Damned If I Do *Matt Murdock*...

By Anika_Ann_M

Dropping out of college after two years and an unpleasant break-up, Vera needs a change - so when she gets an... More

Dear reader,
Author's notes
Playlist...kind of
Prologue
1) Home, keep hold on my heart (when I try to run away)
2) Looking for heaven (find yourself in Hell instead)
3) Just like the weather (can't hold her together)
Daily dose of cuteness (Matt)
4) (When food is gone...) You are my daily meal
5) I don't wanna talk about it (I don't wanna listen all that much)
6) Heaven help me...
Stalker extraordinaire (Matt)
7) ...I need to make it right
8) So long and lost (Are you missing me?)
9) Remember the fine night there...
10) ...didn't I show I cared?
11) I've been sleepless at night ('cause now I know how I feel)
12) I never knew (...daylight could be so violent)
('Cause it's burning ) In the bloodline (Terri)
14) (Disappearing) In a plain sight
15) What if love is a feeling (...to believe in?)
16) You thought it might disguise...
17) ...The parting line
18) I'm not the same anymore...
19) ...maybe we've come too far
A tribute to your glory (Sergei)
20) (Revelation) In the light of day
21) You can't choose what stays...
22) ...and what fades away
Of Richards, slaps and religious issues (Tony Stark)
23) I'm not giving up...
24) ...I'm just giving in
25) I feel so much better now...
... do you feel like you feel alive? (Epilogue - snapshots)
Coda added
Sidefic posted
Late bonus: The Heart Is Hard To Translate (It Has a Language Of Its Own)
Sequel - book two of Damned

13) I will hold on (...and never let go)

5.8K 184 145
By Anika_Ann_M

It was too hot. Vera grumbled and wanted to kick the covers off – except there were none. The heat was radiating from behind. From something warm, solid and very human. Now moving.

Matt. He stayed.

His arm pulled her closer, his breathing tickling on her neck. He placed a kiss here; it tickled even more and she chuckled. She could almost hear his mischievous smile, when he did it again. And again. She tried to escape his lips without success – his grip was firm. The tickling was annoying, yet she felt the warmest feeling bubbling in her chest and she laughed out loud.

"Morning," he mumbled to her shoulder, where he buried his head after finishing his mission of kisses. His voice was husky with sleep, sending shivers down her spine – it reminded her of his vigilante voice, when being gentle with her. She smiled widely.

"Morning," Vera replied and he raised his head, loosening his embrace, sensing she wanted to roll over to face him. She did. His face was close enough for her to see it clearly – he seemed rested. She met his whiskey-coloured eyes and felt her smile widening. "Slept well?"

Matt smiled back. "Yeah."

His breath lightly blew in her face. Scanning her memories, she remembered all of his senses were enhanced. It wasn't wise to face him in the morning. She lowered her head a little, looking at him from underneath her eyelashes. She could see him frown.

"You okay?" he asked, unsure.

Right. Her heartbeat probably spiked. Dammit! "Yeah. It's nothing." And it probably did again. Busted.

His hand was suddenly under her chin and she had to level her face to his. His eyes were unfocused but examining her. Probing. She stopped breathing for his sake. His frown deepened. Vera fought the urge to huff; it would have the same effect as exhaling.

Vera carefully kissed the wrinkle on his forehead created by his effort to solve the puzzle. It didn't disappear. She did huff over his head.

"Morning breath," she admitted and waited for his reaction.

"Oh. Sorry."

"No! No. I mean... I don't care. But you. Your senses. It has to be like hundred times wor-" she couldn't continue, because her lips were suddenly very busy by answering his tender kiss, which ended too soon.

"I don't mind," Matt whispered and pecked her on the lips again.

Liar. Must have been a nightmare.

"Right," she mumbled and rolled over to her back. His hand stopped her, catching her elbow. She turned her head back to him.

"You don't believe me," he exclaimed, voice wounded as much as his face.

Then his expression cleared and mischievous smile appeared instead. Vera knew her eyes went wide and her heart freaked out. He planned on doing something and she might not like it.

Vera wanted to escape, but the moment she decided to make a move, he was hovering above her, knees framing her thighs, palms on the sides of her head. This was the Devil she was facing. She had never stood a chance. Her heart was fighting its way out of her chest, fear mixing with excitement. She felt like a prey being cornered by a predator – she was trapped and he was watching her with hungry eyes, hypnotizing, so she couldn't tear her gaze away. He was dangerous. Mysterious. Hot.

"Matt," she squeaked and gulped as he bended down, closing the distance between them, "don't."

Despite what she said, every molecule in her body screamed do and he knew that. Malicious, smug grin. Shifting his body, he lowered to his elbows, stopping his lips an inch from hers, touching them when he spoke.

"Do you believe me, now?" he asked, voice low, hoarse, devilish. Her body cried from the tingling his tone sent through it. She couldn't fight the tremble. His body, his freaking naked chest was now so close she couldn't breathe. "Do you?" he whispered to her mouth again, demanding an answer.

Vera closed her eyes. She didn't attempt to provoke him – she simply didn't lie. "No."

She could tell he was waiting for the jump, fastening, anything. It never came.

He growled, a scary sound in the back of his throat, and he attacked her. One of his hands pinned her shoulder to the mattress, the other caught her throat – too careful so it didn't suffocate her. His mouth wedged into hers, opening it easily as she didn't fight it. Matt sucked her lips, bit her. She let out a moan of pleasure as he did so and he repeated it multiple times. His tongue was probing her mouth and she was weakly answering his lunges, forgetting why hadn't she wanted to do so.

Her hand shot up to his shoulders, sliding under his unzipped hoodie, tracing his skin there. His muscles danced under her touch as he was moving and she had to grasp the god's creation. Oh, that body. She managed to move her hand to his pectorals, going over it, thrilling sensation on her fingertips. Matt's hand moved from her throat sliding along her silhouette, stopping at the hem of her t-shirt, hesitating for the first time.

Don't you dare to stop now.

She nibbled at his lower lip to encourage him. He slipped under it, fingertips tracing her belly. Vera gasped into his mouth as he drew a line on the skin of her lower abdomen. She let his thigh wedge between hers. Her body was on fire and she knew there was only one way of putting it out. And the idea made her toes curl in pleasure, letting out another moan, arching her body against his. Matt gripped her hip at that sound or touch, strong enough to bruise. She loved the indication of him losing control too, of her not being the only one who was consumed by own arousal. She buried her hand into his hair, pulling him as close as possible, keeping him on place in case he changed his mind.

The growl again, mixed with whine of pure desperation. One more attack, followed by kisses. Hand pinning her shoulder sliding to the mattress just like the one on her hip. She didn't let go his shoulder and hair. No.

"Don't. No. Matthew."

It was her turn to make a nonhuman sound, because WHY did he stop?

He was panting, resting his forehead against hers, eyes shut, his face in a painful grimace. Vera was frustrated. Desperate. She didn't understand. "Why? Did I... did I do anything..."

Did I do anything wrong?

His eyes snapped open. "You. You did everything I could possibly want," he breathed out, sounding exhausted. Her gaze was flickering around his face, looking for any signs of a lie. She didn't found any. She was coming to conclusion though that it wasn't a mask of pain he wore. It was helplessness.

"Then what's wrong?"

He winced at the tone of her voice. Supporting himself on one elbow next to her head, his expression cleared, soft smile playing on his swollen red lips. He fondled her nose with hers. "You're wonderful. You're gorgeous and you're driving me crazy." His voice was serious, emphasizing each word as if he wanted to carve them in her memory. She felt the but coming. It came. "But there is someone at the door and she's about to knock in few seconds."

Vera froze, justified anger rising in her. "I swear I am going to murder-"

"It's not your friend from café. She's older... and she brought pie." He freed Vera from under his body and landed next to her with a muffled thud.

Not Terri. Older. Pie. Saturday morning. Now who that could be.

"Doprčic, doprčic, doprčic." Vera fought the tangled covers in attempt to liberate herself. She heard the knock. "Gimme the hoodie," she hissed at Matt and he raised his head in surprise. She finally got out. "Matt!" He stripped it in one fluid motion and she really wanted to spend precious seconds, minutes, hours admiring the visible part of his upper body, but she didn't have it. And her glasses were in the bathroom on the top of that. She took it from him, put it on, not bothering to zip it, just wrapping it up around her pyjama. She sprung to the bathroom for glasses, hearing another knock.

"Coming!" she yelled at the direction of the door, finally reaching it, presentable; in a hoodie and being able to see. She smothered her hair a little, putting on her best I-just-woke-up expression. She opened the door.

It was Nina. And she looked confused, eyeing Vera's outfit.

"Nina. Hi. I'm sorry it took so long... is that a pie?" Vera blurted out, pretending to be shocked and awed. She was a terrible, terrible actress. Damn you, Matthew Michael Murdock and your delicate senses!

Nina blinked and shook her head like chasing away some thought. "Yes. Yes. Are you okay?"

Vera was leaning onto door, hiding as much of her apartment as possible, because their drying clothes were spread everywhere. Matt's shoes were kicked behind the door and his coat was hanging at the stand just three steps from her amazing neighbour, friend and aunt in one person.

"Yes. Yeah I just... I was out last night, stayed up late, some as— some driver was vengeful and the flat is a mess, cause I'm drying my clothes everywhere and I literally just got out of bed, so..." she managed an actual yawn, almost forgetting to cover her mouth.

Nina's expression changed and she gave her a sympathetic smile. "I'm sorry I woke you up. I baked and thought you might appreciate a piece. I can handle seeing a mess, but I can see it would make you uncomfortable." So very, very uncomfortable. "So, here. Enjoy."

Oh, Nina. "You are the most saint person in Hell's Kitchen, Nina, I swear. You're amazing. I have to find a way to repay you for everything."

She waved it off. "Hush. Go back to bed." I will. "And don't be a stranger."

"Thank you. Thank you."

Nina smiled at her once more, spun on her hells and left. Vera closed the door with a relieved sigh.

"She's nice," said a voice behind her and Vera yelped, her hand shooting to her chest. She dropped the piece of pie - luckily Matt had quick reflexes.

"Ježiši Kriste! Get yourself a bell!"

"Blasphemy. Also, where's the fun in that?" Matt grinned innocently, standing one step from her, the pie in his hand, her sweatpants on and no top. Perfection. With bandage and scars (she would ask him about them – just not today). Still perfection.

She frowned at him and passed him to walk to the kitchen. He followed her like a dog loyal to his master, placing the pie on the kitchen counter. He boarded her with his arms as she reached for the kettle.

"Put it down, please," he asked her in patient, polite voice.

She did. "Why?" She didn't turn around to face him.

"Turn around."

She did, raising her chin in a challenging gesture. "Why?"

He leaned into her and gave her a deep sweet kiss. "So I could kiss you, silly. Do you believe me, now?"

Vera bit her swollen lip, still feeling Matt's hands on her body. "Yeah. I do. You can be quite persuasive when you try hard enough," she teased and his lips touched her ear, biting the earlobe gingerly.

"Oh, you've seen nothing yet."

---

They were sitting at the table, both with their finished piece of pie (which was delicious and passed even Matt's taste test), cups of tea in their hands (sorry, no coffee). Also, shame, Matt was now wearing the hoodie again, Vera taking her own.

"Vera, I can feel you're staring."

"No, you can't," she protested, but didn't stop hypnotizing him.

"No. I can't. But you want to ask something. You're breathing changed like four times, and you've always swallowed it. What is it?"

Show-off. "Okay. Fine. You asked for it. Did you really sleep well? Wasn't my breathing disturbing? Is my mattress okay? The sheets? Do you mind my softener? The hoodie?" she shot all the questions that appeared in her mind, new popping shortly after asking another.

Matt laughed. "Okay, in order. Yes. No, it's actually calming. Yes. Pretty much. No. Also, I like the hoodie, it's very soft and I loved that it wasn't freshly washed-up, because it smelled like you. Anything else?"

Vera felt her embarrassment colour her cheeks – of course he would notice she had worn it. There was another burning question - she was too afraid to ask it, because she didn't want to get him angry. "No. We're good."

He sighed. "Vera."

"You don't have to answer. But the pain... you said it is more intense. But when... the whole time...you're acting like you ribs are okay. You carried me to the bed. Earlier, you came to the gym few days after being shot. And... it has to be like this all the time. You're always getting hurt."

He wanted to object and she realized it sounded like he was getting his ass handed to him and not the other way around. She had to correct that mistake. "I mean. Your-" ninja "-fighting skills are obviously superior, but they have knives. Baseball bats. Guns." She shivered at the memory of the gun at her head.

Matt seemed thoughtful. Her best guess was he wondered what he could (wanted to) tell her and how he would explain something she could barely imagine. "Hm. I meditate," was all he said at the end.

"You meditate," she parroted sceptically.

He seemed offended by her scepticism. "Yes. It takes years of training. To do it right. But it does help me to heal. To reduce the pain too. It's my mind what controls my body."

Oh. That was unexpected. Vera tried to imagine being able to control her body on such level it would handle such an unbearable pain as cracked ribs (she would know) or a gunshot wound (she had no idea and had no desire to know). It was impossible.

"That's... a) awfully depressing, because your mind gets literally no rest and b) unimaginable. It's... wow. Huh."

His eyebrows shot up. "You believe me," he sounded surprised.

Vera shrugged. "Yeah. I mean, you're a blind guy – no offence – who can knock out a bad guy with hitting him in the head with precisely aimed stick from an immeasurable distance, you can probably do like quadruple flip or triple somersault and land on your hand, you can smell pie through walls - during a make-out session no less, which is kinda rude by the way, because it's polite to pay attention to the person you're lying on the top of –, you can hear people's heartbeats, you know when they want to speak and most likely you hear people talking a block, no, five blocks away. Maybe you can even tell where this tea was produced, packed and bought. Somehow, you can tell person's injuries without looking at him, touching it or using an x-ray or MRI. So yeah, if you use meditation to turn off your pain or whatever, it actually doesn't surprise me. Like at all," she finished and was shocked by her outburst. She covered her mouth with her hand when she ran over all she said.

Matt was staring at her. There was no better way to describe it. He was glaring at her, face giving away his own astonishment. He opened and closed his mouth few times without sound going out. "Oh."

Yeah. Oh. "Forget I asked, would you? And more importantly, forget what I just said. Erase like the past two minutes."

"Yeaaah, that's not gonna happen. And don't be ridiculous. I never land on my hand, I don't do circus stuff." He honestly made a come-on-don't-be-stupid grimace. And that was all he denied.

Vera shot him an incredulous look. "Seriously? That's the only thing that you find weird about it?"

"About what?" he asked, looking absolutely baffled.

"About what I just said!"

"And what did you just say?" His expression was pure innocence and confusion. He was giving the impression of a child being chewed for something he didn't even know about.

What she just— she gaped at him. That motherf-

"You— you-." She scanned her surroundings for something she could fling at him, at this incredible agitator, teaser, who irritated her- "I can't believe you!"

Vera couldn't find anything better. She grabbed the spoon she ate the pie with and lashed it, aiming at his face. He caught it, of course.

"Did you just try to kill me with a tea spoon?"

"Yes!"

"You threw something on a poor blind guy!" He was gaping at her, scandalized.

"Houby! On a freaking blind ninja," she muttered under breath and he burst out laughing, throwing his head back.

"That what you think I am?" Matt was laughing with his whole body, tears appearing in his eyes.

"I hate you." He didn't stop. "No, I'm serious. I hate you so much right now," she grumbled, tidying up after their brunch since it was around ten a.m. His hand caught her forearm.

"Come here." His body was still shaking, but he was trying to stop. Mind controls the body, yeah, I can see that. Liar. Vera didn't resist when he gently pulled her in his lap and placed a kiss on her temple. "It's too bad you hate me, you know. Because I can't seem to keep my hands off you. You're stuck with me."

Her heart fluttered at his words and she was no longer pouting her lips. "I'll take your word for it."

"Good. I'll intend to keep it." They sat in silence for a moment. "You wouldn't happen to have a spare toothbrush, would you?"

---

Matt used the shower first, leaving around half past ten. His shoes were still wet since Vera forgot to dry them, but he didn't complain. He kissed her goodbye and waited for the right moment to walk out of the door so no one would see him. He claimed he had to protect her honour (especially since nothing had happened last night, at least anything what people would assume it had). Vera thought it was sweet.

She took a shower too, washing her hair. She had an afternoon shift at MDDC, so she got ready, ate light lunch, cleaned up and went to work. Terri texted her earlier that she didn't even expected a text, so that was okay. But she wanted details. Vera was glad she had an excuse – her shift –, so she was safe for now. It was clear she wouldn't escape an interrogation later though.

Work was fun. Lyla and Michelle were in, chatting about anything that came to their mind and there were no crowds, because Saturday. Vera was on the cloud number nine whole day, drawing smiley faces on cups to go, people giving her extra tips – truth to be told, she probably never made coffee with such enthusiasm like that day. She was smitten. She was in love.

---

Terri called her in the evening, right after Vera announced her home arrival, her impatience palpable.

"How was it?" she blurted to the phone instead of a greeting. Vera would smile, but her lips were involuntary smiling whole day and hadn't stopped just yet.

"Perfect. Fucking perfect," was all she said.

"Huh. Okay. Care to elaborate?"

"I can try," she teased her, smile growing wider at the idea of her friend's expression.

"So?" Terri encouraged her and Vera could practically see her gesturing, go on.

"So what?"

"Stop the Pink references and tell me everything!"

Vera was high. She had to be. She gave her friend a maniac laugh. "I will. Just give me a reason."

"Oh BLOW ME, Vera!" she yelled at her through the speaker and Vera burst out again. It was hilarious.

"Seriously? Blow me? One last kiss?"

"Oh my god... you know what? Be like this. I'll hire spies and they will follow your every move so I don't have to deal with this."

Vera sighed. "I don't know what you want to hear." She ignored the everything her friend murmured. "It was a dinner. He picked me up, we went to a nice mexican restaurant, because I mentioned I never had mexican before, we had a good time and he walked me home in a rain..."

"Aaaand?"

"And he was absolutely sweet, real gentleman. Except he refused to sing in the rain," she tried to get her friend off track. There was no way Vera would tell her she invited him upstairs, they only talked and he stayed the night without Terri thinking she's full of it and keeping details for herself.

Terri chuckled. "I can't imagine why. Did you?"

"Did I what?"

"Sang in the rain?" she asked as if Vera was stupid. 1:0 for Vera's distractions skills.

"No, I did not. He would run away and people would think I am actually crying for help."

"Yeaaah. And your other boyfriend would show up to save you."

Vera frowned, the smile leaving her face for the first time that day. She couldn't shake off the feeling Terri was talking about Matt. Well, Mike. "What other boyfriend?"

"Huh. You have more than one other boyfriend? You really are a slay dog, my dear," she exclaimed, mocking her. "The Devil. He's practically your boyfriend."

"He's not." Except he kinda was, but Terri didn't know that.

Terri huffed, annoyed. "Sometimes I forget how oblivious you are. Vera, he saved you, three times. Do you have any idea how lucky you are?"

Oh yeah, she knew. "Yeah. I mean, he's a hero and I'm a trouble magnet. That doesn't mean he's my boyfriend. I'm just a damsel in distress. Barely a damsel. Saving people is what he does."

"Three times, Vera. Three times. I'm telling you, he has a crush on you. Like Czechia-sized crush."

"The fact you looked up the size of my homeland warms my heart," Vera proclaimed sarcastically, thinking of how to find a way out of this mess.

"Sure. It's pathetic, by the way. And deny it however you want, it doesn't change the facts. Also, you are a fucking liar who lies, because there is something important you didn't tell me about your date last night and I will squeeze you once we have a shift together. For now, I have to settle with squeezing Victor. Have a great night, Mechy." And she hung up.

Vera was sitting at her bed with a deaf phone on her ear for several minutes.

What just happened? She was so in trouble. Too bad she was only going to deal with it later. Today, she was in heaven.

-----Notes:
Vocabulary:
Doprčič. – Dammit.
Houby.
– Bullshit. (but an alternative version, harmless ;) Something like... Oh, please... (it actually means mushrooms, it's close to our translation of Shit))

The size of Czechia is 78 866 km² with population about 10 500 000. (Stop laughing, would you?)

Alternative chapter title – fluffiest fluff to ever fluff no.2.

Also, important intermezzo coming right up.

Title from Rhodes – Close your eyes

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

243 11 7
You were a woman who has very few people in your life. You have no real friends and only have your brother and aunt. You don't even have a pet for co...
170K 10K 53
ห–โ‹†เฟเป‹โ‚Š๐•ฟ๐–”๐–”๐–™๐– & ๐•ฎ๐–‘๐–†๐–œ TOOTH & CLAW. (e.) to engage in vigorous combat or make a strenuous effort, using all o...
Love On Fire By a

Fanfiction

225K 9.2K 75
"I mean seriously, Matt, you can smell when I walk into a room, hear my heart every time I lie! For fucks sake, you can taste blood in the fucking ai...
41K 852 24
Vera Mitchell is no stranger to heartbreak, pain and devastation. Her family died in a tragic fire when she was a little girl, and it doomed her to a...