Goalie // Sidney Crosby

By alittlebitbias

Emerson Rousseau was going to be the second woman to play in the NHL since the 90's. After her four required... More

The Beginning
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two

Nine

5.1K 69 3
By alittlebitbias

Emerson was all suited up and ready for the game. The lockeroom had a fairly strained feeling in it, though many of the guys were doing their best to keep it carefree. Any minute now they'd be walking out, and Emerson was excited for it because she wouldn't be sitting to the side. Coach Sullivan had already said what he needed to, even Sidney put in some words- while looking directly at Emerson. No one wanted to put any pressure on her, but today could either go well or not if she couldn't pull it together.

"Alright boys let's go!"

"Let's have a good game."

Emerson took her place behind Fleury as the team made their way out onto the ice.

Bright lights, loud noises- Emerson's whole body was filled with adrenaline the moment her skates hit the ice. It was now go time.

Emerson was on the whole game, her focus was killer. The roar of the crowed never seemed to phase her, it wasn't like it was home territory to begin with. Shot after shot was taken of her and it was like everything fell into place. Malkin and Cullen were able to score the 1st period, and Fowler of the Ducks was able to put a slapshot past her. All she had to do was shake it off, people scored, it was the game. The Penguins would go on to score three more goals, Geno would struggle with Cogliano for awhile. Each time back in the lockeroom Emerson stayed focused, not wanting much to be said to her. She wanted to make sure they won... When the final buzzer for the 3rd period went off, Emerson felt am excited buzz run through her as she had just won her first game in the nhl. She saved 32/33 pucks, a save percentage of .970.. for her first game in the nhl she was extatic. Nothing was wiping the smile from her lips as everyone crowded around her in celebration.

***

As soon as the game was over it was right to the plane. In about twelve hours they'd be facing the LA Kings, and Emerson's exhausted body was thankful she wouldn't be starting.

There was so much pride beaming off her as each teammate came to congratulate her. Every text and call she got only made her happier. Social media was all over the place, Penguins fans bragging about how she was going to be the next hot goalie. There was never a way to describe how a win felt, especially a first like this.

Sidney was actually one of the last people to say something to her, and it made sense why. He had pulled her off to the side, placed a hand on her shoulder and smiled down into her eyes, "I told you not to worry and let it just come to you. You did a great job out there today." Thinking back to his words made her cheeks start to heat up, surely turning pink. She was proud of herself. Then Sidney's other statement popped into her head, "I'm buying you a drink when we get back to Pittsburgh. No arguments." A one on one with Sidney like that.. boy was she already looking forwards to it.

Whatever time it was when they landed hadn't mattered to Emerson. All she knew is that they were in LA, at the hotel, and were being allowed to sleep as long as they wanted. Having a night(ish) game was going to be nice, not having to go practice today was even better. Emerson would have to spend time with the trainer she was told, to make sure everything was feeling and looking okay. Apart of her wondered why everyone was acting concerned like this when she knew how to play at a high level.. college proved it.

It was around 2 pm when Emerson finally woke up. Her body felt slightly sore as she went to move off the bed. She luckily had a few hours before she needed to report to the arena, and she was going to take full use of that. A huge part of her actually wanted to go back to sleep, but her phone signaling she got a text stopped her.

"You killed it last night! Give us a facetime call when you can that was exciting :)" -DJ

The boys back in Boston always had a lot of her thoughts occupied. She missed them, their antics, seeing social media of them was always hard. Granted she was having the time of her life with the Penguins, it was just different seeing guys she called family all together without her.

She went and grabbed her laptop from a bag. The moment she clicked on DJ's name in the facetime application, it didn't take long for him to pick up.

Once the screen cut in, DJ's very tanned, young teenager, handsome face took up most of it. He was grinning ear to ear before calling out to some guys, "Finn, Matt! It's Ems hurry the hell up!" of course he'd grab ahold of the two guys who lived with them last year. They were all the closest.

"Ems!!" seeing Finn, the blonde and Matt, another brunette who always had more muscle.. brought a smile to her face.

"Oh wow I feel like it's been too long."

"When are you guys coming to Boston? Cause I'm pretty sure Logan went and got us all tickets..."

"Isn't it in like January? We better be able to go that dumbass better have checked out schedule."

Emerson watched the boys start to stumble around looking for their own phones, and call up to the boys who lived in the house now. It was heartwarming to see familiar faces once again, but it made her miss that team more than anything. Their antics didn't take long to start up again, the curse words, throwing of lacrosse balls and just flat out arguments were all taking place on the screen.

She continued to just sit back and engage with DJ in small talk, while enjoying the entertainment taking place in the back.

"Cooper seems to be enjoying the AHL right now. I know he misses us."

"Yeah we've talked a little. I think it's just hard for us right now, but it'll work out." Emerson cringed as Finn took a dive over the kitchen counter trying to do who knows what. Those boys couldn't hold themselves still if their lives were bet on it.

"Hopefully we all make it to the nhl one day, and end up on the same team. Could you imagine that? Obviously it's unrealistic but we can dream."

"I think I would just retire than get stuck with you boys again!" Emerson joked. Anyone who knew her well, would know she'd die to have a chance to re-live senior year at Boston College. For awhile she was scared that the best years were behind her, but lately things were shaping up to prove her wrong.

"Yah know..." DJ sighed as he readjusted himself on the all too familiar black leather couches that she could clearly see on the screen, "It's not the same without you here. Without Cooper and even Pete. Our late nights aren't as late anymore and the team just seems to be missing something."

"Ah! Don't make me sad.. I'm just starting to liven up jeez."

"Sorry sorry but.. let's all make it back together quickly, ok!?"

"That sounds like a good plan. I'm gonna get going, but let's talk soon. Make sure to tell everyone I say hi."

"Yeah I will." Emerson took a few more seconds to take in the surroundings she was looking at through the screen. She missed that house. Missed watching college boys have to outdo eachotber on a daily basis because they haven't had to grow up yet.

Once she clicked the end button and the screen went blank, her heart felt like it was suddenly filled with emptiness. A huge part was missing once again, a part she rarely liked to think about and this only forced her to. It was such a quick call, so much quicker than she would have liked, but it had to be that way. A lot of times people say not to hold onto the past and that it can hurt. Emerson was just trying to do that since she could abide by it actually working. Of course she wasn't letting go of any of those friendships, just right now she couldn't focus on them.

Emerson decided that she finally wanted to look at the highlights of last night's game. Seeing herself in goal on the nhl network was almost unbelievable. And seeing how natural she looked defending from the pucks felt great. Something else that actually made her happy, was the fact you really couldn't tell she was a girl. Yes her braids were visible, but she doubted anyone was focused on that in the middle of a game. Emerson wanted it to at least look like she was fitting, and she seemed to be doing a good job of it.

As she replayed certain saves she had, she also went and scrolled through the upcoming schedule. It was almost perfectly timed when a certain text came in from a 'Senator'..

"Loved getting to watch you play! Can't wait till our first game against each other." -Bryce

Her best friend and former teammate had been playing with the Ottawa Senators for going onto his third year now. She loved always seeing him on TV, and now it was crazy that they'd both be doing it. December 5th they'd be playing together for the first time since high school- but not as teammates.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

165K 2.1K 25
Small stories about being Mrs. Crosby. This probably won't be one continuous story, but more like a book of little events. Hope you enjoy it! Random...
138K 1.5K 21
sometimes, two people have to fall apart to realize how much they need to fall back together. M. Holden + S. Crosby COMPLETED - October 13, 2019
18.8K 171 43
Life as we know it has always been a challenge. It's always been. And usually you have someone to hold you down, be your rock. Someone to help you th...
5.5K 266 41
Gemma Miller is a 24 year old hockey player currently playing for in a competitive women's hockey league. She's originally from a small town in Canad...