This Isn't Magic

By ArcanaLove

An outcast boy who has no belief in magic, is tossed into a magic academy. He must learn to discover his magi... More

Episode 1: Terrible Start To A Terrible Day
Episode 2: And So It Begins
Episode 3: Should Have Listened to Nan
Episode 4: A Change
Episode 5: Bats Are Lazy
Episode 6: Midnight Hour
Episode 7: Catching Sparks
Episode 9: Could Have Been Nicer
Episode 10: Pardon My F-Bombs
Episode 11: A Switch
Dear Readers

Episode 8: Learning Isn't Always What You Think

30 8 122
By ArcanaLove

   This was supposed to be the relaxing part, you know where everyone sits in a circle drinking tea and singing "kumbaya". Don't mean to disappoint but shit hit the fan so fast I don't think anyone could relax. Especially since we're all in the holding cell purposely not talking to each other. On a side note, I'm not purple anymore, yay.

   "I can't believe this. Are all of you insane? Or just the people related to Jupiter?" Oz finally broke the crippling silence, while glaring at Strange and I. Though now I wish he'd have just stayed quiet.

   Benji stood up sighing to place himself infront of me and Strange, always a sweetheart Benji. "Easy Oz. That's not very fair. This could've happened to anyone. Even you." He said in a calming voice fixing his glasses and scratching his head making his hair messier.

   Oz scoffed at that. "Oh please. Those two are trouble. Should've known. I mean come on a none believer at Doure are you kidding me? And then of course the crazy, I-have-all-the-answers, wacho." He laughed to himself while I ignored him examining my fingers cause I think I got a blister.

   You're probably very confused by now. I totally understand. So let me take you to the beginning of today.

   So it started at Black Cat. A cat cafe where the workers dress as cats and actual cats roam around. Oz and Benji were already there so Strange was going to get me from my dorm room. B-T-Dubs, its not fun to be woken up by having a person pounce on you. Even if they're as tiny as Strange. Off topic, sorry.

   So after Strange broke my back and bibbidi bobbidi boos me out of my purple skin, I think she just threw dust at me and it had like some chemical reaction that caused the purple to fade off when I got out of the shower, but I digress, we arived at Black Cat. Benji and cats are the cutest thing! They just all want to be held by him. When we walked through the door my eyes instantly found Benji. He was laughing so hard it looked like tears were falling. He was sitting on a bean bag covered with cats climbing all over him. One was on his sholder knocking his blue and grey striped beanie off his head to reveal a mess of red curls. The sight made my heart thud a little harder.

   Of course that's when Strange wrapped her arm around my shoulders. "Cute huh?" She whispered smirking at me. Again with the cat ate the canary look.

   "I don't know what your talking about, Strange." I said walking a head pretending to try and find Oz. I can still hear Strange laughing at me, such a brat. I actually ended up finding him. In the back looking uncomfortable anytime a cat came near him. Which I found just so funny. Walking over to him I leaned on the wall. "You know, cats can feel when your uncomfortable. And they're bastards about it too cause they like pushing buttons."

   Oz laughed awkwardly, "Yeah, I don't like cats. One I'm allergic, they make me sneeze and puffy. And two, I'm more of a dog person. We came here cause Creep works here on weekends volunteering and he left his notebook for Ms Lightmens class."

   Aaaand insert Strange. "Which is funny because You have that class too, huh Jupiter." What is this Strange? Matchmaker day, jeez.

   I had to think about that cause I actually don't know. "If I said I don't know is that a bad thing? Cause like I don't know if you noticed guys, but, this whole time I've been trying to get kicked out."

   "What?" A very soft voice spoke up behind Strange. The minute I saw those baby blues, regret sucker punched me in the stomach. Benji never knew.

   "Benji-" Before I could finish he was turning and walking out the door. Damnit, way to go Jupiter. Wait why is this even this big of a deal. I mean... Besides the fact that I'm not gonna see these guys anymore when I leave. Ow, chest pain. Shut up, I'm a strong boy. I'm just, you know, running too hard or something. It has nothing what so ever to do with feelings. I don't have those.

   When we caught up to him he was standing in front of a door with gold lettering 'Pully Levirs'. Oh. When he turned around he wouldn't look at me. Which bothered me in ways I can't explain. "E-even if you wa-want to get kicked out. Your still h-here so you should s-still make an effort. You know?" The studdering was like a knife to my heart. Somehow I did that.

   "Benji I'm sorry I didn't tell you." He just shook his head and walked inside.

   "Aww, the book worm liked you. Too bad huh?" I snapped my head at Oz.

   Glaring at him, "What's that supposed to mean?" How dare he. Benji is... Is... My friend. I hope anyway. Even if he's upset with me I still think of him as such.

   Oz held his hands up like he was surrendering but he was smirking. I don't like that Gaston smirk of his. "What? He knows I call him that. Its not anything new. Besides the alternative is Creep. You like that better?" Is he trying to piss me off? Cause if so its working.

   "Did he ask for any of those names? Like honestly? Or did him spending time in a library a lone deem him a creep? Cause spending time getting to know him he's better than that. He deserves better than that." The more I spoke the more angry I was getting. What is it with people and only looking with their eyes? This whole conversation was giving me flash backs of before. I know I say my life was perfect before Doure but that's not completely true. Do I miss my home? yes. Do I miss Nan? always. School? No, I was a lone, and not 100% by choice that's only half of it.

   I felt my fingers tingle and the sensation traveled up my arms spreading. I felt that explosion coming on but I can't see anything except white. I can't feel anything except rage and the tingling. It kind of freaks me out because I don't know what I'm doing and I don't know what's going on. Before I explode I feel arms wrap around me, they're trembling a bit. "Hey," The voice was soothing, and even though they were shaking their voice was strong. "Its okay. I don't mind being Creep, I don't mind being book worm. I'm still gonna be me. Okay? So you gotta calm down."

   You know, in all the times I been picked on, pushed around and everything else under the sun, I never thought that at the end of the day I'm still gonna be me. I thought you had to change yourself to make people happy. So I dyed my blonde hair black, changed my wardrobe to baggy and black, got piercings. Spider bites, the bridge of my nose and my left brow, plus all the ones in my ears, mom was so pissed, I was grounded for five months, not fun. I stayed quite. In the background. But I still felt the same, still thought everything the same way I do now.

   As my vision came back I became so weak I collapsed into Benji. He let me stay on the ground with him. Even when he's upset at me he's still here. "Thanks."

   Benji laughed, it was the same one I heard when he was with the cats, nasally and he snorts at the end. Cute. "No problem. As a friend its my job to be there for you. Whether I feel a certain way about something or not."

   Looking at his arms still wrapped around me I barely spoke. "How do you feel about something?"

   All he was able to get out was, "I." Before the police showed up because people saw me magically losing my lucky charms in public. Which I didn't know was against the law since everyone knows about magic. Though thinking about it now, I should have, I mean there's a specific school for magic users. Plus Prof Suspicious was telling me I can't leave cause magic can get out of hand.

   So now we're all in a holding cell, basically jail, waiting for bail, not talking to each other, with an extra person wearing a hood, I think he's our age, sorta hard to tell, having a staring competition with Strange. I'd put my money on Strange. Benji and Oz are still arguing. "Look Oz you really need to chill. Its not like Jupiter knew. I mean he should have been told by somebody. He's been here more than two weeks." He turned to me then with a panicked look and red cheeks of embarrassment. "I'm sorry Jupiter, I would have told you but I assumed you already knew." And what do they say about assuming. But he's a adorable anyway.

   I smiled at him patting his head. "What were you saying about calming down? First me, then Oz, now you. It's fine. I probably was told. I just haven't been paying attention really to anything being said to me so I can plan and plot and scheme. I have a whole notebook on it." I said with a triumphant grin.

   Even though Benji was scrunching his face, he laughed shaking his head at me. "Your the only person I know of that would be happy to be expelled."

   Everything went quiet for a second when we all heard a loud bang. It was Oz. He punched a dent in the cement wall where he was standing. Even Strange and the punk stopped their contest to look. "Are none of you grasping the sevarity of this situation? We're in jail. Wether in Doure or not that goes on your record for life. I'm not like you guys. I'm not a rebellion. God I should have listened to Drake." That got my attention.

   "What do you mean you should have listened to Drake? What did he say?" What the hell is he talking about that's a teacher. Do teachers go around talking about their students to other students?

   Oz shrugged, "Just that you would probably be trouble. And clearly he was right. I mean look where we are. Creep can you honestly not see it? They aren't like us. We're good students." He pleaded with Benji. Strange and I shared a look. I'm so lost. "If me and you were to ever get in trouble we just had to call Drake. He can get us out of this and out of their mess. I tried to be a friend but I just can't this is too crazy. You with me?" Parden my sudden use of fowl language but what in the fairy forest?

   "No, no I dont want to do that. I don't quit on my friends for being who they are." He said looking Oz in the eye. Who had the nerve to scoff at him.

   "Oh please, like you had friends before these two freakshows came a long. You know what, whatever, stay here." He walked farther away from us. Wow, I'm actually in shock. I really didn't see this coming. What the hell?

   "I GOT IT!" Everyone had heart attacks, even he who will not be named. "Your Crow Howl! The necromancer from Shu Village. How did you get here?" You know how I thought I was lost before? Well I didn't know what lost was. Cause I'm lost now.

   The Crow guy put his hood down revealing dark blue hair fading to its original black. Kinda like how mine is coming back to blonde probably. Man I really gotta redye it. He has almost black looking eyes but when he turns a certain way the light hits just right so they look like a really dark blue. He has a chain piercing from his nose to his ear. When he licked his lips I saw the tongue piercing. Ow, I couldn't go that far. "Not that it's any of your business, Sweetness. But I'm here cause the fire that burned the church on Troll Hill." He said with a glint of sadness in his eyes. I think he has a tattoo on his neck.

   "You didn't do it." Strange said still looking at him. Her blue eye was swirling a bit. How does she know that? Where even is Troll hill? Shu Village? What kind of name is that for a school?

   "Your that psychic at Doure then? Damn Sweetness, well welcome to Wonderland." Crow said with a playful smirk. What a weirdo. If I'm not mistaken I think Strange actually blushed a little.

   "Thanks Hatter. But if you are from Shu Village, then we're done talking. Shu and Doure don't mix." She said turning to me holding her hands up palms facing me. Like any normal human when faced with this you play patty cake, even if that's not what they wanted. Crow chuckled, which made Strange blush more. This is so funny. "Sorry, Pit, your probably really confused. You see Shu Village is another magic school. They're in competition with us on behavior. So far, Doure is the second from the bottom and Shoe Village is at the bottom. We're winning. Though after today I don't know where that puts us." She said with a nervous sigh. We stopped patty cake so I could process better.

   "Okay, Shoes are the enemy. Got it. Now what's this about a troll church on a hill? Is that like where all the online trolls go to worship the God of extreme sarcasm?" Crow burst out laughing. He was holding his stomach while trying not to fall on the floor.

   "No, but now I wish it was. Man that's great. No, The church is for the protection of people who fear magic. They think its evil and should never be practiced. Unfortunately my school is a block away from the church so it doesn't help our scoring when the odds are ever against our favor. Troll hill is both a town and a road." As Crow explained I noticed he didn't take his eyes off Strange. Aww Strange has an admirer. Cute!

   "Okay so why are you being accused if you didn't do it then?" I asked him cause other than Strange, Benji, Him, and me, Crow is the only other person in here. Enemy or not. Plus he seems awesome and he laughed really hard at my joke.

   Crow sighed, "Because my family goes to that church. I'm the only one in my family with magic. They sent me away, but my mother reach out to me. Before I got there the place was already a flame. By the time I got there nothing was left of the biulding." My stomach churned.

   "W-what about the people?" Benji asked in a quiet voice. Instinctively I grabbed his hand holding it for both his comfort and mine.

   Crow shook his head with a pained expression. "Nothing was left. When my father got there he saw me, saw the ashes and now I'm here." He shrugged like it was nothing but I could tell otherwise. How could a father do such a thing? I would rather my father left me than despise me.

   One of the officers came up. "Ozzy Williams, a Mr Drake is here for your bail. Your going home."

   Oz smugly walked over to the exit. "Have fun ladies." He wiggled his fingers and walked away laughing.

   "Was that guy really your friend?" Crow asked with doubt.

   "I thought so. But I was wrong. Not the first time. Should have known though. He was too straight laced for me. I never do well with them." Crow laughed again at that. I smiled and Strange joined in. Benji was silent.

   "But I'm a straight lace." He said quietly.

   I smirked, "Nope your a creep Benji. Thats far better than a straight lace. Don't worry enough time around me and you'll live up to the name in no time. Just know you'll always be Benji to me." I smiled and he smiled back, blushed, fixed his glasses and turned away. Aww his ears are red. That's so cute. I want to dip him in coffee and eat him. Probably would give the police a reason to keep me here though so better not.

   "Not to pull an Oz. But what are we going to do? Does anyone know how to break out of a holding cell?" I asked.

   Crow shook his head. "Nah, I only learned how to prison break." Strange giggled then tried to cover it with a cough and glared at the now smirking Crow. Its too bad he doesn't go to Doure, he would be a great edition to our freak show.

   As I tried to actually think of something, the same officer came back. "Tim Jupiter and Alice Strange, a Mrs Francis is here for your bail." I shot up so fast. How did Nan know! I looked at Strange but she had the same look of surprise I did.

   I looked at Benji taking his hand again. "I'm gonna get you out, just gotta talk to Nan first." I looked over at Crow who was watching Strange as she left. "Stay cool Crow. You know how much bail is for you?"

   Crow returned my bro fist, "50,000, don't worry kid. Its not your problem. Your a Door I'm a Shoe." He said smiling but it didn't reach his eyes.

   I shrugged, "Yeah well, your talking to the wizard of non believing. So if I don't believe in magic then your just a person in a bind and I'm just a person who might be able to help. So suck it up buttercup." I said and turned as I listened to him laugh. 'So weird' was said between laughs. You have no idea.

   When I got to the front desk I saw my Nan. Her silver hair kept in two braids, she had her dirty holey jeans on so I know she was in the garden. Her sweater was closed and has all the patches I remember helping her put on it. Instantly I went to her with Strange and hugged her. "Oh, I missed you youngins somethin fierce. Pit, I see you finally met your sister."

   I stiffened, "Wait, I thought she was my cousin?" I looked over to Strange and she bit her lip shaking her head.

   Nan stilled then sighed, "Dang it, I'm sorry Ali bean. I didn't mean to slip. Come on we'll talk on the way." I nodded and started walking with them.

   "Wait. Two of my friends are in there. Can you help Nan?" I was in such a daze I almost forgot my promise.

   Nan smiled and nodded. "Sure thing pumpkin who are they?"

   Strange spoke up then, "Benji Creep and Crow Howl." No kidding! Creep was his last name? Man that's so funny. If Crow joins our group then I'm deffinitely calling him Howl.

   While Nan went to talk to the police. Strange and I went outside sitting on the curb. "I'm sorry I wasn't totally honest with you. Nan thought it best if you didn't know yet. I thought so too."

   "I don't get it. Why? Why not just tell me? I mean I already don't like my father why keep it from me?" I really wasn't getting it.

   Strange winced, "Because we don't share a father. We share a mother. Daniel Strange is my father and he took me with him. Your father left when mine told him. Haven't you ever wondered why we have the same eyes? You may have contacts to cover it but we're the same. We're twins Pit." She said smiling as my world kinda turned upside down.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.2K 1.6K 15
Their friends have good intentions, they really do but merlin are they annoying. So this lesds Blaise to form a perfect plan to help both him and Har...
146 0 16
An original story about 3 unlikely friends and each of there struggles because despite how hard we try they're always there waiting to show themsel...
25.1K 980 21
Fast paced book. WARNING: contains abuse, self harm, cursing, etc. Also contains a lot of happy, funny, friendship moments. It's worth the read :)
132 3 43
Joseph meets a new friend and is happy for the first time, but when they unravel their life to each other, so as their deep secrets and desire. with...