EVERYTHING WRONG, writing tips

By nikolaislantsovs

everything wrong with fanfictions [brutally honest rants & writing tips] Β©nikolaislantsovs More

EVERYTHING WRONG.
↳generic rants.
grammar.
punctuation.
changing sexualities.
clickbait fanfics.
mary sues.

idiotic crossovers.

1.9K 97 93
By nikolaislantsovs

GENERIC RANTS.
( idiotic crossovers )

SECTION: GENERIC RANTS
RANT TOPIC: IDIOTIC CROSSOVERS
WORD COUNT: 1664 WORDS

𖤐 ˚ .𖤐

    HAVE YOU EVER just read a book with so many crossovers? For example, one minute you're reading a story that takes place in the MCU, in the streets of Queens with Spider-Man and the next minute Peter Parker finds himself in an alternate dimension where he finds out that he's the son of Hermes and teams up with Camp Half-Blood, becomes best friends with Percy Jackson while he also has his spider superpowers? The next thing you know the author decides to add Aang and his buddies to the picture where Percy finds out that he's secretly a waterbender.

Wow, I don't know about you, but that screams to me idiotic crossover.

For starters, let's get something straight. I'm all for a good crossover, damn, I've read so many fics out there where people know how to combine two of my favourite superhero universes (DC & MCU) and make a killer fanfic. But I'm here to discuss the opposite of those wonderful crossover fics that make your heart leap when you start the next chapter. Today's rant will focus on the other crossovers. The ones that make no sense when you read them because some fandoms shouldn't mix.

I've seen some crossover fics that make me want to scream. Half of the time it involves this OC whose a total Mary Sue (that's a topic for another rant) who gets involved with so many characters from different fandoms which makes it confusing to understand their backstory half of the time. I don't understand what makes some writers think they're going to get positive feedback from fanfic where they make their character revolve around the whole universe while they're part witch, part demigod and let's not forget they have superpowers and are trying to become a part of the avengers.

Here are some of the crossovers that I have seen on this app and they have honestly put fanfics to shame. Like I don't know why they would even come up with these CERTAIN crossovers because they don't work out whatsoever. Anyways, let's get started with the wonderful list of crossovers that make me want to scratch my head half of the time of why people came up with them in the first place:

1) HARRY POTTER, MCU & PERCY JACKSON

I cannot stress how confusing this crossover is. The fact that there's a whole series about Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard where they specifically state that what happens in the MCU is incorrect to actual mythology. I don't understand how you want to make those crossover especially when those two are clearly stated to be different from one another. Besides, I'm pretty sure that Tony Stark wouldn't be too thrilled about meeting a character who can wield a magic wand and kill off every one of their enemies with the words avada kedavra. Thanos would have been dead a LONG time ago.

2) HARRY POTTER, DC COMICS & PERCY JACKSON

What is it with combining Harry Potter, Percy Jackson and a superhero world? Was the Marvel universe not enough for you? Think about this for one moment. Combining magic wands, speedsters, demigods and other superheroes in the same space? Besides, the amount of times I've seen these fics on Wattpad are also focused on a female Mary Sue whose mom is probably Aphrodite, James Potter is their dad and they got affected by the particle accelerator or some shit. How overpowered does your character have to be and why do you have to make them half demigod, half-witch? I don't understand.

I could add on to the rest of the crazy crossovers I've seen on this app but to sum it up, I might as well add some of the few that I've seen and some suggestions of what other idiotic crossovers look like. In case some of you still haven't gotten the picture yet.

3) DC COMICS, PERCY JACKSON, DR. WHO, LAB RATS
4) MARVEL, HARRY POTTER & STAR WARS
5) STRANGER THINGS, HARRY POTTER & DC COMICS

Ugh, just listing these many IDIOTIC crossovers is making me choke. Please PLEASE, do not write fanfictions with so many crossovers. Not only is it quite odd to read a book with so many characters from different fandoms occupying the same space in time but it's kinda stupid to see one character (usually the OC) being so overpowered and the central love interest to the damn story.

Don't mix science with magic. A Harry Potter and DC Comics crossover will do you no good because the number of times characters make jokes about Harry Potter in DC-based tv shows is quite frequent. Imagine what would happen if the two worlds collided. For one thing, it wouldn't make sense especially because magic from Harry Potter is EXTREMELY different from the magic in DC. You honestly don't think Zatanna and Hermione Granger would be friends? Do you?

Don't even get me started about making your OC a multi-fandom god/goddess of the crossover world you created. You have no idea how much this pisses me off that writers create this character for the sake of making them this love interest for multiple characters and the one who saves the day for everyone. It's just annoying on a whole other level! Not to mention, ugh, they fall in love with so many people, find out that they're not who they say they are. To be honest, I could go on, but this example below should speak for itself.

Hi my name is Clora Elois Fairy Sparkles Jordan . I work with the Avengurs bc i hve the super[powers of the wind and aior. One day i ment the Justice LEague and fell in love with Barry allen. He told me tht i have more powers that i know, i found out that I was a SPEEDSTER! all of a sudden i saw some guy with a horses body. It was chiron, he told me my dad was a grek god and that i shuld go to Camp Halfblood. i found out that i am a daughter of Hermes and I can steal things. all of a suddon i got this letter saying i was accepted to Hogwarts. I went with the Avengurs and all of my friends. i went to go help Harry kill Voldemort. He died. i married barry allen and we had childrren! the end.

EXCUSE ME WHILE I GO AND CHOKE ON MY LUNCH. The crossover was bad. It was IDIOTIC. This just proves to show how Mary Sue your OC would be and how your story would be total cringe. I beg you, don't make a bad fanfiction with so many crossovers. If you think I made this up on the spot, so maybe I did. But this is coming from the actual inspiration of fanfics I HAVE READ where people write stories like this. In some ways, I'm writing a cringe version of fics that are out there for the sake of you to understand what I am trying to convey.

There are ways to make crossovers work. You just have to pick the right ones that will complement well with the others. It's like balancing an equation, you have to balance the crossovers just right so you're going to create whatever hellhole it was that I wrote back in my example. As I mentioned before, there are many authors out there that have written wonderful stories with fantastic crossovers! It's all about knowing where to draw the line.

Take for example the DC Comics and MCU example that I mentioned before. It's a typical crossover but if you do it right, the story could get so many views! I used to have a story called Young Volcanoes where it was a crossover between these two universes and people loved it! The same goes with other authors out there too! They know what's too much and find that perfect balance when it comes to making a crossover work.

And now, for some mini tips to help you improve on crossover fics if you ever want to write one:

1) Remember that your character is going to be surrounded by many other people from different universes. Don't make your character the centre of attention all the time, have them stand on the sides as the crossover characters interact with one another. Make there be a bridge for characters to connect or there's no point in creating a crossover if the characters are never going to interact and meet those around them.

2) You don't have to make your OC have powers or any status to connect with the people from the crossovers. Maybe they are just normal people, with a normal life and normality is all that they need to survive without the pressures of being a hero, a witch/wizard or a demigod. Besides, your character is badass without having the ability to possess magic or if their dad is Ares, they can do just fine as they are if you work hard on developing your character.

3) Do not favour one fandom over another. Let the crossovers be, do not show that you prefer one over another because it will only make readers infuriated to see if your OC goes and beats the hell out Hermione Granger because she and Annabeth were having a civil conversation. It's best not to create a crossover between two fandoms if you favour one over the other. 

4) A minimum of two crossovers is plenty. Do not have a maximum of like five crossovers because it will only be frustrating to remember every single character that is in each fandom universe. Not only is it confusing, but it's also the start of what will make your story extremely cringe to read if you think that's a good idea.

𖤐 ˚ .𖤐

TIP #3: DO NO WRITE IDIOTIC CROSSOVERS

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

298K 18.1K 40
You live in a different time zone Think I know what this is It's just the time's wrong
179K 1K 190
Mature content
221K 1.2K 33
This is a mix of different animes that have smut in them
25.9K 921 7
αžŸαžΆαž…αŸ‹αžšαžΏαž„αž˜αž·αž“αžŸαžΆαž€αžŸαž˜αžŸαž˜αŸ’αžšαžΆαž”αŸ‹αž€αŸ’αž˜αŸαž„αž€αŸ’αžšαŸ„αž˜(18+)αž˜αžΆαž“αž–αžΆαž€αŸ’αž™αžšαŸ„αž›αžšαžΆαž›αž’αžΆαžŸαž’αžΆαž—αžΆαžŸπŸ”ž