Devotion (GOT Fanfic)

By mono-niji-kayu

Leila Lannister was the devoted child, the one who surrendered youth for a life she didn't wanted and joy for... More

Devotion
Act I: Love
Chapter I
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Act II: Endurance
C H A R A C T E R S A N D S O U N D T R A C K
Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
ASOIAF Fanfic Awards
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
ACT III
Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X

Chapter II

18.7K 490 147
By mono-niji-kayu

  Act I of Devotion: Love

Chapter II: The Viper And The Lioness

 Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice but falling in love with you I had no control over

                                                          Anonymous

                                                            Three Months Later
                                                              273 AC

THE WIND BLEW HARDER THAN SHE WOULD HAVE HOPED. Leila Lannister stood as the ship neared them, feeling her pale skin shiver at the colder air, her light blonde hair dancing along to the tune of the winds, her palms pressed against one another trying to create some heat. The sun and the spear was on her sights, the sails brushing back and forth against the changing winds.

"They are near." She mumbles softly, though loud enough for her aunt Genna to hear.

Leila had changed in the month that had passed. She had become more than what she had been previously. Leila was very quiet, a very personal young woman who kept to doing what a young woman would do. But that was before her lady mother had died. But when lady Joanna had gone and died, Leila had to grow up fast. She had to stand in her mother's place and be the daughter her father needed.

Her aunt and uncles helped her run the Rock when her father had left a week after her mother had been buried. Her father may have been mourning but the realm needed to be governed. And the king was not the kind of man that her father was. My father runs the realm and he only sits there to reign. Her family was helping her through every bit of work but nevertheless, the young girl of twelve namedays knew that she was young and inexperienced, that she was not as capable as many of the seasoned lions.

Tywin had willed it that Leila be left in charge of the household while he was to be away in the capital. Which shocked Leila as she knew there were more far capable people he can leave the Rock to, but Tywin argued differently.

"Nonsense." She recalls him saying to her, the glistening light of his chambers was blinding her as always. "You are more than capable of running Casterly Rock. You will not be alone, you will have other people to guide you through."

"Why me, father?" She had asked him as she sat before him, dressed in all black silk as she sat straightly against the chair. "I am only a young girl, inexperienced-"

"But you are my daughter." He tells her, his look tough as iron bars. "There can be no other whom I trust the Rock to."

There was no more room for argument afterwards. And as a obedient daughter, Leila was prepared to carry out her duties. She attended household meetings, she made sure that everything in the Rock was functioning, from the lifts to the caverns. She does all the paper work required, signing decrees and refusing them. She meets with all the small folk to hear their complains everyday, assigned servants, guardsmen and other posts required for the castle and of course, she made sure that all their bannermen paid their debts.

Leila of course did every action with the help of her father's siblings. Her aunt Genna gave great advice, her uncle Tygett was more serious than most, uncle Kevan was very patient with her and her uncle Gerion was joking more often than he should. It was lenghty days with them through the passing months, arguments and discussions taking longer than the sun but it was worth it. The Westerlands was functioning properly.

"They took their time." Genna Lannister scoffed as her flowing red wine dress blew against the wind.

When Leila was given the raven by Maester Pyrose, she was pleasantly surprised. The Princess of Dorne formally wrote to her that she was going to visit Casterly Rock within the moon's turn. She had known her mother was close with the Dornish princess, but her mother was dead. There was no one left to be close to.

"Did you really had to wear that dress?" Genna questioned, for the hundredth time, as she eyed the young lioness' dress. The dress was golden orange, boasting the radiant flames almost. It was covered in sun like patterns, stitched richly in dark yellow velvet. Though, the seamstress had asked her if she wanted silken shoals around it. Leila declined her offer and asked for short thin sleeves covered in pearls. Leila seemed to regret the decision now.  "If your father was around-"

"But he is not." Leila interrupted, her look towards her aunt lasting only a moment. "He is too busy running the realm to care if I look like a Lannister."

"But he put me in charge of you and your siblings in all manner, including clothes." Leila allowed a brow to raise from her face, her aunt smirking. "I care my dear if you look like a Lannister at all times."

"I already look too much like a Lannister to have to be dressed as one, aunt. That is too much pride."

Genna sighed, "You are too humble, you know that?"

"That is what Uncle Tygett said."

Genna could not help but be reminded of her own mother as he looked at Leila. Jeyne Marbrand was a very kind woman. Sweet-tempered and kind, she never had a bad bone in her body nor was her soul gentle. Good-hearted was the former lady of Casterly Rock. And then she died because of it. She died because she was too kind and Genna had been told by their father when she was young that, "Good people are bright lights that burn to give their light to others." He had said that after his wife had died. And it was true, she knew. The good ones die so young, her mother was young and good and she was ripped away from them. This niece of her was too good, a gentle woman, patient and smart as well. And any man would be lucky to marry her. But she started to wonder, will her end be the same as that of her own lady mother? Will she burn too much and gift her light to another?

"They are here!" Her niece's bright words dragged her off her own world. Genna looked towards the edges of the water and found the sails drifting against the winds, the sigil was clear to see. The proud sun bursting bright piercing against the dark spear. Genna had not expected the day would come that a Martell would be at the Rock but it seemthat day had come. "Quickly, aunt, we must go to them."

Genna followed the de-facto Lady of the Rock as she walked back towards the litter and Genna sat beside her and with a word, the men lifted them up towards the Lion's Mouth. The entrance was too far from where Leila and her aunt had stood to watch the Martell ships. And so the litter was needed as Genna did not want Leila to get too tired, knowing she had to meet with meet with many people today on behalf of her father. The shafts of stairs were easier to go to as the lower they got to the Rock, the more the stairs got wider. Leila was in front of them, the Lannister guards behind them to protect them.

Casterly Rock was too big, which is why Leila managed to wonder at times how brilliant the Casterlys were with taking the rock to be their seat and home. But of course, Leila would praise Lann the Clever more, taking the Casterlys off their own rock and making it House Lannister's keep and home. But nevertheless, Leila loved how vast it was. Leila was loved to walk in the early mornings, most especially during the days when the sun was bright and the air was fresh and strong. Casterly Rock had not a place that was like the other. There were dozens of chambers, dozens of hallways and dozens of court yards, along with gardens and entertaining places that made the Rock a great place to be. Leila had never had a dull day, but she must admit she missed her mother's laughter, which made the castle the brightest place it was.

The pair halted as did the guards as the ships started to dock and the shouts of its crew was heard. Leila fussed about holding the pendant her mother had given her for her ninth name day, a year before. It was that of two lions, clashing against each other with a furious roar. Leila laid eyes on it as she had done when she had received it and the feeling never left her, that her parents never wanted her to forget who she is. That she is the daughter of the lion and the lioness, a roaring cub of House Lannister and she will not falter. 

Her thoughts were altered when her aunt nudged her, causing her eyes to straighten upwards as the Princess of Dorne stood tall as she exited the ship dressed in a golden tangerine dress, surrounding with sown badges of the sun being pierced by the spear. She was truly Rhoynar, a Salty Dornishwoman. Her eyes were dark and firm like a raven's wing, her hair was beautifully styled in a tight bun, a hairnet of pearls keeping it straight and unmoving. She was slim, though not too thin and was tall as a spear was, perhaps might be as tall as her lord father. Age had come to her, though. She had wrinkles near her eyes and hints of white flourishing against her prominent dark head. Beside her was her lord consort, who looked like a Salty Dornishman as well, though his eyes were clearer in color than that of his princess wife as his clothes reminded her of the very bright shine of the sky. Behind him were two children, almost relating to her age she observed. One a young man with dark ringlets for eyes and dark hair like the night, his skin reminded her of the beautiful copper though lighter with the hints of gold. But he was tall, similar to that of the princess and her consort. Together with him was a woman who Leila could not help but feel in awe of. She was a beautiful girl, she knew. She had a similar coloring to that of the young man, though she was shorter. Her hair was flowing darkly like the nightingale as her smile was that of the sun, the beautiful sun.

And then, there they stood, in front of each other. 

Leila smiled as she looked at the princess and found that there was a hint of sorrow in her eyes. Leila was frequently told that she was that of Joanna's flesh and body. There was no mistaking it. Leila had everything her mother had, including her smile. There was no wonder why her father had both loved her. But now she was sure, he probably loathed to see her now, growing ever more like her mother and haunting him of what he had lost. The princess of Dorne took to taking a few steps towards her and slowly, reached out her hands to join hers. Loreza Martell felt as though it had been years before again, when they were just young girls in the service of their own friend Rhaella Targaryen when she had been princess and until she had become queen. But of course, things have changed and there was no doubt in her mind that nothing was to be to be the past again.

"My princess of Dorne, my lord and my dear guests, I welcome to Casterly Rock." Leila said as she hastily dropped in a curtesy which caused her aunt to roll her eyes while they looked at her niece.

"Oh, stand from the curtesy, child." Loreza said as Leila stood up, the sound of her dress sweeping downwards as her legs felt the coldness of the fabric. "Come, let me see you."

Leila took a step forward and stood toe to toe with the Loreza and she felt the Dornishwoman's hands touch her pale white cheeks.

Loreza found that Leila did not look her young age. She looked older, more of a grown woman instead of a young girl. She was a beauty, just like her mother. Loreza appreciated the fact that Leila had dressed in Dornish fashion, in light silks and laces. The coloring was Martell too, which caused her heart to melt at the sight of her. Leila was tall enough to reach her. Her eyes were as green as the darkest trees while her skin as magnificent as beautiful white stone. She was truly Joanna Lannister reborn.

"You look exactly like your mother." The Dornish princess whispered under her breath as Leila politely smiled. "Your mother talked only good about you, lady Leila."

"I am honored to be held in great regard like my lady mother by you, my princess."

In truth, Leila was saddened when she was told those words. They ring too true. Leila did look like her mother. But she knew that comes with horrid consequences. Her father couldn't stand to behold the sight of her though he still regards her as his daughter. People mistakenly called her by her mother's name, including her grandmother when she visited from Feastfires a month before. Leila was horrified to live as the ghost of another person.

"As she would." She nodded at Leila as her hands were gone from the young lioness' face. Loreza turned to her husband. "This is my husband, Lord Mors Jordayne."

"My lady." The man smiled down on her, kissing her hand after bowing. He greeted her with more kind words before moving on to her aunt to greet her. Loreza smiled at her husband and turned back to Leila as she turned the lioness to her son and daughter.

"My dear, this is my second son, Prince Oberyn and my daughter, Princess Elia."

Leila can feel the two's eyes double on her. Their eyes were the same, beaming with curiosity and wonderful delight. Leila looked at Oberyn and smiled at him.

He is handsome, as a prince should be.

"My lady," Oberyn Martell's lips were placed upon a tight grin as he walked to her and took her hand into his and placed a gentle kiss upon her hand, just as his father had. "It is a pleasure for me to meet you. A very beautiful lioness."

"I thank you, my prince." Leila felt her cheeks deepen with shades of red as her blood warmed all around her veins. "You are too kind with your praises."

"But my dear brother is right." Elia Martell's smile was bright and innocent all at once. It was the gentle sun, Leila wanted to say aloud. The beautiful beaming sun of Dorne. "You are very beautiful. We rarely see the rare beauty you possess, my lady."

"My prince and my princess honor me with such compliments."

"We are glad you are here." Genna Lannister finally began to speak, walking over with the Princess' consort. Leila had seen her smile before, tight and unmoving. It was the smile she used when she saw her own lord husband. "We apologize for my brother, the Lord Tywin Lannister's absence. But I'm  sure he will return soon to welcome you."

"Of course," Loreza nodded at her words. "We have trivial matters to discuss with him."

"Regardless, we are here to cater to your every need and make you comfortable as much as we can while my lord father is away." Leila smiled at them, looking at her aunt. "I suppose I shall see them to their chambers, my dear aunt?"

"I'll see princess Loreza and her lord husband to their suites." Genna looked to the Dornishwoman, "If that would be alright?"

"Of course." Replied the princess as she eyed her husband with a look Leila could not understand. The princess turned to her children. "Make sure you behave yourselves, both of you." Nodding came from the two royal children and with that, her dear aunt led them out of through the stairway, two Lannister guards following them and soon Martell men followed.

"This is such a big place!" Elia finally said as her eyes dazzled in the marvelous port that was below the Rock. Leila had known that her father took pride in it. It was one of the most productive ports in the Westerlands and in the Seven Kingdoms and it was built in below Casterly Rock's foundations. Leila too knew she must feel pride in it. Leila started to lead them and the rest of the Martell host upon the stairs from which she and her aunt had descended from earlier. As they ascended upward, Elia brightly pointed towards the smooth and elegant foundations of the Rock. Leila would not blame Elia for finding it wonderful. Leila too felt the same when she first saw them as a child when they first left for King's Landing. Elia smiled just as brightly as her then if she remembers.

"It was Lann the Clever's wife who suggested the building of the port below Casterly Rock, wasn't it?" Oberyn Martell suddenly said aloud, his eyes darting at Leila. His accent made Leila feel chills all over her body. He was suave, aloof even and yet no effort was needed to look attractive.

"It was said that his wife, a lady of House Casterly, was rather curious why her father had never built if when he was in power." Leila agreed with him as Elia listened to her words. "So she had him built it. Most of the pubs made below were there since Lann's time or so they say."

"I find it rather appeasing that you know about your house and its history far more than most Maesters, my lady Lannister."

Leila laughed, "I do not trust some sources, my prince. Some are rather narrow ones. Though I find some of them interesting, like the story in which Lann the Clever made the Casterlys believe Casterly Rock was haunted and so they left with their tails between their legs?"

Oberyn's brow raised in intrigue. "You do not find that interesting, my lady of Lannister?"

"Oh, I do, I just don't believe it."

"And what do you believe in?" He rebuttals as he stopped midway through the steps. "Which story do you believe?"

Leila found that she was liking Oberyn already. Leila had always found that she needed to debate ideas or talk with someone on their opinion on a certain matter after she has heard or read about them. Her uncle Tygett was a great challenger but always in the training yard. Her uncle Gerion was always away making jokes and doing things that pleasure him. Uncle Kevan was busy with raising a family, so was aunt Genna. Her father was away often and her mother dead. Jaime could be a great conversationist though he jests more often and Cersei did not care for the latter at all.

But Oberyn Martell, he had just arrived and Leila did not want him to leave. Leila found that Oberyn was going to make certain her curiosity lives on.

"I believe Lann worked for the the King of the Rock and then became his most trusted advisor. Since he had no sons, he married off his eldest daughter to Lann and thus, House Lannister." Leila smiled at the grinning prince. "Does my answer bore you, my prince?"

"Not at all." He admits, "You are rather blunt with things, my lady."

"Please, call me Leila." She insists as Elia turned to her brother, his look returning her own wondering  gaze. "Lady Lannister was my mother, I don't think I am adament to replace her, my prince."

"I apologize for that then." Oberyn said to her. "And please, no formalities.  Call me Oberyn."

"And me, Elia." Elia added, a welcoming beam on her lips. "Our mothers were friends and I hope that you, me and Oberyn would be as close as they were."

"Oh," Leila first said as a smile crept to her face. "Of course. We can be the greatest of friends!"

Leila did not know it then. But they'll be her family too.

                                LEILA ENJOYED HAVING THE MARTELL SIBLINGS AS COMPANY. Leila, as a young girl had always delighted in being in the library learning on her own. Of course, Jaime and Cersei were always together and she only ever came to play with them when they asked her to. Jaime and Cersei had their own little world and so did Leila. But with Oberyn and Elia around, she felt rather happy and included. It was as if her world wasn't just alone anymore.

"Our rooms look dark outside." Elia whispered as Leila sat in front of her that morning, beside Leila was Oberyn. The princess of Dorne and her consort were in end of the table with her aunt Genna and uncle Kevan. Tygett Lannister was still in the training yard practicing with the captain of the guards. But they do not know where her uncle Gerion was. He didn't come home from Lannisport last night.

"I should say that the raining season is upon us then." Leila responded to them. Then smiled apologetically. Oberyn was fond of seeing that smile now. "Forgive me, Casterly Rock may be a great castle but it is rather windowless. I've told my lord father of it but it seemed that he has no interest on changing the rock."

"You don't need to apologize." Elia smiled back, reassuringly. "It's not your fault that the sky darkens."

"I should say that it might delay you if you should travel soon."

"Your siblings," Oberyn whispered to Leila as he downed the hot spiced ale. Elia wonders what her brother intends to say. "I've met them earlier." Leila's eyes darted at her siblings as they ate in silence beside each other.

"And what do you make of them, my prince?"

"It's Oberyn." He corrected her as a sly smile appeared on his lips. Leila blushed slightly at her mistake. "But they did tell me something interesting."

"What did they tell you?"

"That you have a little brother." Leila's eyes widened slightly as Elia answered her before Oberyn could.

"Yes, that is true." Leila nods, a little frantic as she moved to allow the goblet of water wine into her mouth. "We do have a little brother."

"May we see him?" Elia questions, almost as if begging. "Please?"

"Now, now." Oberyn turned to his sister. "We musn't-"

"It is alright, Elia." Leila smiled at the girl, masking her face. Cersei is sparking the flames of intrigue again. Leila was no stranger to hearing of those things, the rumours about her little brother. That he has the privates of both a girl and a boy, that he has red eyes and a tail between his legs. A monster. Leila had stopped those rumors in the Westerlands easily. Guardsmen and singers can make people fall back in line. But in the rest of the kingdoms? That was not easy. She had no doubt the Martells had heard of these things as they travelled. "Do you wish to see him?"

"Oh yes, I would!"

"Then we shall go when we finish our meal."

And so time passed as they ate. Though Leila's appepite seemed less important. She was not much hungry and so only drank water wine afterwards forcing food into her mouth. Leila was nervous for her brother. People breed such rumours about him, such lies. What would happen when he grows up? Will he be filled with rumours too? Surrounded by the words people make of him instead of what he truly is. Leila wondered if she'll be able to protect him all her life. Unless my father does something. He is too persistent, that man. And the true lord of all Seven Kingdoms. Only fools disobey him.

As they enter the nursery, Leila found that there was no nurse-maid. Odd, Senelle should be-

"Sister." Cersei Lannister smiled ever so smugly as she stood there in her red gown. Leila had not seen her sister since last night. She wondered why she did not come to break her fast with them. Jaime was beside her, dressed in dark breeches and a red surcoat. Jaime looked nervous, she noted. As if he had been caught doing something bad. Jaime only ever feared their lady mother. Leila's look though, it reminded him of his lady mother. "You are kind enough to visit, our dear brother."

"Yes," She nodded. "Where is Senelle? She is suppose to remain in her post-"

"I sent her away." She retorts back. "I wanted to be the one to care for Tyrion." Cersei noticed that behind her elder sister was the two Dornish royals, looking curious as their eyes shined brightly. "Do you wish to see him? Come closer."

"Cersei." Leila's words were tough as she pronounced them. But that did not stop Oberyn and Elia from walking towards the cradle.

"Well, I suppose this is what you were waiting for." Cersei said as she knelt more closer and unwrapped the lace covers to reveal Tyrion, their dwarf baby brother. Leila could see the shine disappear from Oberyn and Elia's face.  "And here is the freak."

"Lady Cersei," Oberyn breathed as Elia smiled at the young boy as he cooed. "That is only a baby."

"No, he is a freak." Cersei growled like a lioness would, removing the smallclothes covering his privates and took it in her hand, pinching it hard. She released a satisfied snort as her sister and brother protested for her to let go. Tyrion started to cry. "And not to worry, he will die soon. Everyone says he will."

"Cersei!" Leila took steps towards her as she removed Cersei's grip with her own gentle hands. But it wasn't gentle this time, no. It was hard and painful. Cersei looked up to her sister and noticed her eyes as they were clouded in anger and disappointment. Tyrion wailed as tears rushed down his face, Jaime walked over and rocked the cradle to try and soothe him.

"What? It's true! He is cursed and he will die soon!"

"You will speak no words to me until you think of what you had said." Leila hissed to her sister, letting go of her hand. "He is our brother!"

With tears falling vigorously, Cersei looked at her sister with hate.

"That monster is no brother of mine!" And with that, her dress swept the floor and immediately, she went out the doors. Jaime turned to his elder sister, looking for permission to leave. Leila pursed her lips in a line. She nodded. Jaime followed his sister, screaming for her to wait for him.

Leila took steps to her young brother as she found he was silent again. Leila put his smallclothes back on and allowed him to sleep, once more.

"I am sorry," Was the first thing she said to them. "It was not right for me to have an argument of sorts with my family in front of guests."

"You were only trying to defend your brother." Elia said to her, "There was no bitterness in our part."

"But disappointment, that is harder to say." Oberyn told her. "Those men lied to me and my sister Elia about your brother."

"I take no offense." Leila shook her head. " I cannot stop people from fabricating lies and stories."

"He is just a baby though." Elia whispered to them. "Why would anyone scorn such a beautiful young boy?"

"Because he lived." Leila whispered back. "And our mother didn't."

Oberyn and Elia apologized to her over and over again as they came towards the court yard below the level of Leila's chambers. Leila said nothing of it but assurances and smiled it all off. When they made it to Elia's chambers, Elia excused herself due to exhaustion. As the doors closed, Oberyn looked to Leila.

"Will you give me the honor of sending you off to your chambers, Leila?" Oberyn asked as his smile was appearing charming. Leila took the arm he's already given out for her and wrapped it around her arm. "Will we use the lift or the stairs?"

"The stairs would perhaps take up our the time in our talk, Oberyn." She said, almost forgetting to call him by his personal name. A soft smile engulfed her lips. "Besides, my chambers are upstairs and have a lot of chambers before mine."

"Like mine." Oberyn exclaims as Leila laughs, nodding. Oberyn's heart rarely falters from anything. One thing that could be named to make him feel so soft and tender was his dear sister. But when he looked at Leila Lannister, it was as if the world was feathers rather than mud and iron. It was beautiful and kind and nothing else mattered. Nothing but her. "You are a very beautiful woman, Leila."

Leila knew her cheeks were as red as the dress she was wearing at at the very moment. Leila was often told of how beautiful she is by maids and other women in the castle but being told by a man for the very first time, it made her blush to no end. Her heart was racing and her emotions slipping into a conscious awakening she didn't know she was ever going to have.

"Y-you flatter me, Oberyn."

"I must admit, I have flattered and faced women because I was attracted to them." He says to her as they came to a halt. "But when I see you, somehow the other women don't matter." Her green eyes flickered against the viper's gaze, feeling his fingers trace her face. "When I see you, I feel as though only you matter."

Leila did not know why but as they stood there with only the two of them and no one else, nothing seemed to exist for her but him. Only him.

Oberyn leaned closer to her, his face was only an inch from hers at this point. His hands were still on her soft cheeks.

"What are you doing?" She questioned for him as his fingers touched her thick pinkish lips.

"Feeling you." He answered as his hands stopped at the touch of fingers to her chin and raised it slightly to make certain that her look was only on him and only him.

And then...

He kissed her.

And to the damnation of her soul, she kissed back.

And she liked it.

                     LEILA HAD NOT BEEN SHOCKED WHEN SHE WAS SUMMONED HER FATHER HAD ARRIVED. She had been expecting him since the letter was sent that the Martells have arrived to visit the Rock. Leila understood that he needed to talk to her urgently.

She passed the hall where she shared that great intimate moment with the young prince and couldn't help but smile as she touched her lips, the lingering feeling of his warm lips still making her feel free from reality. Locked away in eternal bliss in his touch.

The next day, Oberyn had tried to apologize for her for being too forward and she told him that it was alright, admitting too that she liked him. Leila had often known that she would wed one day and being ten and two already, Leila knows that her father would find her a match worthy of her. And Leila had prayed to the gods that it would be Oberyn to whom she would be wed. Oberyn made her happy. He tried to cheer her spirits when she had been upset over the events of those days when Cersei would not reconcile with her, he often made sure to impress her when he trained with some of the Lannister guards, he took to making certain to accompany her to the library and on walks. Oberyn would make me happy, as my mother had made my father happy. I would have no sorrowful days if I wed him.

Her thoughts stopped when she finally arrived in her father's office chambers. Outside were her father's most trusted guardsmen, whom she nodded at. Without a single utter of a word, the doors opened for her and revealed the lonesome figure of the man himself, sitting quietly as the quill moved against his hands. When the doors shut, she immediately gave a small bow to her lord father.

"Father," She says, still on her low bow. "I welcome you home. Casterly Rock rejoices in your long awaited return."

"Sit." Was all he said to her as she blinked, finding herself back in a standing position and soon, moving to the chair facing the large looming desk. Gracefully, she sat on it, her hands folded upon her thighs.

Then there was silence.

Leila knew her father was fond of silence. She remembered how even if her mother was around, he was working in silence. The only sound you'll ever hear was the dancing quill and the floating presence of parchments as they were moved about. It didn't matter who was seeing him, he'll speak when he wishes. Work was important to him, after all.

"I heard you've sent a bard to Lord Farman." Her father said as he continued to write. "You said it was sent by me when it is you who sent the bard."

"I partake not in glorification, my dear father." Leila replied swiftly. "But yes, I did send a bard. Lord Farman was not delighted with how things work. And so, a man with a harp came to sing for him."

"And did he learn his lesson?"

"The Rains of Castamere teaches men to learn their lessons quickly." She sighs. "If boys can be persuaded to be knights and maidens to be helpless by songs, then perhaps insolent lords can be taught to pay their taxes."

He snorted.

Leila knew how to amuse anyone despite her quiet nature, even her own unfeeling father.

"Good." He exclaims, returning the quill into its holder. "So long as our bannermen see that we are strong, they will think twice of betraying us."

"Otherwise, they'll hear us roar." Leila says, a small prideful smile appearing in her face. Tywin nodded at her as he folded the parchment and took hot wax, his signet ring pressed against it in moments. "How was court, father?"

"Uneventful." Tywin said to her though she knew he was lying.

Leila knew that Aerys Targaryen was growing rather..independent from her father's advice. Her father had started to be popular with the smallfolk and the lords and ladies of the realm. People started to see that her father was the one who ruled the realm, not the king. Besides the jealousy, there was grief. The king and the queen kept losing their children. Prince Aegon was born a year before and days before her father had come, a raven came to announce the news that the baby prince was dead. Aerys Targaryen was a very feeling man and extreme in that, she knew.

"I see." Nodding, she said none of it anymore. "Are you pleased with how I have helped in the castle, father?"

"It seems you have been trying to be worthy of the name Lannister." In her father's language, that meant he was pleased with her. Blowing the parchment, he set it aside. "Do you know why I have called for you?"

"Besides to ask of the happenings in the Rock, I am rather unknowing."

"You are a grown girl." Tywin exclaimed to her, "Flowered last year, you could bear children already. But of course, you are still young. So perhaps, the current thing we may do for you is to arrange a match."

"As is befitting of my duties as a woman, yes."

"The princess of Dorne talked with me as soon as I had arrived and made sure I was aware of her wishes." He sat straightly, his green eyes falling against her own. She pursed her lips. "It seems that without my knowledge, your mother had been speaking with the princess about wedding a Lannister to a Martell."

"A wise match," Leila exclaimed to her father. "Securing the Dornish on our side. When Cersei flowers, she'll be married off to Rhaegar Targaryen and Jaime to a Tully girl. Then, Tyrion could be matched for anyone in the Westerlands. Or perhaps a Florent. They aren't likely to choose once they know they'll be rich."

There was a look in Tywin's eyes that made her look wisely right. She was his daughter indeed.

"You'll be marrying Oberyn Martell." Tywin exclaimed hard, commanding even she thought. "To secure the South. As you said, Cersei shall secure the rest of the Seven Kingdoms and your brother Jaime to wed a Tully. Tyrion will not wed until I say so."

"Of course." Leila nodded, hiding the fact that she was thrilled with her father's choice. She will be happy in Dorne, she thinks. "When will you announce our betrothal?"

"At the parting feast, a few days before I return to King's Landing." He answers her. "And as part of the deal, you will go to Dorne as a ward to the princess herself and once you are a little older, you shall wed the prince and produce him heirs."

"Of course, father." She smiled at him. "Will that be all, father?"

"Yes, that will be all." He tells her as she stood firmly, then proceeding to lower herself to give respect to her father. Once Leila turned to face the door, her father paused from his work. "Leila."

She turned, "Yes, father?"

"You've never failed me before." He said to her as suddenly, a hint of softness was befalling his gaze towards her petite figure. "Do not try to fail me now, especially now that you are leaving to make people see why we Lannisters are great."

"I will never fail you, father." She told him in response. "Not ever."

She never failed him nor disobeyed him.

Not even in the end.

Well, there you are!

We finally see Oberyn and my beloved Elia!

We saw different sides to Leila Lannister in this chapter and you see how she manages to be Tywin's most trusted child. She has different aspects to her, from cinammon bun to cunning snake.

But yeah, in the next chapter we'll be going to Dorne. And after that chapter, we'll be starting to show you the Silver Prince 🖒

Until next time

xoxoxoxo Author

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.7K 2.2K 23
Melisandre saw Stannis Baratheon's firstborn, Princess Ardella Baratheon on the iron throne in her flames. Stannis Baratheon started his conquest for...
3K 61 11
โ One for sorrow Two for joy Three for a girl Four for a boy Five for silver Six for gold Seven for a secret, never to be told Eight for heaven Nine...
32.2K 1.7K 49
Jaime made a deal for Tyrions life. Tywin has come to collect. Rieka didnt sign up for marrying both Lannister brothers within a few moons yet here f...
4.1K 134 9
'Oh Lord, Oh Lord, what have I done? I've fallen in love with a man on the run Oh Lord, Oh Lord, I'm begging you please Don't take that sinner from m...