The Darkest Days

By likeidk

{ Book Cover Credit : @stellardreams- } Loyalty killed me. Passion killed her, literally. They say let your p... More

Characters
1. How It All Starts
2. Privacy
3. Meet The Fam
4. A Day In The Life Of
5. It Broke
6. Nothing Would Ever Be The Same
7. Duty And Love
8. It All Starts With A Coffee
9. Day One
10. Heart On Fire
11. Highs And Lows
12. Leave Everything Behind
13. Work, Work, Work!
14. Birthdays
15. This Was Just A Taste, Darling
16. Bitter Dreams Of Revenge
17. She Deserves Bigger And Better
18. Spread Your Wings, Sister
19. Ready, Set, Fly
21. The Formula Of Success
22. End Days On The Road
23. Blue Hearts
24. Shoots And Calls
25. Seventeen
26. Tour With Emma
27. Sudden Surprises
28. As Seen From A Camera
29. Silence Broken
30. The Rise Of The Son
31. Clever Talks
32. Summer With You
33. The Americana
34. Power
35. Star Friends
36. Beyond The Atlantic
A Letter To My Readers
37. The Dirt
38. Woman In White
39. Changing Times
40. Caleb Knows
41. Do It For The Drama
42. You Fix This
43. When He Came In
44. Blue Eyes
45. First Meets
46. Detours
47. Conflicts
48. Stars On Earth
49. The Morning After
50. Lies And Drunken Truths
51. Relationship #1
52. Our Secret Romance
53. I Am Not His
54. "Hello? Excuse me, are you alright?"
55. XI
56. What We Started As
57. All Comes Down To Him
58. Searching
59. Next News Material In Line
60. When Your Girl Is Another's
61. Journals
62. Right And Wrong
63. Disclose The Depth
64. Illusionary Happiness
65. I Literally Can't Think Of A Chapter Name
66. Out Of Lo(neliness)ve
67. Company
68. My First Friend
69. Stay Close
70. Safety And Danger
71. Out In The Open
72. Repercussions
73. Everyone Has Their Demons
74. The Space Next To Her
75. "I Don't Know"
76. Us Happy Family?
77. A Day
78. Hired
79. Audrey
80. Good Things
81. I Can't Think Of A Title: Part 2
82. Who Gets It Their Way?
83. Love One, With Another
84. Love Can Be Awfully Lonely
85. Begin
86. Coexist
87. Roots Crawl Deep
88. Eccentric
89. Twenty One
90. Work/Home
91. Let's Just Sleep
92. Actions Of A Boy
93. World At Their Feet
94. Intense
95. Weak Hearts
96. Glitter In My Veins
97. Layers
98. Let Me Off
99. Eighteen Already Seems Interesting
100. Milestone
101. Family Vs Family
102. Exhausted And Afraid
103. Strong Girls
104. Little Princess
105. Ends And Starts
106. The Company Doesn't Interfere
107. The Seed
108. Graduation
109. Outbursts Of Sibling Love
110. Start Of A New Dream
111. Year End
112. Twenty Two
113. Revelations
114. Wobble
115. My New Year Was Better Than Yours
116. Lioness Of The Jungle
117. Blood Family
118. What If?
119. Easier To Get
120. Nineteen
121. Building Walls
122. Round Two
123. 23
124. I Just Don't Start
125. The Riots
126. The Player
127. Vanessa's Plan
128. Round Three
129. Twenty
130. Pitch
131. The Red Carpet
132. All That Glitter Is Not Gold
133. Reminder
134. Mayhem
135. On Our Own Now
136. 25
137. Convincing

20. All In Or All Out

50 4 21
By likeidk

Vanessa slowly followed the signs to the stage and found a big blue door that had a white page reading Stage stuck on it.

It had a digital code lock keypad near the handle and she had no clue what the password was. It just made her feel more useless.

She backed up, hugging her arms and looked at the people, giving her stares.

"Who are you?" A huge, black man demanded with a loud voice.

"My sister is in there-" she pointed towards the door.

"Did I ask that, barbie?"

"If you don't know me, what's the point of telling you." She averted her wet eyes away.

"If I don't know you, it's for a reason; which being that you aren't allowed to in here. Get out before I drag you myself."

"I'm supposed to be here. I was called by Monica Heart, Aiden Forrester and Willia-"

"Backstage pass." He held his hand out.

Vanessa felt like crying out loud. Why didn't I think of that before? She wasn't used to being here so she didn't know what she could do to avoid such situations.

She held up the card Audrey had given her earlier. The guy examined it and left without a word.

She closed her eyes and leaned her head against the wall behind. Her muscles still felt shaky. All for nothing.

She opened her eyes so she could process real visual images and not save one of the senses to give the saved energy to her thoughts. Then a short female redhead with a clipboard passed her and proceeded to enter a long code at the stage door at an extremely fast pace.

"Um, excuse me!" Vanessa sprang up. "Can you please call my sister, Audrey Pierce? She's one of the dancers. Please?"

The girl wearily eyed her. "Okay."

"Thank you very much." She smiled. All she needed right now was her sister but this stupid wall stood in between. Every second around these strangers made her uneasy. She wanted to leave.

"Vanessa?" Audrey walked out with a concerned expression. "She said you're cryi-"

She never got to complete her sentence as she was gripped tightly by her sister. "I-I couldn't do it! I d-didn't get it, Audrey.."

"Hey, so what?" Audrey gently caressed her hair. "It's not the end of the world, V. I know it's very intimidating, I've given an audition too-"

"But you got in first time!" Vanessa pulled apart. "You can't possibly know how rejection feels! My schoolmates rejected me, my boyfriend rejected me, my siblings, my future- every-"

"Vanessa!" Audrey hugged her again. "Calm down, it's alright! You're just overwhelmed, that's all. Trust me, nothing's as bad as you're thinking right now."

"Um.."

The sisters looked to the side to see Natasha Rivers looking uncomfortable while standing still. "I.. was asked to call you both in?" She said with confusion written all over her face.

"Both?" Audrey raised her eyebrow.

"I'm not going back in there." Vanessa shook her head and hid it in her sister's shoulder.

Audrey wrapped her arms around her as she spoke to Natasha, "what happened? Why are they calling her back?"

"Not just her, Miss Pierce, you as well."

"Me? I'm in the middle of a rehears-"

"Please, Audrey." Natasha said. "You don't wanna keep any of them waiting."

After a moment of silence, Audrey nudged at Vanessa. "Let's just go and see what they have to say, hm? Maybe they changed their minds. Wouldn't you like that?"

Vanessa took a deep breath and stood on her own feet. "Even if they did, no. I wouldn't like to work with them, they're not my type, Audrey. Let's just leave.."

"We can't just leave." Audrey whispered so that only she could hear. "Don't be so scared, V. You're stronger than this."

"Not here, no. Please, I can't stay here longer."

"If you will?" Natasha asked again.

Audrey smiled. "Uh, yes. We're on our way. We'll join you."

Natasha reluctantly nodded her head and walked away.

Audrey turned to Vanessa. "Let's go talk to them. It'll be rude-"

"They're rude too."

"They're professionals, it's their job to be picky. Besides, I demand to know on what grounds they found you lacking in anything?"

"My warmer tones."

"You mean like the deeper and.. throatier voice?"

She nodded. "My higher pitches were adequate but lower frequencies weren't."

"Maybe they can provide assistance? Think about it. Trained by professionals? You'll be amazing! Don't give up like this, fight! I'm with you, right beside you."

Every fiber in Vanessa's being wanted to curl up in a corner and cry, but for her sister's sake, she knew she shouldn't disobey them. Audrey works under them after all.

She nodded and Audrey grinned. "That's my baby sister."

....

The sisters sat under the observant stares of the moguls of music industry in silence. This time, even Kit Gessler was present in the back. Then Audrey cleared her throat.

"Vanessa is really-"

"Good." William interrupted. "She is, we get that. But maybe she isn't the best, or what we're looking for."

"We understand. Everyone has tastes and-"

Monica interrupted Audrey this time. "We're not dismissing her, Audrey. Why are you giving the last speech?" She chuckled at the end.

Vanessa frowned. "Sorry?"

"She said," Aiden spoke up, "we're not letting you go just because you lack certain abilities. They can be worked on."

But you said earlier that why would you waste time on amateurs when you have trained ones.. Vanessa thought but didn't speak aloud.

"You'll provide her training?" Audrey's eyes sparkled as she eagerly asked. It touched Vanessa.

"Yes but not just her." William said with a small smirk and pointed a finger at Audrey. "You as well."

"What?" Audrey's happy voice suddenly crashed down to a scared one.

"As well?" Vanessa's eyes snapped up to them as she held her breath and tried to make sense of his words.

"I've heard you sing, Audrey." Monica said. "The karaoke yesterday wasn't the first time. In the green room these past several months, you've sung a lot absentmindedly. I knew you could that's why I asked you to sing yesterday. I wanted to know for sure and you didn't disappoint."

Vanessa turned to look at her sister.

Audrey's jaw was dropped down. "You- Uh, no-o there's some- that isn't-" she mumbled.

"Your strong parts are exactly what your sister's weak parts are." Monica added with a smile. "She sings amazing in higher and light pitches, which as we saw yesterday, you couldn't. Your voice cracked at the chorus."

"Exactly!" Audrey exasperated. "I can't hit any notes! I crack my voice! Vanessa is an amazing singer and she practices every single day. I assure you, a little professional work on her and she'll-"

"We've come to a conclusion." William held his hand up. "I offer you both a record deal. As a duo. Either both, or none."

"Why on Earth would you offer me?" Audrey emphasised. "You've not even heard me sing!"

"I have." Monica said.

"And as I've hinted before Audrey," Aiden said, "you have a certain charisma. Even Kit agrees." He looked back at his assistant.

Vanessa looked at Kit who nodded at Audrey. Her brain was now blank.

Both or none..

"But I can't compare to Vanessa." Audrey said.

"She needs practice. You need a bit more. Two sisters who contrast each other and work as a team to bring their parts of the song to life. As a whole, it'll work pretty well." William assured. "Believe me, I don't invest in things I'm even a slight unsure about."

"How can you be sure it'll work?" Audrey asked, now agitated. "Dancing has always been my business, not singing. Whatever you heard me sing, that was me playing around, it didn't mean anything!" Audrey raised her voice at Monica.

"Easy there, lady. We're offering you a lifetime of fortune." Aiden said. "Remember where you are. I like your spark but I don't love it just yet."

Audrey seemed to realise her behavior and sank down in her chair. Her eyes finally and for the first time moved at Vanessa.

Her sister gave nothing away. She just stared at her like she did when they were little and they'd get lost on their way home so Audrey would guide them back.

She looked at her for guidance.

"I'm.. sorry." Audrey whispered to Monica.

"It's alright." She replied. "And I think you miss my point. I've heard your voice. It's meant for warm and slow tones. Don't underestimate my ability to judge someone's voice potential. I've been in the business for a long time."

"I trust her." William said. "This is my offer. Of course, there'll be more to it, much more. But first, we need a yes from you both. Then I'll keep the terms of the contract and everything else forward. Agree to them, you have the life of your dreams in your hands."

Vanessa gulped.

He got up and walked towards the door. "Choose wisely. You have twenty four hours to decide."

With that, he closed the door behind him. Monica sighed and got up. "I have a show to deliver. So I'll be off too."

Audrey kept her gaze at Vanessa with a slight hint of regret, which was returned with a stoic expression.

"Don't disappoint me, ladies. I see big future in you two. I'd like to be a stepping stone in it." Aiden spoke and walked out as well. Kit followed him right out.

Audrey breathed. "Vanessa?"

"No." Vanessa shook her head. "I can't think here." She sprang up and reached towards the door.

"Listen to me, I'm sorry! I didn't-"

Vanessa turned around. "Are you kidding me? What are you sorry for? You've done nothing wrong, Dreya.."

Audrey bit her lip. "This was supposed to be your moment and I got dragged in the middle."

"No, no, don't. Just.. give me a second, alright? I- I just need to breathe."

"You can rest in the green room for a while. I'm sure you're tired from the journey."

"Journey. Right. I'll.. be there, in the room.." Vanessa said quickly, turned away and rushed out, leaving Audrey alone in the room to contemplate what had just happened.

******************************

Oh ho ho, what do you think the girls will do? Had you caught the previous hints about even Audrey getting the offer?

Please tell me what you think and don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT!

TEASER FOR THE NEXT CHAPTER : It's decision time. And the "dark horse" is introduced; well, not really.. you'll see :p

Have a nice day! ❤

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.3M 370K 38
__❤︎ The Maid and the Mafia King ❤︎__ Losing her father at the age of 20, Bella started to search for jobs. Not to mention, she already was doing 2 j...
432 80 21
The cliched plot of a celebrity, "bad boy" meeting a commoner, "good girl" and falling in love, eventually? Not exactly! Celebrities aren't always...
8.2K 2.1K 67
|Featured in @mystery, @generalfiction, @SpeculativeFiction and @Fantasy| Dreams are something everyone sees but can these dreams turn into real life...
263K 15.2K 64
This story was previously known as "The Awakening". ~*~ "One... two... three... one... two... three... a million... is that number right?" A figure l...