Surprise Quizzes and Other Surprises

That day at lunch, Dumbledore suddenly marched onto the platform and cast the Sonorus charm, clearing his throat so that everyone would pay attention.

"Students, I have an announcement to make." Dumbledore said. "Due to some recent happenings in the wizarding world, the teachers would like you all to be prepared for any situation, regardless of the fact that it may or may not occur. Thus, all students, first years and above, will be having surprise tests this week. These tests will occur at any time. Thank you."

The school groaned. "No!" Sirius shouted, loudest of all, but Dumbledore simply smiled amiably at the students and went back to the staff table to continue eating lunch.

"Why?" James sighed. "I'm not ready for these kinds of things!"

Remus shrugged. "It's kind of neat that we're getting prepared and everything. Hogwarts may be safe right now but it won't be safe forever."

Peter trembled in fear, but no one was sure whether it was from what Remus had just said or from the fact that they would be having pop quizzes for the entire week.

"I agree with Remus!" Lily exclaimed. She shot Remus a smile, but Remus totally ignored her, due to her behaviour towards their prank the other day.

Lily didn't know why, but she felt a jolt of frustration go through her when Remus refused to even make eye contact with her. She wasn't very bothered about the other Maurauders, she was only focused on Remus Lupin.

And she wasn't sure why.

"You know what, guys, suddenly I'm not that hungry." Remus said. "Let's just hurry on to class straight away. We don't need to wait for dismissal, do we?"

"We do," Peter said timidly. "It's in the school rules."

Remus, Sirius and James sighed at the thought of having to stay at a table with stupid, rude, know it all Lily Evans for the entire lunch time.

Sirius roughly stabbed his chicken with his fork, causing the metal to bend. James laughed and took the fork from Sirius, forcing it straight again.

"So strong!" one of Marlene McKinnon's friends, Lucy Albert, gushed when James managed to bend the fork back into shape.

"Luce, you're in second year and he's a first year." Marlene laughed. "Don't even bet on it, Luce."

"You never know!" Lucy said defensively.

Lily nearly gagged. Really? Whoever would fall for someone like that toerag James Potter was a complete idiot.

Then she remembered how she had treated them the previous day, and then she shut up, instantly feeling horrible about herself.

"...Lily? Lily?" Marlene gently shook Lily's elbow.

Lily looked up. "Huh?"

Marlene laughed. "I was just saying, do you think Lucy and James would make a good couple?"

"James? James who?" Lily faked.

Marlene nearly choked with laughing. "Lily, you kidder! James Potter!"

Lily gave a nervous laugh and shrugged. "I dunno, maybe?"

"Awesome!" Lucy squealed. "Hey, maybe once I'm in fourth year, I'll ask James to the Yule Ball!"
"Yule Ball?" Lily said, confused. "What's that?"

"The Yule Ball is a annual dance that's held every year. Last year, the Defence teacher made it a Sadie Hawkins dance."

"Sadie Hawkins...isn't that girls ask guys?" Lily asked.