Reflections Beginning (Book 2...

By SandraCorton

Charlie is a girl who lives in two worlds. Her teenage years have been full of demands on her time so she can... More

Chapter 1 Holidays in another World
Chapter 2 - A stranger in the mirror
Chapter 3 - A plan is hatched
Chapter 4 - In need of rescue: one prince and one would be hero
Chapter 5 - One too many surprises
Chapter 6 - The problem with twins and an incredibly old lady
Chapter 7 - Conversations with myself
Chapter 9 - Home truths to swallow
Chapter 10 - Frightful dreams and petty jealousy
Chapter 11 - City Dramas
Chapter 12 - Dinner, Dancing and Life Bond Truths
Chapter 13 - Hot kisses and farewells
Chapter 14 - School shocks and dramas
Chapter 15 - Some BFF time
Chapter 16 - Wait there are two?
Chapter 17 - Nothing but strange news
Chapter 18 - Mysteries and Madness

Chapter 8 - Fairies and Flying Horses

5.1K 150 0
By SandraCorton

Chapter 8 – Fairies and Flying Horses ©

I heard the morning birds singing their songs of joy when I first woke up. I squinted my eyes while wondering where that intense sunlight was streaming from.

Voices low and rumbling made me frown as I tossed the sheets off me. I walked into the kitchen to see the two guys staring intently at me but I paid them no heed.

“What I wouldn’t give for a cup of coffee right now.” I muttered.

“Charlotte please put some clothes on.” Caden’s voice was strained as I turned to him stretching. I looked down at myself, blushed deeply and quickly shuffled into the shower with a handful of respectable Argonian clothes.

Feeling slightly better but still blushing like a fool, I quickly exited fully clothes and went to face my doom that is two guys who saw me practically naked by Argonian standards.

Maybe if I pretended everything was as it should be then it would be fine. Nope, Caden was smirking while sending me a hot, intense look as Markus had his eyebrows raised but wouldn’t truly look at me.

“Right I’m going back in time so you guys don’t remember that.” I told them firmly but Caden shook his head at me.

“No that is not going to happen.” He quickly snatched my hand and dragged me protesting over to a chair. “You are going to eat breakfast so that we can leave this tower.”

“Fine.” I muttered as I buttered some toast and turned to Markus “I know what I said last night was harsh but I hope it made you realise-“

“Charlie I totally understand. It will never happen again.” He interrupted me rather solemnly.

“Good. So are you coming with us or going home?”

“I will be going home. Mother would feel utterly abandoned and distraught if both of us were missing.” He told me and I nodded.

I yawned and stretched as Caden walked back in to the room carrying two huge backpacks. I raised an eyebrow at him quizzically as he gestured for me to join him. The pack was so heavy that I was almost knocked comically backwards with the weight.

“Geez I’m wishing for some horse’s right about now.” I told them sarcastically to which they both snickered with laughter “So do we have any idea whereabouts we are positioned in Fairy Land?”

“That’s what this is for.” Caden gestured to a large piece of rather ancient looking paper that I assumed was a map.

“Alright let’s get this started then.” I said encouragingly.

“I will be seeing you soon.” Markus waved at us as he disappeared from the room.

“Remember no magic can be used.” Caden advised and I rolled my eyes.

“Of course I know that.” I said sarcastically poking my tongue out at him to which he just laughed.

I could see his pleasure at finally being able to leave; his excitement was almost all consuming. I looked up at him and smiled before walking down the stairs and into the land of the Fairies. Time to get this saving the prince thing under way finally.

We filled our canteens with water from the clear pool beneath the waterfall before venturing beyond the meadow. We walked for hours and the scenery changed to one of constant flat plains filled with long scratchy grasses.

We talked together endlessly filling in the time with Caden constantly checking the map. We stopped briefly a few times which I appreciated when I could dump my heavy bag on the ground. Exhaustion struck me as the sun began dipping in the sky.

We stopped near a small fast flowing creek in an easily defensible dip in the land. Fairies were mostly nocturnal unless triggered by magic so I wasn’t looking forward to the darkness approaching.

I pulled out our sleeping bags which I could only wish were the latest modern ones. But these were quite literally sacks of denim like material with no extra padding for comfort or anything like that. It was going to be a long couple of days.

Darkness settled across the land with the songs of birds dying off and only the frogs and crickets left calling. We couldn’t light a fire due to the fairies being attracted to bright lights. I cursed quietly to myself as I dragged the sword Caden had forced me to carry closer to me.

“Come here Charlotte.” His words called soothingly to me in the darkness. I shuffled over next to him as he handed me some dried fruits and nuts from our rations.

“It’s Charlie.” I insisted but he just grunted “This kinda sucks, I wish we could have a fire.” I grumbled while Caden chuckled at me.

He yanked me closer to him until he was able to pull me across his lap, sleeping bag and all. He tucked me against him and rested his chin on my head. I felt instantly warmer and tingly all over as my face rubbed against his shirt.

“Have you thought about what will happen when we get back home?” He asked me and I enjoyed the rumble of his voice as I rested my head against his chest to hear his soothing heartbeat.

“Not really but at least Dad knows where I am. Plus once we are beyond the border we can just blink and zap to wherever we want.” I said with a shrug. He chuckled which reverberated right through me pleasantly.

“I will never get tired of your intriguing descriptions. You will be returning home with me. You did rescue me so in turn your bravery deserves a reward.” I just groaned at his words and shook my head decisively.

“Hell no, I told you this already. I’m not having some dumb parade or any other sort of bull. I’m going home. Ben’s already going to be steamed at all the learning opportunities I’ve missed.” I told him firmly.

“I do not wish you to go.” He whispered starkly while his arms tightened around me.

“I have to go eventually, I live in another world remember.” I said sadly.

How was it that I finally found such a great guy and I know that I couldn’t keep him. Okay obviously the older me was life bonded to her Caden but it seemed so unrealistic from my point of view.

I sighed as I thought of my own parent’s relationship. Did I want to end up with only seeing Caden sporadically? I fiddled with the edges of my sleeping bag as I thought things through.

“It will work out my Charlotte. I will not let you go without a fight.” He assured me fiercely and I felt instantly buoyed by his words “Come let us try to sleep this night.”

I was surprised to find the long grasses made quite comfortable bedding, their scratchiness not an issue with my sleeping bag covering them. With Caden’s arms snuggly around my waist I drifted off into sleep.

Throughout the night, I was awoken by the Fairy hunting calls which sounded like a cross between a gargled screech and a high pitched scream. My heart hammered in my chest when they sounded close but we stayed still and quiet so they were never attracted to us.

Dawn was breaking when Caden got up beside me and then pulled me to my feet. My stomach grumbled at the measly dried bread for breakfast. Then my body protested at the weight of the pack but I never said a word as we began marching determinedly across the plain.

Once the rain started I couldn’t stop from cursing but I kept going. By lunchtime the showers had dissipated and the sun was beating down its hot summery rays. How I hated the unpredictable weather of the plains!

It was shortly after lunch that I heard the stricken cries. Caden didn’t want to deviate but I didn’t care. Some creature needed our help and I wasn’t going to leave it stranded if I could help it. Tears formed in my eyes when I saw what it was.

A huge pool of silver sand, known on earth as quicksand, was spread out before us and encased, struggling inside was a beautiful flying horse. It looked like she had tried to get unstuck by using her feathered wings.

That had only caused her more dramas when her soft downy feathers had also became trapped in the sand. She was slowly sinking and I could see in her eyes that she knew her fate, they were resigned to her own death.

“Charlotte we cannot help her. We are unable to use magic remember.” Caden’s words only flashed my anger to life.

“Caden what is the only creature that Fairies are afraid of?” I argued back, while glaring at him.

“Yes I am well aware that it is the flying horse.” He said on a sigh as his eyes rolled at me.

“Then I am going to levitate her out of there.” I told him firmly only to see frustration leap into his eyes.

“Stop being so stubborn and listen to me. Do you really think she will stay around after you save her? We will be surrounded by Fairies and eaten alive while she just flies away.” He told me angrily but logically.

“I just can’t stand here and watch her die Caden. If it’s the end of my life in exchange for hers then I will happily accept that.” I told him frankly as I looked up at him.

I took a deep breath, stood up on my tiptoes and kissed his soft, delicious lips before turning away from him to face the struggling flying horse. Her eyes were wide with panic and her inevitable demise as I crooned softly to her.

She looked at me and I smiled as reassuringly as I could, which thankfully stopped her thrashing. In my mind I made a giant impenetrable box which I then slipped over her before solidifying it and lifting the box into the air. She looked at me in shock as her glossy chestnut hooves landed on solid ground.

“Charlotte they are here already! What do we do?” Caden shouted out at me.

I heard a barrier zing into the air and knew that this time the fairies had me trapped. Death by being eaten alive, how very unpleasant. Caden quickly threw me a sword which was the only defence we had and we stood back to back, ready for anything.

“I’m sorry Caden, but I couldn’t just leave her there to die.” I said quickly.

“I know that, it is a part of who you are. If we perish this day, I want you to know that you have my heart Charlotte.” His words were soft, determined and wonderfully loving. I felt my heart melt and a loving smile bloom on my face.

“You have mine also.” I told him gently.

I heard the beat of their wings above my heart that was thudding with trepidation. I took a deep breath, tightened my grip on the sword and steeled myself for this fight. The thuds as they landed on the ground reverberated around us.

“Oh screw this! I’m not going to spend my last moments with you fighting Fairies.” I told him honestly.

I turned to face him, wrapped my arms around his neck tight and kissed him with all the pent up emotion inside of me. It only took him a second of shock for his arms to come around me just as tightly and his lips to crash against mine.

Every other time he’d kissed me, he had been soft, and gentle with barely there kisses. This one was rough, hard and almost brutal in its desperation and I revelled in it.

His hands cupped my face as he tilted my head to deepen the kiss. His tongue tickled against mine as wondrous sensations washed through me. I shyly brushed my tongue against his and his groan shook me, thrilling every nerve ending.

Almost in surprise his lips broke from mine and I was too disoriented to focus on anything. Fairies remember, you’re about to be eaten by Fairies. Ah crap how I hated those blasted Fairies! I shook my head and realized Caden stood next to me, his hand in mine and his eyes as wide as saucers.

I turned my focus from him to gasp in shock at what I saw. The beautiful chestnut flying horse I saved was kicking one of the giant Fairies while it tried desperately to escape. I heard the twang as the barrier they threw around us snapped, only to see two more flying horses fighting the Fairies.

“What the hell?” I asked in amazement.

“I have no idea.” Caden mumbled.             

Soon all the Fairies were zooming off as fast as their wings would carry them while the three horses walked over to us. The chestnut mare, still with some silver sand stuck to her, lowered herself onto her knees in front of me and all I could do was gape.

I reached out a hand to touch her face and she allowed it before moving her head to nibble at my fingers. She stood upright and I realized that the other two horses had also lowered themselves to their knees on the ground.

“Her name is Lissa.” I said quietly “His name is Brute.” I pointed to the huge black stallion “And her name is Milla.” I pointed to the smaller chestnut mare.

“That is interesting to know. Perhaps we should start moving before the Fairies return.” I heard Caden’s words but I had trouble acknowledging them. I had just befriended three flying horses! Oh my God I had always wanted one, even though I knew they could never be tamed but now I had three.

Excitement threatened to overwhelm me as I danced around them like crazy. Even the horses looked at me strangely. Three beautiful, stunning flying horses, my brain screeched at me. I wonder if they will let me ride them? I squealed with happiness as I patted each of them in turn.

I turned to see Caden watching me fondly with a raised eyebrow and I realized how silly I was being. But I just couldn’t help myself, they were flying horses! They were thought to be not only unable to be tamed but also aloof and aggressive.

“How about we have a snack before we keep walking.” Caden suggested interrupting my crazy dancing and squealing to which I agreed.

We walked well away from the area where a few dead Fairies still laid. We found a spot further upriver where there were a few trees to shade us all and a small stream to fill our water bottles. The three flying horses followed us diligently and I couldn’t help but smile happily at them

I was considering them as we sat beneath the trees. I wondered okay hoped with all my heart that they would let me fly on their backs. After our snacks, I coaxed Lissa into the water to wash off the rest of the silver sand stuck to her. Caden came to join me and she was just as welcoming to him scrubbing her which made me happy. It would be useless if only one of us could fly them.

We decided to spend the evening there after what had seemed a simple job of removing sand became an appalling nightmare. The stuff stuck to anything it touched like the strongest glue ever. We eventually had to use the prickly grasses to try and get rid of the sand.

I plopped onto the ground exhausted finally done, while Lissa stood in the last rays of sunshine beating her wings to try and dry them. I could hardly take my eyes off her and I was itching to see if she would let me ride her.

“Do you think we could have a fire tonight?” I asked Caden who was busy setting up the camp.

“We are still in Fairy borders remember, perhaps we should wait.” I frowned at his words.

“But these three will protect us.” I gestured to the horses who were now sitting down around us.

“Yes but Fairies are more aggressive at night.” Caden argued and I sighed, he was right.

“Fine uncooked food it is again.” I groaned but he just smiled as he handed me some gross looking, dried something or other.

I slept much better that night. I’m not sure if it was from the horse’s protectiveness or the heat radiating off them. Caden still held me in his arms all night and I snuggled contentedly into the warmth and security he gave me.

I was up before Caden the following morning, almost desperate to see if Lissa would let me fly on her. I called her over to me, when I finally found an elevated spot so I could get onto her back easier. She looked at me puzzled but followed my movements regardless.

The first attempt of course I fell on my butt onto the hard ground, which only made Lissa more skittish. The second time I got one leg across her back before she moved abruptly and I was once again dusting myself off and pushing myself up off the ground.

Third time though, I took a running leap and managed to get onto her back. She pranced a bit uncomfortably as I tried to settle myself onto her correctly. Eventually I was able to hook my toes behind her wings and steer her like that.

She seemed confused as I gently applied pressure with my knees trying to get her to walk but eventually she caught on. By the time Caden sat up bleary eyed, I was trotting across the countryside, whooping and hollering with sheer joy.

Caden watched in amazement as I tried to get her to fly. We galloped across the grasslands continuously until she suddenly seemed to understand what I was asking her for. With one glorious flap of those stunning, copper feathered wings we were in the air.

I had to quickly hold on tight as she soared gracefully into the clouds. I began to gasp desperately for air so I brought her closer to the ground. I tumbled off as she landed delicately feeling giddy and deliriously happy. I had done it, something no other Argonian had ever done. I had ridden a flying horse.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.2K 1.4K 12
I never seemed to fit in. My life in Argonia was never as wonderful as I pretended it was. I loved my family, the quirks of my Argonian home and havi...
8.6K 346 38
"If the stars could even come close to shining as bright as your soul, the night sky would become a marvel that no one could ignore." He tells me, ad...
9.4K 223 8
A sequel to 'Way Back' [also known as the huge mess Charlie has made]. What if the right person comes at the worst possible time? Would you fix your...
160 14 24
What if.. ...when 13-year-old Phoebe finds out that she's a Mirrorgirl? ...she feels welcome at boarding school, but the others hate her? ...when one...