Frisson

By lunarseas

After one feverish night with Tyler Evans, Rory is never supposed to see the man draped in enigmas and devili... More

𝒇𝒓𝒊𝒔𝒔𝒐𝒏
BOOK ONE | BETRAYAL
00 | one night with the devil
01 | something more
02 | fragments of yesterday
04 | office affairs
05 | the evans' lair
06 | i fucked your girlfriend
07 | ungodly
08 | your truth
09 | daddy dearest
10 | mystify
11 | petals in the garden
12 | between you and me
13 | candor
14 | secrets, secrets
15 | the king maker
16 | something like love
17 | uninvited
18 | daddy's girl
19 | a hint of night
20 | anarchy
21 | under his influence
22 | as it was
23 | fearless
24 | insecure
25 | a million years
26 | white boy dance
27 | she
28 | entangled
29 | family ties
30 | power
31 | how long is long enough?
32 | control
33 | how to say im in love
34 | intoxication
35 | insomniacs
36 | too close for comfort
37 | behind the veil
38 | broken spells
39 | the best mistake
40 | passion, love, lust
41 | nowhere to go
42 | haunting
43 | heartless
44 | who you are
45 | betrayers
46 | alone
47 | how deep is your love?
48 | you were never there
49 | reflection
50 | a chance

03 | the perfect son

12.6K 573 461
By lunarseas

c h a c e

'Don't disappoint me.' Thwack, thwack, thwack! Father's words loom over my head as I throw my fists into the punching bag. Thwack! A jolt shoots up my arm. I hit harder. 'Don't embarrass me.' Sweat drips into my left eye. A quick swipe and it's off before I throw another punch. Fire burns my lungs. I nearly choke. It shouldn't matter what he thinks of her. It doesn't. All that matters is what she means to me. Thwack! The bag smacks into the wall behind it. I flinch and hold it fast before it can do any damage.

"Jeez." Never mind the bad form, how can one business dinner make me this anxious? If Dad were to find any damage done to my house, he'd be down my throat again. He already questioned why I needed a punching bag when I first had it installed downstairs. That, and the wine cooler.

Rubbing my forehead with the back of my wrist, I catch my breath and my bearings. It's just one weekend. You asked her because you're ready for this. Both of you are. I grab my water bottle and chug for bit before tossing it aside. Blood rushes through my body, and my heart pounds in my ears, but I hear my phone vibrating on the loveseat next to the cooler. Unstrapping my boxing gloves, I grab it to see a text from Rory.

○R: Nervous about Friday. I'm afraid your parents won't like me.

○C: Doesn't matter what they think, I reply then quickly add, mom is chill, dad is old school. He still tells me to cut my hair a certain way. If I can't appease him, no one can.

○R: Damn, that's rough lol

Disapproval is my father's natural state of being. So, it doesn't matter what he thinks of Rory. Her comfort is all that matters. My family has ruined more than half of my relationships. This is one I refuse to let go down the same road. Getting past my family drama is just one horn on the bull. I look down at my swollen, red knuckles, only now registering the pain blistering through them. Might be for the best that she doesn't know about everything else. "Time for new gloves," I mutter.

I've been at it for too long tonight. After the three-hour meeting Dad called to go over the Hyeong-Rhee's earnings, my brain is fried. Stress tied knots from my shoulders down to my fingertips, and I don't think I hit the bag enough times to loosen any of them. Numbers, etiquette, inheritance, perfection. Friday has to be perfect or else. Or else what? Sleep won't come easy if these thoughts don't go away.

I text Rory good night as I climb upstairs to prepare for a shower and bed. She's probably preparing for bed as well since she typically starts her workday at four so she can be done by noon.

"Finally!"

"What the f-" I freeze on the last stair and prepare to lob my phone at my brother's face all the way in the living room. "Ty?" I let go of my breath once I realize he's not an intruder...at least, one that's not related to me. "You said you'd never abuse access to my house."

"I'm not!" He climbs over the back of the couch and rushes to me. My insides crumple thinking about the dirt his shoes just left on my eggshell white furniture. "I have nowhere else to go."

"You finally show your face after months and it's because you need something, right?"

He slows down and lowers his arms he was probably going to use to hug me. "Ouch. Love you too, man."

"Agh. Sorry." I exhale into my palms and shake my head. "Had a meeting with Mom and Dad a few hours ago. Just got done trying to relieve some stress."

He takes in my sweaty attire and nods. "I heard. Let me guess, more training to take over the big family business?"

"Basically."

"Why do you want to take over their scummy business anyway? Aren't you happy with the gym? Plus, you sell those supplements or whatever."

I shrug. "I've been training for it all of my life."

"That's not an answer."

"What else do you want me to say?" I reach over for an embrace, patting his back. The aroma of denim and pinecones are reassuring. He lacks the usual pungent smell of a jail cell or (as of late) blood. "How have you been? You disappeared on me." I flip on some lights on the wall behind him.

"I'm doing fine." He steps back and shoves his hands littered with faint bruises into his jean pockets. Locks of hair fall over his shifting eyes. "Haven't been in cuffs for three months straight now."

"Oh? Congratulations."

"Right?" He bobs his head with pride, but his hands are still hidden. It's hard to tell if he's fidgeting, but there's a slight sway in his stance. He's not high. His complexion is clear, and his gaze is strong. He's clean; nervous? "Officer Joe called me to see if I was still alive."

"Damn." Going around the corner, I grab a towel from the linen closet next to the bathroom and dab my forehead. "Are you two that close?"

Narrow shoulders rise to his ears like a child's. "The guy is starting to like me. I'm not complaining though. Anyway, be lucky that I'm here right now. I almost didn't come back due to certain circumstances."

"Why? What circumstances?"

Shadows cross his face like a storm covering the sky. "You know why I don't like going to these stupid family business dinners."

Ah. Our father. Hatred has always burned especially bright in Tyler for him, a hatred that hasn't fizzled out despite years of apologies and separation. "He's been better."

"Is that so?" He turns his back to me and goes back to the open floor. "Don't know why I expected you to think any differently."

"You have to admit that I used to be hardheaded. Sometimes, I wonder if I've improved at all over the years." It's supposed to be a joke, but my insides curl up and die.

Tyler turns around with clenched fists. "Why are you still defending him?" His voice cracks but he's too angry to show embarrassment.

Around we go again. Defeat weighs me down, and I toss my hands up. "I don't know why he does the things he does half of the time, but he's our dad. We-"

"Your dad. Don't call that bitch my dad."

I nearly choke. "Am I not your brother?"

The shadows darken. "That's different."

"Caroline is a mother to me."

Tyler breathes in and out like a bull; I imagine him kicking up dirt, ready to charge. Forgetting his bruises, he puts them on full display as he claws at the air. "You know why it's different."

I pretend to. Tyler doesn't explain his hatred for my dad. If anyone should hate him, it's me, but I've grown from the boy I once was. In reality, we were troubled kids who made a lot of mistakes. I matured from mine. Tyler as he was the last time I saw him, still has a ways to go.

The Evans image must remain pristine and wealthy for our parent's business. Tyler, as much as I love him, isn't exactly the image of perfection. The number of times we've had to secretly bail him out of jail or send him to rehab can't be counted on a dozen hands. Though that's the least of my concern now. It's been nearly four months since we've talked, and we're about to spend a weekend together as a family again. I know he misses throwing chaos into my life as much as I enjoy fixing it.

"I know you didn't break in here to complain about Dad. What's up?" I try out a smile and pat his shoulder. "Trying to use my place as a way to fuck without Jeffery knowing?" Going to the living room, I sit on the sofa nearest the TV and continue wiping my sweat away. With a quick glance, I find his shoe prints and wipe those away as well.

Tyler forces out a sound that might be a chuckle. Rubbing the back of his neck, he follows like a timid doe. "I actually have a question for you."

"Shoot."

"So..." His eyes dart left and right while he tucks his hands into his pockets. "I got evicted-"

"Again, Tyler? What did you do this time?"

"Dude, it was that asshole that lives down the hall!" He plops down next to me. "He started talking about me and Jeffery, calling us fags and shit."

My heart sinks. "Let me guess, you-"

"I kicked his ass 'cause he deserved it!"

"Wish I could have been there for you." I cover my eyes with my sore hands. "Sorry you went through that." Uncovering my face, I'm met with his pleading expression. The same one I've protected since we were young. This isn't the first situation like this, and I'm starting to think there will never be a last. Where Tyler goes, chaos follows, and I'll always be there to clean it up for him.

"Chace, you gotta let me move back in. Just for a few months until I get back on my feet."

"A few months?"

"I was behind in rent and-"

"Jesus, Ty."

"I know, I know." He stands up and folds his hands in a praying manner. "I swear, I got a couple legit jobs piled up. I'll give you half of what I make, stay out of your hair, and keep the sex at my partner's place." He lists these things off as if he's rehearsed it a million times.

"You know I have a girlfriend, right?"

"That's fine." Tyler cuts his hands through the air. "If you guys wanna fuck, I'll step out."

"What am I going to do with you?"

He cocks his head to the side with a victorious grin. "I'm guessing this means I can move in?"

With a grunt, I rise from the couch and land a heavy hand on his shoulder. "Like I could say no to you. Just saying, Rory and I are pretty active."

Tyler narrows his eyes for a moment. "Rory?" A beat passes. "Have I met a Rory before?"

"No idea, but I have a feeling you'll like her. She's free-spirited, funny, and a bit of a badass." My heart thuds but I keep my expression neutral.

A playful glint bounces in his gaze. "Are you trying to make me like your girlfriend before I even meet her?."

"Just saying, I think you guys could get along. She also has a habit of attacking people who annoy her."

This makes him laugh, a genuine sound that I rarely get to hear these days. "You've never really been excited to introduce one of your girlfriends to the family. In fact, when was the last time you had a girlfr-"

Our eyes lock. His lips stay parted. Pain prods my chest as memories try to break through. No. Don't go there. "Rory makes me happy, and I trust her."

"Good. Now I want to meet her." He nudges my shoulder with his knuckles, but it's weak and awkward. "What's she like? How old is she? What does she do?"

"Nineteen. I thought the age gap would become a problem at some point, but it really hasn't. She's in college, trying to start her own adult film brand. Dad won't approve at first, but if he keeps an open mind, I think he'll eventually fall for her charm. She's a businesswoman just like-"

"Waitwaitwait." Tyler holds his hand up and stares at me in shock. "Adult films? Like porn?"

Flames rise from my cheeks and I drag my eyes away. "It's more of a passion for making ethical sexual art."

"Porn."

"Technically, but it's more than that for her. She likes sensual, sexual, romantic things. She's got an unapologetic love and appreciation for physical affection that I honestly respect." A faint smile touches my lips as memories of months spent trying to figure out the lightning in a bottle that is Rory Hernandez flesh out. "With her, it's more about connecting with people and loving the process of giving and taking rather than just getting pleasure."

"Look at you!" Tyler shakes my arms with a brimming smile. "You're blushing and gushing about this girl. Do you see her being the one?"

I shrug him off while fighting my expression trying to mirror his. "We're just having fun. I'm fine seeing where things go for now. I mean, she said she's falling for me so..."

"And you're falling for her, you big softie."

"Shut up. I don't know. I think I am. I don't know what the hell is in our future, but hey, she's meeting the family so that's step one."

"And what a hell of a step it is."

now that we've u gotten a closer look at the brothers, what do you think?

-rae

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7M 60.3K 81
Diana is an 18 year old girl about to start her senior year until she bumps into a woman at the bookstore who has quite the personality. The woman ta...
1.5M 98.4K 191
**Story is gonna be slow paced. Read only if you have patience. 🔥** Isha Sharma married a driver whom she had just met. She was taking a huge risk...
782K 20.7K 43
Limited Time SALE: 40% off! Unlock the next part for 3 Coins or the whole story for 30 Coins only until May 5. While moonlighting as a stripper, Emer...
552K 34.4K 48
𝐈𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐓𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐰𝐞𝐛𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐬, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐩𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐮𝐢𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐓𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐬, 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐰𝐞𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐬 𝐢𝐭𝐬 𝐦𝐞𝐬𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐳𝐢𝐧𝐠 �...