Chapter 3

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing. I looked at my clock and it was seven in the morning. Taking it from my nightstand, I rubbed my eyes to clear my vision then looked at the caller ID. Mom. It flashed on the screen. I press the answer button and put the smartphone against my ear.

“You interrupted my beauty sleep,” I spoke, in a raspy voice.

“Good,” my mom said. What did I ever do to you ma? I mentally groaned. “I called you for a reason actually,” she continued.

“Ok…so tell me then,” I demanded. I just want to go back to sleep. Who calls someone at seven in the morning?

“We’re going to have a family dinner next week,” she said.

“Okay, and is that all you have to say?” I asked.

“Yes, sweetheart,” she replied. After a few more minutes of talking to my mother, we bid our goodbyes. No point in going back to sleep now. I got up to get ready for literature at nine in the morning.

*

I repeatedly tapped my pencil against the wooden desk. The time was passing by slower than usual.

“Advertising is an important concept in marketing,” Professor Kingston said to the one hundred students in the classroom.

For the next 2 hours I was scribbling down notes into my notebook.

“That’s all for today, and for your final project of the semester, you will write a report. It is due on Wednesday, next week.”

Everyone got up from their seats and rushed out the door. As soon as I was out of the classroom, I went towards the cafe located on campus. Once I was in the cafe, I walked towards the cashier.

“Hello, what would you like today?” the girl at the counter said.

“I would like a medium French vanilla latte,” I smiled and took my wallet out from my bag.

“Is that all?”

“Yes,” I nodded.

“That would be $2.75,” the cashier flashed a smile. I pulled out a five dollar bill and handed it to her. Then a few seconds later, she gave me the change and informed me to wait for a couple of minutes.

“One medium French latte,” someone called out. Then I walked forward and towards the cup of latte. As I was reaching out to take hold of it, someone already beat me to it. I glance up at the person. My heart almost stopped for a second.

“Sorry,” I said as I pulled my hand away and looked down at my black converse.

“It’s okay,” he said with his rich husky voice. I could feel my heart pounding fast against my chest. I glance up and met his gaze, his beautiful. Feeling his stare on me, I felt my cheeks heat up. It was the same guy from the restaurant.

“One medium French latte,” the barista said to the people standing by the pick-up station.

I made my way to the counter. Taking the latte in my hand, I took a sip. “Ouch,” I silently cursed and started walking to the exit.

“You should be a bit more careful,” someone said behind me. I turned around seeing the owner of that rich deep voice, which makes my heart race faster and it already is. Heat rose up to my cheeks once again.

“Thank you,” I said and quickly rushed out the café.

*

I started my steps towards my car, parked by the entrance. Taking a set of keys out, I unlocked my car. I got onto the driver’s seat and was ready to start the engine until my phone rang, and started playing Breathe Again by Sara Bareilles. Rampaging through my bag, I finally found my ringing smartphone at the bottom of the bag. I slide my finger to the right, without looking at the caller ID and put it on speaker.