Masterful Trickery

Autorstwa greenwriter

THE BANDIT She merely meant to steal and get away with it. She did not mean to find a dying woman and be cha... Więcej

I. Forest Lady
II. A Journey to Meriwether
III. A Bandit, a Footman and a Guard
IV. Hellfire and Damnation
V. A Guard's Promise
VI. 'Bye, Guv!
VII. The Chase
VIII. A Trip to Prison
IX. Lady in Blue
X. Locked Jewels
XI. Rent
XII. A Guard's Welcome
XIII. A Test
XIV. A Call for Change
XV. Double Village Trouble
XVII. Growing Search
XVIII. Beautiful Intrusion
XIX. Cockroach Control
XX. Somewhere Somehow Safe
XXI. Competition
XXII. Family, Friends and Bandits
XXIII. The Caveman
XXIV. Love's a Gamble
XXV. Three Leaguers
XXVI. For Later
XXVII. Above the Below
XXVIII. A Lift Down
XXIX. Thorne of Events
XXX. Homecoming
XXXI. A Shot in the Dark
XXXII. Deliver
XXXIII. Teething Troubles
XXXIV. So Long
XXXV. The Grand Plan
XXXVI. A Carriage Full Of
XXXVII. Runaway
XXXVIII. Snowy Conspiracy
XXXIX. Three Weddings
XL. Game of Masters
Author's Note

XVI. Prison Spectacle

49.6K 3.2K 351
Autorstwa greenwriter

Three years ago...

"You must know that the garden is not entirely the best place to hide, yes?"

Alex whirled around in surprise and found the very person she was running away from merely moments ago. Her heart began pounding against her chest once again, both from the surprise and disbelief.

"I heard lovers are seemingly victorious in hiding in such places," she said, taking one step back for there was no other way. They were surrounded by tall, well-trimmed sham bushes and he was blocking the only way out.

Alex was trapped.

Ralph chuckled, nodding his head. "True, but you must also know that you have been avoiding a Town Guard for almost the entirety of the evening, yes?"

Alex groaned. "I believe I was indignantly running away, my lord."

That elicited yet another chuckle from him. His smile was gentle. He took one step toward her.

At that point, Alex was considering her options. She could easily bring this man to the ground and he would never have to wake up until the wee hours. But that might land her and her cousins in trouble. This was not a lone road they could easily run away from, after all.

Or she could stay and provide Ralph Everard a little of her time, satisfy his curiosities and be on her way.

"This is perhaps the best time to yield, do you not think so?" he asked, his voice low and his smile seductive.

Alex took in a lungful of air and sighed. Aye, it was best she yielded.

For now.

*****

The iron door creaked loudly when Peters pulled it open. Alex was nonchalantly checking her dirty nails with a bored look on her face despite the rampage inside her chest.

The Guard smugly smiled as he mocked a bow with a wave of his hand to say, "Your private chamber, milady."

Alex managed to pull a wide, sweet, mocking smile and a curtsy. "Why, thank you, kind sir!"

Peters straightened and waited until Alex walked into the cell.

The smell of filth inside was stronger. She could almost picture every moment every prisoner spent inside and she was close to dreading her time here as well.

Alex did her best not to flinch when the cell door banged close behind her.

"Someone shall come to discuss matters of import to you soon," Peters said from outside the cell.

Alex turned, maintaining a defiant, proud smile on her lips. "Truly, guv? Or didye mean someone will come te kill me?"

The smile on Peters' face disappeared and he frowned. "No one will come to kill you."

Alex shrugged and pretended to look around her cell. "Tell me one thing, guv."

"What?"

"What's me crime, eh?"

Peters scoffed. "You are a bandit. That is sufficient enough to allow you a space in this cell."

"As I've said, guv, ye have te prove I'm a bandit first."

Peters stared at her for a long time before he shook his head with a hint of a smile that told Alex he knew what was to become of her fate and it was not good at all.

"When will ye serve me food?" she taunted.

Peters turned around and left, leaving Alex alone in her tiny cell.

*****

"Go to the apartment!" Ralph shouted at the driver the moment he jumped out of the carriage and before he stormed into the offices of The Town Herald.

His mind reeling, Ralph found Samuel inside his office, reading a paper.

His friend looked up in surprise.

"We do not have much time," Ralph said, stopping in the middle of the room only to start pacing.

"What the bloody hell happened to you?" his friend inquired, straightening in his seat and dropping the parchment he was reading.

"She has been taken by the Guards."

Samuel frowned. "Who?"

"The bandit."

Samuel blinked in confusion. "Is that not what Guards are supposed to do?"

"I meant Alex!" he snapped.

Samuel sat confused for a moment before the name registered and he shot to his feet. "You went after the bandit! Why the bloody hell would you go after your sisters' friends!"

"I was working with her on a case!" Ralph said, ignoring Samuel's latter comment. He would rather not think about his sisters' reaction at the moment.

"You must realize, Ralph, that I am bloody confused."

Ralph did his best to recount his journey with Alex, starting from Whiston and to Blucksley as efficiently and fast he could. And while doing so, Samuel was back in his chair, gaping at him with disbelief.

"Now, I need you to help me get her out of there. She could very well be dead before the morrow."

"I would love to ask why you allowed her to walk away with the Guards, Ralph, but I know it would not lead us to anything productive so I shall allow that tiny bit of stupidity slide," Samuel started. "But I would love to ask why you came to me."

"Because I cannot go to Devitt this time for help," he snapped at his friend, hands on his hips. "My brother-in-law's position in the Men of Courts would be questioned should it be found out he had anything to do with a prison breakout."

Samuel blinked rapidly, his mouth falling open even wider. "A prison breakout?"

Ralph made an impatient sound with his tongue. "There is no other way to get her out of there alive. And we are running out of time. Sophia is being held somewhere and Alex—"

"Surely you could do this in a more legal manner!" Samuel said, coming to his feet. "You find the right people to make certain that she is protected inside the prison. I could continue to harass the Guards in my articles to refrain them from repeating the incident with the killed prisoner from last time. We let her go through a trial with the help of your brother-in-law. She would eventually have to be set free as I am certain the Guards do not have anything against her other than the fact that they were ordered to by someone. And whilst all that is happening, you go on your way and find this Jeremy Briars and rescue Sophia." But when Ralph shook his head, Samuel scoffed. "A bloody prison breakout will merely make her a stronger target for these Guards, you fool."

Ralph saw his friend's reason, but he also knew that keeping Alex in that prison would be very dangerous. He shook his head. "I do not wish to be killed by a ghost."

"What?" his friend ask incredulously.

Ignoring Samuel's question, Ralph looked his friend squarely in the eye. "You must help me."

Samuel's jaw tightened. "Bloody hell, you always bring me trouble, you bastard."

"Let us come up with a perfect plan from that perfectly witty mind of yours, Samuel. You have always been good with mind games."

Samuel rolled his eyes. He stared at Ralph for some time before he uttered. "If we are to take the bandit out of prison, we might as well take more with us."

Ralph frowned as he thought of his friend's suggestion. "The records."

Samuel nodded, hiding an ecstatic smile. "Jeremy Briars."

Ralph smacked his friend's arm. "I have always known why I've kept you as a friend, you bloody bastard."

*****

Alex had her head up against the wall, thinking of how a spirit could travel out of one's dead body and get hold of a physical object like a knife and utilize it to kill someone when she heard someone clearing his throat.

She rolled her head to the side and sighed. Standing outside was a man in a very fine suit and a bowler's hat that shadowed his face. She could not see his face clearly but his mouth was surrounded by a well-trimmed mustache.

"Good evening, Miss Griggs, I am Mr. John Melvin."

Alex sighed. She hated when she had to tell the Guards her full name earlier and the longer she looked at Mr. Melvin, the more she regretted not attacking the Guard who forced her to sign the paper before they brought her in her cell.

"I am from the Men of Courts and I am here to represent you."

Alex grunted as she pushed to her feet from the floor. "Ye good at what ye de, Mr. Melvin?" she asked, slowly walking toward the iron bars that separated her from the fine-smelling and fine-looking man outside.

"Yes," Mr. Melvin nodded.

Alex doubted his word but decided to play along. She peered to have a better look at him but he simply pulled his bowler hat lower to hide the rest of his face. "How?"

She saw his lips twitch into a smile, his mustache moving along. "I shall do everything in my power and ability for your release if you tell me something I want in exchange."

"Like how I don't like yer mustache at'll?" she asked with a mocking chuckle. "Doesn't become ye, guv, te tell ye the truth."

His lips thinned. "I do get the same sympathy from my wife, Miss Griggs."

"Yer wife 'n I will be best o' friends then."

Mr. Melvin let the silence reign for a moment longer, allowing Alex to feel that the jesting time was over, before he continued, "You will be free, Miss Griggs, if you tell me what I want to know."

Alex sighed. "All ye bleedin' bastards spent years learnin' many things yet ye come te a filthy prison te learn from me. Oi, when did our world turn upside down, eh?"

Ignoring her remark, Mr. Melvin added, "Tell me where the woman from the Dark Forest is."

Alex frowned. "What woman?"

"The one you rescued from the Dark Forest, Miss Griggs. Such heroic act, I must say, by the by." Mr. Melvin tipped his head to the side, studying Alex. "But that woman is being chased down for a crime and we must find her to bring her to justice."

Alex turned around. "Ye can leave now, guv. I don't know what yer talkin' 'bout. I dinna rescue anyone."

"I am your only way out of this place, Miss Griggs. I suggest you give me what I want and you go before the Men of Courts with the best defense. You have merely petty crimes compared to the woman I wish to find. You shall be free from this place anytime soon if you so wish."

Alex started to whistle a tune as she walked to one corner of her cell.

"You must be traumatized merely by being inside this cell, but I do hope that by the morrow, you would have already gathered your wits. I wish to work with you excellently, Miss Griggs."

She stopped whistling. "I'll have me day in court with or without yer excellent defense, Mr. Melvin."

"Perhaps a longer stay inside this cell shall change that, Miss Griggs. And when you are ready to talk, I shall be there."

Alex started whistling again. She stopped when she was certain Mr. Melvin had departed.

And then she started pacing.

Ralph Everard ought to rescue her from this hell before she went insane!

*****

Ralph was looking at Wynne Hastings with uncertainty. His eyes travelled to Samuel who was sitting behind the man inside the carriage.

"Are you quite certain he is capable of it?"

Samuel shook his head. "If he can stop stammering whenever he is nervous, this shall end perfectly."

"I am bl-bloody nervous as it is," Wynne said, adjusting his spectacles higher on his nose. "Whyever have I agreed to this?"

Ralph gritted his teeth. "Yes, precisely. Why did we have to make him agree to this? We did not have to bring Hastings, Samuel."

"Yes, we do," said his friend. "For our bloody act, we need another pair of hands."

Ralph shifted in his seat. "I am not even quite sure his hands could handle a bloody pistol should the need arise."

"I-I have been trained in weaponry, Everard," Wynne said, taking offense.

"Have you ever found a need to use any of these weapons?"

Wynne shook his head. "No, and I do pray tonight shall not prove to be the first."

Ralph turned to Samuel. "Can it not be you instead?"

Samuel shook his head. "No. By now, everyone knows me as evidenced by my articles and social standing, of course. And my role tonight is necessary considering the Guards currently do not like me at all," and with his thumb, he pointed at Wynne. "While they do not know he even exists as evidenced by his lack of social skills. He is perfect."

The carriage drew to a stop outside the headquarters. Ralph peeked through the curtain of the carriage window and sighed. He turned to the two men. "It is time."

"Peters?" Samuel asked.

"If my source is correct, he is already in his estate, asleep."

The two writers looked at each other. Samuel gave Wynne's shoulder a loud smack. "Just do not stammer, for god's sake, Wynne."

Wynne nodded and adjusted his spectacles again. "You have too little confidence in my abilities, Samuel."

"Then bloody prove us wrong, Hastings," Ralph said. He clenched his fist and turned to Samuel. "Are you ready?"

"No, but do I have a choice?"

Ralph shook his head. "No," he replied before he brought his fist against his friend's face.

*****

The five Guards inside the headquarters came to their feet when Ralph, Samuel and Wynne walked inside.

"What happened?" one of them asked Ralph.

Ralph sighed and pushed Samuel forward. "My good friend, Lord Samuel Theobald has gotten himself in trouble," he uttered dryly. "We were at Grey's playing cards and drinking."

Three of the Guards quickly lost interest and returned to their work. Two remained standing, studying Samuel. "Lord Samuel Theobald, the Herald reporter."

"I did tell you that bloody article did not do any bloody Guard any good," Ralph said to his friend.

The two Guards nodded in agreement.

"I am here to—" Ralph started but Wynne stepped in, his stance completely different from before they entered the door. He was standing tall, his shoulders squared and his eyes looked utterly different that Ralph almost thought they came in with a different person. The confidence in his voice when he uttered, "I am here to file a complaint against Lord Samuel Theobald, gentlemen," was almost unnerving.

The attention of the Guards turned to Wynne.

Wynne stepped forward with an arrogant smile on his lips. "Pardon my intrusion, gentlemen, I am Lord Wynne Hastings."

Although it was obvious the Guards were not familiar with the title, Wynne still managed to catch their full attention by walking forward and grabbing Samuel by the arm. He pushed Samuel to a chair where his friend landed with a grunt. Ralph believed that the scowl Samuel shot at Wynne was genuine.

Wynne brushed his gloved hands together as if he had touched filth and looked at each Guard with a smile. "Now, how shall I begin the proceedings?"

One of the two Guards turned to Ralph. "You do the proceeding, Everard."

"I demand that someone else do it," Wynne interrupted, his voice perfectly strong and clear. "As we all know, Lord Beechworth and this man here are very good friends."

Ralph lifted his hands up as if in surrender. "And I am currently not on official duty tonight," he said, stepping back. "My bed is waiting for me."

"Ralph," Samuel gritted through his teeth, sounding quite desperate.

"I am sorry, my friend, but you did this to yourself." He turned to Wynne. "Good night, Lord Hastings. Until the next card game." He looked at the two Guards and with a short wave of his hand, whirled around and started for the door.

"What happened?" he heard one of the Guards ask.

"An altercation. Lord Theobald here lost and refuses to pay," he heard Wynne reply before he walked out of the door.

But instead of crossing the hallway to walk out, Ralph made a sharp turn to the direction of the prison cells.

*****

Alex was lying on her back when she heard a loud grunt and a thud from outside her cell. She rose to her elbows just in perfect time to see Ralph rush past her cell. Although he was wearing a hat to hide his face, Alex knew it was him.

She was about to call out to him but he reappeared once more. He must have realized that the snoring man from the other cell was no Alex Griggs.

"You appear as though you are enjoying your stay here," Ralph said under his breath so as not to wake any of the other prisoners. He worked with the key to unlock the door while Alex slowly came to her feet. "Perhaps I should reconsider getting you out of here, eh?"

Alex pulled a mocking sweet smile. "So kind of ye, Guard, but I don't like vacations, see? Now, bleedin' open the door, please," she hissed back.

Before Ralph pulled the door open, he whispered. "A thank you will suffice."

"If ye stop wastin' our time, I'll reconsider, guv. But at the rate yer goin', we'll get caught very soon."

Rolling his eyes, Ralph pulled the cell door open.

Alex walked out, making certain not to make any noise, and found one Guard lying unconscious on the ground. "He dinna see ye when ye attacked him, did he?"

"Of course not. I have plans to return here as a Guard, not a prisoner."

She assessed the situation and turned to Ralph. "Me clothes are filthy, guv. Perhaps I'd need a change of uniform?"

Ralph grinned down at her. "I've always known you are a wise one, bandit."

*****

Alex was clad in a Town Guard's uniform very large for her size, her hair hidden under a Guard's hat, the owner currently locked inside the cell she vacated. Ralph was hoping that this plan Samuel concocted would work. He did not like having to turn against his fellow Guards.

"Do it," Ralph gritted out, his eyes closed.

"But, guv, ye know how strong me—"

"Bloody hell, Alex, just bloody do it!"

She shrugged and balled her fists. "Don't say I dinna warn ye, guv," she said before her fist crashed against the side of Ralph's face.

He immediately stumbled back, letting out a silent cry of pain as he bent lower.

"Ye okay, guv?" he heard her ask above him. He motioned with his arm and he complied, stepping into the corridor outside.

"Just remember my instructions," he said, spitting out blood.

A bit dizzy, Ralph turned, leaving Alex to run back to where his two friends were currently holding their own show. As he stumbled inside, everyone turned to him, surprised.

"What the bloody hell happened now?" the Guard from earlier demanded. He looked utterly weary sitting behind his desk, facing Wynne and Samuel.

Ralph pointed with his hand. "I believe I ran against two individuals who were not Guards as I was leaving."

"What the bloody hell do you mean?"

"I meant, Clayton, that we have a breakout!"

Suddenly panic erupted inside the large room as the Guards came to their feet. Things escalated more when shouts traveled from the hallway.

"Runners!" someone shouted from outside. A shot rang out.

The Guards inside the headquarters rushed past Ralph, leaving behind Samuel and Wynne.

Ralph threw his friends a wink before he ran to join his fellow Guards.

"Clayton!" he shouted after the Guard. "How many?" he asked.

"Five of them!" the Guard shouted in frustration.

Ralph narrowed his eyes. "Do not tell me the bandit from Blucksley is amongst them."

"That is yet to be determined," Clayton gritted out. "Bloody hell, Peters will kill us!"

Ralph shook his head and he ran to the entrance of the hallway to join the other Guards. Two were rushing back holding a prisoner. "Tell us that is the fifth one," Clayton asked one Guard.

"That is the last to escape and the first to catch," was the reply.

Everyone cursed under their breath.

Clayton turned to Ralph. "Do you remember who attacked you?"

"It was too fast. I did not realize they were escaped prisoners until I was struck," he lied. He looked ahead. "We have four more prisoners to track down. We better do it fast before we all get into trouble. I shall cover north."

Clayton nodded. "I will go south. You," he said, pointing at another Guard. "You go west. You, go south. Wymer, gather the others not on duty. The rest of you, stay and guard the rest of the prisoners!"

Everyone nodded and ran to different directions. Ralph ran to his carriage and hid inside before anyone could see him. He ordered the driver to wait.

Moments later, another Guard ran out of the building and straight toward his carriage.

Ralph opened the door and Alex jumped inside.

He knocked on the carriage ceiling and they began to roll down the road.

"What now, guv?" Alex asked, panting heavily.

"Now we pray the other prisoners get caught again," he retorted.

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

1.6M 113K 37
SHE IS DIFFERENT... Sophia owes her life to none but one man: Marcus Durley. After saving her from hell, he took her to Rock'oles, the most afflue...
6.1K 564 141
There used to be a time where the world feared Locatlie. This time was merely decades ago. They thought that the Locatlie family was untouchable, the...
21.6K 1.6K 12
When Victoria Swanson discovers her sister is going to be a mail-order bride, Victoria does what any older protective sister would do... kidnap the p...
56 3 17
Kit Wren is an inter-dimensional thief, enslaved by some malevolent spirit and force to scrounge through space-time for choice artifacts. His adventu...