Storm Cadence Series ― Case O...

By KshipraSawant

All Matt wanted was to drink his coffee in peace, but it seems that the Academy Board doesn't care about what... More

Prologue: Breaking Point
Agent, it's Time for Your Briefing
One: Volunteers or Something Else?
Two: Time to Solve a Murder
Four: Fail Flirting With My Older Brother's Ex
Five: Storm Number Six Knew the Vic
Six: I Finally Get to Meet the Murderer
Seven: Meeting the Bad Guy, Part Two: Psycho Snakeophile Edition
Eight: Thank God for Overprotective Papa Bears/Brothers/Godfathers/Friends

Three: Yes, I Have Blown Up City Hall Before

483 9 8
By KshipraSawant

Three: Yes, I Have Blown Up City Hall Before

IHAVE TWO OLDER BROTHERS, Chad and Dylan, and we live with our Dad, Adam, and dad's younger brother Evan.

Dad's first name is Seaton. He has graying hair, and deep blue eyes. Mom always used to joke that his eyes were as deep as the sea. He's managed to raise a blackmailer (Adam), a methodical I.A. who doesn't like rulebooks (Evan), an overprotective mothering playboy (Dylan), a cocky playboy who I really wish I could throw into the Void sometimes (Chad), two amazingly unkillable dogs (Spock and Kirk), and me (not a playboy, because unlike my brothers I'm can't flirt let alone get a date) pretty well since Mom was...taken.

Anyways, Dad is an amazing athlete and he's practically untouchable when it comes to hard-core fighting. Though, he usually doesn't need to fight because most of the time he talks his way out of the situation with his natural "charisma" that swoops people off their feet. That, and he also seems to know exactly what others are feeling. It's as if he has a built-in-lie detector. It's because of this that none of us bother lying to him, and if someone usually wants the truth, they go to him.

Now, Dadlooks much younger than he is, like two hundred years younger. That might have to do with him being a Chosen. So was Mom. She was Luna, which means Moon in Latin. I don't know as much about our history and purpose as Dad does, but he tells me enough to keep me from asking for more. I worry about him though... What if they come for him and...he gets taken just like Mom was? I have nightmares about it sometimes... Most of the time, it's "courtesy" of him.

Anyways, back to Dad.

His Chosen name is Unda, which means Waves. If there's one thing a Chosen hates, it's being called their Latin name. It only brings back traumatizing memories and dreams.

Dad can feel water almost as if it's alive, and it's like it helps him without having to ask. It's almost as powerful as Sovereign Water's Monarch Magic, and that alone is pretty cool if you ask me. Well, that and the fact that he and most of the Monarch Divas are acquaintances. Who has bragging rights like those?

Dad's one of those guys who're confident because they have experience, but he's a sucker for pouts and sugar-coated pleas. I think that's probably because he wanted to have a daughter each time Mom was pregnant with Dylan, Chad, and me. He's usually going to some far off country halfway across the world, and he's constantly in and out of the house. One day he's here. The next day he's gone, and we won't see him again for another week or something... However, you don't really get lonely when you've grown up with this as the norm. Well, also when you have your brother and godfather there to be constants.

Dad's younger brother, my uncle, is Evan. He has black-hair and gold-green eyes. Seriously, I'm not even kidding; his eyes are literally some kind of weird mix of gold and green. He got his looks from Gramps, who was an oculis. Oculises are known for their eyes, hence them being easy to identify, and the best can spot evil intentions from miles away. It's probably because of this that he'd been an Ace in his days at Ever Star. He and Adam were even on the same squad as Aces, and Mom's dad, Doc, had been the I.A. in charge of their squad. Evan is usually the one who has most common sense between all of us, even though he usually throws the rulebook out the window (he has literally done that and it's not limited to rule books) and makes his own rules. A bit unusual but effective.

Onto my next family member, Chad. He's my annoying older brother who seems to believe that his only purpose in life is to make mine miserable. Raise your hand if you're in the same boat. Oh, that many? Good, nice to know I'm not the only one who has a jerk of a brother.

Anyways, Chad has bright red-hair and brown eyes. He's a junior and is in Squad 10-52, the Ace squad that has been doing missions before we'd even gotten into Ever Star. Chad does look like Dylan and I but with our different hair and eye colors, that's where the physical similarity ends. He's the most like Mom by looks, but other than that, he's apparently a lot like Dad when he was a teenager. At least, that's what Evan tells us―Evan tells us a lot of stuff, as you can tell. Now, there's a reason why Chad's such a hothead: it's because he's a volcava. This basically means he's full of melted rock and can withstand high temperatures. One thing that I will admit about him that's cool is that Sovereign Volcanis blessed him when he was born. I call him Cherk, which is Chad and jerk combined together. I've been calling him that since I was in my toddler days. Apparently, it was my first word.

Chad's also an athlete like Dad (I'm almost to his level but I'm not quite there yet), a Rank-7F in Magic-Defense, and he was the biggest playboy in the whole family. Though, the title is now Dylan's because Chad, for once, has a steady girlfriend. What crazy girl is willing to stay with him? Why, it's Susan, June's older sister. I know, but considering that she is June's sis, it isn't surprising. If anyone could keep Chad faithful, it's her.

Chad is Adam's partner for sinister and devious plotting. Together, they can make the most colorful death and torture threats and other things that fall into those categories. It seems that the whole family can, it's just that those two choose to embrace the ability wholeheartedly. In my opinion, their partnership is the worst thing since clowns and snakes came into existence.

Onto the last family member, Dylan. He has red hair, but it's more to the brown side (which always makes me wonder where my blond hair comes from) and blue eyes like Dad. Dylan's six years older than me, and he's Cole's (Roxie's older brother; they've been best friends ever since they supervised Roxie and I back in elementary school) official I.A. partner. They occasionally get missions that have them going somewhere in the world or to other states.

Dylan's a glacias, meaning he's got a cooler body temperature than most. It basically means that he's always hugging someone with the excuse that he feels cold and wants to share body heat (he's just addicted to cuddling but I don't complain because cuddling is a better vice than other things). Like Chad, Sovereign Ice blessed Dylan when he was born. He's the most like Dad by looks, but he's like Mom in every other way. Dylan only loses his cool when it's about family, especially Chad and I, his two younger brothers whom he mothers over constantly... You know, I don't think that Mom ever really left us. No, not left. Mom never left us; she was taken, but I can never bring myself to say it because otherwise... Sometimes, it just seems like Dylan is always in her place... Well, it's official: Freud would love me. I am a walking-talking mess of confused priorities.

Well, other than that, Dylan's a Rank-9D in Magic Defense. That's good, better than Chad's and my rank. However, this brings me onto the next point of my weird older brother. Despite having such a high rank in Magic Defense, Evan tells me that he somehow he ends up either being in serious distress (kidnapped, almost tortured, multiple near-deaths, etc.) in one out of five missions. Now, you remember when I told you that Dylan now has the reputation for being the biggest playboy in the family? All of the people that Dylan ends up hooking up with are either the crim (criminal) or the crim's girl or guy, and are always messed up in the head somehow. I'm seriously worried that one of his hookups are going to kill him one day. Though, Cole is there to watch after him, so I try not to worry too much.

Alright, since we've gone through all of the family members I live with, we should get back with the real story.

Chad finally calls when we reach the underground parking lot.

"What do you want, kid?"

"You're never going to guess what just happened." I say, trying to keep from sounding too glum since one of the only good things that could come out of being an Ace is making Chad proud of me. Though, I know he would rather admit that he used to be Captain Gummy Bear―the leader and savior of all the abandoned gummy bears out there in our cruel world―than straight out say he's proud of me. Chad has, as I like to call them, "pride problems".

"Just tell me; I don't have much time otherwise Miller's gonna have my head. Betsy was giving me a look too. I never liked that damn lemur, I mean who thought it was a good idea to even let him teach with a friggin' lemur sitting on his shoulder..." Chad starts muttering.

"I'm on Squad 10-54 with Adam, Derek, and June. Maybe you can tell me who the hell thought this was a good idea?" I hiss before forcibly calming myself down. I take a breath before sipping my coffee.

"You know the answer to that, Maddie." Chad says after a pause. "Well, it's nice to know that you've actually accomplished something in life for once. It finally looks like we have a family of aces." He snickers, and it's an extremely lame joke (Evan-level lame). But, in all honesty, I care a little less since I hear the pride in his voice.

"You're a dweeb," I tell him solemnly.

"Shut up, Maddie."

"Make me, Cherk."

"Do you want me to put dog shit in your shoe again?"

"There's been a murder," I start abruptly. I really don't want to have my day end with poo in my kicks. "The vic went missing a week ago. I think he was kidnapped and then murdered, because he was found dead this morning. And while we're on the subject of kidnapping, another one happened today. It was Tsuki Gekido." I say, taking a sip to try and wash away the taste the words left on my tongue.

"The girl that Zack's in love with?" Wait, in love with? What does he mean "in love with"? "She's so nice, too nice..." Chad continues. "Tsuki didn't deserve any of this. She's too... She's one of the only Witches who's good to the core," he sighs.

"Mm..." I hum sullenly into my coffee, feeling a knot tighten in my chest. We really need to find Tsuki soon...

"And Adam and I think that," I take a deep breath to try and prepare myself for the next words, "maybe Venator Luna is behind this." I curse mentally as my voice quivers for a fraction of a second because of the sickeningly familiar pain that stabs at me. This time it's affecting my body too, because I almost drop my coffee from flinching so hard.

"What did I tell you about saying the Latin name of a Hunter? It's going to make you weak! The more you hear or think their Latin names, the more your mind and body become affected by them! Don't try to be try to be a hero because you don't wear that mantle well." Chad reprimands, failing to hide the concern lacing his voice. I note how he said mantle; he's definitely spending too much time around Evan.

I take a breath and instead of saying his Latin name, I call him by the name that everyone else in the Inside World refers to him as.

"Three might be behind the murder of Jett Lane, but why he would want to kidnap and kill Jett and kidnap Tsuki is a complete blank to me. I mean Adam had said that Jett had 'written' Tsuki with his blood, and you know that Three's... Anyways, we're going to the place of Jett's murder: the abandoned warehouse on Miller Street." I say, feeling Adam's gaze boring holes into my back when I'd proposed my theory about Three's involvement. Whoops, maybe he hadn't wanted me to say anything about it.

I curse at the fact that my hands are still shaking from saying Three's name and down my coffee all at once before throwing it away.

"Look, I'm telling you this because you're an idiot...be careful." Something inside me twists painfully, because Chad is actually worried about me and if we're actually spending time not being annoyed at each other then everything just feels too off and emotional and Chad and I are just no good with emotions.

After a moment, he sighs. "Anyways, are you making any progress on the case?"

I take a second before answering. "Starting to yeah; we're about to head over to the scene and look around before heading back and collaborating with everyone about what we've gathered." I reply.

"Good, it sounds like you're finally fitting in somewhere for once." He tries to sound sarcastic, but honestly he sounds more relieved than anything else.

"Right..." I just want to blurt the fact that I never wanted to be an Ace in the first place, but it seems that people seem to believe I deserve to be one, so I might as well learn to suck it up for now. I can say "I told you so" when I manage to screw things up like I always do.

"Just...keep your ass out of trouble." Chad says for the millionth time, and before I can retort, he speaks again. "You may have Dad's stamina, Mom's flexibility, and you may be a Rank-5L in Magic Defense, but you're still an idiot who doesn't use his head most of the time. It's because of this that you're the one and only idiot who destroyed I.W. Milwaukee's City Hall." He reminds. I can tell that he's got an evil grin on his face, because that's the expression he always wears when reminding me about the incident.

"That was one time! Mayor Mil has already forgiven me! I'll remember never to set fire to petroleum jelly in City Hall ever again!" I quip into the phone.

He scoffs. "Why don't you do everyone a favor: never ignite petroleum jelly ever again." He sighs for the millionth time. "Just take care of yourself and watch out for Three, you dunce."

"I love you too," I say dryly before hanging up. I finally look at the others, opening my mouth to apologize for taking so long on the phone. I stop, because they're all staring at me strangely, and I quickly get annoyed. "What's with the looks?" I demand.

"I know you do some pretty crazy stuff, but lighting petroleum? And why didn't I know about this? That's really good blackmail." Adam questions, exasperated.

"It happened a year ago, and I think that was when you were getting payment for some bet." I sigh.

He nods in understanding. "How would Alec react to that?" He then thinks aloud. Mr. Pendragon is the Head of the Science Department; he's also Mr. Fisher's younger brother.

"He was there actually," I tell him. "Chad had asked him to come over for some help with an experiment but blew him off to go on a date. Alec decided that since I was the only one at the house―and that he could wait a couple of hours before giving Chad detention―he could take me on a 'fun and educational' trip so that I could 'learn how amazing science is and not end up like my ungrateful and irresponsible brother'. We were going to the science museum a block down from City Hall." I start. "Mayor Mil had a message for the Headmistress, so he stopped us. You can guess how things snowballed from there." I finish.

"No wonder Alec had called that one time asking me to tell 'lell that he was going to 'sleep off the burn for the next few days'." Adam recalls; 'lell is what he calls the Headmistress. I'm just surprised that he's still alive because of how the Headmistress is, but I guess he's just a favorable guy. Hah! Who am I kidding? He probably has dirt on her like he does on everyone else. I swear he could have blackmail on the President and no one knows.

Wait... what if Adam does have blackmail on the President? What if he has blackmail on both presidents?

There's a second of silence as I mull over the fact that Adam most likely has dirt on a number of influential figures in the world.

"Who ignites petroleum jelly, and in City Hall on top of that?" Derek asks, dubious.

"Me." I deadpan, still getting over my horror at the fact that this scary as shit ex-Grim Reaper is really my godfather.

"Cough! Crime scene! Cough! We're needed! Cough! Going to be late! Cough, cough! Ahem." Adam fake-coughs. I jump at the sound of his voice. It's for sure; I will never be the same after becoming aware of the possibility that Adam might just be the most terrifying being on the face of the planet. I should probably compose myself, before he decides to try and use blackmail to figure out what's wrong. And yes, I do note the irony of that sentence.

"Yeah, yeah." I roll my eyes. "Just load the car up already." I say.

Adam hums and he scrolls through the car list before finding a silver Carrera GT. The garage door rattles before it opens to reveal the sweet Porsche.

"You sure know how to lie low," June remarks dryly as she crosses her arms.

Adam's eyes twinkle with amusement. "Who wouldn't want to ride in a Porsche?"

June can only concede.

Adam gets in and June, Derek, and I all glare at each other as if we're at a Mexican standoff. We ready our hands, and have an epic Rock-Paper-Scissors match. They get lucky though, because they both pick paper and I pick rock. They claim the backseats and I trudge over to the passenger seat.

"Damn you..." I growl, but it sounds more like a sob, before I get in. I glance at Adam, knowing that I'll probably lose years of my life on the drive. Adam's driving skills are crazy, and anyone who drives shotgun knows this very, very well.

"Well, it's official. My squad has time management problems. And trust issues with my driving, but I don't know why." Adam says as he starts the car.

"Maybe it's because one of your driving philosophies is 'speed limits are just suggestions'." I mutter under my breath, but Adam hears and fixes a stern look on me. I raise my hands in surrender. "Whatever, just don't kill me." I request as if it's my last will and testament, buckling my seatbelt and wishing for an industrial one. You know, the kind they use on rockets so the astronauts don't go flying out of their seats. Just in case we crash, which we probably will...

Sovereigns, I really need a coffee.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

136K 302 14
Adult content 🔞⚠️ , smut...😍 read ur own rick ❌‼️
109K 4.3K 42
(This is not machine translated!) (Starts from chapter 241.) A guy in his late twenties one day wakes up in someone else's body and realises he's gon...
202K 9.6K 53
My name is Alex Cruz, I'm a omega, so I'm just a punching bag to my pack. But Emma, Queen of werewolves Sam, queen of dragons Winter, queen of vampi...
65.9K 2K 17
Warning: 18+ ABO worldကို အခြေခံရေးသားထားပါသည်။ စိတ်ကူးယဉ် ficလေးမို့ အပြင်လောကနှင့် များစွာ ကွာခြားနိုင်ပါသည်။