Damned If I Do *Matt Murdock*...

By Anika_Ann_M

Dropping out of college after two years and an unpleasant break-up, Vera needs a change - so when she gets an... More

Dear reader,
Author's notes
Playlist...kind of
Prologue
1) Home, keep hold on my heart (when I try to run away)
2) Looking for heaven (find yourself in Hell instead)
3) Just like the weather (can't hold her together)
Daily dose of cuteness (Matt)
4) (When food is gone...) You are my daily meal
5) I don't wanna talk about it (I don't wanna listen all that much)
6) Heaven help me...
Stalker extraordinaire (Matt)
7) ...I need to make it right
8) So long and lost (Are you missing me?)
9) Remember the fine night there...
10) ...didn't I show I cared?
11) I've been sleepless at night ('cause now I know how I feel)
12) I never knew (...daylight could be so violent)
13) I will hold on (...and never let go)
('Cause it's burning ) In the bloodline (Terri)
14) (Disappearing) In a plain sight
15) What if love is a feeling (...to believe in?)
17) ...The parting line
18) I'm not the same anymore...
19) ...maybe we've come too far
A tribute to your glory (Sergei)
20) (Revelation) In the light of day
21) You can't choose what stays...
22) ...and what fades away
Of Richards, slaps and religious issues (Tony Stark)
23) I'm not giving up...
24) ...I'm just giving in
25) I feel so much better now...
... do you feel like you feel alive? (Epilogue - snapshots)
Coda added
Sidefic posted
Late bonus: The Heart Is Hard To Translate (It Has a Language Of Its Own)
Sequel - book two of Damned

16) You thought it might disguise...

5.5K 136 80
By Anika_Ann_M

Getting up at seven a.m., Vera made herself presentable first. Then she went shopping, buying necessary ingredients for cheesecake and dough for the sweets. At night a.m. she lightly knocked on Nina's door, hoping she wouldn't be still in bed – or worse, her husband wouldn't be sleeping, because she would not want to wake him up.

Nina answered the door with a bright smile. "Vera! It's so good to see you."

"Who the hell is bothering us at nine a.m. on Saturday morning?" Vera heard growling voice and instinctively took a step back.

Nina rolled her eyes and turned back to the apartment. "It's just Vera, honey. She's here to talk about the rent. Drink your coffee."

Vera would never ever understand how their relationship worked. Also, rent. She had to pay it too. "I'll send the money this morning," she promised, "but I am here to ask a favour. Could I borrow your baking form? A round one? You wouldn't happen to have the one with removable sides, would you?" she asked hesitantly.

Nina winked at her. "I'll see what I can do. Sorry." She closed the door, letting her stand in front of her flat in the empty hallway. It was actually quite funny. Nina returned quickly, having exactly the form Vera needed in her hands.

"You're a miracle worker, Nina. I'm serious. Would you mind if I stopped by tomorrow so I could share? Or would you come over? We haven't talk in ages and I'm sorry..."

Nina's eyes shined with roguish sparks. "Don't worry about it. I get it. No time for a literally old friend while dating.... Don't look at me like that. You're glowing, Vera. Only young love can do that. I would love to hear more about it. I might actually come over if you wouldn't mind. Thao is getting cranky. It's the cold weather. Morning or afternoon?" she asked kindly.

Vera blushed, wondering whether she really seemed to be in love. "It doesn't really matter. I want to go to Fogwell's in the evening, but otherwise I'm free."

"Okay. Around two p.m.?" Nina offered and Vera agreed as she accepted the form.

"Two p.m. it is. Thank you, Nina."

"Nina? Is something wrong? Does she-" Thao's voice demanded and Nina cursed.

"Coming, honey! See you," she hissed at Vera and slammed the door in front of her nose again. Vera snorted in amusement and went back to her apartment to get to work.

She made the cheesecake first, preparing the dough for gingerbreads while waiting for the cake to bake. She was hoping the oven wouldn't do something unexpected like baking twice as fast. It didn't. It was quite the opposite, but that was the better option. She managed to prepare the dough for lintz, cacao and crescent rolls as well before turning the oven off. She was satisfied with her work, putting the dough in the fridge. She had enough time to make a quick lunch, sent the rent and headed to MDDC.

Her shift had no Terri, which was a shame. She was in with Barbara (yikes) and Michelle (hurray). The day was slow, but it was better than Saturday mornings - those were pure boredom unless she had a shift with someone chatty (like Terri or Michelle). Barbara ruined every single attempt of a conversation from Michelle's side, so Michelle talked to Vera instead. Vera learned that Michelle was planning another trip (for two weeks only this time) with her boyfriend - to Brazil. Vera had no idea where she was getting the money for her journeys.

---

Vera was walking home, when she got the call. It was an unknown number. She frowned at her phone, wondering who would call her so late.

"Macháčková," she answered the call hesitantly. Her other hand did not squeeze her pepper spray harder on instinct.

"Hi, Vera," the male and very familiar voice said on the other end of the line. Blood froze in her veins. Matt.

"What's wrong? Where are you? Are you hurt?" she darted out questions, getting ready for another run for his life. How the hell did he manage to get himself hurt again? What was he even doing outside?! He had gotten stabbed less than a week ago!

"Why don't you take the next left and see by yourself?" he asked, teasing her.

And what? "What?!"

She sped up, walking in the alleyway on her left determinedly. There was no one in there. She walked further, scanning her surroundings. Only shadows greeted her.

"I thought we talked about your conversation skills over the phone."

She jumped, her hand shooting to her chest, trying to keep her frantically beating heart inside. "Ježiši Kriste!" She spun on her heels to face him. "Don't do that!" she admonished him, pissed off and scared to death.

He was standing right behind her (well, now in front of her), a smug grin on his lips; the only visible part of his face. The rest of his body was wrapped in black. Very thin black. How was he not freezing? Vera wore her warmer coat already. She shoved her phone back to her handbag with a huff.

"Blasphemy. And seriously, it's rude to answer you phone like this."

She couldn't believe him. "I am entitled! You're calling me from your work phone. The number I do not know, so in case some bad guy called my number from it, he would already know my name!"

"He wouldn't. I don't have your number programmed in this one anymore and I'll delete the record of calling it. You're welcomed to save mine though." His voice wasn't Matt's, she realized. It was the Devil's.

"Well, you should have it there, that's my point from the very beginning. What are you even doing here? Sorry to remind you, but you were stabbed just few days ago!" she was angry with him.

And despite his cockiness (she hated guys being too confident,) she wanted to throw herself around his neck and never let go. Kiss the shit out of him, because he was right here and he was in the freaking tight black uniform or whatever and speaking in his engaging hoarse voice, so similar to the one she had heard two nights ago, when he had gotten enthusiastic about her persuading methods and it made her whole body tingling. She hated it. Her body was her biggest enemy these days.

"Nice try." He approached her, grabbing her arm gently but firmly, pulling her aside from the sights of people on the main street. For a second, he actually seemed guilty. "I'm sorry. I wanted to see you."

Vera almost melted. Almost. "Well, I can imagine that could be difficult for you.... But was this really necessary? I have a flat, you know. With a door in case you're getting any ideas. Also, are you suicidal? Stab wounds, Ma- Mike."

His grin returned. "Mike, huh? I'm okay, Vera. I know my limits."

"I'm sure you do..." She was downright sceptical. And once again, she was entitled. She measured him with a doubtful glare. He didn't wear himself like he was in pain. But then again, he rarely did.

And his mask irritated her, because it made her to focus on his lips and god, she wanted them. So badly. She hypnotized them, painfully aware of how close they were.

Mad. She was mad at him.

"I'll keep that in mind. But I'm serious." It wasn't just his lips being so close. His whole body was and he took a step into her space, forcing her to retreat. Her back collided with a wall. "I really missed you, you know."

So suggestive.

His words, his tone.

Her brain wasn't able to form words as he bordered her head at its sides with his gloved palms on the wall. Her eyes kept flickering to his mouth wearing a small smile. He was shamelessly seducing her in the dark alley in the middle of the night. And the shadows, the dimmest light, the mysteriousness, his low voice, his lips smiling predatorily – it all worked too well.

Angry. She was-

His lips met hers hungrily, opening her mouth with no effort. Her handbag fell to the ground, forgotten, her hands reaching for his body, tracing it over the black material so thin she barely registered it. His knee wedged between her legs, pressing his body to hers tighter. Her toes curled in pleasure when his mouth left hers to explore the small spot on her neck between her jaw and the hem of her scarf. He bit her there teasingly and she couldn't supress a moan. Her wrists were suddenly pinned to the wall above her head, gripped violently in one hand. He returned to her mouth playing with her lower lip with his teeth.

"Matt," she breathed out desirous, considering letting him to do anything he wanted to, right there. She liked to think she was rather shy, especially relatively in public - but this was hot as fuck. Her insides were burning.

"Missed you," he murmured to her lips absently and pulled away few inches, letting go of her wrists. She was welcomed by cold again.

"Missed you too," escaped her lips before she could stop herself and restart her brain. She snapped her eyes open, welcomed by his mask.

"The mask is irritating, you know?" she complained. (She would not admit that his mouth attracted her attention even more since she couldn't see his eyes. Ever.)

He took a step back and carefully lifted the black fabric, still leaving it on his head. His gaze was distant, vaguely focusing on her nose. "Better?"

Vera smiled. He was Matt again. She couldn't make herself feel sorry for the Devil's departure, seeing his soft eyes. "Yeah. But I'm right about the phone number whether you like it or not. I'll prove you wrong one day." He opened his mouth to protest, but she wasn't finished. "Also, you're a traitor, you know that?"

Matt blinked in surprise, head tilting. "Why?"

"I was thinking you were sweetly nervous when asking me to the benefit," she whispered exasperatedly, "while you were just keeping details for yourself, weren't you?"

"I..." he started, squirming uncomfortably and Vera sensed the upcoming lie. She placed her hand over his heart, challenging. His eyes popped at her tactics.

"Hey, if you're able to tell when I am lying, I deserve the same! Did you know what kind of a fancy benefit it was when you asked me? "

He looked miserable. "Yes," he sighed. Vera could feel his steady heartbeat.

She gritted her teeth. He knew she was terrified by anything too fancy! It required different types of formal clothing and using the right forks. "Was the secrecy a part of your evil plan to get me there, because you knew once I'll say yes, I probably won't back out when I'll find out about it later?"

Matt made an unhappy grimace, but didn't answer - she must have been right to a hair. She smacked his chest, not caring if she hit any wound.

"Blbečku!" she vented her indignation and slapped the same spot again.

The corner of his lips twitched. "You're cute when you swear in your mother tongue."

She looked at him with disbelief. Cute. Cute?! She stretched out her hand to smack him once more, but he caught her wrist strongly. "Let go."

Matt didn't. He lowered his head and gave her palm a small kiss. And it was really unfair, because he switched from cockiness to greediness, to tenderness in seconds and she loved every side of him (yes, even the cockiness, there was something about it what made her heart to do funny things). It was hard to be angry with him, especially when it wasn't a life-death situation.

Feeling her anger fading away, he did let go of her hand. He didn't say a word though.

"You're lucky I love you," Vera mumbled under her breath and was rewarded by his brilliant smile and slow gentle kiss.

"I know I am. Come on, I'll walk you home." He returned his mask back to its place, hiding his eyes.

Vera was bewildered by his exclaim, but it turned out that being walked home by the Devil of Hell's Kitchen meant being followed by the invisible figure moving from rooftop to rooftop silently. Reaching the door of her apartment building, she looked around, noticing a person crumbled on a top of the nearest building – Vera was pretty sure she saw him only because he wanted to be seen.

"Let me know when you get home, okay?" she said in a low voice, knowing he would hear her.

She received his text shorty after she entered her flat.

I will. I love you.

Vera didn't fight a smug smile when she realized he had written it from his burner phone, wondering if he was going to delete the message as well as the record of calling her earlier. She was confident he was considering saving her number again. Vera would definitely save his. From that night, his 'work number' was listed in her contacts as Mike.

---

Back at home without a scratch. read the text. Vera checked the time of receiving – 2:35. She wondered what was Matt's definition of 'without a scratch'. She guessed it meant he wasn't seriously injured, since she didn't believe he hadn't gotten into any fight last night and escaped unhurt. She was grateful he did let her know, smiling contentedly as she read the text for the third time.

Vera got up from her bed, excited about baking, only to realize she didn't have a rolling pin or cutters. Or baking sheets for that matter. She huffed and decided to pay Nina another visit. Nina was surprised, but Thao wasn't at home this time, so Vera could come in and choose few cutters from Nina's collection. She confirmed the afternoon visit and Vera come back to her flat.

In her laptop, she found some of the old Czech Christmas songs she usually listened while baking with her mum, so she put them on, humming in the rhythm. She was busy the whole morning, almost forgetting to grab a lunch – her flat was a mess, baked cooling sweets everywhere, flour probably even behind her ears, but she was smiling happily when she removed the last batch of lintz from the oven, gingerbreads already finished from before. She was proud of herself.

Vera took a short shower before eating, because she actually had flour in her hair and she didn't want to scare Nina. Cooking couscous and vegetable in order to save time, she was ready to Nina's visit and managed to clean up briefly. She answered the door with a bright smile, carols and Christmas songs still echoing in her head.

"I don't know what you're baking, but it smells amazing all over the building," was Nina's first words, when Vera welcomed her. Nina had two cups of steaming drink in her hands, corners of lips turned up. Whatever it was, it had a huge cap of whipped cream with tiny marshmallows on it. "It made me all christmas-y, so I brought hot chocolate."

"With marshmallows?" Vera wondered, absolutely baffled, before she realized they served it in MDDC too. She never gave it much thought – she didn't understand people's tastes, she just accepted it. "Sorry, come in."

She stole the cups from Nina, so she could took off her shoes. Despite having lunch about an hour ago, her mouth watered as she carried them to the living room. They had to drink it as soon as possible. The whipped cream already started melting.

"Wow. It really smells great. You did all of these by yourself?" Nina examined the plates with stacked pieces and Vera shrugged. She didn't think it was too much. But then again, her mum was a megalomaniac when it came to baking, so her measuring scale might be wrong.

"Yeah. Sit down, please. The chocolate looks amazing. The cheesecake can wait, unless you want to eat it with it."

Nina sat on the couch, shaking her head. "It would be a crime to mix those two up. I'm sure the cake is delicious."

Vera brought spoons for both of them and sat cross-legged in an armchair, taking the cup in her hands. She worked on the treasure with respect, surprised that the marshmallows didn't ruin it.

"Huh. It actually tastes good. Never thought this combination would work..."

Nina just laughed. "Why do you think people drink it?"

"Because they are weird. I mean, they drink pumpkin latté too. I couldn't even smell it, it was hell," Vera admitted, watching Nina enjoying her own cup, now frowning.

"Touché. I tried it once – no offence, but it's crap."

"Non-taken. So, how's life treating you? How is work? What about Maria?" Vera asked her, genuinely curious. They really hadn't talked for too long.

Nina eyed her, face delighted. "She's coming home for holidays. Taking her girlfriend with her. I haven't seen her in ages, because she couldn't come last year. I can't wait. I didn't have a chance to meet Caitlin, yet," she shimmered, suddenly looking ten years younger. Nina loved her daughter. Vera wondered how much her mum missed her. She suspected it was more than she was letting on.

"That's great. When she's arriving? I would love to meet her if you let me."

"21st November. So we can spend Thanksgiving together too."

Nina seemed to be glowing. Vera remembered they learnt at school about Thanksgiving being more important for family than Christmas in US – she had been seeing hints of upcoming holiday everywhere, she just didn't make the connection, since they never celebrate anything like this in Czechia.

"But, speaking of meetings... who's the mysterious thief of your time, making you too stay up late, answering your door in pyjama at half past nine?"

Nina was grinning. The news of Maria's visit made her truly happy and now she was teasing Vera. Vera blushed at the memory, especially at the fact Matt had been in her apartment at that time, only feet away from her neighbour and friend.

"Uhm..."

"Whoever it is, I don't judge. My daughter is gay, Vera. If he or she has two heads, it doesn't matter, because your eyes are shining," she reassured her motherly and Vera bit her lip. She didn't know where to start – she was certain Nina heard about Matthew Murdock – whether as a kid losing his sight when saving an old man or as a lawyer.

"Uhm. Actually, he's a really sweet guy, with only one head and a brilliant mind," she exclaimed, voice light.

Nina's eyebrow shot up. "Go on. You're blushing so hard I'm afraid you're feverish. Do I know him? Is he fifty or what?"

Why was everybody assuming her boyfriend was greybeard? It was offensive.

"He is not," she defended him and herself. "He's fresh out of college, pretty much. It's just... you probably do know him. We met in a café and at Fogwell's." She didn't mention he was actually arriving after her. She also kept the small detail that they had met several other times while he was wearing a black mask for herself.

"So...?"

"His name is Matt. Matt Murdock. He's a lawyer-"

Nina whistled. "Okay. Wow. I would be blushing too if I dated him. And was your age, of course. I am not- whatever. Huh. Matt Murdock. You live to surprise." She seemed astonished. If Vera didn't thought he was out of her league too, she would be insulted.

"Yeah. I know. I have no idea what he sees in me." 1,2,3... "Poor choice of words. You know what I mean..."

Nina frowned. "I didn't mean it like that. God, no. Vera. I didn't expect it, though. Maybe I should. Czech girl, moving to Hell's Kitchen, temporarily perhaps, interested in boxing, working in a café despite hating coffee. You know what? I take it back. I am not surprised. Of course you charmed the-blind-lawyer-who-is-pretty-much-a-local-celebrity. I should have seen it coming," she muttered under her breath.

"Like you said. I live to surprise. Which reminds me – even heard of Landman and Zack?"

"Yeah. They are a big deal. It's impossible not to." Vera would not second this one. She had no idea who they were. "And we had few arguments with them recently. Why?"

Vera huffed. She shouldn't have asked. But she didn't want to rely on Terri's opinion only. She didn't believe Terri was the right person to advise her about formal clothing, no matter how much she loved her friend. "Well. They have something like an annual benefit, from what I understood. And I am... kinda invited. I have no idea what to wear. I'm afraid I don't even have enough money to buy something I could wear," she admitted, desperation reaching her voice.

The corners of Nina's lips twitched. "Kinda invited? It wouldn't have anything to do with your love interest, would it?"

"Maybe. I'm thinking about refusing it. Seems like a better option than making an a- an idiot of myself. Or him, for that matter..."

Nina eyed her thoughtfully. "Why would you make an ass of yourself?"

Wasn't it clear? She just told her. Vera shrugged. "'Cause I'm not as poor as a church mouse, but there is no way no one notices I do not belong there."

Nina huffed. "Please. It's all about the art of disguise. Any ideas? Show me what you got."

Vera was bewildered. She didn't expect this visit to turn out this way. She took her notebook, searching her old photos from dance competitions, to show Nina her shoes.

"Making an ass from yourself, huh? I wouldn't worry about that. I guess dancing skills are covered, aren't they?" she mocked her.

Vera smiled at the memories of the group she had been a part of after leaving the contemporary dance classes. It had been just a matter of time before she would switch, especially when their former teacher had retired. Ballroom dancing in pairs connected in a group had been a big change, but she loved it anyway. In their area, it was common to attend dance lessons after finishing elementary school – she had felt in love with it instantly, not wanting to stop after finishing the course with her classmates. One year, she had been attending both, contemporary and ballroom, then falling for the latter and leaving. They had had three more years of fun and sweat, music being their heartbeat. She didn't stay in contact with her group intensively, but they still met at least twice a year. Never the whole squat at one time though.

Someone's hand snapped fingers in front of her eyes. Vera blinked in surprise. "Sorry. Great memories."

"I'm sure they are. The shoes are good. You would probably also feel more comfortable in them, since you're used to it. We wouldn't want to exaggerate and make you more unsure you're already are. Any dress?"

Vera bit her lip, finding a picture of the red ones her mum should send her. Nina let out a disproving sound. "Not fancy enough, right? Damn. I thought so," she cursed and Nina clicked her tongue.

"It's not that bad. I'm thinking red is okay and you're young, so you don't have to necessarily wear a gown. You can go for short dress." Nina reflected out loud.

Vera resisted the urge to whine. She didn't understand a thing about this. And she didn't want to wear something she wouldn't be able to move in. Or breathe. She was confident she wouldn't be capable of breathing even without clothes trying to suffocate her. She observed Nina's expression as it lighted up.

"What?"

Nina winked. She winked at her. "I might know the right person to help you."

Why that sentence scared the shit out of Vera? "Meaning what?"

Nina gave her a smug smile. "You wouldn't believe if I told you."

"Try me..."

---

"So the cousin of your ex-husband, who you married on your eighteenth birthday and divorced a month later, because you found out he cheated on you with your cousin, is a tailor?" Vera asked Nina incredulously, losing herself in Nina's narration.

Nina shook her head. "Close enough. It was a step-mother of my cousin he cheated on me with, but I get it, my family relationships are difficult..."

"No kidding."

"But, I am pretty sure she would be willing to postpone everything she's working on and sew a prefect model for a reasonable price for you if you would wear it once and she could sell it then. Well, she would do it for me, since she owes me."

"You would spend the favour she owes you on me? Don't be ridiculous."

"She owes me like a million favours," Nina noted and kept Vera wondering.

"What did you do?"

"I helped her to find a ridiculously cheap apartment after she was kicked out from her flat – her neighbours kept complaining about constant visits and clatter of a sewing machine. She has her own house now though. And I found a flat for her sons and daughter. Huh. She really does owe me." Nina sounded as surprised as Vera was.

"And I am the one who lives to surp-"

Nina waved it off. "Doesn't matter. What are you doing tomorrow afternoon and evening? Nothing? Awesome. We're going for a trip!" She clapped her hands and looked around the room. "So, where is the cheesecake?"

Vera stood up and cut the piece of a cheesecake for both of them, putting two other pieces on Nina's original plate so she could carry it home. She was too caught off guard by the development of the events that she couldn't find strength to protest. Against anything.

And in case the afternoon didn't feel surreal enough, it started snowing lightly. No snow stayed on the streets – it melted the same moment it touched the ground – but it left Vera in awe the same. She barely paid attention to Nina who was talking about her preparations for Maria's and Caitlin's visit. Vera wondered when was she was going to wake up from this strange dream.

She didn't. She woke up on Monday morning on her set alarm, remembering doing some more baking after Nina left, going to Fogwell's and back home, showering, wrapping herself in covers and finding a text from Matt (All good. I'll take a wild guess it was you, who listened the songs I didn't understand a word from. Loved it.) received at 3 a.m. She pinched herself to make sure it was real anyway.

---

The whole Monday didn't feel real either. Her morning shift passed in one blur with only one significant moment. A blonde woman eyed hers and Barbara's nametags curiously while waiting for her order, checking the cups after Vera handed them to her – she didn't seemed to be surprised when she found a sticker on Matt's. Blood coloured Vera's cheeks as the woman looked up and smiled at her kindly. Vera wondered whether the invitation to the party applied to her as well, or Foggy was taking her. Maybe she wouldn't come with them at all – Vera would be glad if she would – she wanted to meet Matt's friend and co-worker.

"Thanks, Vera. Matt says hi, by the way. Anything you want me to pass on?" she asked, still smiling, no trace of annoyance.

Vera gaped at her in shock. So he was using the poor woman as a messenger now? She was thinking about what she could tell him when she remembered he had been listening to her while she had been baking and humming, occasionally singing and she wanted to sink into the floor of the café.

"Well. I guess you're Karen Page, so nice to meet you." Vera extender her hand over the counter as Karen moved the holder to her left hand and reached out to her with a small laugh.

"Yes, that would be me. Nice to meet you too."

"You can let him know he should stop being a lazy ass and get his own coffee and also stop eavesdropping, he'll know what I mean." Damn his superhearing! ...But he had send his regards at least. She sighed and leaned over the counter, gesturing to Karen to do the same, so she could whisper to her ear (and make sure, or she hoped so, that Matt wouldn't get the message before Karen told him) "And please, tell him 'Miluji tě.' He wouldn't know what that means, but that's the point."

Karen smiled wickedly. "Miluji tě," she repeated in low voice and Vera nodded.

"Exactly. You're amazing, Karen. Sorry for being used like a carrier pigeon," Vera apologized, feeling honestly guilty.

Karen waved it off. "Please. I used to work as a secretary at Union Allied – I had to do much worse. Matt and Foggy? They treat me as an equal. I actually offered to buy coffee today and be the messenger. See you around, Vera." She winked and left the café.

So no, morning and early afternoon didn't feel real in the slightest.

After the shift, she dropped the groceries she bought on her way home in her flat before picking up Nina – well, picking up. Nina borrowed a car from her friend so they didn't have to use public transport to get to Jersey and drove Vera to the tailor. For Vera, the woman had a cover name the tailor, because she wouldn't know how else to describe their relation in one word otherwise. Even when she learned her name was Edna, she would be the tailor - recalling The Incredibles, Vera refused to call her Edna, because she burst out laughing every time Nina said it out loud. She wanted to call her by her last name, until she found out it was a total crack-jaw. Well, it was the smallest of her problems anyway.

The ride was too short. Nina parked her car in front of a huge two stories house and Vera's jaw fell down. "The ground floor is her atelier. She an artist, Vera. Grandiosity and chaos is what she lives for. Come on."

Vera hesitantly followed her as she opened the gate to a tiny dooryard and rang the bell. It took about two minutes for someone to answer through the speaker. "Have an appointment?" The woman's voice crooked mechanically, disguised by the old machine.

Nina touched some button on it. "It's Nina, Eddie. I'm here-"

A buzzing sound and the door opened with no other words.

"Okay..." Vera breathed out, failing to calm herself down. If she was nervous now, what would she be on Saturday? A wreck, a quiet sarcastic voice answered her. She shushed it mentally.

They entered a cosy hall with hangers sowed all over the opposite wall, colourful slippers lined up under it. Seeing the homey space, Vera relaxed a little.

"Hello, darlings!" shouted a cheerful voice from their right and Vera jumped. Nina wasn't surprised. She obviously knew what to expect.

Vera eyed the woman cautiously, relieved she wasn't black-haired with extravagant glasses – she wore small decent ones and her blond hair was tied to a messy bun. She was dressed in a slightly lunatic-looking overall, wearing a pair of bright orange slippers.

Nina received a hug and a kiss on a cheek. "Hi, Eddie."

Eddie turned to Vera and grinned at her widely, showing her all teeth.

Vera decided the woman was insane. As in good insane. There was no reason for her to wear anything fancy – she was apparently in the middle of working on something and she was basically meeting an old friend. Vera wouldn't judge her ability to sew and design according to her outfit and behaviour. Her pitching glare directed to Vera made her nervous though.

"Stop shifting, sweetheart. I'm just observing my customer, mentally scratching some of my earlier ideas. I prepared some drafts for you. I'm Eddie and let me tell you, it will be delight to work with you. Now lose the coat and shoes and come in, both of you."

Vera managed an approximation of a smile before she did as Eddie said and followed her and Nina to her atelier. And she was amazed. It was spacy with four different tables, two of them having sewing machines on it. Pieces of textile and backlogs lying everywhere, needles and pins in pincushions, scissors, tape measures, ribbons, dummies... it was a mess. A very colourful mess.

Eddie returned to examining her. "Alright. So, Nina sent me your facebook profile, so I had a vague idea of your looks. She also told me about the shoes you're planning to wear and your attachment to your red dress, so I adjusted the drafts to that. I don't know what colour they were exactly, but I toned the clothing rather to cherry and scarlet than candy red, it will work better with your skin and hair. Ready to see them?" she babbled enthusiastically and Vera observed her carefully, trying to guess the right answer.

What was she even talking about? Cherry? Candy? What did she prepare for her? "Sure. Whatever you want me to do," she said in a resigned voice.

Eddie frowned. "Aw. Why so sadly? Be excited! Come here." She gestured to her, Nina shoving Vera lightly from behind, so she obeyed and approached the table Eddie was standing by, putting away few papers.

Seeing what was on it, Vera gasped. There were seven pictures with different miniature dresses, pieces of fabric glued to sketch figures, looking approximately like Vera. Seven different designs and three others put away – probably the ones ruled out by the tailor after seeing Vera in person. She couldn't believe it.

"What the hell?" she squeaked, not caring it was rude. She observed the drawings in awe, tracing fingers over them carefully. How did she manage that? Had she already worked on something by the time Nina let her know? They had decided yesterday afternoon!

"Meh. I got excited," Eddie replied unimpressed and Vera felt Nina approaching them from behind, so she could see the drafts too. She didn't comment on them.

"So? Any ideas? Nina said you're a dancer and there is no need to wear gowns, so I didn't even bothered with long dresses except these two with a slit. Like anything in particular?" Eddie asked her, giving her time to inspect all of them.

Vera stared at it. They were all beautiful. It was impossible to decide. She put away the long dress with long slit and very, very deep v-neck though. If she wore those, her cheeks would be the same colour as the dress.

"Not this one," Eddie guessed and Vera shook her head lightly, eyeing her, worried she insulted her somehow. But she just nodded. "I thought so." She placed the paper on the top of the other three.

Vera ruled out three others – a short one with red (scarlet) glitters all over its top part, because they felt like dress she would wear for a high school prom and another two with heart-shaped neckline covered in lace, since she had tried that kind of neckline before and it didn't look as good on her as on the hanger. One of them was simply short and the second one was front-short and longer-back.

The tailor hummed in agreement. It left Vera with three dresses – short one, long one and combined again. They were all very different – now it really felt like an impossible choice to make. Not mentioning she didn't even consider the price of any of these.

Vera looked at Nina desperately. "Nina? A little help, please? What do you think?"

Nina, who had been watching her choices attentively, immediately pointed at the long one. "These? Out. They are lovely and you would be a babe, but it is too suggestive. Doesn't feel like you," she exclaimed with confidence and Vera thought about her words. Nina was right. Vera put the design away too.

Vera loved the remaining two. She always had a thing for a boat-neck, imagining she might wear it on her wedding day if she ever got lucky to get married. The dress was short, with delicate flowers on the edges, on the front and few on the slightly fluffy skirt too, ribbon around the waist.

The other one was really dark red, reminding her of blood, strapless, flowing skirt with several layers made of thin translucent fabric, front -short and back-long, stripe with jewels in silver and red wine colour around the waist too.

Vera closed her eyes, imagining herself wearing the dresses. It was hard. She saw nothing but blackness. It reminded her of Matt - he wouldn't be able to see her as in see her in the dress. He would hear the fabric shifting on her body, feeling it with his fingers. She peaked in the direction of the two remaining drafts, touching them at the same time, closing her eyes again.

Nina gasped when she realized what she was doing.

The choice was a little easier after that. She put away the boat-neck and looked at the women. "This one, maybe?"

Nina's lips spread in wide smile as she nodded and Eddie grinned once more.

"I wouldn't pick up it better, sweetheart. This one was my favourite ever since the moment you walked through that door."

-----Notes:

Yeah, we bake a lot before Christmas. And I hate marshmallows, sue me. So really – hot chocolate with marshmallows?

Also, I'm well aware literally nothing happened in this chapter and it was scarily girly.

P.S. – The Incredibles are far from my favourite, but Edna :D I think she would like the Devil's outfit – no cape O:-)

Dress ruled out in order:
https://i.pinimg.com/236x/24/43/1c/24431ce5dd988e4749b5cbd3979a29b6--split-prom-dresses-modest-prom-dresses.jpg
http://womandmore.com/assests/images/prom-dresses-red-and-black-naf-dresses.jpg
https://img.simplydresses.com/_img/SDPRODUCTS/1425020/320/burgundy-dress-PO-7214-a.jpg
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1e.OdOFXXXXafaXXXq6xXFXXX4/Lace-Cap-Sleeve-Dark-font-b-Red-b-font-Prom-font-b-Dress-b-font-Illusion.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/8d/e8/86/8de88674679aa026e642ae2215f207f4--prom-dresses--red-cheap-prom-dresses-under--long.jpg
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB124xJSpXXXXXCXVXXq6xXFXXXu/PotN-Patio-Sexy-Boat-Neck-font-b-Short-b-font-font-b-Prom-b-font-font.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c9/3a/a5/c93aa5ac1ad34534730142b1168852f5--short-evening-dresses-red-evening-dresses.jpg

Titlefrom Rhodes - Run    

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.8K 294 14
―❝ Still getting used to nervous 'cause I'm never getting used to your perfect.❞ OR ―❝ stick finds himself falling in love with his best friend and i...
3.6K 180 10
You and Matthew Murdock hated each other. You guys used to be friends, but a sudden rupture formed between the two of you, causing broken hearts and...
Love On Fire By a

Fanfiction

225K 9.2K 75
"I mean seriously, Matt, you can smell when I walk into a room, hear my heart every time I lie! For fucks sake, you can taste blood in the fucking ai...
1K 41 2
In which Oliver is kind of an egotistical D until he's not, Foggy is a D as well (with a reason though), Diggle is being a father despite not having...