Apollo

By 8leanne8

WITH EVERY SUNSET COMES A NEW SUNRISE. [sequel to Artemis] Lord Emmett Portsmouth ruined the lives of the two... More

BLURB
COPYRIGHT STATEMENT & DISCLAIMERS
Foreword [Author's Note]
List of Characters
DEDICATIONS
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Announcement
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
ANNOUNCEMENT/STRAW POLL: ORION
Chapter Fourteen
ANNOUNCEMENT - #SafeLove
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen - PART ONE
Chapter Eighteen - PART TWO
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
A NOTE
Chapter Twenty-Five
THANK YOU
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Thirty - PART ONE
Chapter Thirty - PART TWO
Chapter Thirty - PART THREE
AFTERWORD [AUTHOR'S NOTE]
O R I O N

Chapter Twenty-Nine

935 52 9
By 8leanne8

LadyRowyn This one's for you! Thank you so much for being here since my earliest days writing on Wattpad and always being so supportive!! You've been something of a mentor for me and after every update I find myself waiting on your comment. You've been asking for this forever, and since the series is coming to an end, I thought I'd just do it. Enjoy!

THE FOUR OF THEM ENTERED THE BALLROOM TOGETHER ONCE VICTORIA had had her makeup redone and her red eyes soothed as far as they could be. The rest of the night was uneventful, and everyone was glad for it. There was music and dancing and laughter and plenty of delectable hors d'oeuvres, the guests fawned over the engaged couple, and Emmett and Victoria were more in love than ever.

At the end of the day, the guests left the castle slightly intoxicated and giggling, and the Lockharts and Ardens and St Jameses who had attended the party returned to their rooms for some much-needed rest. That is, all but Emmeline and Alexander, who retreated to the prince's private library for a late-night conversation.

"That was a splendid party, beloved, congratulations," he said as he pulled out a chair for himself.

She laughed, settling into a snug sofa beside him and pulling her feet up to tuck them under her legs. "Why, thank you. It might have been better if you hadn't hoarded all of my dances, there were plenty of guests I should have been talking to."

"Well, in that case I'm terribly sorry," he answered, equally teasing, "but I could hardly help myself. You are simply enchanting."

She laughed again, but she also started to blush then, her cheeks turning cherry red. As she gazed upon him, in the dim candlelight that they used to light the otherwise dark room, she noticed for perhaps the first time just how handsome he was, not just in terms of his sharp jaw and defined cheekbones but also in terms of the slight sparkle in his eye and the way he smiled at her. In that moment, she suddenly found herself feeling a feeling she hadn't felt for months now – since she'd last seen Peter. Her heart skipped a beat as she realised this.

They were only supposed to be friends – married but not in love. That had been the arrangement, and anything else felt strange.

And her heart...was it still owned by another?—She tried to think of Captain Peter Jamison and look away, but all she could see was her husband in front of her, and her eyes remained fixed on him. She realised that, with all the recent dramatics in her life, she had not thought of her former flame in a long time...and that in her darkest days of late she had found solace in this man in front of her. He made her laugh, he held her when she cried, and if there was anything she wanted he would go to the moon and back if it meant that she would have it. She did not know if Peter would ever have done the same for her – after all, he was never given the chance to love her as his wife, and he had chosen his career over her.

And she had never been allowed the opportunity to love Peter as she now loved this man. Peter was her suitor, but he had never been family. Her brown-haired, hazel-eyed captain had made her feel like a princess... Being married to Alexander had actually made her princess, but more than that the light-haired, blue-eyed Prince Charming before her made her feel like a queen. Was it betrayal to ever let herself love another man when she had promised her heart to Peter already...? Would it be fair to herself to never open her heart to anyone in her life, especially if she already knew that she would likely never again see Peter in her lifetime?—Should her past mean that she should never have romance in her future? Should Peter even be considered part of her past, when he was still out there, somewhere far away, perhaps still thinking of her?

Meanwhile he looked into her eyes, so green, shining in the candlelight, with her rosy cheeks illuminated by a yellow flame. She was aglow, reminiscent of an angel, and to him she was such an angel...such a blessing, with such a keen sense of humour and such a genuine heart and such a brilliant mind, with such great passion and such strong determination. He felt his breathing grow shallower and his heartbeat quicken just at the sight of her.

He loved her – in more ways than one, he now understood. He had always known that he loved her as a family member, as his dearest friend, as the one person in the universe who would always be by his side...but could he ever love her as anything else? Would she ever want him to? Did he already?

Perhaps it was the flutes of champagne that the both of them had downed during the party that blurred their judgement slightly, or perhaps it was the heat of the moment. Either way, neither of them found themselves wanting to give any of it too much thought – more than anything, they both wanted to live in the moment, and think of the consequences, moral or emotional, after.

"Can I...can I kiss you?" he asked, his voice barely a whisper.

And she found herself nodding 'yes'.

***

THE DAY OF THE WEDDING WAS DRAWING NEARER. AND WHAT A marvellously grand affair it would be – for huge efforts had gone into preparations for it from all parties. Both Emmett and Victoria were deeply invested in planning for the ceremony. Emmeline insisted on helping the couple get the very best of everything – food, decorations, invitations, flowers, clothes... Bethany Rutherford was responsible for overseeing the decoration of the palace chapel, and she beamed with pride all the while. Both her niece and nephew had found respectable partners, and the grandeur of it all made her giddy. And she would be attending the wedding in her sister Anne's place!—The very thought of it made her want to dance.

The fathers William and David were temporarily living in the castle, along with Emmett and Victoria, for convenience's sake. They wished to assist others in the preparations, but usually found themselves at a loss about how they could be of any help or hindering operations instead, and mostly spent their time reading, discussing matters of the court, or on long walks around the palace grounds.

And everyone was, of course, having new clothes of the finest quality fitted for them, on Emmeline's decree. Victoria's wedding dress would be the most costly of all, and Emmett was determined to pay for it himself. Emmeline let him.

When the day of the ceremony finally fell upon them, the palace chapel was packed with guests. Victoria Arden found herself standing where Emmeline had not so long ago, her father by her side, preparing to change her name.

"I will miss you, my dear," he said, patting her hand. "The house will be so empty without you."

"Oh, Papa..." Her eyes prickled with tears. "How will you deal with Mother on your own?"

"I will manage, Victoria, I have for decades now." He chuckled. "I will admit, however, that life will certainly be less bearable without you. Who else will I take to the library every evening?"

"Delilah mentioned...she told me once that she wanted to come with us. You ought to take her, Papa, if you can." A tear slipped down her cheek, and though his own eyes were red, David looked alarmed.

"Now, now, don't cry, darling, you look beautiful and your makeup will be ruined." Fishing a handkerchief out from his pocket, he daubed gently at her eyes. "Don't cry. This is a wonderful occasion."

"I—I cannot imagine living away from you," she choked out. "You will be all the way in Westchester! And I will be in Portsmouth."

"Portsmouth is beautiful, my dear, have you not always loved the sea?"

"I know, and I have, but – but it is so far from you..."

"I promise to visit often," he said. "You are always welcome home as well."

"I know, I know, but..."

"Emmett Lockhart loves you dearly," he said, "and you love him also. You will be happy there, I promise. Marriages of love are a blessing unlike any other, Victoria, a blessing I never received. I hope you treasure it."

"I wish I could be with him without marrying!" she cried, and it was likely the most improper thing she had said all her life, with perhaps the exception of when she had rebuked her mother before her engagement party.

"Everyone must marry," he replied gently. "You are no exception, Victoria, it would pain me to see you a spinster. For if you never marry, who will take care of you when you are old and I have gone?"

"I know, I know all this." She sniffled. "I just wish..."

"Whatever you wish, my dear, I assure you I wish it even more. But let us not speak of it, it will only make this harder. And today should not be a day for grief."

"Oh, Papa, I love you."

"As I love you, my darling."

"I—" She was about to say something else when the doors to the nave opened, and she had to tighten her grip around her father's arm and walk through them.

She knew that her life would never be the same.

***

AND IT WAS NEVER THE SAME AGAIN. WHEN SHE ENTERED THE ROYAL ballroom for the party following her wedding ceremony that evening she was on her new husband's arm, not her father's, and she would likely never be presented to a crowd on her father's arm again. The crier announced their presence, addressing them as Earl Emmett Portsmouth and Lady Victoria Lockhart. All eyes turned to look upon the newlyweds, and instantly there was audible gushing about how lovely they looked together. When they went to greet the princess and their fathers, who were standing together in a nearby corner of the ballroom, Emmeline laughed at this, and was just about to tease her brother about it when her own husband appeared before her and whisked her away for a dance.

"Is Javier in attendance?" she asked him as they waltzed slowly.

"I don't believe so," he answered with a slight frown. "He feigned disinterest, but I reckon that he feels rather shunned. He is probably off drinking, as he tends to do whenever anything upsets him."

"Well, he had his chance with her," she sighed, "and unfortunately he chose to let her go – even when Lady Victoria was nearly on her knees begging."

There was some regret in his eyes as he nodded in agreement. "Indeed he did."

They would later find Javier missing, his horse gone from the stable, with nothing but a letter left behind. It would say that he was unhappy in the castle, in court, and that the wedding of the woman he still had some feelings for to another man had been the last straw for him. It would say not to look for him, that he would return home when he was ready to; that he was off to find himself again, to live a life that he loved. As Prince Alexander read the letter aloud, everyone in the room knew instantly that it meant that he was likely headed toward academic study; but no one said anything, for no one intended to go after him. He needed time to find peace and perhaps even happiness, and they all knew it.

But in that moment none of it mattered, because none of it was known unto them yet. Princess Emmeline looked over at her brother and his fiancée, both of whom looked absolutely enamoured with one another. She smiled lightly – her brother looked so happy. Then she looked into her husband's eyes and felt his arms around her, so reassuring, so full of love. Things were finally settling down, and she was glad for it. She'd had enough melodrama in the past year or so to last her a lifetime.

***

Hey everyone! I'm a little emotional right now because this is the second last update on Apollo. I would start talking about how grateful I am for all the love this story has received – and I am super grateful! – but that, I think, is better saved for the Afterword. So, as always, vote, comment, and share this story...and for the last time, till next Friday! *escapes to a corner to cry*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.1K 125 14
#1 in POTC - March 2017 This is a story about a girl, who falls in love with a horrible man. Can her sweet nature turn his cold heart into falling i...
2.6K 566 17
After two opposites find comfort in each other and have an instant connection but can't be together, they collide again months later and get a secon...
311K 9K 33
[Book 2 of DoA series] : Olivia Smith is trapped in a life she didn't want, in a world she hates. Being a goddess of light isn't all it's cracked up...
6.7K 266 13
ᴺᵒᵗ ᵃˡˡ ᵗʳᵉᵃˢᵘʳᵉ ⁱˢ ˢⁱˡᵛᵉʳ ᵃⁿᵈ ᵍᵒˡᵈ It all started with a punishment- her romance with Jack. Artemis never thought she would fall in love with a pira...