Afraid To Fall In Love

By halimalili

A muslim love story about a lady called minal who 's world comes crashing as her love life takes a drastic tu... More

Final Year
The Boyfriend
The Bachelor
The Blind Date
Surprise!
Graduation
Home Sweet Home.
Unwanted Guests
Bumped
Eid Mubarak
Rain And Rainbows
Wedding Bells
Next To You
Wishes
The Employee
Signed,Sealed....
Twists and Turns
Pretence
Hurricane
Twinning
New Friends
Mine
Apologies
Something New
...Of The Past
...Of The Past 2
Confessions
Unintended Promises
Living Nightmares
Money For Love
Truth
Court Case
Moving In
Baby Steps.
Under The Stars.
With This Ring
Hearts As One
Feels Like Home
Broken
Untold Stories
About That Night
Love At Last.
Little Secrets
Zara
New Book

The Ultimatum

5.4K 466 6
By halimalili

Mahmud

We were back in Kaduna at last. I haven't gotten any good sleep since the wedding started although I had a good time.

I was too scared to open my emails. I had over fifty mails. I had a quick shower,got dressed for work and picked the keys to my car and rushed out.

"Mahmud where to?" Mamie's voice came through. I moved closer scratching the back of my neck.

"Errr I wanted to errmm...check something in the office." I stammered knowing very well Mamie won't approve of it.

Her bright smile wavered. "We just got back. Aren't you tired?" She asked without waiting for an answer to the question. "Rest for today. Work can always wait until tomorrow." She continued.

I was honestly stressed from the wedding and the sleepless nights. I couldn't argue. Mamie's voice stopped me as I turned back to the room.

"Do you have a minute?" She asked grabbing me by the arm."I was hoping we could talk." She spoke with so much enthusiasm.

"Anything for my darling Mamie." I smiled even though my heart fluttered for a moment as I wondered what it was she wanted to talk about.

I followed behind her to her room. The smell of her bakhoor was amazing it could relieve stress. I sat down on the chair opposite her's on the coffee table focusing my attention to Mamie.

"Well son, it's about your proposal." I heard her mutter as a volt of electric shock ran down my spine.

"What proposal?" I asked sounding serious.

"Don't act dumb with me. Well I just wanted to inform you that the formalities will take place two weeks from now." I heard her voice from afar yet I was so close to her.

I couldn't manage a single word. How could I explain to Mamie that I don't want to get married to this girl? How do I explain to her how cunning Hannan and her mother can be? It's not like she would believe me. But I have managed to wiggle my way out of her previous match makings. I don't think this would be any different. I just had to come up with something concrete.

"Mahmud..." Mamie brought me back from my thoughts. I had drifted so far in thought I had no idea what she had been babbling.

"When last did you go to visit my soon to be daughter in law?" She winked.

I began to stammer thinking of what excuse to give her. She ignored my efforts and continued to talk.

"Well I told Hajiya Maryam you will be visiting this evening. In fact I have something for Hannan." As she pointed to the gift bag next to her.

"Mamie can we not do this please.." I groaned and pleaded but to no avail.

I went back to my chamber after a brief chitchat with Mamie. "What are these women up to?" I murmured to myself feeling disgusted.

Minal

My posting letter had just arrived. I was quite anxious. I went straight to Papi's living room where Umma and Ammi sat discussing. This is Umma's second week,she came down with arthritis two days after the wedding so she wasn't allowed to travel back to Gombe in her condition.

"Salam." I mummured as I made my way to where they were all seated holding my tablet.

"The letter just came through." I said sounding all nervous.

"Well..." Papi said as they turned their attention towards me waiting for the news.

"I wanted us to check it together." I grinned passing the tablet to Papi.

He brought out his glasses and then collected the tablet to check. I clutched my hands waiting for the result.

"Drama Queen" I heard Ammi mutter under her breath.

"Wow." Papi said sounding surprised.

"Benin." He muttered again turning his attention on me. I smiled nodding my head while trying to act like I got the joke.

"No really, It's Benin." As he passed the tablet over to me.

My heart skipped a beat. My eyes filled with tears. It was among none of the options I had picked. I whined like a child until Papi agreed to do something about it.

"You are not helping matters. She needs to learn. You can't baby her forever you know." Ammi spoke definitely enraged.

"My dear, she doesn't want to go, besides I want her close by." he smiled, stroking my hair.

It took less than a week for Papi to work his magic. He had to break the news to us through the phone as he had gone to Lagos for a seminar.

Mahmud

I have been trying to force myself to sleep for over 30 minutes now. But all my efforts proved pointless. My mind would not let me rest. It had been four days since the incident but I couldn't get it out of my head.

"I don't wish to call off anything. I love you Mahmud and I will wait for as long as it takes to have your love. My goal has been to be beside you,your queen for as long as I can remember. You can scream and shout all you want but you are mine and it will happen. Just relax and enjoy the ride." Her words kept playing in my head. I couldn't be angrier than I already am. She had no shame or whatsoever. Hannan isn't really my kind of girl. Dumb, narrow minded, pompous and ill mannered brat. I just couldn't stand this girl.

Just as I thought of the devil, a beeping sound came from my phone giving the room a dim light. I tried to ignore as I toss and turned trying to get rid of my thoughts.

"What's the point?" I groaned reaching for my phone.

"Ya Allah." It was a message from Hannan. It was now a habit. She was becoming a pest. I needed to handle this issue really fast I thought to myself.

I sat up on my king sized bed but then I realised it was to late. Abbah would have been fast asleep by now so I lay in bed waiting for morning to arrive.

Abbah is a morning person. He barely goes back to sleep after Subhi. So it was a good opportunity to talk to him before I leave for work. Abbah is a very predictable person. He always plans his day and repeats the routine every single day. So you could tell what time he sleeps, eat, reads the news you name it. I wonder how he copes. Anyway its almost 9am now and he would be having his black coffee with no sugar before breakfast. It was the perfect time to talk.

"Salamu Alaikum." I opened the door to the dinning area. He answered and smiled as I approached him.

"Ina kwana Babana." he answered placing his cup by the side.

"Come sit next to me." he continued pointing to a chair.

Just as I sat down the door opened and Mamie came in.

"Ahh my two favourite people" She teased as the maids followed behind her with a few warmers and trays.

"What is the matter?" Abbah turned to me as Mamie served his breakfast.

"Abbah I heard about the introduction two weeks from now." I spoke with very little confidence as I tried not to look at Mamie's direction.

"What about it?" Abbah smiled spreading more jam on his French toast.

"There has been some kind of misunderstanding." I looked briefly at Mamie who was shooting daggers with her eyes.

"What kind of misunderstanding?" Abbah asked but I kept quite searching for words to explain.

"Is it a lovers quarrel?" He asked as he giggled.

"No nothing like that." I stated trying to defend myself.

"Well what is it then?" He asked sounding impatient.

"I never gave my consent to the proposal in the first place. I don't know where Mamie and her friend got the idea from secondly the girl is really not suitable for me besides..." Mamie cut me off before I ended the statement.

"Mahmud." She shouted

"Are you denying everything now? This is no child's play. Who is ever suitable for you? Don't spoil my relationship with Hajiya Maryam over a childish game you are playing."

"Aisha calm down." Abbah spoke reaching for her hand.

"Let me speak to him and find out the problem." She faked a smile and stormed out of the room.

Abbah turned his attention on me.

"Babana you say you don't love this girl. Do you have a reason?" He asked sounding very calm and attentive.

"Abbah I just don't love her. She is not my choice and I don't think we are comparable." I spoke not knowing that i tied myself with my own hands, forgetting Abbah is also a lawyer.

"She is not your choice you say?" Abbah smiled. My heart skipped,I knew where he was heading to as he continued to speak.

"Do you have someone you like?" he asked focusing his gaze on me.

"Yes." I said without a blink. I lied but it was the only way out.

"Very good." He said and smiled as he took another sip from his mug.

"Let's do it this way." He continued to speak gaining my full attention.

"I give you four months to figure it out and come up with something tangible on this girl you like else I would have to give in to your mother's wish." Abbah gave his ultimatum although I had no clue on how to get a girl I like in four months but it was the best thing I have heard all week. I bought a little extra time to put things together.

"Inshaa Allah." I muttered as I scratched my neck looking at Abbah.

"What is it now?" He asked knowing me too well.

"Abbah can you please break the news to Mamie." I said grinning to at least charm him.

"Fine but you are running late. We will discuss it more when you get back from work."

"Thank you so much." I said as I grabbed an apple from the table and rushed out of the dining area.

I left for work without saying goodbye to Mamie. I was in no position to talk to her. She needed space to calm down and so my day started on a rose path.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.3K 904 35
Meet Umma Khalthum Mayana, an orphan whom lives with her uncle and his family, a beautiful, intelligent and pious lady. Jovial is what you'd describe...
3.1K 40 13
Nothing just "Our story".
13.2K 745 66
Following the life of a pluzsize nigerian lady after after her life comes crashing down when she finds out that her younger sister is secretly marrie...
655K 16K 65
This story follows two 17 year olds competing for the love of one another despite religious barriers.