
S E V E N
E I G H T
N I N E
T E N
E L E V E N
T W E L E V E
T H I R T E E N
F O U R- T E E N
F I F T H - T E E N
S E V E N - T E E N
E I G H T E E N
N I N E - T E E N
T W E N T Y
T W E N T Y - Ø N E
T W E N T Y - T W O
T W E N T Y - T H R E E
T W E N T Y- F O U R
T W E N T Y- F I V E
T W E N T Y- S I X
T W E N T Y-S E V E N
T W E N T Y-E I G H T
T W E N T Y- N I N E
T H I R T Y
T H I R T Y - O N E
T H I R T Y - T W O
T H I R T Y - T H R E E
T H I R T Y - F O U R
E P I L O G U E

S I X - T E E N

1.6K 66 64
By ExpressCookies

In all of my years of living in Ardsley, I have never been so glad to be back in this town. I was only gone for two days, but it felt like three months. I probably had a lot of explaining to do to probably both my parents and Cami about what I was up to this weekend. I was okay with lying to my parents, but Cami has always been better at squeezing the truth out of me. 

Bev drove us back to their house since my mom's car was parked there. We pulled into their driveway, and I immediately hopped out, taking in a breath of the cold fresh air, the kind you couldn't get in Manhattan. The smile never wiped off of my face as I transferred my bag into my car. Last night I was so desperate to go home, convinced that Bev and Jace weren't going to allow me, yet here I was less than 24 hours later, free to do as I please once again. 

"Hey, before you leave, we need to talk."

I paused halfway into the driver's seat, groaning at Jace's request. "We just spent two hours in a car, and now you want to talk?"

"I want to make sure that we are on the same page," he said, leaning on the hood of my car now, his arms crossed, and the wind blowing in his hair. "Clearly, our efforts this weekend only proved that my grandmother's spells are quite powerful, likely because she anticipated this reaction from me, and in the process, you were exposed to a lot of things that you obviously can't express to anyone else. The only reason we are letting you go back to your life right now is because I believe that you are smart enough not to open your mouth, so don't prove me wrong, Elliot."

"Don't tell anyone that you have magical powers, got it. Anything else?" I rolled my eyes. 

"Don't talk to any strangers, especially the ones who give you a weird vibe. It is possible that traces of our magic are still on you and that could make you a target. You'll be safe in your house and when you're around me and Bev, but just be extra careful when you're alone."

"I'm not five, Jace. I know not to talk to strangers. Can I leave now?"

"Sure, see you at school tomorrow," he said, getting off of my car. I waved goodbye and drove away as Jace stood in his driveway watching. 

I drove straight home since it was already 8 pm and my mom kept texting me, asking when I would be home. She opened the door before I could even shut off the engine and stood with her arms crossed waiting for me on the porch, in her typical mom pose.  

"Oh look, my youngest daughter finally remembered she had a home, or were you planning on moving in with Camilla?"

"I'm sorry we just wanted to hang out since we've both been super busy with school these past couple of months. I'll make sure to text you on the hour next time," I said, walking up to her with open arms hoping she would accept my apology with a hug. She eyed me carefully before relenting and pulling me in. 

"I get it, but just remember that your parents want to see you too before the inevitable day that you leave the nest.."

"Yes, mom I understand that too." I dropped my bags and turned straight into the kitchen, where my dad sat at the table on his laptop. He didn't seem as upset as Mom, probably barely noticing that I was gone all weekend. 

"Did you see your sister, yet?"

"Olivia?" I asked, stopping in my tracks. She was off at college right now and wasn't meant to be back until next week for Thanksgiving. "She's here?"

"Yea, upstairs in her room. Go say hi."

I couldn't tell if my dad was joking with me or not because he seemed rather indifferent about it. Whatever he was working on his laptop must have been stressing him out. Regardless, I ran upstairs and busted into Olivia's room to see her sitting at her desk, typing away on her computer. I screamed, causing her to turn around and scream as well. 

"Elliot!" She ran and gave me a hug. We held on tightly, tears wetting my eyes because I was just now realizing how much I missed my older sister. She's always been able to guide me through my problems as a kid, being the voice of reason that I always needed, and these past couple of weeks have been a whirlwind of crazy shit I couldn't fully wrap my head around. The world made a lot more sense now that my sister was here.

We're four years apart and for all of high school, I've had to adapt to practically being an only child when she was back at college. She was graduating this year and finally returning to New York after being away at the University of Chicago. 

"What are you doing here so early?" I asked, finally detaching myself from her. "I thought you were coming back next week?"

"My schedule opened up a bit so I decided to surprise you and come back early!"

"Thank you, I was getting so bored," I sighed into her shoulder, not wanting to release her. 

I spent the rest of my Sunday night curled up in my sister's bed as she recounted all of the new tales she's acquired while being away. She mentioned that she finally broke up with her boyfriend of a year, Jason, who was only holding her back, as she claimed, and was ready to pursue guys who were more up to her standards. She let me in on a little secret that she actually has been back in New York since Friday night, but stayed with Aunt Clarissa so that she could get drunk in the City with some friends, without feeling bad about not seeing Mom and Dad right away. I gasped, choking on my laughter because I had done something similar this weekend. To think that I could have possibly run into my sister whilst I was out with Bev and Jace. 

The next morning Olivia drove me to school since she wanted the car to run some errands, and it felt like our routine four years ago when she would drive me every day. It felt very nostalgic, but I was glad to still be able to experience it. 

At school, it felt completely mundane for me to walk the halls and go to class as if my outlook on life wasn't completely different. After everything that I experienced over the weekend, sitting in my English class was going to feel like watching bark slowly peel off of a tree—unappealing. 

Cami burst into my circle of space with Dave trailing behind her, fuming with her jaw clenched shut. She closed my locker door for me and stood with her arms crossed. 

"What the hell were you doing in Manhattan the other day and what happened to you that you wanted to come home?" she said through clenched teeth. "And don't give me any more of that vague bullshit that you texted me yesterday. I want details!"

"It was nothing, I was drunk and overwhelmed by life and wanted to come home without my parents knowing. I would tell you more if there was more to tell."

"Who were you even with? No offense, but you don't exactly have an array of friends you get shitfaced on the weekends with."

"My sister came home on Friday so I went down to hang out with her and Aunt Clarissa without my parents knowing so that they wouldn't come and not make it fun anymore."

"Oh, why didn't you just say Olivia was home? That makes a lot more sense," she huffed, easing up her composure to be more welcoming. "I thought you were with a boy or something so I was worried sick."

"Sorry, I should have told you more details."

"Well, now that that is over with, I say we refocus our energies on discovering Jace's secret. After you got super drunk at his party, he gave me weird vibes, but I didn't get a chance to investigate because I blacked out drunk. It's crazy how little I remember. How were you by the way? I didn't want to leave you there, but he convinced me you would be more than fine."

I watched her wearily, confused as to why she would trust Jace in that situation. "I was fine. I woke up with a headache and then went home." 

"That's good. I wanted to get you out of there but something came over me and I just got even more shitfaced."

I pursed my lips. "That's Jace's charm for you."

Cami's gaze flicked over my shoulder, nodding her chin. "Speak of the devil."

I held back a groan, sick of seeing Jace's face at this point. "Ladies," said Jace, sauntering right up to us. "Elliot, how are you feeling? I remember you had a pretty rough time at my party on Friday."

"I'm better," I said avoiding eye contact. I don't know what game he was playing at here, but this small talk wasn't helping our situation. 

He nodded, turning to face me directly. "Could I talk to you for a second?" He gestured to the corner of the hall that was quiet and away from prying ears. Cami's eyebrows shot up, eying me curiously, watching my every moment. I had to play this off the right way, otherwise she would be suspicious. 

I let out a sigh. "Sure." 

He smiled—the fake Golden Boy Jace smile—that fooled the entire student body on a daily basis. "Forcing me to hang out with you this weekend wasn't enough? Now you want to annoy me at school too?"

"Are you close with your sister?" He asked, abruptly, cutting off air from entering my lungs. 

The blood drained from my face. "I fucking swear if you do anything to hurt her."

"Just make sure that in a moment of trust you don't tell her anything. I can't stress enough how much of this weighs on your shoulders."

"I said I would keep my mouth shut, didn't I?" I said pushing past him. "Have a great fucking day!" I yelled back at him over my shoulder, making sure I was overheard by the sophomores still standing in the hall, waiting to catch Jace's eye. 

I tried not to let him bring down my mood or even worry about my sister visiting us for the next week. Regardless, I found myself returning to our conversation throughout the day, turning his words over and over in my head, until it finally occurred to me that I never mentioned that I had a sister to him or that she was even back. His ability to keep track of my life, was proving to be annoying. 

After lunch, I cornered him in the stairwell, standing in his path so he couldn't climb the stairs. "How did you know my sister was back?"

He laughed and attempted to push past me, but I stood my ground. "I saw her when she dropped you off today. It was easy to put together that she didn't live with you because you never mentioned her and because you were in the passenger seat of the car you drive to school every day."

"So you're not sitting outside of my window stalking me?"

"No, so you can stop strip teasing with the curtains opened. The 13 year old boy in the house next door is the only one getting off."

"You are seriously the worst," I said, pushing past him to go back downstairs. 

"I know," he called leaning over the railing, a wide grin on his face. 

For the rest of the day, I couldn't wipe his smug smile from my mind. The way he managed to keep me on edge, never relenting or giving me a moment to feel relaxed, safe, or comfortable. All over the school, I was constantly reminded of how Jace was admired and praised for being the perfect student. 

I wanted to be a part of the clueless students, the ones who didn't witness Jace killing a man, even if he didn't actually die, the Jace who was ruthless, demanding respect when he didn't deserve it and forcing others to do his bidding. I was tired of convincing myself I could trust Jace. He's proven to me that he is constantly searching for new ways to keep me in line, to make sure that I have no choice but to go along with his ridiculous plans. 

I moved through the halls, lost in my own head, afraid that I would accidentally drag my sister Into something simply because I was careless. 

I left school early, convincing Olivia to pick me up so that we could drive to our favorite restaurant on the other side of town. It was a small family-run restaurant with the best brisket in town. It was easily our favorite comfort food and the one place we knew we'd always leave with a smile on our faces, which is why Olivia was suspicious that something was up with me. 

"So, what's got you down at school that you wanted to leave," Olivia asked, a spot of gravy on her face from the bite of her brisket sandwich that she just took. "And don't tell me it's nothing, I know better than that."

"I feel like my senior year isn't going how I planned. I'm worried that I'm letting my youth slip away and soon I will be old and annoying like you and your friends."

Olivia playfully hit my arm across the table, making me drop the french fries that were making their way into my mouth. "Don't call me old."

"Okay, so you admit to the annoying part then?"

"I should have let you rot in that school."

"But you didn't and that's why you are my favorite sister."

"That means so much coming from my only sister."

I laughed, fulfilling my annoying little sister role for the day. We left Ben's Briskets in good spirits. Olivia dropped me off at home and immediately left, claiming that she was going to catch up with some high school friends over a drink at the local bar. 

I took two steps into my empty house and immediately felt like an only child, once again having to keep myself entertained. It was already dark outside, despite only being 6 pm, so I curled up on the couch to watch a good movie with Lou sitting by my feet, like the loyal dog he was. 

I made it thirty minutes into the movie before footsteps sounded above my head. I froze, remembering that I was home alone. A beat passed and then another and that's when I heard a heavy footstep directly above me. I moved carefully to the stairs and crept up as slowly as I could without causing the wooden steps to creak. 

My door was slightly open and I saw a figure hunched by my bed, a familiar flop of curls peaking over my white duvet. 

"Jace?"

He suddenly stood up, quickly turning to face me, his face turning red. "I thought you weren't home."

"So you took the opportunity to break into my room to-" I peeked over his frame to a floorboard he opened up in the middle of my room, "-destroy my floor." 

He moved to cover the damage, but not before I saw a canvas covered in a cloth that was halfway out of its hiding spot. "What is that?" I asked, moving to get a closer look, but Jace kept me at arm's length. 

"Nothing," he pressed. "You should go back downstairs."

"You can't kick me out of MY room."

"It's just a suggestion, one I urge you to take."

"What did you put in my floor?" I tried again. 

"Nothing," he urged.

I shifted my weight, leaning into his grip on my shoulders, pushing all of my weight onto my right leg, and attempted to push Jace out of the way. He didn't budge, but it was successful in distracting him. I suddenly shifted all of my weight back so that he would stumble forward from the lack of tension. I succeed and pushed past him, crouching down onto the floor to pick up the canvas. I unwrapped the corner to see Andy Warhol's signature, realization dawning on my face. 

"You stole a famous painting and then put it in my room?" I whispered yelled. "Are you insane?"

"Yes and no." He took back the painting, my grip voluntarily loosening up because I didn't want to damage it. 

"Well?"

"I'm going to leave now," he said, putting the painting in his backpack. "You didn't see me here."

"I'll deny everything in court anyway."

He shook his head, halfway to my window, when glass shattering downstairs, caused him to freeze in his place. For the second time in ten minutes, someone was breaking into my house. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

589 11 24
Serena Heart has a great power within her causing a lot of trauma and turbulence in her life. After living in isolation for 15 years she is able to f...
347K 11.5K 10
In a school for super powered, supernatural students one doesn't fit in. She comes from the most prestigious family well known for their superpowers...
4.8K 230 88
Stephanie Walker, A-straight student, sweet,pretty and every parent's dream. What happens when her simple life clashes with the golden boy at her se...
732 94 44
We all grew up ready books where the innocent sweet naive girl falls for the troubled boy with a dark a dark past. We grew up rooting for the girl to...