The Life He Never Knew

By Glyon1

We all know the story of Lily and James Potter and their tragic death. But, what if they didn't die? What if... More

Foreword
Prolouge
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
A/N
Chapter 9

Chapter 4

174 5 0
By Glyon1

Harry Potter was now eleven years old. Technically, he had only been eleven for 3 minutes, but he was still eleven. He flopped down on the floor. Now what? He had stayed up late to witness his eleventh birthday, and now he couldn't fall asleep. His eleventh birthday was very important, because that was the birthday when his Hogwarts letter would arrive. But Hogwarts letters didn't arrive at midnight. He sighed and closed his eyes, imagining what his time at Hogwarts would be like. It would be wonderful! He would be in Gryffindor, like his parents, and have a group of kind, loyal friends, like his parents. Life would be -

"SURPRISE!!!!!" The door was flung open and James can sauntering in, Lily just behind him.

"Happy birthday!" James cried.

"Dad?! Mum?! What're you doing?" Harry demanded.

"Surprising you!!" James replied loudly.

"Shhhh," Lily said. "Let's not wake the whole neighborhood! Happy birthday, dear. I hope we didn't wake you up," she fretted.

"Mum, it is midnight, and you think you woke me up? Of course you did!" Harry teased.

"I'm so sorry! James wanted to surprise you, and I figured this was an important birthday - I'm really sorry!" 

"Mum, it's fine. You didn't wake me up. I was already up. Don't worry. I'm really happy you're here!" Harry soothed.

Lily relaxed. "What should I expect?" She muttered. "He is James's son after all."

James grinned. "That's my boy! Now, present time!"

"At midnight?" Harry asked.

"Can you think of a better time?" James demanded.

Harry just grinned and grabbed the first present off the floor. It turned out to be a book from his mum called Quidditch Through the Ages. "Thanks mum!" He exclaimed.

The other present was a note. It read:

Dear Harry, 

I'm afraid that you are going to have to wait for this present. I will give it to you on September 1st. Happy Birthday. 

 Love, Dad                                                                                                                                                                               

Harry looked up at his father, curiously. "What is it?" he asked.

James just smiled. "I guess you'll have to find out!"

Harry was eating breakfast when the owl came. It swooped in grandly, and dropped the letter in front of him. He picked it up, feeling excitement surge through him. This letter practically determined his future! 

"Mum!" he cried. 

Lily turned. "Yes?"

"It came!" Harry was grinning like crazy.

"James!" Lily called. James came sprinting into the room. 

"Yes?"

"My letter came!" Harry said happily.

"OPEN IT!!!" James shrieked, sounding a lot like an over excited child.

Beaming, Harry ripped open the letter.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and  WIZARDRY Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore (Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Scorer., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)
Dear Mr. Potter,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry . Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.Term begins on September 1 . We await your owl by no later than July 31 .

Yours sincerely,
Minerva McGonagall
Deputy Headmistress

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

UNIFORM
First-year students will require:
1. Three sets of plain work (black)
2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear
3. One pair of protective gloves ( hide or similar)
4. One winter cloak (black, with silver fastenings)Please note that all pupil's clothes should carry name tags.

COURSE BOOKS
All students should have a copy of each of the following:

  The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1)
by Miranda Goshawk

A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot

Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling

A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch

One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi
by Phyllida Spore

Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
by Newt Scamander

The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection
by Quentin Trimble   

  OTHER EQUIPMENT

1 wand
1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)
1 set glass or crystal phials
1 telescope
1 set brass scales   

  Students may also bring and owl OR a cat OR a toad.

PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICKS 

Lily smiled. "I sense an upcoming trip to Diagon Alley!"

Harry stood between his parents as they spoke with the goblin before they were led off to the carts. Harry loved the carts in Gringotts. Lily hated them, but James and Harry always made a game out of it.

When they arrived at their vault, James jumped out of cart as the goblin unlocked the door. James gathered some money up, before getting back in the cart.

"All set!" he said happily.

The cart ride back, James screeched like a hyena until Lily, looking green, threatened to put a silencing charm on him.

As they got out of the cart, Harry spotted Hagrid, their good friend.

"Hagrid!" he called, running up to him and giving him a hug.

"'Arry!" Hagrid smiled, giving him a bone crushing hug.

"What are you doing here?" Harry asked curiously.

"'Ogwarts buisness," Hagrid answered casually.

"This is all that is in the vault sir," the goblin helping Hagrid said, pushing a grubby package toward him.

"That's all I need," Hagrid said quickly as he stuffed the package away. "Well, nice seein' yeh Harry. I best be going," Hagrid waved before hurrying away.

Lily came up behind Harry, frowning. "That was odd," she commented. "Usually he'd stay and chat. Maybe he was in a hurry."

"Maybe," Harry agreed, not really agreeing. He had a feeling that he wasn't supposed to see that grubby package that Hagrid had been picking up.

"Can we please go get an owl now?" Harry begged. 

"Hold on, sweetheart." Lily said. "We need to buy these books first."

"How's this," James said. "I'll take Harry to Eeylops Owl Emporium and you'll meet us there."

Lily hesitated before nodding. "Alright. Then we'll go to Ollivanders." 

Harry grinned. "C'mon dad!"

Eeylops Owl Emporium for was filled with owls of all kinds. Barn owls, Brown owls, Screech owls, Snowy owls, you name it.  As he looked over at the shelves with all the owls, there was one that caught his attention. She was a beautiful, bright white. Instantly, he knew that was the one he wanted.

"Dad!" he called. "C'mere!" 

James came over from looking at the Screech owls. "Did you find one?" he asked.

"That one," Harry pointed to the snowy white owl. 

She chirped at them, causing them to laugh.

James picked up the cage and carried it to the counter. "We'll take this one," he announced. 

Harry came up beside his dad. "May I hold the cage?" he asked.

"Oh Merlin!" the lady at the counter exclaimed. "You're Harry Potter!"

"Erm, yeah." Harry said, confused. This must be another on of those people who were obsessed with him or something.

"What an honor! Is this owl for you? On the house! I suppose you'll be attending Hogwarts this year? Are you nervous or excited?"

"Um, I'm excited. And I wanna pay for the owl. I won't take it for free. It's not right. You'd have to give everyone a free owl and that's isn't good for business."

The lady chuckled. "A smart one you've got here, James," she said.

James beamed proudly and handed the woman 15 galleons for the owl. 

They met Lily at Ollivanders: Makers of Fine Wands Since 382 BC. Harry was almost leaping out of his skin with excitement. He was about to get a wand. They stepped through the door, and a small bell jingled. Mr. Ollivander came out from the back.

"Ah. Harry Potter. I was wondering when you would show up." he commented. Mr. Ollivander then nodded to James and Lily. "James Potter. 11", Mahogany, pliable. Powerful and excellent for transfiguration." 

James nodded.

Mr. Ollivander turned to Lily. "Lily Evans, or I guess it is Potter now. 10¼", Willow, swishy. Great wand for charms."

Lily smiled and touched her wand lightly with her finger. 

"And a powerful wand that changed the wizarding world forever," Mr. Ollivander commented. "13½", Yew, phoenix feather core. I'm sorry to say that I did indeed sell that wand." he looked at Harry, as though expecting a reaction. "Many lives were ruined," Mr. Ollivander said sadly. "Until someone ended it all." His gaze drifted to Harry.

"Me?" Harry asked, without thinking. 

"Well, where did you think that scar came from?" 

"I dunno. Mum and dad always said that they would tell me when I was older. I guess I kinda forgot. It's just a part of me."

Lily and James both became suddenly fascinated with the floor.

"Well, perhaps I'm not the right person to tell you," Mr. Ollivander said briskly.

"Wait!" Harry cried. "Please tell me!"

"I'm sure you'll find out in due time. Probably before school. You can't go to school not knowing."

Harry sighed, knowing it was final. "So, wand?"

"Yes!" Mr. Ollivander exclaimed. "Let's see." He began taking measurement of Harry, and then ran off, only to come back with a wand. "Beechwood and dragon heartstring. Nine inches. Nice and flexible. Try it."

Harry waved it, realizing that he didn't know if there was a proper way to do this.

"No," Mr. Ollivander said firmly, snatching it away. He handed Harry another one. "Maple and phoenix feather. Seven inches. Quite whippy."

Harry gave it another wave. The window exploded and Harry dropped the wand in surprise. Mr. Ollivander picked it up and presented Harry with another one.

"Ebony and unicorn hair, eight and a half inches, springy."

This one was snatched away as well.

"Don't worry. We'll find one. I think I know just the one..." He came out holding a wand, a curious look on his face. "Try this one.  Holly and phoenix feather, eleven inches, nice and supple. An usual mix."

All at once, Harry felt a warmth from the tips of his fingers all the way down to his toes.

"Ah," Mr. Ollivander said. "Curious. Very curious." He bustled around, putting wands away and repairing the window.

"What's curious," Harry and James asked at the same time as Lily handed him 7 galleons.

Mr. Ollivander turned and said softly, "Well, you see, Mr. Potter, the wand chooses the wizard. In the core of your wand it a phoenix feather. But that phoenix did not give one feather. It gave two. And its twin was the one that gave you that scar." With that, Mr. Ollivander disappeared to the  back of the store.

Harry stood, speechless. After a moment, he turned to look at his parents. "You have a lot to tell me."

The 3 Potters were sitting in the living room after the trip to Diagon Alley. "I just want to know what is going on," Harry said. "Why did Mr. Ollivander say what he did? Why do people know me? Why do people stare at me? What did I end? Who was-" Harry stopped, remembering. "When you used to tell me stories of Voldemort, you always said he vanished mysteriously. But I did it. Wait, what?"

Lily shifted in her seat. "Harry, there's a few things your father and I need to tell you."

Ding dong! Ding dong!

James jumped up. "I'll get it," he said.

Lily and Harry sat in silence, waiting. James came back into the room, with Albus Dumbldore just behind him.

"Professor Dumbledore!" Lily exclaimed. "What a pleasant surprise!"

Dumbledore smiled warmly. "Good afternoon, Mrs. Potter. And as I have said before, you may call me Albus."

"Sorry Prof-Albus. I'm just so used to calling you that," Lily said.

Dumbledore smiled again. "I'm actually here on important business," he said, getting straight to the point.

"Yes?" James prompted.

Dumbledore turned to Harry. "Hello," he said. "In case you haven't figured it out, I am Professor Dumbledore, Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I understand you are attending this year?"

"Yes sir," Harry replied. His parents had always spoken highly of Dumbledore, but he had never met him. Well, his parents said he had stopped by when he was much younger, but Harry didn't remember it. 

"Well, first I'm going to need to speak with your parents,"Dumbledore added. "You won't mind stepping out of the room for a few minutes?"

"Er, no sir," Harry replied. "I'll be in my room." He turned and began trooping up the stairs, wondering what Dumbledore needed to talk to his parents about.

Lily sat next to James in the living room on the couch. Dumbledore sat in the chair across from them.

"There are somethings we need to discuss regarding Harry Potter. He is going off to school this year, and it is time you know."

Lily and James exchanged glances.

"There are some things that I am not able to tell you, and I'm sorry. But we still have much to discuss. 10 years ago, when Lord Voldemort entered your home to kill Harry Potter, Jane Evans, your mother, was killed instead."

Lily looked away.

"You asked me how. I told you it was love. It is time I tell you a little more. Now, usually, it is a parents love that is strong enough for this, and a parent's love alone. But Jane Evan's love protected Harry. How? She might not have done it if she didn't know you were there and would be killed as well. Her love for you, Lily, her daughter, combined with the love for Harry and James, was enough to protect Harry. She was willing to lay her life down for your family. And that she did. Love is very strong, very powerful. Jane Evan's love runs deep in Harry Potter's blood, protecting him. Voldemort couldn't destroy him, because he was touched by something so good."

There was a moment of silence, as Lily and James took that in. Dumbledore paused for a moment, allowing them to process this.

"So, if my mum hadn't died, Harry would have?" Lily asked.

"Unless you or James stepped forward, yes, he would have, and Lord Voldemort would still have a body today."

"Have a body?" James repeated Dumbledore's odd choice of words. "As in, he's still alive?"

"I believe so," Dumbledore said gravely. "Now, for the next thing you must know. When Voldemort did this, I believe that he placed a piece of himself in Harry, giving him some of his own powers. And the fact that Voldemort's twin wand chose Harry, is no coincidence. I believe that the wand recognized Harry's destiny, and will help him fulfill it."

"His destiny?" Lily asked.

"Yes," Dumbledore replied. "To destroy Voldemort once and for all. Now, you mustn't tell Harry any of this. I will tell him when the time is right. There is more, but we must wait. We must wait until the time is right."

"You mean we can't tell him?!" James exploded.

"Well, you didn't tell him what happened on the night of October 31st, 1981," Dumbledore pointed out.

"That was on your orders!" James retorted. 

"My point exactly. You can manage. We shan't force, but lead the boy to his destiny. Now, I'm assuming you will tell him why he bears the lightning scar?"

"If that's alright..." Lily said hesitantly.

"I believe it is wise. He can't go to school not knowing. I must be going now. I'll see Harry at school!" With that, he turned on the spot and was gone. A stunned silence filled the Potter home. 

"Well," James said, breaking the silence. "That was one hell of a visit!"

In his room, Harry read through a couple interesting parts of his school books, like his mother had recommended. They were actually rather interesting. He found a name in one that he liked; Hedwig. This became his new owl's name. Was just opening another book when he heard his mum calling him.

"Harry!" Lily called.

"Coming!" he called back.

The Potters sat back down in the living room, just as they had before. 

"So," James said. "Your mum and I have a story to tell."

Harry looked at them expectantly.

"This is the story of why wizards all over the world know your name," James said. "On October 31st, 1981, when you were just 1 year old, your mother and I were returning home from some things we had to take care of. Now, we had been in hiding for about a week because we were part of a group that resisted Voldemort. We knew that he would be after us and probably you. Anyway, your mother and I can home, to find the door blasted away and the front hall a wreck. And then we heard voices. The voice of Lord Voldemort, and your grandmother." James stopped there for a moment.

"My grandmother?" Harry echoed. He had heard that she had died at the hands of Lord Voldemort, but hadn't known the situation. 

Lily nodded. "My mum."

"Your grandmother was pleading with Voldemort, you see. Pleading, for your life. She begged for mercy. She told Voldemort to kill her instead, to leave you alive and take her life. Lily and I got upstairs to your room. You were in your crib. Voldemort knew we were there. He said he would kill us too. Jane begged him to take her and leave us. He killed her, right in front of us. And then, he tried to kill you. But it backfired. No one knows why. All anyone knows, is that that night, Lord Voldemort disappeared, and hasn't been seen since."

"I got rid of him?" Harry asked. "That's why everyone stares at me? Because I made him go away? He's dead?"

"Well," Lily said. "That we're not sure of. We don't know if he's dead."

"That's where this scar is from. He gave it to me. That's why Mr. Ollivander was so fascinated with me. And our wands share cores. That - that's why. That's why everyone knows me. That's why people are excited to meet me. I'm famous. Why didn't you tell me?"

"We didn't want to upset you." Lily answered. "We knew you were just a kid."

Harry stared at them. "Don't you think that was something I should know about myself? Isn't that and important part of me?"

"Well, yes, but-" James started.

"But what? You didn't want me to know that-that I'm the reason my grandmother is dead?!" Overwhelmed with all different emotions, Harry turned and stomped toward his room. He flopped down on his bed and closed his eyes. And then he remembered. Screaming. A flash of green light. Darkness. And then a voice. He didn't know it, but he remembered it.    

"One thing is for sure. Harry Potter will be the most famous wizard in the world."

A/N:

Harry knows! Anyway, thanks so much for reading. Let me know what you think will happen next in the comments! Recently I changed my tagged book to a random book, so be sure to check that out. See you next week for the next update!

-Glyon1

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

184K 3.8K 13
Lilian Jennifer Potter is the twin of Harry James Potter. She was there all though out his life, 1,2,3,4,5 years she's been through thick and thin. S...
3.5K 124 8
Harry James Potter began his life hated, soon he used his talents to become famous, as his popularity rose his social understanding rose just as fast...
309K 7.2K 30
Harry James Potter and (Y/n) Lily Potter are The Chosen Twin. They are The Twin Who Lived. The one who lived once they lost their parents who protect...
39 10 10
After losing the ultimate battle between good and evil, Harry Potter is thrust into a horrifying world where everyone he even dared to care about is...