Finding Beauty

By angelica_is_a_person

The Beast is a well known murderer that plagues New York City. He is known for only killing criminals but whe... More

Author's Note, Trailer, and Covers!
Cast
Playlist
Beauty?
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Bonus Chapter: The Beast Is Gone
Bonus Chapter: Curses
Bonus Chapter: What If?
Thank You
New Book
Possible Q&A
Q&A
Rewrite!
The Rewrite is Up!
115k Reads !
New Books!

Chapter 45

1.3K 74 23
By angelica_is_a_person

~The Beast~

I finish packing the picnic basket and place it in the back of my trunk along with the towels and umbrella. Belle doesn't know it yet but I planned for us to spend the day at a quiet and usually empty beach a few miles away from here. I thought it would be fun and more interesting than spending the day cooped up in the castle. Besides, it'll be a good way to wrap things up. Her last memory with me will be a good one.

Carina strolls out of the castle to me with one of her usual sweet smiles. "A day at the beach. I'm sure Belle will appreciate it." She takes a breath, her thumbs resting in her jean pockets. "You and Belle have come a long way. If I didn't know the things I do I wouldn't have saw it coming."

I rest an arm on the hood of my car and raise an eyebrow at her. What does she mean? "See what coming?"

She shakes her head, dismissing it. "Nevermind. I'm going to head back inside." She starts to walk back with a pep in her step. "Have fun!" She waves as her braid swishes. I realize that she looks happy. Carina has always looked happy but before Belle came it's always seemed like an act. Like she was putting on a smile hoping that it would spread onto me.

This seems to make what I have to tell her even harder to say so I force the words out of my mouth before I can change my mind.

"I think I should let her go."

There's a long silence in which Carina steps towards me and stares for a long time. I stare back.

"Belle? You would really do that? You know that would come with consequences, right? The police, they'll-"

I cut her off. "I know what will happen, Carina. I'm willing to pay that price. For Belle." I try to replicate the fierce and strong look Belle constantly has in her eyes but I know I'll never be able to. I'm not as strong as her.

She looks away and I can see there are tears in her eyes. She swallows before saying," I've never been so proud." Then she wraps her arms around me and holds me tightly, like I might slip away. Maybe I will without Belle.

"I'm gonna miss her so much..." I mumble, my voice on the brink of cracking. I didn't think I would end up caring so much about Belle. I knew I kidnapped her because I wanted someone around but that whole time I was thinking about myself. My whole life has always been about me. And before I knew it, suddenly, it was all about her. Carina rubs my back in response.

"I know, love. I will too." She pulls away and sniffles. "But you have to be strong and make this day count. Enjoy it."

"I'll try," I mumble. But how could I with the huge cloud of dread hanging over me? Belle makes me so happy. She understands me. She's there for me even when I don't deserve it. Belle has become such an important piece of my life and I'm about to let her go forever.

~Beauty~

About two hours later, Gale parks in an abandoned camp site. I hear the leaves and twigs crunch under the wheels of the car and flash Gale an eager smile. We parked just alongside the beach, almost on the sand.

It's not that big of a beach. It's really just a faint strip of sand with the water rolling in steady patterns. But it's still perfect and beautiful and all I could ever want in a beach. Plus, we have it all to ourselves.

I was surprised when Gale showed up to my bedroom door proposing we spend the day at the beach. He said it was an empty one where he could walk around without a mask and not worry. It has been so long since I've been to a beach and these days have been unseasonably hot. It's perfect. I can't wait to feel the sand on my feet and the cool, salty water on my skin.

"You ready?" Gale asks looking over at me while unbuckling his seatbelt.

"Absolutely!" I reply. We unload the trunk and head towards the sand. Together, we lay a blanket on the ground and place the umbrella on top of it creating a cute little set up.

Once we're done, Gale takes a seat and pats the space next to him. I join, reflecting his sitting position, my legs stretched out in front of me while I lean on my arms.

"I don't even remember the last time I came to the beach," he says staring out at the water. "It's been so long." He then smiles like he's recalling a funny memory.

"What?" I ask wanting to be in on the joke.

"Well, this one time when I came to the beach..." he launches into a story about how his family accidentally ended up on a nude beach and didn't realize it until an old man strolled by showing off his body. Though, I'm hardly paying attention. He leans in while talking to me and I'm fully aware of how close we are, are noses just inches apart. My eyes fall on his lips. They're pink and appear soft, a human trait I haven't noticed before. Are they soft? He's so close. I would be able to find out by just...

Woah.

I jump back a little too harshly and he notices. Hurt flashes in his eyes but still he continues the story. Again, I can't seem to focus. Did I almost kiss him? Did I want to kiss him?

I mean it's perfectly normal to care for him. Maybe even to love him. I've spent so much time with him and I've gotten to know him so well. I know all his flaws, his insecurities, his ghosts. I know he's a kind man at heart that's slowly but surely healing. He knows me and I know him. And we fit together so well. We balance eachother out. He's my best friend. I do love him.

But am I in love with him?

The thought startles me. That would complicate everything, wouldn't it? Because then I'll be trapped all over again. He's a beast. He can't go out into the world looking like he does. I won't be able to go to the movies with him or take him to Coney Island. I won't be able to travel the world or go to college because then we'll be living in two different worlds.

Why, witch lady? Why can't you just reverse the curse?

So, I decide I won't. I won't let myself be in love with him.

"Let's play in the water!" I shout randomly. Sitting here for another moment will only make things worse.

I take off the cover up revealing my neon yellow bathing suit. It's a backless one piece and has a bow around my waistline, joining the fabric together. Carina had got it for me. I don't know where she got it from. But that's Carina for you, making things appear like a wizard.

I instinctively grab his hand and we charge into the water. We splash around for what feels like hours just enjoying each other's company. Just being friends.

We come out of the water, Gale's blue trunks dripping with water. He throws a towel at me that already smells like the salty water and flashes a smile displaying his fangs. I hardly notice them anymore. I think Gale hardly does either. He seems comfortable in his skin now.

I turn on the small, almost vintage looking radio as we eat the picnic Gale packed. I'm surprised at the amount of thought put into it. The foods all being my favorite. As I munch on a sandwich, I carefully take in Gale. He's been weird today. Every time we're having a fun moment he smiles and then right after his face darkens. I asked about it a couple of times but he just shrugged it off. What was going on with him?

Now, Gale looks at me again with another look in his eye. It's a familiar look. The look my dad use to give my mother.

No. I quickly look away feeling frustrated.

I can't. He can't.

I try to focus on the music playing on the radio, trying to empty my mind of all things love related. This isn't rational. In fact, it's the opposite! It's...it's irrational!

The pop song switches to a slow song and Gale's head perks up. "I love this song," he states putting his cookie down. He stands up and brushes off his shorts, then extends his hand to me.

"Wh-what?" Gosh. When did I get so tongue tied?

"Dance with me?" he softly asks. His blue eyes match the water in the sunlight.

I shouldn't. I really shouldn't. Friends don't slow dance together. But I want to. So I place my hand in his and let him lead me out into the clear sandy space.

He places his hands around my waist and looks up at me, checking to see if this is okay. I give a shaky smile and slowly rest my arms on his neck. After a moment of swaying, I'm able to focus on the words of the song.

I'm not tryna start a fire with this flame

But I'm worried that your heart might feel the same

And I have to be honest with you baby

Tell me if I'm wrong, and this is crazy

But I got you this rose and I need to know

Will you let it die or let it grow?

I stare at my sand covered feet.

Could the song relate more to the situation? Is the universe taunting me? Pushing me to fall for someone I can't keep? A hopeless love?

I look back up and find myself captured in Gale's steady gaze. I realize he feels the same way too and this would be perfect if not for the circumstances. Again, his features darken and his eyes land on something behind me. Maybe he knows what I know. That this could never work. To comfort him- or maybe to comfort myself- I lay my head on his shoulder as the rest of the song plays.

You can tell me to stop if you already know

Though I'm not sure my heart can take it

But the look on your face says don't let me go

A few hours later, I'm lying on my stomach watching the sunset with Gale. I don't know if it was spending the day in the sun or the emotional crisis going on inside me but I feel exhausted and have to fight to stay awake.

The sun is a canvas painted with shades of red, orange, and yellow. The sun is half set, a bright yellow semicircle sitting on the horizon line.

"Belle?"

"Yea?" I place my head on my arms. My eyelids feel heavy.

"What do you want to do in the world?" I know what he means without having to look at him or ask.

"Well, I want to write a book. I've always wanted to do that," I say thinking about the notebook back in Brooklyn filled with a pieces of story ideas I jotted down. "I also want to travel the world. See things. Like the Eiffel Tower, the Grand Canyon, the Amazon. My dad went to all those places."

"That would be a big adventure," he says while watching the sun.

"Yea..." I mumble. My eyes are closed now and I can feel my breathing become soft and even. My head rest in the makeshift pillow my arms have created. Moments pass and it feels like I'm at the edge of sleep when I feel Gale kiss my forehead. It's soft and slow. His hand lingers on my cheek.

"I wish I could be there for all of that," he whispers to himself. "But I..." I hear his voice shift and I know he's holding back tears. He doesn't continue.

I want to open my eyes and ask him what he means and why he's about to cry but sleep drags me away before I can.

Author's Note- Hope you enjoyed this chapter! If you did vote and comment! Thanks for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.9K 470 56
The Beast is a well known murderer that plagues New York City. He usually only kills criminals but when Beth's mother steals from him, Beth becomes o...
122K 11.1K 60
A Beast stalks the night... but Beauty hunts him. A reimagining of the story you thought you knew. Rell grew up hearing stories of the Human Realm, a...
680 71 60
Belle is a maid living in service of a handsome prince who she falls madly in love with. Jealous of all the other women and angry at his refusal to n...
304K 7.9K 24
Being the sister of the supposed Air head of the town comes with it's ups and downs. Sisters Belle and (Reader) are inseparable with (Reader) being o...