Life Of The Maurauders: 1

Door niallshoeran

The Maurauders: James Potter, Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, and Peter Pettigrew. This is the first book - first... Meer

It's A Holly, Jolly Christmas
Defense Against The Dark Arts
Blood Supremacy
Remus, Are You Okay?
Where Are You Going?
Kick It Into Overdrive
Surprise Quizzes and Other Surprises

The Sorting

170 3 2
Door niallshoeran

"You all here an' safe?" Hagrid asked, once all the pupils had been helped out of the boat. He was holding onto Peter, who wore Hagrids oversized coat. He had fallen into the moat on the way to Hogwarts, when Sirius asked Peter to help them turn the oars a second time and Peter had accidentally fallen.

The pupils nodded.

"Check ter see everyone who was in yer boats have gotten out with yeh." Hagrid said, and the pupils looked around to confirm that all their boat-mates were off the boats with them.

"Alright then, if yeh all have gotten out safe an' sound, I'll be leavin' yeh all here, while I go back to me hut. Professor McGonagall's going ter come fetch yeh - she's a teacher here, an' so yeh all have ter respect her."

Hagrid waved goodbye and walked to his small hut at the end of the pathway.

Within five minutes, McGonagall thrust open the doors. "You all are the first years, aren't you?" she asked.

"That we are, Professor McGonagall, ma'am!" Sirius shouted out cheerfully. Remus, James and Peter snickered, but Lily and Severus maintained their glare of disapproval.

"I'd appreciate your silence, boy." McGonagall said fiercely. She scrutinized Sirius for a second. "One of the Black family, are you, then?"

Sirius nodded.

McGonagall raised her eyebrows. "Your mother, Walburga, was a student of mine." she said. She looked as if she would have wanted to tell Sirius something more, but decided against it, saying to all the first years, "I'm Professor McGonagall, as Hagrid might have introduced, and Mr Black here shouted out. Head of Gryffindor House, and I'm here to take you all into Hogwarts for the first time, to get Sorted into your respective Houses. As I am sure you all know, the houses are Gryffindor, Slytherin, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff. You will be Sorted, by a most interesting method, into one of those houses.

"Now will you all please get into two orderly lines and come with me. You are about to enter the Great Hall."

She opened the doors, showing the pupils a wonderful sight as she let them all in. Chandeliers dotted the domed hall, making the place bright and cheery, a direct contrast to the sudden rain outside, and there were four tables in the hall. Each table was occupied by groups of pupils. The first table was occupied by a group of bright, happy-looking and boisterous children. The occupants of the second table were a group of very serious looking, but still cheery, pupils. The third table had a group of laughing pupils, some looking dreamy, but kind. The fourth table made some people shiver - its occupants looked extremely haughty, rude and scary.

"How will we get Sorted?" James whispered to Sirius as McGonagall went off somewhere to get something.

"I dunno." Sirius whispered back. "Mum said by a...a bat, or something."

"A bat?" Peter whimpered. "Do we have to...to knock out a creature or something, then? What's going to happen to us?"

"Not a bat," Remus whispered to the three. "A hat."

"Blimey, Remus, how'd you know that?" Sirius asked, sounding amazed.

Remus pointed up on stage. McGonagall was holding a tattered, torn hat. The pupils seated at the tables looked rather excited to see the hat, save for the last table of haughty students. But the first years, standing at the front of the Great Hall, were intrigued, but confused.

McGonagall set the hat on a stool in the middle of the stage and walked back, clutching a scroll in her hands.

Suddenly, the brim of the hat ripped open and the hat started to sing. The first years and the Hogwarts pupils looked on in awe.

"I'm the Sorting Hat and I will be,
For some, the first taste of magic.
I might be tattered and torn, I see you're looking forlorn!
But for Sorting I have many tactics.

One, I'll look
Right into your brain, where all your secrets will be.
Or two, I'll see
What your character is like, are you good or bad or scary?

And with all these details I will then decide
In which house to place thee.
There's Gryffindor, Slytherin, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, which oh which one will you be?

Will you be in the house of Gryffindor, where dwell the brave at heart?
Or in Slytherin, where Dark wizards might be.
Maybe Ravenclaw, for the smart and the witty,
Or in Hufflepuff, honest as can be

Without further ado, put me on your head, and let me decide for thee,
Which house you may go, out of the four,
Which one is supposed to take ye."

Everyone then applauded appreciatively. The Sorting Hat always did these songs.

Only the Slytherins, the occupants of the fourth table, looked angry and upset.

"Discriminatin' our house like dat." Yaxley scowled. "'Dose idiots going ter be hearin' from me tonight."

Sirius heard this, and shuddered. Suddenly, he wasn't sure he wanted to be in Slytherin. The people there seemed horrible - and the Hat said Slytherin turned out Dark wizards...Anyway, his best friend James didn't want Slytherin, and James seemed a good sort. Sirius was faced with a dilemma.

And with 'Abenezer, McKelly!' the Sorting began.

Sirius didn't have to wait long until it was his turn. "Black, Sirius!" McGonagall called.

Sirius paled slightly as he walked up the steps onto the stage. The Sorting Hat seemed to be staring somewhat encouragingly at him - was it supporting him?

In the audience, Sirius' cousins, Narcissa Black and Andromeda Tonks, belonging to Slytherin and Hufflepuff respectively, were looking at him. Narcissa gave him a look that said he had better get into Slytherin. Andromeda was smiling at him, telling him it was all going to be okay.

Sirius sat on the stool as McGonagall lifted the Hat off of the stool. The minute Sirius sat on the stool, McGonagall placed the Hat on his head and stepped back.

"A Black boy, are you?" the Hat suddenly said. Sirius jumped. He squeezed his eyes tightly shut - he imagined everyone must be laughing at him for talking to the Hat.

"Only you can hear me, Sirius." the Hat chuckled. "I keep conversations private, you know."

Sirius breathed a sigh of relief. "Oh. Good." he whispered.

Tha Hat started talking to itself - or maybe itself and Sirius. "Lots of wit, boy...but you're rather lazy, which causes you to slack in your studies...no, not Ravenclaw..."

"You're loyal, and honest...but you possess more cunning than either of those qualities...Slytherin, dear boy?"

"Not Slytherin." Sirius found himself mumbling. "Please not Slytherin."

"Why? All your family have been in Slytherin..."

"Yeah, but I'm not sure I want to be like my family." Sirius mumbled. "I've heard stories about Slytherin house...it's a horrible place...you yourself said, it turns out Dark wizards."

"Yes, it does." the Hat replied. "But Slytherin could help you, young Sirius...help you with your cunning, could give you fame, boy...are you sure?"

"Yes." Sirius replied, now firm. "I'd rather be in a house that does the right thing rather than fufill a bad wish of my family, if it's bad. Even if it means being in..." He gulped. "Hufflepuff."

"Maybe, but you're not a Hufflepuff type." the Hat told Sirius, sounding amused. "You're a brave one boy, so if you're sure not Slytherin...better be..."

Cold sweat trickled down Sirius' forehead.

"GRYFFINDOR!"

Sirius didn't know why, but he felt so much relief. He whipped off the Hat and gave it to McGonagall as all the houses - except Slytherin - clapped appreciatively for Sirius. Gryffindor cheered the loudest.

"Good job, boy!" someone cheered. Sirius looked down the row - it was a tall, somewhat lanky boy, with a whole crop of red hair.

"Th-thanks. I'm Sirius Black." Sirius introduced himself.

"Bilius Weasley. You'll recognise my brother, Arthur, and I, by our red hair. Very distinctive, you know." Bilius chuckled. He jabbed a thumb at another redheaded boy, who was engrossed in a conversation with a redheaded girl.

"That your sister?" Sirius asked.

Bilius started snickering. "No, not our sister." he laughed. "Little Arthur's girlfriend, Molly. Convenient that she happens to be a redhead, too."

Sirius laughed, easing his inner tension.

"You'll want to be careful where you step around this school." Bilius suddenly cautioned Sirius. "Appolyon Pringle, our old caretaker, used to be a little bit carefree about where we went around this school, but our new caretaker, Argus Filch, who came in two years ago, is more strict about the rules. And I'm telling you this because I recognise a bit of the first year me in you, and the first year me got into a load of trouble." Bilius chuckled.

Just then, the Hat shouted 'GRYFFINDOR!' again. Sirius looked up to find 'Evans, Lily' as a Gryffindor.

"Good on you!" Sirius said cheerfully, smiling at Lily. He shifted down the bench to make room for Lily. As there was no other space, she was forced to sit next to Sirius, but she refused to make eye contact with him or even talk to him.

Out of the remaining three boys Sirius had made friends with, Remus Lupin got Sorted next. Within three seconds, the Hat shouted, 'GRYFFINDOR!'.

After Remus, who sat shakily next to Sirius, or rather squeezed shakily next to Sirius, as there was limited space, Peter got Sorted, after a few names.

"Pettigrew, Peter!"

Peter stumbled up the steps, and after a long while, the Hat screamed, 'GRYFFINDOR!'.

Peter rushed to the Gryffindor table, where Sirius made room for him.

James stepped up after 'Pumann, Everdeen', and within a second the Hat grazed his head, it Sorted him...

Into Gryffindor.

James shrieked with joy as he squeezed Sirius' hand, rushing to the table. "Mate!" he said happily. "I'm in Gryffindor! In Gryffindor, I tell - argh!"

"What's wrong?" Sirius asked, concerned.

"Bloody ice cold shower feeling." James muttered.

Just then, a ghost popped out from underneath the table. "Sorry, young one!" the ghost said cheerfully. He shifted the ruffles on his collar. "Right sorry, I am. Didn't know it would make you feel that way."

"It's - it's okay." James said, slightly shocked that he was seeing a real ghost. "What's your name? I'm James Potter, and these are my mates." he introduced, sounding more bold.

"It's good that you have mates, James!" the ghost praised. "I'm Nearly Headless Nick."

"Why's that?" Sirius asked. He and James, it seemed, were the only two first years who coild stand the sight of the ghost. The rest were cowering in fear. Remus had an expression of mixed fear and confusion. Lily just looked confused and worried.

Peter was just downright scared.

"I would tell you, but your friends look very afraid of me." Nick replied.

"Nah, Nick's harmless." Bilius Weasley replied. "He's a fun guy to be around, you'll like Nick."

"Thank you, Mister Weasley!" Nick proclaimed.

"Show us, then!" Sirius said excitedly.

Nick grinned, then flipped off his head. He wasn't headless yet - about half an inch of skin and sinew was still holding his neck on.

"Oh, yuck!" Sirius laughed. "Great, Nick!"

Nick scoffed. "Not very great, Mister Black - it's one of the worst things about me, considering I can't join the Headless Hunt - good place for Headless people, you know, but as I'm only Nearly Headless, I can't go."

"How'd you know my name?" Sirius asked.

"You remind me of your father. In looks, perhaps, but not in values, it seems. Not an insult to your father, boy, but he looked most aggressive and arrogant."

Nick said this so casually that Sirius couldn't think of it as an insult.

"Uh, that's okay?" Sirius said, but it sounded more like a question than a statement.

"Jolly! Well, bye!" Nick smiled and zoomed away.

At that moment, James' plate levitated. He raised an eyebrow and lifted his plate with his hands.

"Hey, timetables!" James said gleefully, as everyone else's plate lifted with their timetables underneath them. "Sirius, check it out! Timetables! Our first Hogwarts ones!"

Sirius chuckled at James' kiddy reaction, and they looked through the small piece of cardboard that was, at that moment, part of heaven to James.

"Excellent, we have Herbology first thing." Sirius said happily. "With the...ugh! I take back my 'excellent'. We have Herbology with the Slytherins!"

"Let's ask around, maybe it's a misprint." James groaned. "They wouldn't put the Gryffindors with the Slytherins first thing, they just wouldn't...Remus, does yours say Slytherin?"

Remus nodded. Peter nodded too, when Sirius asked him desperately.

"Let's ask the other Gryffindor first years, this just can't be right...ah, Evans!"

Lily glared at James. "What do you want?" she hissed. She would have told him not to call her by her last name, but it was James Potter. He wouldn't listen.

"Help us, please!" Sirius begged dramatically. "But with all seriousness-"

Remus and James snickered. Peter was stuffing his face.

Sirius gave them both a mock glare. "As I was saying, Evans, what does your first lesson for today say on your timetable?"

Lily sighed and checked her timetable. "Ah, Herbology with the Slytherins."

"No!" Sirius groaned, and sighed. The first year Slytherins seemed to have noticed the timetable, too - they were shooting murderous glares at the Gryffindors. Severus Snape especially.

"Oh no, Sev's in Slytherin!" Lily said dismally. "I wish he was with me in Gryffindor!"

James and Sirius rolled their eyes.

They continued checking their timetables for that day, Thursday.

Thursday
Herbology with Slytherins
Defense Against The Dark Arts with Hufflepuffs
Potions with Ravenclaws
Care of Magical Creatures with Hufflepuffs
Transfiguration with Ravenclaws
Charms with Hufflepuffs
History of Magic with Hufflepuffs
"It's a good thing we don't study with Slytherin for the rest of the day." Sirius sighed.

"Whee! Wee ickle firsties!" a voice bellowed.

Another ghost flew over the table. "Peeves, ickle firsties!" the ghost beamed. The children looked up at him warily, all except Sirius, who said boldly, "Hi Peeves! I'm Sirius!"

"Ickle Siri!" Peeves said, pleased that someone had acknowledged him. "I knew your mummy, Siri!" Peeves cackled. "Noisy little girl, Walburgie was."

Sirius found himself hesitating to defend Walburga Black.

Peeves grinned. "Bye bye, ickle firsties!" he shouted, and flew out of the Great Hall.

After blowing a raspberry in James's face. Ghost saliva wafted through James like an ice cold shower.

Sirius cackled with laughter.

"Oh shut up Siri." James said grumpily.

They trooped off to their first class.

***

"Good afternoon, first years."

The first years all looked up. Snape stopped glaring at James Potter. James and Sirius stopped sending sparks at each other. Remus stopped trying to get them to stop and Peter...was still stuffing his face.

"I'm Professor Sprout." she introduced. "Your Herbology teacher. Today we'll be learning about a certain plant - take out your books, go on!"

They pulled out their books and stared at the page.

"The syllabus has been - er - slightly changed due to some current happenings." Professor Sprout explained. "The standards for first-year teachings have also been raised by a considerable amount."

The first years looked uneasy.

"Nothing to worry too much about." Professor Sprout said airily. "You, what's your name?"

She pointed at Sirius.

"Sirius." he replied.

"Yes, I am, but what's your name, young man?" Professor Sprout repeated.

"Sirius!" Sirius said. "S,I,R,I,U,S. Sirius Black."

"Oh." Professor Sprout flushed. "Well, Sirius Black, please stop playing with Mr James Potter. I-"

"How'd you know my name, Professor?" James said, amazed.

"I taught Charlus." she replied briskly. "Now, five minutes to read page 2 and then we'll go through it and clear any misconceptions. Your time starts now."

The Snapping Trapper

More commonly known to Muggles as the Venus Flytrap, this plant caused a lot of trouble for the Ministry when it trapped the pet Billywig of Urwin the Ugly in its 'jaws'. Infuriated, Urwin ripped the plant out and used magic to obliviate it.

He had unsuccessfully destroyed the plant, but successfully tossed it into the Muggle world. Five Ministry wizards immediately went over to the Muggle world, and used magic to tame the ferocious plant. The 'Venus Flytrap' in the Muggle world is a tamer plant than it is for us wizards and witches.

For us, the Snapping Trapper is still like the ferocious being that Urwin the Ugly ripped out of the soil. Its middle is originally red and not pink like the Ministry wizards transformed the Muggle version into. The red middle is blood, to attract certain magical beings. The green parts are used for attracting Billywigs, which seem to like green.

"Time's up." Professor Sprout announced. "Now, let's see - HOLD ON, STOP RIGHT THERE, DOLOHOV!"

Antonin Dolohov held his wand aloft, about to hex one of the Gryffindor boys.

"Hexing a Gryffindor boy! Do you have no shame for the name of your Slytherin house, boy? If you had hexed Lily Evans by accident! She's the only Gryffindor first year girl!"

Lily cringed when she looked around and realised that she was the only Gryffindor first year girl.

Professor Sprout glared at Antonin. "Twenty points from Slytherin!" she snapped. "You've just lost Slytherin the chance of House Cup."

Everyone in Slytherin glared at Antonin. "Why'd you do that, Dolohov?" Evan Rosier, a boy who was sitting near him, snapped. "In Sprout's clear sight, too - you bloody mental?"

Dolohov flushed and shoved his wand back into his robes.

"What we're going to do today is study the Snapping Trapper." Sprout replied. "I have samples of them - just baby ones though. But they still have a quick defense and attack so be careful, won't you?" she cautioned.

"Into groups of four please." she added.

"James! Let's group together!" Sirius suggested.

"Alright!" James agreed. He waved Remus and Peter over. The two boys hurried over and Sprout gave them a sample of the baby plant.

"Snape. Let's group together." Evan Rosier called out. Snape quickly ran over. His group comprised of Evan Rosier, him, Antonin Dolohov and Abenezer McKelly.

Within seconds, due to Evan Rosier repeatedly insulting the appearance of the Snapping Trapper, all four Slytherins got attacked by the plant.

"I think I rather like Herbology after all." Sirius sniggered to James.

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

104K 2.4K 26
*If you care about spelling, grammar, continuation and plot, read the re-edit on my profile, rather than this version* Sirius, James, Remus and Peter...
5.5K 269 32
New description! Sirius Black and Remus Lupin. Best friends. Until they each realised that they were in love. With each other. A/N I don't own any of...
5.9K 74 13
The marauders are starting their last year at Hogwarts. Unfortunately, there are being confronted to a brand new situation. This is a little tribute...
2.5K 43 9
Just some fanfic and oneshots of the Marauders! Hope you enjoy, and please leave comments and constructive feedback! [All characters belong to JK Row...