Love Outside the Box

By saradaniellauthor

She was everything I never knew I needed. He was everything I knew I should stay away from. More

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6
Episode 7
Episode 8
Episode 9
EPISODE 10
EPISODE 11
EPISODE 12
EPISODE 13
Episode 14
The Final Episode

EPISODE 15

67 0 0
By saradaniellauthor

Aaron

I was about to meet my half-brother and sister, and my stepdad. We pulled into a driveway to a beautiful two story home. My mother got out, and Austen started to as well, but I sat there frozen.

"Maybe we should have stayed in a hotel," I said so only Austen could hear.

"I can call and get us one."

I looked at my mother. My shoulders sagged. "Maybe in a little bit. We'll see how it goes." I got out of the car and helped Austen out. Once she was on her feet and had her crutches, I went to grab the bags. I stopped when a teen boy and a man came out to help me.

The younger guy smiled at me. "Are you Aaron?"

I nodded. "Yes, I am."

"I'm Joshua," he said with a smile that I couldn't help but return.

Austen was watching me closely. I knew the moment I told her I wanted to leave, she'd get me out of here.

"This is my girlfriend, Austen."

She adjusted the crutch under her right arm and held her hand out to him. "Hey."

He shook her hand. "It's nice to meet you."

"Let's go inside and get you two settled. I'm Peter. Your stepdad." The older man had a kind smile as he held his hand out to me. I shook it.

"It's nice to meet you."

We all headed inside and after helping Austen sit, I propped her leg on a pillow. I was so nervous my hands were shaking. I smiled a little as a little girl that looked like my mother came over to me. She grinned from ear-to-ear, revealing the most adorable gap between her teeth.

"I'm Madilyn. You must be Aaron." Before I could respond she launched herself at me, hugging me. It was a complete shock.

"It's nice to meet you, Madilyn." I didn't know what to do.

Austen laughed. "Looks like I have some competition," she teased.

"Madilyn you're making your brother uncomfortable. It'll take time for him to get to know us," mother said as she gently pulled Madilyn back from me.

I smiled at Austen before putting an arm around her shoulder. The next few hours were a mixture between amazing and awkward.

It took awhile before we all were able to talk without feeling awkward. I laughed as my younger brother told me some stories. He was a hilarious mess. My mother definitely had her hands full with that one.

"We should probably order something for dinner. What do you guys like?"

I looked at Austen. "What do you want?"

"I'm good with anything. I'm not picky." She smiled. I could tell she was nervous too.

"How about subs?" Madilyn asked with a smile towards us.

"Sounds good to me," I said as I smiled at her.

Everyone told Peter what they wanted, then Austen and I went up to the guest room to rest for a bit. I sat on the bed next to her.

"My life keeps getting weirder," I said as I closed my eyes.

She played with my hair. "I love you, Aaron."

"I love you, too, Austen."

"So, I'm your girlfriend again?" She smiled hopefully at me when I looked at her. She absentmindedly started playing with my mother's necklace that was around her neck.

"Yes, you are." I looked at her seriously. "If you want to be."

She shoved my shoulder playfully. "Shut up. Of course I do."

I laughed and wrapped my arms around her before laying down with her. I buried my face in her hair. "I love you, Princess."

"I love you, too. If we need to leave, just tell me."

"I will. I want to try, but it's really hard."

"You have a lot going on. That's understandable." She ran her fingers through my hair and kissed my forehead. "Thank you for giving me a second chance, Aaron." She smiled when my eyes met hers. "Really. I don't deserve you."

"I'm giving you a second chance, Austen. From this time on let's not talk about what happened or who doesn't deserve whom. I love you. That's what matters right now. Let's work on getting to know each other more and becoming stronger."

Her nose crinkled she was smiling so hard. She nodded and kissed me. I wrapped my hand gently in her hair and kissed her back with everything in me.

There was a knock at the door and then a giggle. Madilyn caught us kissing.

Austen sat up and laughed. She held her hand out to me to help me sit up. Austen motioned for her to come over and she climbed into the bed. She reminded me a little bit of Ellie.

"Can I call you bubby? That's what I call Joshua." She bounced a little. Before I could answer she looked at Austen. "Are you two gonna get married? Can I be the flower girl?"

Austen smiled and was about to say something when Madilyn spoke again.

"My favorite animal is a bunny. White ones, black ones, it doesn't matter. They are so fluffy and cute!" She touched the compass tattoo on my arm. "What is that?"

Austen was cracking up.

"It's one of my many tattoos." I chuckled. "And I like bunnies, too. You want to go to the pet store with me and pick one out. I want to get one and a puppy for Ellie."

"Who is Ellie?" She asked excitedly.

"She's my other sister. She's four. Once I get custody of her, you'll have to meet her." My heart tightened some. I missed my baby sister so much.

"Custody?"

I gave her a small smile. "Is there a pet shop around here?" I asked trying to change the subject.
She shrugged. "Mom hates animals. If there is one around here, she's never taken us."

I smiled mischievously at Austen. I guess our mother would have to get over it because Madilyn was getting a bunny.

_________________

Austen

There was something ridiculously sexy watching Aaron spoil Madilyn. He had the biggest heart, and I'd give the whole world to him if I could. Of course he spoiled Joshua just as much. The three had become inseparable the past few days. So much that I knew it would be hard on all of them once we left.

I looked at the box that had a little black and white rabbit inside. Aaron was carrying bags full of things for the rabbit, and Joshua was holding the cage.

"Mom is going to flip out, Maddi."

Madilyn smiled at her brother. "Me and Whiskers don't care. Do we, Whiskers," she said in a mushy tone to the rabbit in through the holes in the box.

Joshua chuckled and looked at Aaron. "Can we come visit you in Corpus Christi? I love the beach. The whole family does."

Aaron smiled and nodded. "Anytime. We'd love to have you."

I loved seeing Aaron smile like this. He deserved this so much, but I also knew he worried it was all just a dream, and he'd wake up and lose it all. He told me so last night before we fell asleep. He said he finally felt like he belonged in this world for once in his life.

We made it to Aaron's stepdad's truck. After getting everything in, Aaron put my crutches in the back and helped me in.

I smiled at Aaron as he drove toward his mom's house. I played with the necklace around my neck as I listened to Madilyn and Joshua talk about the rabbit. I reached over and held his free hand.

"What time's your flight tomorrow?" Joshua asked.

I turned so I could look at him. "Six in the evening."

He sighed in disappointment and nodded. He started talking to his sister again.

**

We had a great dinner grilling out with his family. His grandparents and cousins came over so they could all meet him. Aaron was on cloud nine, nervous, but enjoying every second of it. I snuck off so he could talk with his grandfather about past memories that Aaron had long forgotten.

I went into the kitchen to start putting away food so it didn't spoil. I leaned my crutches against the wall and for the first time since being in the stupid boot, I put a little pressure on it. To my surprise, it was tolerable.

I stopped mid-foil as I was covering a pan when I heard someone clear their throat. I looked up and smiled at Aaron's mom.

"Aren't you supposed to be using the crutches?"

I smiled. "Yes, ma'am. They are driving me insane, though. My arms hurt. I'll be fine."

Her eyes went to the necklace just like they had everyday since we had been here. I wanted to say something every time she looked, but I didn't know how to approach it.

She motioned her hand toward my neck. "I see Aaron put that old thing to use." She smiled sadly.

I touched it and smiled. "It's beautiful. If you want it back, you can have it. He thought... Well, you know."

She laughed. "Thought I was dead. Just like I thought he was." She shook her head. "You keep it. That was the first thing I had ever bought for myself without being scolded by his father for spending money. He was a tightwad unless it came to buying booze or a stripper." She came over and started helping me cover food.

"I'm going to be one of the overbearing crazy mother-in-laws," she chuckled.

"Oh, we're not-"

"You will be. I see the way he looks at you and the last time I saw that look, he was six-years-old, and I was dropping him off at Kindergarten. He looked at me like I was the only thing that mattered in the entire world. He held so tightly to my hand and asked me to go with him."

I blushed and put the lid on a jar of Mayonnaise.

"I've missed out on so many years of his life. I won't anymore."

"I hope you don't. He's amazing."

We stopped talking when Aaron walked in.

He looked at us oddly. "What?"

We both started laughing.

My phone started ringing from my purse on the counter. "Baby, can you..." I stopped. I called him baby. I smiled and cleared my throat. "Can you get my phone, please?"

I really had crossed over to the other side. I didn't give guys pet names. Ever.

He grinned at me and grabbed my phone. He brought it over to me.

He kissed me and smiled against my lips. "I love you." He stood up straight again before walking over to his mom. He pulled the locket out of his pocket and handed it to her. He carried it with him everywhere.

"I saved this. I know it was a family heirloom." He gently turned her hand over and put it in it. "I'm afraid the rest of your jewelry I sold. I was trying to get money together to pay the bill to get Ellie back."

I left the room to call back Clay. I noticed he had called several times and texted me to call him ASAP.

"I thought I told you I couldn't talk to you anymore," I snapped when he answered the phone. "You better have something serious to tell me."

"I tried to call Aaron. He didn't answer. Your parents asked me to get in touch with you. They have Ellie, Austen."

"Is she okay?" I asked as I started making my way back into the kitchen.

"She's good. Scared, but your parents were able to get her. She is asking for Aaron."

When Aaron saw my face he stopped talking to his mom.

I moved the phone away from my ear and held it out to him. "It's Clay. My parents have Ellie."

Aaron's face broke out in the first real smile I had seen since he lost Ellie. "Is she okay?"

"Talk to Clay, I'll go start packing our things."

He took the phone and I kissed his cheek before grabbing my crutches and making my way to the guest room. His mom followed me to help. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43 0 100
π‘©π’π’π’Œ 𝑢𝒏𝒆 𝒐𝒇 π‘³π’–π’Žπ’Šπ’†π’“π’† π‘Ίπ’‚π’ˆπ’‚ 𝐼𝑑 π‘Žπ‘™π‘™ π‘ π‘‘π‘Žπ‘Ÿπ‘‘π‘’π‘‘ π‘€π‘–π‘‘β„Ž π‘‘β„Žπ‘’ π‘™π‘–π‘”β„Žπ‘‘π‘  π‘œπ‘“π‘“ 𝑖𝑛 π‘Ž π‘‘π‘Žπ‘Ÿπ‘˜, π‘“π‘œπ‘Ÿπ‘’π‘–π‘”π‘› π‘Ÿπ‘œπ‘œπ‘š. οΏ½...
1.6K 52 10
I can't live without him.
3.2K 208 27
I liked him. There was no doubt about it. I thought he liked me. Until there was Her.
3.2K 201 18
She's everything he hated. He's everything she ever wanted to be. She may be the queen, but he's had her on checkmate.