The Set Up

By PiEaters

I walked into the fancy restaurant looking for my date. I skimmed through the different people in their tux a... More

The Set Up
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4

Chapter 3

26 3 1
By PiEaters

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing. I looked at my clock and it was seven in the morning. Taking it from my nightstand, I rubbed my eyes to clear my vision then looked at the caller ID. Mom. It flashed on the screen. I press the answer button and put the smartphone against my ear.

“You interrupted my beauty sleep,” I spoke, in a raspy voice.

“Good,” my mom said. What did I ever do to you ma? I mentally groaned. “I called you for a reason actually,” she continued.

“Ok…so tell me then,” I demanded. I just want to go back to sleep. Who calls someone at seven in the morning?

“We’re going to have a family dinner next week,” she said.

“Okay, and is that all you have to say?” I asked.

“Yes, sweetheart,” she replied. After a few more minutes of talking to my mother, we bid our goodbyes. No point in going back to sleep now. I got up to get ready for literature at nine in the morning.

*

I repeatedly tapped my pencil against the wooden desk. The time was passing by slower than usual.

“Advertising is an important concept in marketing,” Professor Kingston said to the one hundred students in the classroom.

For the next 2 hours I was scribbling down notes into my notebook.

“That’s all for today, and for your final project of the semester, you will write a report. It is due on Wednesday, next week.”

Everyone got up from their seats and rushed out the door. As soon as I was out of the classroom, I went towards the cafe located on campus. Once I was in the cafe, I walked towards the cashier.

“Hello, what would you like today?” the girl at the counter said.

“I would like a medium French vanilla latte,” I smiled and took my wallet out from my bag.

“Is that all?”

“Yes,” I nodded.

“That would be $2.75,” the cashier flashed a smile. I pulled out a five dollar bill and handed it to her. Then a few seconds later, she gave me the change and informed me to wait for a couple of minutes.

“One medium French latte,” someone called out. Then I walked forward and towards the cup of latte. As I was reaching out to take hold of it, someone already beat me to it. I glance up at the person. My heart almost stopped for a second.

“Sorry,” I said as I pulled my hand away and looked down at my black converse.

“It’s okay,” he said with his rich husky voice. I could feel my heart pounding fast against my chest. I glance up and met his gaze, his beautiful. Feeling his stare on me, I felt my cheeks heat up. It was the same guy from the restaurant.

“One medium French latte,” the barista said to the people standing by the pick-up station.

I made my way to the counter. Taking the latte in my hand, I took a sip. “Ouch,” I silently cursed and started walking to the exit.

“You should be a bit more careful,” someone said behind me. I turned around seeing the owner of that rich deep voice, which makes my heart race faster and it already is. Heat rose up to my cheeks once again.

“Thank you,” I said and quickly rushed out the café.

*

I started my steps towards my car, parked by the entrance. Taking a set of keys out, I unlocked my car. I got onto the driver’s seat and was ready to start the engine until my phone rang, and started playing Breathe Again by Sara Bareilles. Rampaging through my bag, I finally found my ringing smartphone at the bottom of the bag. I slide my finger to the right, without looking at the caller ID and put it on speaker.

“Hello,” I said, while starting the engine.

“Claire,” my best friend started, “you have to come over tonight.”

“Why?” I asked. I wanted to get started on the final project.

“Well, if you come over you’ll know,” I could imagine her smirking through the phone.

“I’ll see,” I said and hung up. I checked the time on my phone before putting it back in my bag, 2:32, it showed.  I put my car in reverse and began my drive back home. Ten minutes later, I saw my house come into view. I pulled over onto my driveway and quickly got out of the car. I unlocked my door and hung my jacket onto the coat rack. When I reached my room, I collapsed onto my soft bed. Soon, I found myself drifting off to a peaceful slumber.

I giggled as he tickled my stomach.

“Stop,” I cried, and continued giggling.

“Not going to happen,” he smirked and planted a kiss on my lips. I kissed him back, wanting to stay in this position forever. “You’re so beautiful.” He whispered against my lips.

“What have I done to deserve you?” I laughed.

“Let’s pig out on hamburgers tonight,” he suggested, with a smile on his face.

“No wonder I love you, Jacob Smith,” I place my lips onto his soft ones again.

I opened my eyes and got out of the bed. I looked over at the clock, 5:45. Deciding to take a shower, I walked to my bathroom and started to undress. I stepped into the shower and turned the water on. Letting the water spray, I thought of the flashback of Jacob, my ex-boyfriend. Suddenly pain erupted in my chest. Why did he cheat on me?

*

Taking a left turn, I saw Ally’s house come into view. Parking my car at the curb, I killed the engine and walked to her front door. I pressed the doorbell and waited for a couple seconds until it was open.

“Hey,” I smiled and invited myself in. I walked into her living room and sat on the black leather couch.

“How are you doing?”

“So…” I started, changing the subject, “why did you invite me over?”

“Well, I was wondering if you want to go clubbing tonight,” she took a seat next to me.

“No,” I bluntly said.

“You got to loosen up from time to time,” she argued.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah,” I turned on her flat screen TV.

“I taking you clubbing tonight no matter what you say or do,” she grabbed the remote control from my grasp.

“Fine,” I groaned.

For the next hour, Ally made me wear her black tube dress, which went down to mid-thigh. I can’t believe I’m doing this! Having my back turned to the mirror, Ally was working her ‘magic’, her words not mine. Sitting on the uncomfortable stool for the next forty-five minutes was torture.

“I’m done,” she squealed and turned me around. I looked at the displayed image on the mirror. My hair was curled, and I had to admit that I looked good with smoky eyes. Tearing my eyes away from the mirror, I glance at Ally, she was busy getting ready. My gaze then turned to the clock hung above the bed. 7:10.

“Let’s grab a bite before we go,” I suggested.

“Sure,” she nodded and continued curling her eyelashes and applying mascara. I then made my way downstairs to her kitchen and pulled out a bag of Ruffles from her cupboard. Opening the big bag of chip, I started munching and nibbling the crispy goodness. Hope this eases some of my hunger. Taking the remote from the coffee table, I turned on the TV and started surfing through the channels. Finally, finding an entertaining channel, I sat there watching it while waiting for my best friend.

“Let’s go,” Ally descends from the stairs wearing her sparkly purple dress, and walked towards her front door. I stood up from the leather couch, and place the remote and the bag of chips on the coffee table.   

We both got into her car and drove off to our favorite diner that was a few minutes away from the house. Arriving shortly, we climbed out of the vehicle and made our way inside the diner. There were only two vacant tables when we walked in. Deciding which table to sit at, we walked towards a booth by the window. Since us both knew what we wanted to order, we sat patiently for a waiter to take our order. We didn’t have to wait too long before a waiter came to our table.

“Good evening, what would you two lovely ladies like tonight?” the waiter smiled and took out his notepad.

“We would like two hamburgers with a side of fries,” Ally answered for the both of us.

“And one chocolate milkshake with another vanilla milkshake,” I added and the waiter scribbled down our orders and made his way to the kitchen.

We got our food shortly, and once the plate was place in front of us, we started to stuff our face with food.

I took the last sips of my drink before getting up to pay for my fair share of the meal.

*

The loud music was booming and the dance floor was filled with people dancing. I looked at Ally in the dimmed room and notice that she was not beside me anymore. Where did she go? And how can she leave me alone. I skimmed through the dimmed room with my eyes again. Until I noticed someone familiar .

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 62.5K 59
π’πœπžπ§π­ 𝐨𝐟 π‹π¨π―πžγ€’ππ² π₯𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐑𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐒𝐞𝐬 γ€ˆπ›π¨π¨π€ 1〉 π‘Άπ’‘π’‘π’π’”π’Šπ’•π’†π’” 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒇𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒄𝒕 ✰|| 𝑺𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒂 𝑴�...
1.4M 33.8K 46
When young Diovanna is framed for something she didn't do and is sent off to a "boarding school" she feels abandoned and betrayed. But one thing was...
2.6M 150K 48
"You all must have heard that a ray of light is definitely visible in the darkness which takes us towards light. But what if instead of light the dev...
736K 21.3K 23
Beau HATES Oliver Fowler. But Oliver doesn't hate Beau.. quite the opposite actually. Oliver is the univeristies 'Golden Boy', adored and admired by...