Broken Marilyns

By serenadorman

Jenna Pierce can't seem to avoid tragedy. Beginning with the murder of her young brother Charlie, Jenna seems... More

INCHOATION
LULL-A-BYE
SEVENTEEN YEARS LATER
I'M COMING HOME
A NEW CHAPTER
GEEZ LOUISE
MY GIRL
THE GENTLEMAN
LION EYES
JOHN DOE
HELPING HAND
ANONYMOUS
LIPSTICK
THE MARILYNS
A FAVOR
AIMLESS
S + J
WHAT LIES BELOW
WHAT OF TONIGHT?
CIRCLES
BAD BLOOD
ADORATION
FOOLING AROUND
WRONG NUMBER
BREAKTHROUGH
CASTAWAYS
LOST AND FOUND
HEIRLOOM
STRANGE NOISES
SECOND CHANCE
WHO'S THERE?
MURDER, SHE WROTE
THE HARROWING TREE
TWO WEEKS LATER

DEPARTURE

15 0 2
By serenadorman

DEPARTURE

I jolted awake to a melodic voice over the intercom in the air terminal.  It was time to board the flight.  I sat and waited until the very last minute; I don’t want to be on this plane for this reason.  Beside me, a man dressed in light beige desert camo clutched a girl and her nails dug into him as if she could prevent the inevitability of life.

Soaring through the sky, I watched as the plane skimmed just above the clouds.  We look up here from the ground because this is where we envision God being.  I saw nothing.

I’m looking up at the sky and the clouds begin to take on horrifying shapes.  I try to breathe but the air is stale.  All around me is death in a sepia background.  Dead fallen trees and dry, unfertile ground.  I try to walk but my legs are heavy so I’m forced to crawl through rotting grass until I’m at the door of a rusty metal shed.  I close my eyes and try to calm my breathing.  Struggling to stand, I lift myself up with the latch.  I lift the latch but it breaks.  Inside I hear Charlie screaming out in pain.  I try to bang on the door but each attempt is sluggish - my arms numb and heavy.  Charlie’s screams grow louder, louder, louder….

“Ma’am,” a stewardess gently pats my shoulder, “you’ve reached your destination.”

*          *          *          *

Staring at myself in the mirror of my mother’s bathroom, I tried but failed at keeping my eyes away from the tub.  It didn’t feel real, not even after I’d picked out her casket, flowers, and pre-written poem that would be printed on fancy paper only to be tossed after the ceremony.  I broke my gaze from the tub and donned myself in black.

“Ashes to ashes, dust to dust…today we remember the life of Bianca Pierce, mother, daughter, friend-.”  I try to stay in the present but find myself drifting into the past while the sun plays in the trees, moving slivers of light across my face.  Seventeen years ago, I stood just a few plots away from here to bury Charlie.  I had my mom then.  Today I had no one, just a crowd of shallow smiles and eyes that didn’t know whether to maintain contact with mine, stay fixed on the ground, or dart around awkwardly.  Today I buried another piece of my heart away in soil where rotting things sleep.

Sitting in the quiet of my mother’s house, I swallowed the last gulp of wine from the bottle and analyzed her death.  A flurry of what-if’s dizzied my brain.  What if I would have answered her phone call, what if I’d stayed in Aldbrook, what if I had found Charlie in time?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5 0 7
This is about Mia looking for her dad and brother who's gone missing whilst investigating a supernatural case. Read more to find out if mia finds her...
Amber By Candace Conrad

Mystery / Thriller

61 1 16
Amber and her younger twin sisters live a pretty tragic childhood. On Amber's 6th birthday, she has an accident and ends up in the hospital, where th...
1.1K 68 47
After the disappearance of Alexandria's older sister, Victoria, the family is torn apart. Alexandria isn't convinced that sister just left without a...
1.3K 8 20
Jenifer Lee Andrews, or “Jenna” finds herself in the middle of a police investigation when one of her classmates disappears. He just—poof—vanishes ou...