Shadows Peak |✔

By SpratleyMac

"I don't trust your people." "I'm not asking you to trust them. I'm asking you to trust me." ◇Highest Rank:... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Sydney
Chapter 2: Casey
Chapter 3: Sydney
Chapter 4: Casey
Chapter 6: Sydney
Chapter 7: Casey
Chapter 8: Sydney
Chapter 9: Casey
Chapter 10: Sydney
Chapter 11: Casey
Chapter 12: Sydney
Chapter 13: Casey
Chapter 14: Sydney
Chapter 15: Casey
Chapter 16: Sydney
Chapter 17: Jasper
Chapter 18: Casey
Chapter 19: Sydney
Chapter 20: Casey
Author's Note
Chapter 21: Sydney
Chapter 22: Jasper
Chapter 23: Jasper
Chapter 24: Jasper
Chapter 25: Casey
Chapter 26: Sydney
Chapter 27: Casey
Chapter 28: Jasper
Chapter 29: Jasper
Chapter 30: Sydney
Chapter 31: Casey
Chapter 32: Jasper
Chapter 33: Jasper
Chapter 34: Sydney
Chapter 35: Casey
Chapter 36: Jasper
Chapter 37: Casey
Chapter 38: Sydney
Chapter 39: Casey
Chapter 40: Sydney
Chapter 41: Sydney
Chapter 42: Casey
Chapter 43: Casey
Chapter 44: Sydney
Chapter 45: Jasper
Chapter 46: Casey
Chapter 47: Jasper
Chapter 48: Sydney
Chapter 49: Jasper
Chapter 50: Sydney
Chapter 51: Casey
Chapter 52: Jasper
Chapter 53: Sydney
Chapter 54: Casey
Chapter 55: Sydney
Cast: Main & Eastern Region Characters
Cast: Western Region Characters
BOOK TWO: Dawns Break

Chapter 5: Sydney

2.9K 175 275
By SpratleyMac

Sydney allowed herself thirty minutes to grieve Liz. Just thirty minutes, and then she had to pull herself together and figure out what was going on.

Jasper held her for the first ten minutes, even letting a few tears spill with her. But, Sydney knew he was being strong for her sake. He hadn't known Liz as long as Sydney, but that didn't mean he didn't love her like she did.

"I'm going to go see what I can find in here for a weapon," Jasper said after the first ten minutes. "I'm not expecting much, since this is the library."

"Well, grab a couple hardcover books if you can't find anything else," Sydney said, trying to smile, but it pained her, and Jasper could see it all over her face.

"I promise I will be right back," he said, giving her one last look. Then he turned the corner and left.

That was almost twenty minutes ago.

Where are you, Jasper?

Sydney was starting to get worried. Even though the bombs had stopped going off right before he left, she still didn't feel safe and didn't like the idea of him being alone out there.

If only I wasn't hurt. I could be out there with you, equally helping.

She wasn't sure what was causing the pain in her leg, but it made it impossible for her to walk.

I just hope it's not broken. Please, anything but that.

The last thing Sydney wanted in this time if crisis was to be a burden, unable to use what she had learned to help others. Jasper was putting his training to good use, and that stirred a little jealousy in Sydney. But she was grateful that at least he could do something. At least he was still alive. Tears fell at the thought of that. It was a mix of happiness, but also bitterness that both her friends hadn't survived.

A few minutes later, the front door she originally had come through burst open, and Sydney hid behind the only chair in the room, trying to think of what her next move should be.

Jasper went further into the library, not out, so it can't be him, right?

She ruled out the possibility of her beating whoever it was in a fight, only because of the condition of her leg. She felt confident that any other day she would be able to take on whoever just came in, but today they caught her off her game. Instead, she had to trust they couldn't see her, and hope they'd just pass her by. But, then they'd be headed toward Jasper, and she had no way to warn him.

She quieted her thoughts the moment she heard footsteps run into the room she was in. They paused, and then she heard stuff fall to the ground.

"No. God, please, not her too!"

Jasper.

"How could I manage to lose them both?!" he cried out.

Sydney crawled as quickly as she could to him.

"I'm here. I'm right here."

He didn't hesitate to help her to her feet and hug her.

"Oh, thank God. I thought I took too long and they had gotten to you," he said into her hair.

Sydney pulled back from the embrace, slightly hopping on her one good leg.

"What do you mean, they?" she asked, her right brow raising in curiosity.

"Well, I didn't settle for just what was in the library because I knew books weren't going to be enough," he said, looking to his feet.

Sydney looked down as well and saw what Jasper had brought back.

"Where did you get those!?" she asked, incredulously. At his feet were three pistols, 9 mil. ammo, a gun strap, two holsters, and a rifle, along with one crutch. It was obviously meant for her.

Wow. That's an impressive haul.

"I saw on the map of campus in the hall that the security office wasn't too far from here. I figured there'd be something in there, and luckily, security was busy dealing with the current mess to guard their office," Jasper said, a slight beam coming through at the realization of his genius.

"The crutch was in lost and found. I figured you'd prefer it over me carrying you," he winked.

"More like you'd prefer," Sydney said as she reached for the crutch. Jasper reached out to steady her until she was settled.

"Honestly, I didn't mind as long as you weren't fidgeting all over the place. You barely weigh more than Li-" he started but didn't finish.

Liz.

Right now her name was too painful to speak, and he wore an apologetic look on his face at his blunder. It was true though. Liz was 5' even, though she always wore heels to add height, and she barely weighed one hundred pounds. Sydney, on the other hand was 5'4" and weighed in at one hundred and fifteen pounds. The difference wouldn't have been too obviously for someone as fit as Jasper.

"Well, you still haven't told me who 'they' are," Sydney said, changing the topic.

"I overheard some guards running by say that the mercenaries further east must be the cause. They were headed toward the front gate of campus. Apparently, there are gunshots going off in small towns along the border, but they're preparing for the likelihood that they'll come here to finish the job they started," he said, his face growing more furious by the second.

"Syd, I know it's alot right now, but we have to get moving. I don't think staying so close to where the bombs went off is a good idea. They probably were trying to take out as many future soldiers as possible."

Taking in a deep breath to process as much as she could, Sydney nodded.

"Right. Let's head to the mess hall. Maybe they have something on the news about this."

"Okay," Jasper said, picking up two pistols. "These are for you."

Sydney grabbed them, strapping them around her waist with the two holsters Jasper brought back. She pocketed some of the ammo, splitting it with Jasper. He strapped the rifle on his back and carried the other pistol in his hand.

"Let's go," he said, as they headed out the front door.

It was no surprise they couldn't cover ground as fast as before, with Sydney running with a crutch, but without the immediate threat the bombs posed, there was no need to move as quickly.

When they reached the mess hall, there was no more than ten other people there. Only one person had the stomach to eat and that was Baron. He was also the only face Sydney and Jasper recognized among them.

Baron was top of their graduated training class. Top in almost every field; Sydney was top of Agility. She was the fastest and quickest among their class, but Baron took top of everything else. His dark brown complexion stood out amongst the ghostly pale, traumatized people hiding under tables. As they approached, Baron's golden eyes watched, though never slowing his pace of eating.

"Hey, Baron," Jasper spoke first. "Got any clue of what's going on?"

Baron chewed what he had in his mouth, in no rush to answer Jasper's question. He kept his eyes on Sydney, looking her over.

"Well well, Rabbit. Looks like you got your leg caught in a trap," he said.

"If we retook our Agility test now, I think I'd get the full sweep I deserved," he smirked.

The annoyed expression on Sydney's face made his boisterous laugh fill the hall, booming off each wall.

"Well, Baron, if it takes me being injured for you to win, I won't be too disappointed with a loss," Sydney spat back.

"Hmmm, I see," Baron said, the smirk still resting on his face.

Uncomfortable with Baron's stare on Sydney, Jasper asked again, "Got any idea what's going on? You heard anything about why this happened?"

Baron just looked down at his plate, still eating.

"You know, I'm a soldier. Not a news reporter," he snarked. "You may want to check the telly."

Now he looked Jasper in the eye as a devilish smirk spread his face.

"But you may want to hurry. I'm sure you'll need to be leaving soon," he added, looking at Sydney this time.

Jasper grabbed Sydney's arm to help her move quicker as they headed to the back room where the televisions were.

"Good luck, Rabbit!" He cackled, filling the hall again with his thunderous chortle.

"What's he getting off about?!" Sydney exclaimed as they entered the lounge with the tvs.

Oooo, if I wasn't injured I'd smack the gall right out of him.

"Who knows. It's always something with him," Jasper said, as he focused on finding the remote.

As quickly as he found it, the tv was on and Nancy Blue was giving her rundown of what was going on. She sat at her usual spot, behind her burgundy brown desk, with her signature blue dress on, and her dark brown hair in a pinned updo.

"The nation can't help but mourn the loss of such young lives. The change makers of tomorrow. Such violence and brutality unlike any other. We send our love to you on Galdon University's campus."

"Oh, give me a break," Sydney mumbled.

"Shhhh," Jasper hushed. "Just listen."

Nancy continued, "So far our sources tell us that the heinous attack in Centre Park and the assassination of President Hayes is considered to be an inside job, possibly committed by an angry student."

"Woah, what?" Sydney said, at a loss for words. "They think one of us did it?"

She looked to Jasper, who was still holding her up, but his eyes were glued to the screen.

"Can you believe this, Jasper? They think one of us is stupid enough to do this! What about the mercenaries?!" Sydney shouted, unable to control her anger.

Liz is dead and they aren't even looking for the people who killed her!

"Syd," Jasper said, still watching the tv.

"What?!" Sydney said, much harsher than intended.

"They don't just think one of us did it," he said, barely louder than a whisper.

"What do you mean?" she asked, confusion starting to creep in. She watched as Jasper turned to face her, his blue eyes glassy, like ice.

"Syd, they think you did it," he said, his face somber.

Disbelieving, she turned to look at the screen. Just as Jasper had hinted, she saw her face on the screen next to Nancy Blue's, who was still talking.

"It is believed Miss Donovan strongly disagreed with some of the opinions of the president in regards to female soldiers. We believe she may have tried to take matters into her own hands in order to be heard. Here are a few words from her counselour, Mrs. Dawson."

The screen changed to Mrs, Dawson's office, where the counselor was postured to tell her story. Sydney hadn't noticed how frigid she'd become until Jasper enveloped her in his arms.

"Syd, you don't need to hear this," he said, trying to protect her.

"No, no. I do," she disagreed. "I want to hear every lie they tell."

"Well, Nancy," Mrs. Dawson began. "I certainly wish we were speaking under different circumstances, but nonetheless, let's get on with it."

Her glasses in the shot had a slight glare, making it difficult to see her brown eyes as they projected an image of Sydney she knew was false.

"Miss Donovan started coming to me early this year. She was getting closer to graduating her Training Course, which would qualify her for consideration to be a possible soldier in our great Galdean Military. Unfortunately, she shared on numerous occasions, including this morning, and I quote, 'President Hayes should get his head out his butt and wake up. He needs to change his sexist attitude toward women soldiers or we'll be better off without him.'"

"Syd, seriously?" Jasper asked.

"Hey, don't judge me. You know I have a temper, plus this stuff was supposed to be confidential!" she snapped.

Mrs. Dawson continued, "In the many sessions I've had with this young lady, it became clear to me that she was very angry. She said that as she got older, she began to see the unfair advantages men had to excel in training. I believe she expected to have less challenging physical expectations than her male peers because of her female build."

"Oh that is a load of bull-"

"We have to get you out of here," Jasper interrupted.

"What? I can't run! If I do it will make me look guilty!" Sydney protested.

"Syd, don't you see? They're trying to cover up what's really going on here. They're trying to stop widespread panic by using you as the scapegoat."

"What do you mean?" Sydney's mind was frying.

First Liz and now this?

"Syd, they haven't even mentioned the mercenaries further east. My guess, they don't want Galdon to know we're under attack. They'd rather it look like a self-righteous student lost her mind."

He was holding both of Sydney's shoulders, forcing her to look him in the eyes. Her lip trembled as reality began to sink in.

"I can't lose you too," he whispered, pain in his eyes. "I couldn't protect Liz, and I'll hate myself forever for it."

"It's not your fault, Jasper," Sydney said, reaching out to hold his face, trying to comfort him. "Don't do that. Please, don't do that to yourself."

"I have a chance, with you. I have a chance to save you, and I'm taking it."

"What? How? What are you getting at?" Sydney asked, thoughts running wild as she looked into the face of the only real friend she had left.

"My uncle. He's a pilot, he'd do this for me, I know it," he said as he started formulating a plan in his mind. "Come on!"

He started pulling Sydney out the mess hall, the same way they came. Still processing what her life had become since this morning, Sydney followed, silent. As they exited the front door, she got one last quip from Baron.

"Run, Rabbit! Run! Hahahahaha!"

The last thing she heard was his laugh, as it shook every bone in her body. Jasper must have felt her slowing, because he threw her over his sholder and kept running.

What did I do to deserve Jasper?

Sydney's mind was flooded with thoughts of gratitude for him. She knew she wouldn't have made it through this without him. She'd probably still be crying at the library, or dead among the bodies at Centre Park. She'd probably have faced the same fate as Liz. In that moment, she was grateful she hadn't seen her friend's lifeless body. She couldn't imagine the toll it took on someone to live with that image for the rest of their lives.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.9K 757 22
** Picks up where The Edge of Hell (Mitchell Brothers Series Book One) left off** If there's one thing Declan Mitchell learned from watching his mama...
267K 13.2K 28
! NO LONGER WRITING THIS VERSION OF THE STORY - PLEASE GO TO MY PROFILE AND SEE MY BOOK 'The Monster's Stratagem' FOR THE 2.0 VERSION ! * * * Highe...
259 70 14
| Game of Thrones fanfic becomes Sci-Fi book | Slow-Burn Double Love Triangle | Would you change your body for a robotic one? ❈ ❈...
525K 14.8K 52
˗ˏˋ꒰ ✨ ꒱ - ̥۪͙۪˚┊❛ 𝐑𝐄𝐃𝐀𝐌𝐀𝐍𝐂𝐘 ❜┊˚ ̥۪͙۪◌ ╰┈➤ ❝ [(n.) The act of loving the one who loves you; a love returned full.] ❝If it were up to me, I'...