Babysitter [cake au]

By close_as_strangers_7

Where 17 year old Luke gets called to babysit his neighbour's kids, and accidentally falls for their dad. ~10... More

πŸ‘Ά2
πŸ‘Ά3
πŸ‘Ά4
πŸ‘Ά5
πŸ‘Ά6
πŸ‘Ά7
πŸ‘Ά8
πŸ‘Ά9
πŸ‘Ά10
πŸ‘Ά11
πŸ‘Ά12
πŸ‘Ά13

πŸ‘Ά1

1.7K 70 16
By close_as_strangers_7

Woo new story! Enjoyy :))))

Chapter 1

Calum

"Ellis! Blair! Get your shoes on, we're going to the park!" I hollered up the banister, hearing the gentle patter of feet in response to my command. I myself packed them a juice box and banana each, for when they started to wear out, and a chocolate bar for myself.

This would be my third year as a single parent. Fun, right? I didn't know how my fate turned out like this – I had been a promising football player, the premier league right in my grasp if I wanted it. And now, who was I? A twenty-two year old working four jobs with no qualifications, not even an HSC in my pocket.

Ellis, my little star, was turning five next week. He was my pride – he could kick a ball like a real Hood and read a whole Harry Potter book without my help (he was a self-proclaimed Hufflepuff). His familiar roar came ripping through the air as he slid down the banister, jumping off and dusting his hands like a pro.

Blair, the cutest toddler with the biggest brownest eyes, had just turned three. She stumbled her way down the stairs, one at a time, before reaching the massive plastic shoe box where we threw all our shoes. She fished around in it for her favourite pair of purple Velcro sandals, and looked up at me with her puppy eyes in attempt to get me to help her.

"Now, now Blair, you can do it. Remember how daddy taught you? Undo the strap, put your foot in, and tighten the strap. Can you do that for daddy?"

She nodded enthusiastically, a dribble of saliva pooling by the side of her mouth. I grabbed a used tissue from my jacket pocket and wiped it quick, before taking the dog leash from the coat hooks above the shoe box. One sharp whistle later, our little pup Perro came bounding over with his short ass legs and waggling tail.

We left the house, a small two-bedroom home in Merrylands, a suburb of Sydney, and headed to Blair and Ellis' favourite park. It was a relatively long walk away, but luckily there was an ice cream parlour in between so we always went in and got cones. On the way, we passed the Hemmings family house. It was a huge three-storey home with around eight windows visible just on the front.

"Kids, wait a second, I just gotta check that Jack's still okay for this evening!" I called, making them halt and run back over to the fence. I undid the lock and headed down the little path, knocking three times on the door.

A teenage boy opened the door, looking incredibly dishevelled and tired. "Um, hi," he croaked, scratching his stomach.

"Hey, is Jack in?" I asked with a smile. He opened his eyes properly and saw me, hesitating before calling his brother's name. They looked very similar – all three brothers did. I'd only ever seen Ben and Luke twice, and that was when we first moved in down the street. Apparently our parents had been pretty good friends, and since mum and dad had pretty much disowned me ever since Ellis and Blair, Liz and Andy were like parents to me.

Jack came bounding down soon after, whilst the teenager wandered into the kitchen. I just couldn't remember if the younger one was Luke or Ben... damn me and my memory. "Hi Calum! I was just about to text – I'm really sorry, I can't make it tonight after all! I've come down with this really awful bug," he complained, and I could see it in the paleness on his face. He was still in his pyjamas, a pair of Disney slippers on his feet.

I smiled, but this meant that I was gonna have to try and find someone else reliable enough at short notice. "Thanks, Jack... do you by any chance know anyone who'd be able to fill in for you? It's just, you're the only one I trust enough with my kids, so..."

He turned his head. "Luke! Babysit Calum's kids this evening, will you?"

Ah, Luke. Yes, of course – Luke was the musician, Ben was the athlete. "What? No I'm busy!"

"Please," I said. "I'll pay double?"

Luke's ears perked and he grinned. "What time should I be at yours?"

"Seven would be great, thanks!"

He nodded and headed back in, and I said goodbye to a very apologetic Jack. The kids, the dog and I continued our journey to the park, whilst I mentally panicked at just how much money I'd have in the bank after today.

I hated calling babysitters in. It was an unnecessary expense that could go towards something more important – moreover, I loved hanging out with Ellis and Blair. Needless to say, it got pretty exhausting at times. Some days I was thankful Jack could come and fill in for me; after all, people my age were either still in college, or out having the time of their lives. Travelling... seeing the world... my dreams as a child.

Now I had to factor in the cost of travelling with kids. That meant extra plane tickets. Extra food. Extra baggage.

"Daddy, can you push me on the swings please?" Ellis asked, looking up at his towering father. He had his mother's eyes – a gorgeous hazel with flecks of blue in them.

"Of course. Blair, do you wanna try the baby swings today?"

She shook her head adamantly. "Swings scary," she complained, and I didn't blame her. I'd seen little kids fall off them way too many times during our park trips. "Slide?"

I squeezed her hand. "Slide it is."

~

Once Ellis had gotten tired of swinging on a rubber seat attached to chains, and moved onto the climbing frame, I sat myself down on the adult's bench. Blair was happily running around with Perro in my view, so I allowed myself some quiet time.

A dad from Blair's playgroup came and sat down next to me. "Hi, it's Calum, right?" the tall chestnut haired guy greeted. He was dressed head to toe in black – a band tee, leather jacket, black jeans and Chelsea boots – and had a pretty cute smile.

"Yeah, good to see you again!" Like before, I just couldn't quite put my finger around his name. Adam? Andrew?

"Ashton, wait up! Take princess, I need the toilet," an almost-as-tall skinny blonde with a fur jacket on said, dumping a little girl dressed in a matching outfit to – well, Ashton.

Ashton took her into his arms and made a face in attempt to make her smile. She giggled, eyes crinkling up with joy. "This is my other daughter, Paige. Bryana calls her princess all the time, but I don't think it's good to get her used to that luxury life..." he said with a chuckle. I smiled, wriggling my finger in front of her. She grabbed hold of it tight, like a Venus fly trap, little fingers curling around mine with a vice-like grip. "How are your kids?"

I nodded, tilting my head to the side a little. "Good. Trouble, but good. I think I've watched Moana about fifty times in the past week – honest, ask me anything about it!"

"Oh, you can look forward to a lot more of that! When our oldest, Peyton, was younger, Frozen was all the rage. Bryana and I had to physically hide the DVD, but she still managed to find it! I'm so glad she's turning six – her interests have now turned to fashion."

Ashton was thirty. I remember him telling me a while ago – he had a chemistry degree and worked at the local secondary school. Bryana on the other hand... I was pretty sure she was a model, though how she'd pushed out three babies and still managed to keep her good physique, I'd never know.

"So are you up to anything tonight?" he asked, continuing the conversation.

"Yeah. I've got er... work actually. I'm calling in our neighbour to help watch the kids."

"Night shifts on a school night?" he said, with a disapproving tone.

I pursed my lips. "Gotta pay the bills somehow."

Ashton looked around, before reaching into his inside pocket and handing me a piece of paper. "I was gonna call them myself, but I think you'd benefit more from the extra cash. Here."

I took the paper which revealed a phone number. I frowned, glancing up at him. "What do I do?"

"Just ring them. You'll be earning thousands in no time at all."

I pocketed the number and smiled nervously. I'd call them later on, once Luke had settled in.

***

Soooooo what are you thoughts rn? You'll be meeting Luke properly in the next chapter XD

here's to hopeful regular updates

kimmy xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38.3K 2.3K 37
"Why did you call me back?" "Because I need you to tend to something." ~1500 words/chapter Completed :) Β© 2016
280K 8.9K 26
when a good girl teaches a bad boy how to fake innocence
37K 2.1K 38
Luke and Calum were friends in high school but it all went down hill from there. Calum knocked someone up and now Luke is a 2nd grade teacher teachin...
241K 6.7K 39
Accidents Happen. Β© -wastethenight, 2015 tw: cheating, small mention of child abuse #169 in Tumblr, 28/1/2019